Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's a lot to like here, and overall it's definitely better than "Something for Everyone" but it's still not hitting the heights of "Feed the Animals" for me. He's still not as seamless in the way he cuts up his samples as Girl Talk is, and he leaves some samples go on for far too long (There's way too much 'Teenage Dirtbag' for example. And that loving song about a stripper who has a kid at home and she needs the money or something - I'm sure he plays nearly the whole song). On the whole I do think that the Girl Talk albums just sound better, like they got higher production values.

There is some great stuff though. The opening track is great, particulary the cut that has Blink 182 in the background, that then returns later in the track. Also, I did just poo poo on the use of "Teenage Dirtbag" but the rest of the track that follows is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I posted a thread about this a while back but I don't know if enough people saw this, because seriously everyone needs to. I just found this thread and combed through it and didn't see it mentioned, if it has I'm sorry.

Team Teamwork - The Ocarina of Rhyme
http://www.myspace.com/teamteamwork
http://8tracks.com/teamteamwork/the-ocarina-of-rhyme

Rap songs vs. Zelda, Some samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbvPVoVicok - Jay-Z "No Hook"/Meeting the Owl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHGidlPeXo - Common "I Used to Love H.E.R."/Hyrule Market
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplMlB9wQSo - Slim Thug & Mike Jones "Still Trippin'"/Great Fairy's Fountain.

This is what got me into mash-ups. I love this album so hard. Also this thread, there's some great poo poo in here.

vvv I originally was way more into the 1-on-1 mash-ups, probably why this has become one of my favorites.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 22, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I just can't get into Team Teamwork. I guess not having the rapidfire mashup changes doesn't really do it for me. I don't listen to any of this sort of music normally (that is, pop/r&b/etc.) so I guess that may be it, since TT borrows a bit too much for my liking from the same songs, being generally 1 song over top of one of the Zelda tunes.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

If you're up for some Zelda-Hip Hop Mashup, go for The Legend of Curtis, an EP by Ludachrist (though I'm sure most of the people in the thread have heard it)

http://www.worshipludachrist.com/worshipludachrist/mp3s/Legend%20of%20Curtis%20EP.zip

Reptar The King
Nov 6, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm going to assume this is fake, but nonetheless, go see him live, and go see him as drunk as possible.

I'm just not liking the new E-603 album, to be honest. There are some good moments, but the samples he uses are slightly too obscure for me. However, near the end with Abba mixed with Katy Perry blew my mind entirely.

Why would you assume it's fake? Our campus activities board booked him for our Fall back to school concert. I go to Fordham University, I can PM you the Facebook event if you'd like, or an article in the paper once it happens.

Reptar The King fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 22, 2009

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Reptar The King posted:

Why would you assume it's fake? Our campus activities board booked him for our Fall back to school concert. I go to Fordham University, I can PM you the Facebook event if you'd like, or an article in the paper once it happens.

I think because you said you heard he isn't good live. And girltalk is known for being crazy live.

Not to say that that makes him any good, but I just think that was the logic.

Reptar The King
Nov 6, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BrainDance posted:

I think because you said you heard he isn't good live. And girltalk is known for being crazy live.

Not to say that that makes him any good, but I just think that was the logic.

Two people I know went to see him and they said he just comes out and hits spacebar on his laptop and dances.

More video game mashups:

Dizzie Rascal vs. Double Dragons -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SYzKOpiMk

Final Fantasy VII battle music sampled in a Kool G. Rap song -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjS0d5OxrZs

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
Girl Talk came to my college earlier this year. It was insane. Get drunk, dress crazy, then get crazy. I can't wait til I get the chance to see him again.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Nam Taf posted:

It's up. Holy poo poo. I don't know what I want to do. Those pricing options rock. I'm going to have to think about which I want to do.

Anyhow, because his site will inevitably get raped, :siren: here is a mirror of E-603 - Torn Up :siren:

I never thanked you for the mirror. I used it. Thanks.

When he's using samples I haven't heard before, this album is awesome, but whenever I get into it he throws in something I've heard in every single mashup album and I get a little disappointed. Still, it's great, and if I hadn't listened to so much in this genre already I'd be wowed all over again. It's kind of difficult to judge objectively as a result.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Lakitu7 posted:

I never thanked you for the mirror. I used it. Thanks.

When he's using samples I haven't heard before, this album is awesome, but whenever I get into it he throws in something I've heard in every single mashup album and I get a little disappointed. Still, it's great, and if I hadn't listened to so much in this genre already I'd be wowed all over again. It's kind of difficult to judge objectively as a result.

what's the sample in the background with the keyboard-like sound in 2:15 of "Do Your Thang"?

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Torn Up is awesome. Extremely fun to listen to. I think some of the song choices were just genius. City High's What Would You Do? with Supersonic's Closing Time? Yes, please.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

JaWs posted:

City High's What Would You Do? with Supersonic's Closing Time? Yes, please.

Agreed, that's one of the high points for me, too.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
E-603 - Torn Up is pretty good, but there's a few bits recycled from Girl Talk's Night Ripper...

It's annoying, but I'll give it some time.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

First listen through with Torn Up was disappointing and I shut it off after 5 tracks. Feed the Animals, Night Ripper and Super Mash Bros' gently caress Bitches, Get Euros all grabbed me immediately and with a poppy mash up that's what I want. I'll give it another try in a day or two.

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King
Can someone who knows their music please do a tracklist of this album? It's awesome and I really want to know where all the samples come from!

Also whats the backing track that starts at 1:06 on Hey Shorty? It's very familiar, it was on my one of my other playlists but I just can't name it.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

lewi posted:

Can someone who knows their music please do a tracklist of this album? It's awesome and I really want to know where all the samples come from!

Also whats the backing track that starts at 1:06 on Hey Shorty? It's very familiar, it was on my one of my other playlists but I just can't name it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPT_3PEjnsE

I guess the rains down in affffffffffffrrriccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Geno posted:

what's the sample in the background with the keyboard-like sound in 2:15 of "Do Your Thang"?

It's familiar, but I really can't name it out of context, sorry.

I wish he'd release a list like lots of the other mashup-type guys do. :(

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992
Super Mash Bros new album All About the Scrillions out now!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mwxzbjv2imj

sugad
May 30, 2005

Kerk posted:

Touch The Sky + Let's Dance might be new favorite mash up.

edit: I may have spoken too soon...Super Mash Bros. have stepped their game up.

edit2: A seriously good idea: get stoned as gently caress and listen to this album.

sugad fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 25, 2009

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I'm really unimpressed with All About The Scrilions so far. It's more than okay to have repeat vox samples since there are only so many a capellas out there, but it's boring when you hear the same background samples as other artists. On 'From Honor Roll...' it would not have been hard to sample any other Ratatat song...
So far the only thing that has really impressed me is the RHCPxRick Ross mash. Other than a few great flashes of brilliance, it's sloppy transitions between various A+B mashes.

Meanwhile, Milkman is officially on my radar. Some of his songs are just pure bangers. He's a very technically proficient masher, and some of his samples are just awesome. Slip-ups are few and far between on his newest album.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Anyone have some Girl Talk/E603/Super Mash Bros. type schizophrenic mash ups but with a little less focus on rap? I'm really loving them but I get a little rapped out sometimes

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

teacup posted:

Anyone have some Girl Talk/E603/Super Mash Bros. type schizophrenic mash ups but with a little less focus on rap? I'm really loving them but I get a little rapped out sometimes

The problem here is that very few rock songs have easily accessible a capellas. If you're really jonesing, check out some older stuff like 2 Many DJ's or Evolutionary Control Committee.

failing that, make you're own. No one has really tried doing a compositional sampling album sans rap samples in recent memory... get at it!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

baberaham lincoln posted:

The problem here is that very few rock songs have easily accessible a capellas. If you're really jonesing, check out some older stuff like 2 Many DJ's or Evolutionary Control Committee.

failing that, make you're own. No one has really tried doing a compositional sampling album sans rap samples in recent memory... get at it!

Yeah I had the same idea re: a capella tracks. I think also it helps that rapping over something seems to gel well in a lot more cases...

And as for me making mash ups- I'm ultimate fail. :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Kerk posted:

Likin' dis.

edit: :siren: Mirror! :siren:

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 25, 2009

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

baberaham lincoln posted:

Meanwhile, Milkman is officially on my radar. Some of his songs are just pure bangers. He's a very technically proficient masher, and some of his samples are just awesome. Slip-ups are few and far between on his newest album.

Holy poo poo, totally forgot about circle of fifths. Just bought and I'm utterly blown away. Amazing samples, tight mixing, and All the Things She Said + Montell Jordan + Hustler just blew me away.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!

Reptar The King posted:

Girl Talk is coming to my school in September but I've heard he is very boring live. Anyone see him?

Also, this thread is great. I love Ludachrist.

Listening to e-603 right now, not liking it as much as Girl Talk. I just remember listening to Night Ripper and Feed the Animals for the first time and having my mind blown several times at the mashups.

Girl Talk live is a blast. All he does is mash buttons on his crappy Dell laptop wrapped in saran wrap and takes off his clothes, but its a giant dance party. I saw him at the Fillmore in SF and got on stage. Definitely a good time.

Edit: just downloaded Milkman, digging it a lot.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Echo_ posted:

Listening to e-603 right now, not liking it as much as Girl Talk. I just remember listening to Night Ripper and Feed the Animals for the first time and having my mind blown several times at the mashups.

Girl Talk live is a blast. All he does is mash buttons on his crappy Dell laptop wrapped in saran wrap and takes off his clothes, but its a giant dance party. I saw him at the Fillmore in SF and got on stage. Definitely a good time.

Edit: just downloaded Milkman, digging it a lot.

if you like Feed The Animals more than Night Ripper, you might like E-603's Something For Everyone more than Torn Up...

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006
That "Don't Worry, I'm Yours" mashup guy.

(Formerly known as "that Half-Life 2 remix guy.")

Kerk posted:

Holy poo poo, totally forgot about circle of fifths. Just bought and I'm utterly blown away. Amazing samples, tight mixing, and All the Things She Said + Montell Jordan + Hustler just blew me away.

Strongly seconding this. I think "Circle of fifths" is my new favourite album of this kind of mash-up.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Circle of Fifths is fantastic, but I am going nuts not being able to identify a guitar part in "Want it All", starts at 2:02. Does anyone have a sample list, or failing that, a better memory than mine to identify the song it comes from?

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

RandomCheese posted:

Circle of Fifths is fantastic, but I am going nuts not being able to identify a guitar part in "Want it All", starts at 2:02. Does anyone have a sample list, or failing that, a better memory than mine to identify the song it comes from?

Would love a tracklist for this. Seems everytime a mash-up album comes out theres always a few loops that bug the hell out of me because I can't remember the song. Like in Hands Up on Circle for Fifths, the housey riff that comes in at 5 seconds. Any help?

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King
Kylie - Love at first sight

Edit for more content:
I feel the same - I always want some kind of tracklist just so I can stop the annoying 'I know what this is but oh god what the hell is it called' feeling. Could anyone set up some kind of wiki that we could collaborate on to provide a tracklist when they don't come with the downloads?

lewi fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 27, 2009

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Kerk posted:

WIN!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Dain22 posted:

Strongly seconding this. I think "Circle of fifths" is my new favourite album of this kind of mash-up.

Checking out his first album, Lactose and THC. It's not yet grabbed me in any mindblowing awesome sections (there was one in the sample song of CoF) but I'm not far into it yet. That doesn't mean it's bad, but I figure if a mashup can grab me, make a big poo poo-eating grin form on my face and make me say 'woah!' then it's good mashup.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
Digging the new albums, but with every sample that comes nothing on my mix will be unique by the time I finally decide it's done.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
some of the parts of "Circle of Fifths" feel trance/technoy like in "Hands Up" and "Lights Out" where it's the same beat over and over. i thought i was listening to a mash-up album?

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
It's true that he basically hits play in itunes and dances around (though, he actually does mix stuff live...if you notice, the songs never change when he's away from the computer) but he throws the CRAZIEST party I've EVER been to. At Bonnaroo this year he had 10,000 straight guys screaming the lyrics to Kelly Clarkson...

also, get as close as you can. It's way more fun when you see how crazy he gets on the stage. If something important doesn't get unplugged or broken at least once the crowd must be asleep.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

PopetasticPerson posted:

It's true that he basically hits play in itunes and dances around

Try again. True, it's not as hard as straight vinyl DJ'ing, but it's harder than "pressing play". I know that my friend puts a lot of prep work before his shows, getting the samples he wants and organizing them in a reasonable way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah GT does a bit more than that, he has tons of Audiomulch scripts set up and does mixing on the fly.

Listening to 'Torn Up' some more and I just can't get into it. I think the first track is amazing, and to be honest it just seems to coast on that goodwill for a few tracks. On the whole I have to say it's fairly mediocre but is punctuated by moments of greatness.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Seeing him live will make his CDs sound much better. I didn't like Feed the Animals really until I saw him and 'got' it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
So I got all the Girl Talk, Smash Bros, E-603, Easter Egg, LudaChrist, and Outlaws albums.

E-603 is my favorite followed closed by Mash Bros.

Am I missing anything?