Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've found 12 inch versions of songs tend to have longer introductions without any vocals, so they are ideal for sampling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
The closest thing to Girl Talk I've heard is this guy called E-603. He's actually pretty hard to distinguish from GT. You can get his album for free at http://www.e-603.com/DISCOGRAPHY.html

edit beaten to the count! drat it!

Anyway, I can't really get into ludachrist. It just doesn't tickle my fancy. And Car Stereo's mashups don't sound like they go to together at all. A perfect example is their Mylo American Boy.

Turd Nelson fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 24, 2008

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

There's a girl talk sample that's been driving me nuts and I think this is the best way to get an answer, wiki didn't have the sample either. It's on minute by minute from night ripper at 2:52. Just the bass line. Please help me.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

Brown Moses posted:

I'd really encourage anyone who enjoys mash-up music to give it a shot themselves. Acid Pro 6 has a 30 day trial, and it's pretty straight forward to use with a little direction. I've only been doing it a couple of months, and I've found it to be an extremely enjoyable hobby, especially as I'm teaching myself along the way, so there's a nice sense of exploration and discovery there.

My technique is probably a bit inefficent though, I stick a bunch of music on my iPod, and while I'm travelling to work I rate any songs that might be good for sampling with 5 stars, and when I get home I open iTunes and work my way through the top rated songs, beatmapping and chopping them up into little pieces. Then I'll listen through my big list of samples until I find something good, then start seeing which samples compliment it and start building up the track from their.
Then I try to figure out a transition that doesn't suck, and find a nice acapella sample to layer on top of the first section, and repeat the same process for the next section.
Once I've got a few sections done I'll see if I can add any other background samples to make things more interesting.

I'm guessing felipebacon has a better method, especially as I taught myself how to use Acid
Pro, but if you really like mashup music then I think you would find it very enjoyable to do it yourself, even if you aren't quite up to Girl Talk's level.

I'd love to get more information on creating mash-ups. Does anyone have any more tips or tricks? Maybe we could get a list of software and tutorial websites going.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

danohtwo posted:

There's a girl talk sample that's been driving me nuts and I think this is the best way to get an answer, wiki didn't have the sample either. It's on minute by minute from night ripper at 2:52. Just the bass line. Please help me.

Wikipedia says: 2:45 (15:50) Better Than Ezra - "Good"?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

overtone posted:

I'd love to get more information on creating mash-ups. Does anyone have any more tips or tricks? Maybe we could get a list of software and tutorial websites going.

I'd be happy to give any advice, as limited as my knowledge is. It's just fun to make your own mashups, and I find I listen to my own alot more then any others just because it's music I like anyway, and if I didn't think it sounded cool I wouldn't have made it into an mp3 in the first place.

I've found it's also really opened my eyes to music I wouldn't have really listened to, stuff like early electro music, European early 80's disco, and alot of other genre's that are new to me.

Personally I've found the most difficult thing to do is to create decent transitions between the different parts of my songs. I've got lots of interesting and fun ideas that I've put together, but because I can't get them to transistion nicely into each other they aren't really much use, but when I figure out how to actually make it work it's very satisfying. I listened to alot of Girl Talk to figure out how he did it, then tried to replicate some of the techniques in my own music, to varying degrees of success.

Bathroompants
Aug 19, 2002

ManoliIsFat posted:

They're usually on the 12" single or sometimes the cd single of a song. You can't seperate the vocals out of a mixdown song. Once in a blue moon, you can add an inverted left signal to the right signal, and sometimes you'll get some destructive interference and all you'll be left with is some vocals in a messed up phase, but 95% of the time this stuff comes from a record.

I figured that was the case, but I can never find any when I look for them online. I just sort of had a feeling that there was this underground group I didn't know about that had acapella tracks that I wasn't cool enough to be a part of.

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot
You might also like COCK.

e: j/k

Most of the mashup stuff that I like's already been mentioned, but if you're feeling festive you should check out Santastic (and the sequel). It's a collection of holiday songs by popular mashup artists.

Dr Aldous Huxtable fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 26, 2008

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Dsico

Not quite so many straight mashups as extreme glitched versions of things like J-lo and Sophie Ellis Bextor in addition to electro versions of things like Avril Lavigne and Lionel Ritchie.

http://www.lukecollison.com/dsico/download.html

Note: all the links I tried on here didn't work, but like it says, check for the titles on soulseek or sumthin.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Bathroompants posted:

I figured that was the case, but I can never find any when I look for them online. I just sort of had a feeling that there was this underground group I didn't know about that had acapella tracks that I wasn't cool enough to be a part of.

You'd be surprised how close you can get by carefully chopping out segments of a song. You just got to pick and choose parts carefully, and through looping them you can effectively build up a non-vocal version of a part of the song.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Nam Taf posted:

You'd be surprised how close you can get by carefully chopping out segments of a song. You just got to pick and choose parts carefully, and through looping them you can effectively build up a non-vocal version of a part of the song.

If you read Pitchfork's old interterview with Gillis here he makes it sound like most of his stuff came straight off of :filez:. Unless he has access to someplace where they trade rips of karaoke/vocals-only tracks ripped from vinyl, I'd guess that he does quite a bit of what you're saying.

Still though, I've noticed in listening to a lot of albums by various artists discussed in this thread that a lot of songs seem to get sampled over and over again. It makes me wonder why we don't have a bit more variety. Perhaps those songs have easily-sampled sections or sample-ready versions readily available? Alternately, people just like to reuse the samples Gillis used, or even more simply that those are popular/good songs so everyone wants to sample them. I guess each is probably some combination of the three.

Still, I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to make an album in this style without sampling My Neck My Back, Work It, or Soulja Boy somewhere in it.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 26, 2008

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I consider myself a big fan of mashup and DJing in particular.

The Avalanches are a must as are 2 Many DJs.

You can't go wrong with DJ Shadow, RJD2, or even Kid Koala.

Thanks for that Ludachrist page. Those mixes are fantastic.

Sinusoid
Aug 20, 2007
Math LOL!
Thank you so much! Track 5 just took the rick roll to a level I never thought possible.

quote:

Still, I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to make an album in this style without sampling My Neck My Back, Work It, or Soulja Boy somewhere in it.
Apparently Audacity can remove vocals from a track, so you could sample whatever you want.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

I want to know if it's possible to make a track that is interesting that samples only those songs.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Finding awesome samples that Girl Talk or someone else hasn't got to already is a real pain in the arse.

Sinusoid
Aug 20, 2007
Math LOL!

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

check out Santastic (and the sequel). It's a collection of holiday songs by popular mashup artists.
I'm going to play the sequel over Christmas dinner.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Listening to E-603 right now. The first few songs weren't all that great, but the middle to the end of the album is fantastic.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

JaWs posted:

Listening to E-603 right now. The first few songs weren't all that great, but the middle to the end of the album is fantastic.

This is how I felt. From about Trash the Club onwards, the album just blew into high heaven. The last two tracks are so good. I love them.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

Brown Moses posted:

I'd be happy to give any advice, as limited as my knowledge is. It's just fun to make your own mashups, and I find I listen to my own alot more then any others just because it's music I like anyway, and if I didn't think it sounded cool I wouldn't have made it into an mp3 in the first place.

I've found it's also really opened my eyes to music I wouldn't have really listened to, stuff like early electro music, European early 80's disco, and alot of other genre's that are new to me.

Personally I've found the most difficult thing to do is to create decent transitions between the different parts of my songs. I've got lots of interesting and fun ideas that I've put together, but because I can't get them to transistion nicely into each other they aren't really much use, but when I figure out how to actually make it work it's very satisfying. I listened to alot of Girl Talk to figure out how he did it, then tried to replicate some of the techniques in my own music, to varying degrees of success.

I know you mentioned Acid Pro, is there any other software you use or would recommend?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well with my limited experience of this sort of thing I've really only used Acid Pro, so my exclusion of other software isn't a judgement on them, just a reflection of my lack of experience. It's very nice though, the beatmapping tool makes things ALOT easier.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

Brown Moses posted:

Well with my limited experience of this sort of thing I've really only used Acid Pro, so my exclusion of other software isn't a judgement on them, just a reflection of my lack of experience. It's very nice though, the beatmapping tool makes things ALOT easier.

I didn't know Acid Pro had a feature like that. Definitely checking this software out, thanks!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

overtone posted:

I know you mentioned Acid Pro, is there any other software you use or would recommend?
Ableton Live is the easiest for warping the vocals nicely. I like cutting up stuff in Fruity Loops, but that's just me.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006
That "Don't Worry, I'm Yours" mashup guy.

(Formerly known as "that Half-Life 2 remix guy.")

Brown Moses posted:

Looking for critiques

I figured I'd toss in my two cents:

Some Jeans Last a Long Time - Your use of samples feels slightly more spread out than GirlTalk's, and that works for the most part (feels more like a solid mix than a single, mash-up song). I really enjoyed the instrumentals you selected, but I didn't recognize most of the vocals (nothing you can do about that though). I noticed that this track starts off rather soft and quiet until the third vocal came in. Was that on purpose? Certain parts of the track change really abruptly, and the results are mixed. Sometimes it creates energy, other times its too unexpected. I can't really pinpoint which occur where. The track ends really abruptly too which threw me off.

Brown Moses (feat. Tonyflamethrower) - Last Night I Wanted A DJ to Save My Life.mp3 - Neat opening! The percussion really captured my attention. Parts of the "turn off/up(?) the beat" vocal feel a little bit off sync from the beat (and not very audible), but overall it fits. Again, a really abrupt ending. I thought the track was going to build up to use more from "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life", or at least build up to something else. Something about the track - maybe the baseline - had this "pushing-forward" vibe, which worked, but then the whole song didn't really go anywhere for me.

Just Staying For A Dance - Whoa that was weird. My brain assumed the rhythm of the track based on the female vocal (especially with the hand claps), but when the next set of instrumentation comes in everything shifts over about a beat and throws me off. I'm loving the "Da Da Da" sample, but the Beastie Boys' "Intergalactic" vocal doesn't fit very well for me until the instrumentation changes again. The Latin vibe is really fun. I hope you do more with that. Again with the abrupt ending! Are these tracks taken form a larger mix or something?

Perfect Trouble - More Beastie Boys this time. Awesome (some sync issues throughout though). I like the bass - it complements the vocals. The groovy synth-pop works great! Not digging the second vocal sample - I don't think it fits well at all. The third vocal works pretty well though (still some sync issues here and there). Love the new instrumentation after the breakdown! Very funky. Yet another abrupt end! You're killing me here! I feel like I just got musically blue-balled.

---

Here's a cross-post from the "how do I make electronic/club/DJ music" Megathread. I'm looking for some technical input from that thread. Perhaps someone here could offer a "mash-up" critique as well? I'd appreciate some input.

DJ Dain - Dirrty Ghosts Get The Party Started (Deadmau5 vs. Christina Aguilera & Method Man vs. Pink)

Note: Just a heads up that I don't produce the same kind of mash-ups like GirlTalk with 20-song-samples-in-one.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
You guys ever think this stuff will become passé?

I hope not.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thanks for the input on the track, I think my tendency to end thing suddenly on the good bits comes from a sense that I want to end on a high, and I think I need a bit more practise working on the endings. I'm thinking that eventually I'll try to combine the 4 tracks, but I'm going to have to take a break from it for a little while, just as I was getting into the swing of things. At least I can still find lots of mp3's to sample, then when I have more free time go crazy. Once I get back home from work I'll give your track a listen.

I've got loads of acapella versions of songs, if it was acceptable and unbannable I would post them somewhere everyone could download them from, but I'm a bit vague on whether posting acapella's is an okay thing to do here.

I think mashups will be around for a long time, seeing it's just like mixing with digital editing packages. Or rap where you sample the music and lyrics instead of just the music.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

hammeredspace posted:

You guys ever think this stuff will become passé?

I hope not.

:awesome:
Mash-up's are not new by any stretch of the imagination. Negativland has been making sound collages since the 70's, and dancey mash-ups started popping up in the mid 80's on college radio stations. Even the super heavy sampling glitch-pop Girl Talk-esqe stuff started about ten years ago with Soulwax's '2 Many DJs' shtick.

Basically, Mash-Ups are not a new genre, and there will always be artists playing 2 or more songs simultaneously. It will always sounds cool. Worse comes to worst, it'll go underground and a bunch of nerds will keep playing it even if it sucks (see ska...)

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

baberaham lincoln posted:

Mash-up's are not new by any stretch of the imagination. Negativland has been making sound collages since the 70's, and dancey mash-ups started popping up in the mid 80's on college radio stations. Even the super heavy sampling glitch-pop Girl Talk-esqe stuff started about ten years ago with Soulwax's '2 Many DJs' shtick.

Basically, Mash-Ups are not a new genre, and there will always be artists playing 2 or more songs simultaneously. It will always sounds cool. Worse comes to worst, it'll go underground and a bunch of nerds will keep playing it even if it sucks (see ska...)

I wouldn't even call it a genre per say. It's more of a remixing technique.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
To the OP, if you normally like rock stuff, you may dig Umphrey McGee's haloween show from this year.

http://www.archive.org/details/um2008-10-31..flac16

setlist notes posted:

#1 Robot Rock/Roadhouse Blues was a mash-up of Daft Punk and The Doors
#4 TNT/Paranoid/Dirty Deeds was a mash-up of AC/DC and Black Sabbath
#5 Money/7 Nation Army/How Many More Times? was a mash-up of The White Stripes, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin
#6 Another Brick in the Wall/Thriller was a mash-up of Pink Floyd and Michael Jackson
#7 Walk/Sad But True/Clint Eastwood was a mash-up of Pantera, Metallica and The Gorillaz

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry

baberaham lincoln posted:

What strikes me is that, in the vast majority, these are all songs I wouldn't listen to individually. Like, I really don't care for rap, but the things some of these guys do with it makes it sound great to me. I feel like I'm being intolerant of a genre until they pour a pound of sugar on it, like medicine.

PhonicsMonkey
Sep 20, 2005

That's a bad PhonicsMonkey!
I don't think it's been said yet so I am going to refer everyone to listen to Divide & Kreate. His music is the poo poo, and he is Swedish. http://www.divideandkreate.com/
A couple of other good DJs are DJ BC and DJ Moule http://www.djbc.net/ http://www.djmoule.com/

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

hammeredspace posted:

What strikes me is that, in the vast majority, these are all songs I wouldn't listen to individually. Like, I really don't care for rap, but the things some of these guys do with it makes it sound great to me. I feel like I'm being intolerant of a genre until they pour a pound of sugar on it, like medicine.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I go ape poo poo for stuff like top 40 hits if they're mixed with other stuff but I wouldn't be caught dead listening to the original songs.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

danohtwo posted:

I'd definitely recommend super mash bros. I didn't like E-603 quite as much, but I'd put super mash right up there with girl talk any day. and best of all, the album is free.

http://www.myspace.com/sprmshbros

Came to post Ludachrist, but I'm loving this.

Edit: I almost died laughing at the sandstorm/soulja boy part. This is worth checking out.

chrix fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 1, 2008

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Bucket Joneses posted:

Ugh, no. This disc is loving awful.

Don't pass off BootieNYC's website because of this guy though. I built up a pretty extensive collection of Mashups from this site's "mashup of the month" part. There are gems like When Six Songs Collide, Black Beatles, Beethoven's 5th Golddigger. There are others that I like more than these, but I cannot find youtubes for them.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What program do people use to make these mash-ups?

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King

danohtwo posted:

I'd definitely recommend super mash bros. I didn't like E-603 quite as much, but I'd put super mash right up there with girl talk any day. and best of all, the album is free.

Any chance someone can go through and name the tracks that are used in the Super Mash Bros. album? Some of the tracks used are so familiar but I can't quite name them!

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

Most people I know use either Sony Acid or Ableton Live.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Dain22 posted:

Most people I know use either Sony Acid or Ableton Live.

I'd say Ableton, because of how good the warping features are, is the better of the two for this kind of thing. It's also great when you want to look into Djing/production too.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Ableton Live is the name I hear thrown around the most. It is very versatile and has a really nice interface for organizing samples during live shows. I've only played around with the demos, so I have no clue how the recording process would go...

Ableton is what both E-603 and Easter Egg use... along with Daft Punk and Justice and Nine Inch Nails, although the latter mostly use it for mixing/DJing purposes. As of October 8th 2008, Girl Talk uses Audio Mulch, which is a PC only program, so I have no clue what one would expect...

Really you can use almost any software that allows you to see the sound waves of the track, as that's the easiest (and most tedious) way to snip out a short sample for looping. Audacity would be alright for just that. Again, I'm speaking from very little experience... just play around with some of those programs and see what you can get to work!

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...

danohtwo posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the single greatest thing I've listened to in the past few months. Thanks for pointing them out!

I even prefer listening to this over Girl Talk, which I had been listening to in my car for the past 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beechbone
Jan 27, 2005
Where da bonez at???
I've been in a pretty heated argument over the sample that is the beat starting at 1:37 on e-603s "Wanna Get Low", can anyone help me out? I swear it's a loop from "Time after time".