Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is coming from my girlfriend's mom. Circa 1985 or so, PC game.

You wash up on an island and can't remember who you are. You have to solve puzzles, and at one point, you get a bottle. A ship comes by, and I believe you trade your bottle to be allowed onto the ship. She never ended up playing beyond that.

She thinks the title to the game was "Who Am I?", but Google gives me nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fists Up posted:

I'm looking for a top down scrolling shooting game (think Raptor: Call of the shadows) from about 15 years ago.

It was a DOS/Windows game where you piloted a space ship and it was continuously moving and you could move side to side and forwards backwards.

It was futuristic/space setting. I think it MAY have been an apogee game but I cant remember.

The main thing I can remember is the weapons you got that would upgrade on your ship. All the bullets were these orange lasers. You started out with just a single shot and I think the last upgrade was this big ring that shot out and was as wide as the screen.

I also looked at Tyrian but that just looks off a little.

Overkill?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm remembering being at my friends house when I was 5 (this would be around 1987-88), and his big brother had a VHS tape and some sort of spaceship+gun thing he was holding in front of the tv. I guess it was some sort of interactive game, though I have no idea how that was supposed to have worked. Was it even a game? Am I in the wrong thread? Can anyone help me?

I saw clips of Mark Hamill in Wing Commander years later, and it made me think of this (I've never played anything Wing Commander-related). Was there some sort of VHS + toy playalong thing released?

EDIT: On a whim, I just asked a friend (who I didn't think would know, but figured it was a longshot), and he told me it was Captain Power.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 29, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is it Antichamber?

Edit: Crap, you said browser based.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ColoradoCleric posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a game that's like age of empires but was more focused on city building and had you managing resources for things like paying for your military, there was definitely a trade aspect to this game as you could make offers with the other players. There was also an auto resolve feature for its basic RTS matches

Was this one of the Caesar games?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember that game being rentable at Microplay. Yes, renting pc games was a thing during that small time frame in the late 90s/early 2000's between when cd burners were introduced to the consumer, and when they stopped being $600+.

I always wanted to check it out, but never did. I tried to play Redguard, but that was broken as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Rolling Thunder

And why people say this game is better than Code Name: Viper is beyond me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

...! posted:

The Uninvited? The 7th Guest? The 11th Hour?

There's no worm in Uninvited, I don't think. There is that little dancing monster though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quick one: Old DOS game, in space, sidescroller, blonde guy in a space suit, not fun at all. Death animation, I think, made it look like a bunch of colourful worms were coming up from the neck of your spacesuit, in place of your head.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shine posted:

Gateworld. Mom used to let my brother and I pick out shareware games. He got Gateworld, I got One Must Fall 2097. Poor kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStQg1hl0H4

Yes! Thank you!

Gateworld sucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

cmndstab posted:

That is the worst music I've ever heard in a game.

It looks like a reskin of the original Duke Nukem.

I never played with music. Rocked the PC speaker.

Edit: so, that got me thinking back to an old Windows game that I couldn't remember the name of. The only thing I remember is that in the 'about' section, there was a button that had a REAL, DIGITIZED VOICE say "My name is Curran, James Curran."

The game is Lucas' Problem and is discussed here: https://tmft.wordpress.com/category/years/1990/

Thanks, Google!

Edit 2:

The Internet and technology are weird and crazy things. I just sent a lengthy email to the owner of the first digitally-recorded voice I ever heard through my (first) computer, letting him know that the 6 words he recorded and programmed into his game over 20 years ago have stuck in my head ever since.

I hope he writes back.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah, it's none of these. Robocod is pretty close actually, but it's missing the chess pieces and the colours are too psychedelic. Either way thanks a lot, I'm not sure this even exists or if it's just an amalgamation of a bunch of stuff that looks similar.

Speaking of looking similar, you said it was a bonus stage with a green background? Is it possible that part of your memory is basing itself off of the bonus stage in the SNES/Genesis Cool Spot game?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mehuyael posted:

Much better suggestion! Do you know if the game's good? I might give it a try on Android.

Honestly, I played it for a while last year, and I didn't enjoy it. It's like FTL, only it's all scripted. If you enjoy FTL and how you have to adapt to pretty much everything, this isn't it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mehuyael posted:

Welp, that's too bad. Better to find out this way than first hand after giving them my :10bux: I guess.

Yeah, I was thankful to be able to try it on a friend's phone, and he buys anything the moment he hears about it, like the Ouya. That being said, I think I have more money than he does, and my ratio to games bought vs played is MUCH higher than his.

Like someone else said, if you've played FTL, Star Command, while it looks MUCH nicer, is definitely a step-back, only because it feels like they were trying to be FTL.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Some pause music just popped into my head, and I have no idea what it's from. It's not super old, and the best way I can describe it is a 'brawler march'.

The only thing I can offer it that the last bar before it loops, for anyone musical reading this, is, in 4/4 time (and played with quarter notes), snare, kick, kick, snare. Around 140 bpm or so.

It's not Battletoads (edit: or Crazy Taxi) btw.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

impulse 7 effect posted:

This is going to be lots of super long shots and trickier given your profile pic :)

Other than all the usual Megaman 2 stuff like the flash man stage the Batman soundtrack seems to stick in people's heads pretty well; stage 3 in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7FB36E8099E77A7

I left out a very key detail: there's no melody, it's only drums.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Truman Sticks posted:

It's not exactly how you describe it, but Scott Pilgrim vs The World had pause music that was just a basic repeating drum track.

Thank you!!! This is it! :toot:

Also, all Super Mario Bros 2 did, while neat, is turn off all of the audio channels other than the triangle and noise waves.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Yesss, thank you!

edit: ahaha all the Frankenstein voice acting is incredible

You might be interested to know that Nitemare 3D is a weird, first-person remake of the adventure game Hugo's House of Horrors, which went on to spawn two sequels (Hugo 2 best Hugo).

http://www.dgray.com/hwpage.htm

And now, David Gray makes digital jigsaw puzzles :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cidrick posted:

Photography by

David P Gray!

Programming by

David P Gray!

Mouse pointer by

David P Gray!

Old person smell by

David P Gray!

I miss this :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

If we're thinking about the same game, there was an LP of this a couple years ago. The main character is Native American, in love with a prostitute who lives in his building, and he kills the main villain at the end by injecting him with rabies virus while he's sleeping. It was absolutely batshit, and I wish I could remember the title.

Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdT5QCQim9Y

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, it was a sequel (or remake?) of the old Shadowgate game.

Sequel. The remake was released on Steam in 2014 and is awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For a second there, I was reminded of "A Fork In the Tale.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shine posted:

This game had as much Rob Schneider Derpy Derp as you'd expect. What a shitshow.

I never had the displeasure of experiencing it; I remember almost installing the demo from a PC Gamer disc, but I saw the demo for Daggerfall instead, and that was that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shine posted:

Hahaha I remember that Daggerfall demo. It was basically the entire sandbox element of the game, minus storyline poo poo. I played it for like 5 years and never bothered buying the full game. My battlemage could fly around shooting fireballs like Vegeta or some poo poo. I loved Daggerfall (demo) so much.

It was an entire island (Isle of Betony) and it was awesome.

The full game was just as great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I remember this lovely pc platformer from the early/mid 90's (not any 3ds realms/apogee games) where you had a jetpack and a lasergun and it controlled like rear end and had a name like "Scotts World", am I going nuts or does this exist

Gateworld?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like Gearheads was one of those games that I seemed to see everywhere. Demo discs, the discounted software area, etc. I remember being intrigued by it as a kid simply because of the fact that I kept seeing it. To this day, I have never seen more than screenshots of it.

This is me, but with Intelligent Cube for the PS1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqRrTZA5bfE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cidrick posted:

To this day I can't help but yell PEERRRRFECT! the way that Intelligent Qube did when you ace a stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wdDTgpE7iE

I'm a horrible dork

I literally only learned how to play it as I searched for it to make my post. I never had a ps1, all my friends did, and they never explained the rules.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nice! Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is probably hopeless because everything I remember is really vague.

Played in 1990-1992 on an arcade machine
A 2player beat-em up
The first level was a city street in the day time
Enemies were generic 90s thug types.

Double Dragon 2? Or maybe the first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Yeah I think new(ish) observational evidence suggests that gravity is accelerating expansion but if the universe's density reaches a critical point it'll collapse in on itself which is just... I can't mentally wrap my mind around it. You wouldn't even be able to observe it assuming you could live for billions of years. What exists outside the visible universe kids? Ponder the insignificance of your life as your dad tucks you in to sleep.

The "what's outside of the universe" question is one that both blows my mind and also frustrates me, because I'm pretty sure I'm never going to find out.

• Locked thread