Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

The first two games I can't remember had some weird FMV clips going on. #1 had you in control of a futuristic supply/smuggler train on future train-tracks, in a trench, from a first person perspective. Some of the enemies, including one of the bosses, looked sort of like blue and green Milennium Falcon ripoffs, and you could switch tracks at certain points. Also, there was a sound test or something in the menu with a smiley face that said boomshakalaka and stuff.

This is Loadstar: The Legend of Tully Bodine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This has got to be Seventh Cross Evolution.

There's actually a couple of Japan only Dreamcast games that fit this bill also like Golem and LOL if you're interested. The only other US one that comes close is Seaman, though it revolves more around conversation than evolution.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I've seen some really obscure stuff get found here, so I'll give this one a shot.

It was a game I dug up on the internet around 2000, it must have been shareware because the free version I downloaded only let you play a small bit of it. It was probably some long-gone indie game developer too, because everything had a really low budget feel to it.

The details are fuzzy, but I remember it having the elements of a point and click adventure game, with an inventory. It was set sometime during the Middle Ages, and things weren't too pleasant. The game had a really gritty and nasty feel to it. I believe you played as some kind of witch, but I'm not sure that the character was female. I remember the part I played involved having to find an eyeball or something from some creature, which you mixed into a cauldron with other items you had to dig up.

The thing I remember most about it were the graphics, they were really simple VGA-quality graphics but the whole tone of the game was really dark and hosed up. One of the backdrops, I believe, had people hanging from nooses. There was quite a bit of blood and just general nastiness, and the subject matter was really dark for a game as simple as it was. The grungy feel of it is what really stuck with me, it had to have been some independent developer or maybe just one or two people making the game by themselves because I wouldn't imagine any professional developers would have sold something like that.

It probably isn't it, but some of the scenery and puzzle you describe is in a very early (1996?) PSX point and click that was also on PC called Chronicles of the Sword.

This also might be one of the Dracula graphic adventures, of which there are several (Resurrection, The Last Sanctuary, etc.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Battle Hamster posted:

There was an old side-scrolling NES game I rented way back when. Your main weapon (maybe your only weapon) was a spear, but you could pick up these orbs that would improve your spear or let you do other things. I think the first level was in a mountainous terrain.

Any ideas?

Low G Man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-LREMZ840

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

The other was on the Amiga about 1987. I think I played a demo of it on either a cover-disk or a Fred Fish disk. You were running around some sort of surreal landscape, seeing a small part of it on each screen, and it looked a little bit like a smaller (4x4?) chess board with different heights and sometimes items on some of the squares, and you were a wizard who could shoot lightning. Googling "Amiga wizard lightning", obviously, has been less than helpful.

This sounds a lot like Solstice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYlkts_USI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUBLIME! posted:

This thread's come in handy a bunch, so another one!

Ok, this one is an Arcade game I played whenever I went to Peter Piper's Pizza. It was basically this fighting game with giant robots. There was a regular generic anime story behind it, and you fought as a big blue(?) robot piloted by this spiky brown haired guy. There were these special powers and beams and poo poo but I'm not really remembering.

This sounds like it could be Tech Romancer or Cyberbots.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boo This Man posted:

I remember some PC game that came out in I think 1997. It's in the style of Crusader, but it's with a chick. I've always wanted to play it for some reason.

This must be Meat Puppet. Unfortunately it's not nearly as rad as Crusader, a lot of the game even has forced scrolling like a shmup.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

monkey posted:

Reposting this because nobody got it the first time and it has bugged me ever since MAME was invented.

An arcade game from around 1987 that was a top down shooter, like xevious or raiden, but also a side scroller like R-Type or side arms. You started out above ground and could fly into a crater to do the underground sections, then you'd fly out of a geyser or something to get back above ground.

It's not legendary wings.

This could potentially be MagMax (Nichibutsu) or Vastar (Can't remember).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ascendancy?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ascendancy

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GenoCanSing posted:

Oh man, I forgot about this until today.

It was an original PSX game. It was a sort of action strategy game played on single screen levels, with either bombs or traps. It wasn't bomberman and didn't have a cartoonish look. It was sort of a puzzle game, sort of action-strategy. I think you played it on one player with a com partner against two com enemies. Sort of a futuristic game show type atmosphere.

It's more of a future sport game with obstacles but could you be thinking of Blast Chamber?

Catbasketry posted:

A level starts you off in a big cavern on a large round pillar or platform. If you step off, there's nothing but a deep fall to your death. A waterfall comes down from up above over on one side. If you jump up some precarious rocks, you can get behind the waterfall (not through it, behind it) to a small secret area of ammo and health. A raise path or rope bridge leads from the central column to a mine shaft door opening. I believe in this mine shaft level you must find a key to run a rickety old mine elevator. In this level you ride briefly in a minecart, and enemies pass by in other minecarts to shoot at you. A deep cavern area requires a brutal jump across a bridge that the bad guys just blew up.

Ring any bells?

I haven't played them in ages but Wheel of Time? Turok? Dark Vengeance?

Hurracan posted:

It was top-down or 3/4ths-overhead, generic-fantasy adventure.
I remember fighting lizard-people in a swamp(?). There was some roleplaying element for progression that I remember being compelling.

Sounds like Light Crusader but could be any of a few Genesis games such as Land Stalker, Hydlide or Crusader of Centy.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 18, 2010

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ZephroDyne posted:

I'm trying to remember an old adventure game from the 90's.
You played a prince of some sort. The graphics looked better and more "realistic" than King's Quest IIRC. The few parts I can vaguely remember (I saw a cousin playing it), is that one part has you standing right outside the walls of a huge castle, and there was one part where someone (or thing) quizzed you on some parts of the game (the answers were allegedly obtainable from watching the game intro).

It wasn't Kyrandia 1, 2 or 3 either.

This sounds a lot like the VGA remake of Quest for Glory 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok0CLupx_Xg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gorilla Radio posted:

Also, I remember when I was a kid in a rental store, and I saw this game where you were a family in a haunted house. I only read the back of the game, but there was zombies and blood from the walls, and the point of the game was to escape. It was in the Genesis/Snes era, but it could have also been NES. This is the last game I have questions about since I found and reunited with Actraiser 1. Thanks.

Uninvited?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW0D50r3zPY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

gvibes posted:

Was it one of the SWAT games? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWAT_(series) I didn't actually play any of them, so I'm not sure.

I have one myself: This is more of a "I've forgotten the name of an artist," but there was a PC game from about 11-12 years ago that had artistic input from a french trippy surrealist-type artist. Think slightly Dali-esque, or maybe RS Connett for something more recent. Seemingly LSD-influenced. I don't remember the exact game format, but I seem to recall that it was an adventure game. I remember that the artist involved sold posters from his web site. Closest I've seen is maybe Another World or I have no mouth and I must scream, but neither of those is right.

Long shot, I know.

Benoit Sokal? He did the Siberia games. I forget the artist but also maybe RHEM or Black Dhalia?

Semper Fudge posted:

I can barely remember it since it came out when I was pretty young, but the game I'm thinking of was a co-op isometric shooter for the PS1. I think the two main characters looked a bit like classic Doom guy, but I can't really remember anything other than that.

Probably Project: Overkill

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ad homonym posted:

Checked some gameplay videos and it's neither of them. :( It's not Front Mission 3 either. Think it was a multiplatform release (Saturn/Dreamcast? probably not N64).

I should clarify that you have to actually perform the attacks in real time (I recall characters jumping around/dodging), not just sit and watch the battles. There was something about invading the opponent's "base" to win I think, or else it would spawn units every so often.

Granstream Saga comes to mind though it's more of a straight RPG.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Superrodan posted:

That didn't seem to be it. I seem to recall the box being dark, probably mostly black, and I don't remember there being much of a recognizable art style to it (so no anime-esque characters). It's hard to describe the box and title as anything more than generic, because neither of us remembers it.

The monster I remember walked on two legs and I seem to recall it was very very large. Probably not Shadow of the Colossus size, but still big enough that it caught us off guard. "Whoa, that monster is huge, how come we've never heard of an FPS dealing with enemies that size?"

Thanks, though.

Sounds like Ghost Hunter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvRqDl2R5w

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

swamp waste posted:

Mid-early 90s arcade fighter with huge sprites, I think they scaled as well, it had kind of a pastel hyperdetailed Chinese look to it, a lot of kung fu movie-looking costumes, some of the characters might have had weapons (I think I remember a claw and a staff?), there may have been a team or 2 on 1 feature, the animation and overall feel were a lot like Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting, also I may have dreamed it, thanks goons

Martial Champion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGH6wZLB0e8

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

al-azad posted:

Someone please help this man because it sounds awesome!

I played a demo for a first person horror game in the early aughts. It's a PC game and I'm 100% it was Korean because it was untranslated. I downloaded it off PC Gamer or some other established American PC gaming website. All I remember is walking around a school in the dark and moving around in the first person. Everything was rusty and ugly kind of like the first person segmenets in Silent Hill: The Room.

This sounds like White Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-lSgn7SOUk
There's actually a few of these and various spinoffs from the same people, worth playing to the end.

swamp waste posted:

E2: "hyperdetailed" means something a lot different now than it meant 15 years ago, who'd have thought

This was funny cause everything about your description screamed Martial Champion to me EXCEPT that. :D I kept thinking "but 'hyper detailed' it must just be Art of Fighting 2 and he imagined it or something."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

God drat there were a lot of crappy fighters in the 90's. What was the special sauce Capcom was using that made Street Fighter 2 so good out of the gate without making it derivative?

There wasn't a huge glut of 2D fighters prior to its release, so it was derivative of many various fighting manga, giving it no point of comparison in the west. Win/win since here it was something totally new, and in Japan it was like "OH poo poo THIS IS FIST OF THE NORTH STAR AND GREAT TIGER AND ____ AND ____ ALL AT ONCE!!!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

InfectedBeef posted:

nope, you don't get to control the individual dinosaurs. The control scheme is kinda like dungeon keeper i guess.

This is definitely Chaos Seed, originally an SNES game but got a remake on the Saturn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfaPnnSOKQU

Also it's absolutely nothing like EVO at all. :P

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Makrond posted:

I remember a DOS game made by a company called Cryo something, you could run around and fly and punch things and shoot fireballs and mostly I remember it being really loving weird, making no sense and not being very fun to play. I think there were three characters you could switch between, there was a guy in a stripy shirt, a chick with no clothes and some kind of weird alien thing or something. Anyone else remember this?

You just described every game by Cryo Interactive. Their games were ambitious and interesting but man. Captain Blood and Dune own though.

You're almost definitely talking about Ubik, based on the Philip K. Dick novel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liumLWd_B7g

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Game case twice as big as normal ones = EA = Blades of Vengeance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxY-wlJdKG0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maleketh posted:

No, it definitely wasn't Jagged Alliance. I hadn't heard of it before then, and I've never seen mention of it anywhere else, so I'm assuming it's rather obscure.

The premise makes it sound a lot like the very originally named Brigade E5: New Jagged Union.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

furry drum circle posted:

This feels like a longshot to me since I barely remember poo poo but here we go.

This sounds kind of like the start of Space Bunnies Must Die:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivxv9Yekfmc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I remember back in maybe 2001 or so there was a demo for a WW2-themed first person shooter that began on top of a water tower. The player character would then sneak into an enemy base to achieve an objective (freeing some prisoners maybe?).

What was this game? I thought maybe Hidden & Dangerous but I downloaded that game (it is apparently free now) but it didn't seem to be alike. H&D was all squad based and this game was solo.

Isn't this Medal of Honor: Underground?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Servant posted:

I do not remember the name of this game; can you help me? This is all I remember:
1)It was a game on the Super Nintendo.
2) The story was this: that terrorists united together into an organization and took over the world. They then encountered an alien race and is now at war with the aliens. You control as a member of the Terrorists' space navy, and your goal is to destroy aliens.
3) It's a standard shoot-them-up, you control a ship and shoot down enemy alien units.

This is probably BlaZeon, though it may also be Phalanx, Earth Defense Force, Raiden Trad, Darius Twin, Bio-Metal or Space Mega Force. There are many SNES games like this but these are the ones where the premises are kind of like your description.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Was it first or third person? If it's first person it could be BRAHMA Force or Epidemic. Third person maybe Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix or Galerians.

reignofevil posted:

Wild Arms seems pretty close, I will have to check it out and report back.

If it's not Wild Arms (you don't get to choose a character at the beginning), it may be Saga Frontier or its sequel games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfOgAHNyho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgxzwOHK4_Y
You should check out any of the Saga games in general. They all are sort of JPRGs in that they look like them and have turns and HP and skills and stuff, but they all have really crazy battle systems compared to any other JRPG and tend to be much less linear. Like in Romancing Saga (this one only came out in Japan on the SNES but the PS2 remake came out here) you can pretty much travel anywhere right after you leave your character's starting point.

It may also be the similarly named but unrelated Thousand Arms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRpPBQMmIQ

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 7, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shardok posted:

No, I remember playing that Wild Arms game where you got to choose one of 3 chars at the start and then when it played through each of their starter stories it started the main game proper.

You're correct, I was thinking of the PS2 remake. :downs:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

This is it. Thanks, I greatly appreciate it. Been trying to remember the name of this for months...

A friend of mine has a request;

An SNES shooter, top-down. You controlled a ship, and you shot things, got money, and could use it to upgrade your ship. He remembers specifically that you could buy a shield for it. The last thing that he remembers is that it was very blue.

Sounds like Imperium to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

You drive a car (maybe one out of 3?) down a straight highway with changing environments, there are enemies and I think you have some sort of weapon on your car. The game might have been freeware or at least was pretty much on every magazine CD at one point. I think there might have been a helicopter at some point in the game.

I know this is vague and therefore a longshot, but also worth a try.

Quarantine II: The Road Warrior?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlptSPM2adM#t=4m1s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There were a lot of "sort of" Disney platformers released for DOS/Mac right after Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast came out. The one you're talking about may be "Filmation Presents Snow White."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gleng posted:

EDIT 2: I have one. It's a very early FPS on the PS1. It was set on Mars (I think). Some levels were inside a space station, and some were outside. One gun shot blue electric poo poo. It wasn't anything to do with Red Faction. That's all I've got. :(

It only lets you aim and play a bit in first person, but this sounds very much like Broken Helix, featuring Bruce Campbell as Jake Burton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLyoIFRDjY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Samfucius posted:

It was an rts that I played around the year 2000. I never got more than ten minutes in because I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing, because I played it at a friend's house and he wouldn't explain/didn't know either.

All I remember is that it starts in the desert and your ?base? had a gas-station sign that you could sell. I remember that because it was all I could figure out how to do.

Could it be Z or Metal Fatigue?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zore posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game I rented once for the Gamecube about ten years ago. It used an in-battle card system where you ran around a tiny field and activated various cards from your deck which did things like summon an attack, or make a monster appear to fight with you. I vaguely remember something about card evolutions, and that there might have been a sequel?

Oh, and you played as a Princess.

Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 by From Software.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That sounds a lot like Wild 9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmnDKuqom0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There was a PC game very similar to Command Adventures: Starship that came out around the same time (1993):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/command-adventures-starship/screenshots
It's not this game. It was of this sort of Elite "get a space ship and fly around doing whatever" style but with the individual crew members and ability to land on a planet and explore it from an overhead view whenever you wanted. It wasn't any of the awful Star Trek games of the time either.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Al Borland posted:

This was a game for the NES. I don't know much about it besides the fact that it was like a dungeon RPG or something it had a green lizardman monster on the cover and a sword.

Surely this is Swords and Serpents?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What was the game shown off a few years ago that was basically a Leisure Suit Larry game but everyone had gigantic arms? Like the "cartoony" artstyle as that everyone's arms were like the size of their body.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Danaru posted:

Pretty close, but not quite. the top down segments were from straight above.

There are some difference (like you're in a helicopter instead of a plane and it's an aircraft carrier with a flag rather than a building) but even if it isn't it, you'd probably like this rad as hell NES game called Firehawk.

More likely though it's MiG-29, also for NES (both by Codemasters though hehee).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What is the horrible nineties FPS wherein you're a woman on a hovering platform that flies around destroying advertisements in a futuristic dystopia? I believe it was on 3DO and possibly PC. The best way to describe the graphics is that it looked like a 3DO game. There was even a short promotional comic about it ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want to say this is City Crisis for PS2.

• Locked thread