Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Social Animal posted:

There was this old Chinese warez cd back in the day (95 or 96 maybe?) that had this game where you rode around in futuristic motorcycles around a huge arena shooting other cycles. I remember the arena being huge with all sorts of obstacles and flips. The graphics were in 3d as well and I think it was playable online. Any ideas?

Rocket Jockey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Unreal posted:

Here's two more I can't figure out for the life of me.

First up: It's a side-scrolling platformer from around 92-94. You're a wizard/mage, and you have a wand that you can use to zap tiles while you go around collecting treasure. It's not Hocus Pocus.

Probably too old, but the tile-zapping wand makes me think of Solomon's Key.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Corridor posted:

Bumping this in case someone remembers it. Stupid game was retarded fun. If no one gets it this time I'll consider it lost to the internet. :(

Sounds vaguely similar to Hateful Chris? That was linear and had a plot and stages though.

ponzicar posted:

That sounds like Lucky and Wild.

Lucky and Wild had a wheel and two pistols, but I'm pretty sure it did start with your windshield being destroyed, so...

moller fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 18, 2009

moller
Jan 10, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm looking for the name of a fighting game that was perhaps a PC exclusive from the early 90s. It had graphics on par with Mortal Kombat games and all the playable characters were distinctly human except for one which was sort of a lizard-man (or some other green monster). The game was fully 2D and rendered in a realistic style. The box art of the game had mostly dark grey and red or orange, there was possibly a big letter or symbol in it. For some reason, I think the name was something like "apocalypse" or something similar.

This has been bugging me for years. Too bad my memories are so vague. :saddowns:

Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport?

small change posted:

This is probably the worst of these posts that I've ever made but here goes anyway. Its a game for the genesis that was partly space exploration and then had a sidescrolling element when on space stations and stuff (I think, I'm not totally sure on this part).

I remember the ship you controlled looking vaguely like the Enterprise and that in the side scrolling sections you were wearing a fairly conventional NASA style space suit. The space section involved flying around and then communicating or fighting with the various aliens you met.

I know this one was already called, but I just want to say that Starflight for the Genesis is an excellent game, probably my favorite of the genre. Might be nostalgia though.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Ok, let's see. It was a point and click game, I am sure of it. At the begining you're a little boy, I remember you could go in a pool and dive to go into a different aquatic world. It was a old game, probably made in the early 90's. It was for PC.

Ecoquest?

moller fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 28, 2009

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Rudger posted:

T&C Surf Design

Why did everyone have a copy of that terrible, terrible game?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

olaf2022 posted:

Might be thinking of Amagon for NES?

Hah, I was about to post this, but I think those were spiders. They actually look more chrysalids than crabs or spiders.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

charismaslover posted:

Holy poo poo, you are awesome. Thank you, time to relive the experiance.

If you have mame or something there's an entire genre of games like this, called "reveal" usually. Qix and Gal's Panic are two of the original as far as I know. They often feature naked cartoon ladies.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Dravonn posted:

There was this SNES platform game that I used to play when I was young. It was co-op and you controlled a short Asian guy (with a sword? maybe?) who would eat rice cakes for health. I can't remember anything more but the name of this game is killing me.

Edit: The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

I loved the minigames in that, and the fact that you attacked with a variety of, ahem, smoking implements. It's one of the few games in the incredibly long running and prolific Ganbare Goemon series to be released in America. I think there was one other on the SNES and one for the N64. If you have access to Japanese console games though there are a million of these to play.

The main character is based upon a japanese folk hero - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikawa_Goemon

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Okay, I've got one. Ancient DOS game, EGA graphics or so and buzzer for sound. It had the trappings of a fantasy RPG, with a knight and perhaps a few other units battling a dragon, but the gameplay was a pong/arkanoid sort of thing with you bouncing a ball back and forth.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Inverse square posted:

Whaaaaaat is the name of this mod for either doom or quake that involved hand-drawn sprites in black and white? Apparently it was very eerie.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/ ?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The roadblasters question reminded me - 90s arcade game, some sort of police chase scenario. When you were within range of an enemy or target car, the dude riding shotgun would lean out of the side window and fire a handgun at the car to disable it. I don't recall if you controlled the firing or not. It's not Lucky and Wild or Chase HQ.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

JimProfitAnon posted:

Does anyone remember the name of a Windows game... my older brother had it with Duke Nukem, it was some sort of racing game.

Yeah, as Septimus said, it was Death Rally. Duke Nukem's car was called "The Deliverator", so he was like a double easter egg.

Plinth posted:

Chase HQ 2?

Thanks, you rock. The arcade game seems to have dropped the "Chase HQ2" bit though, the signage just said Special Criminal Investigation.

moller fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 16, 2010

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Shadowborn posted:

I remember playing a demo of an X-Com-like SWAT-themed game back in the mid-late 90's. You were given a mission briefing by your commander, a British lady who kinda reminded me of Judi Dench, in an FMV sequence. The mission in the demo was to storm a house and rescue a family who had been taken hostage. After the briefing you could buy weapons and equipment for your team. Then the game switched to an isometric perspective for the actual mission.

I can't remember if the actual gameplay had any distinguishing features really, but one thing I do remember is that your boss would react to how you prepared for the mission. If you spent too much money, she would first call you up and scoff at you. If you kept spending, she would eventually suspend you. The same thing would happen if you took too long before actually starting the mission. I think she reacted if you tried to go into battle without sufficient equipment too.

Sound familiar to anyone?

It was set in modern times and turn based?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Mad Mage Era posted:

The only thing I remember of it was one death scene (or I assume it was a death scene). It was a scene where a character (your character?) rotted away, going from flesh-and-bone to just a skeleton in a dissolving transition. The image was focused on the character's head and shoulders and he was lying on the ground.

The death scene really, really sounds like westwood/cryo's Dune. Some of the rest of your description made me think of Wasteland.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

TeamJesus posted:

I used to have a game back when I had a Windows 3.0 computer, though it may have been a DOS game.

In it, you dropped balls straight down from the top of a gamemap, and the ball would follow a pre-determined path. It could deflect, hit switches, or hit bad guys... but you could only choose which spot horizontally you dropped it from.

I recall it being a two player game.

Ultimately, it was a puzzle game as you would have to use some of the balls to open a door, move a bad guy, etc.

I have absolutely no idea what it was called but it was fun as hell.

It wasn't like The Incredible Machine where you were building these systems, you just had to solve them.

The mechanic sounds like a Pachinko game. (Well, technically more like Plinko!)

Could it be 1997's Pachinko by Brian Kent?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Real time strategy game, red robots fighting blue robots. More reinforcements constantly spawned out of factories you had to seize control of. The map was a series of zones with these factories in the middle of the... and if you sent foot robots to go attack a tank, they'd complain. I think there was a cigar chewing sergeant robot who gave you the missions?

All attempts to find this game's identity have been stymied by the Red vs. Blue series.

Z

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Matt Cruea posted:

Super Nintendo Game where the hero is a nerdy schlub who is really afraid of everything in the level.

Lester the Unlikely

Edit: poo poo.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Down Right Fierce posted:

Okay, I've got one.
It was an arcade game. It was a third person shooter. There was name entry/character saving (?). It was multiplayer and machines were linked (I remember playing 2player with my friend, no idea if more people could join.) There was a control for movement and a control for aiming and it seemed super weird at the time to have one hand do one and the other do the other. I think one was 4 buttons and the other might have been an arcade stick or something. I think the machine was green or yellow. It was probably about a decade ago if not more that I played it. I think it was a dollar per credit back then. It was in Tennessee (maybe). I want to say you fought enemey soldiers/bosses/ aliens, there was a little bit of platforming and battleground movement/positioning.
I have no idea what it was called.

Anybody?

Was it possibly Sega's Outtrigger? I can't find a cabinet pic.

Edit: http://youtu.be/d8utwhegGrQ

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Koorisch posted:

Does anyone know about some old game from around the PS1 era for the PC where you had a team of soldiers fighting against a horrifying infestation of some kind of biomass tissue that covers a lot of the city and it's making all these really hosed up monsters and are creating holes with teeth and transforming cars into piles of pulsating goo and several other cool but gross things?

It's not Infestation at least, that much I know.

I seem to remember seeing it in a old CD-Gamer from the nineties, can't remember more than that sadly. :(

Odium / Gorky Park?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Elukka posted:

How about a sidescrolling educational game like this, where you collect letters to get words, but you fly some sort of helicopter? The first level was a cave and brown, the second one was snowy, the third was some sort of space station.

There's a Spellicopter and a Super Spellicopter. One of those?

vvv

seiferguy posted:

That's similar but this game was a birds eye / top down view instead of the side scrolling one.

Bolo Ball? Elements? Bombuzal? Rock & Roll? Supaplex? Freakin' Funky Fuzzballs?

moller fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 15, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

ColoradoCleric posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a game that's like age of empires but was more focused on city building and had you managing resources for things like paying for your military, there was definitely a trade aspect to this game as you could make offers with the other players. There was also an auto resolve feature for its basic RTS matches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was this one of the Caesar games?

If not one of the Caesars, perhaps one of their Sierra-published sequels like Zeus or Emperor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Building_Series

I got pretty addicted to Emperor: RoTMK a few years ago and always meant to try some of the others.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

nitsuga posted:

This might be a long shot, but I'm trying to find an old computer game.

It was a black and white shooter game set in a maze. The character that stands out to me is a floating smiley face with an evil grin. If I remember right it was a multipack of games too. This probably would have been around the era of Windows 95 or 98.

Sorry, don't mind the crazy guy, but please if anybody knows!

first person - MIDI Maze was the progenitor of Faceball and was ported to everything, I'm not sure why a variant would be B&W on win9x though.

overhead - zzt or some roguelike?

nitsuga posted:

Also, I was just looking recently and found a webpage that had a bunch of old free games. Marathon was on there for sure, but there was another game set in the '90s where you were a computer hacker. Any idea what game this is? What about the link?

I've tried thinking of what I searched for, but I can't seem to find the same page, nor did I bookmark it. I guess in the meantime I'll look.

Not this: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/486-best-free-classic-pc-games.html#s16

Neuromancer? System Shock? Circuit's Edge? Hacker? Uplink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

This one is for a friend, he has tried to remember what this game is since we were both kids but has always come up blank. So it's supposedly a PS1 game where you play as an orphan or some kids or something and someone is trying to catch you with traps or something. Super vague but i'm trying to relay half remembered info from third grade him.

Heart of Darkness?

• Locked thread