Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kid With Head posted:

I remember seeing previews for this game in theaters not too long ago, as I remember, it was a war game where Europe and Asia fought in a post-apocalyptic, nuclear winter...I thought it was Lost Planet.

Battlefield 2142, maybe? It's got an ice age and East vs. West going on.

kitkat_skye posted:

Oh man. There was a CD my dad got us kids when we were younger, came with a bunch of game demos. One of my favorites was some sort of 3D pilot game where you flew a blocky ship slowly through a desert and destroyed poo poo. There were other ships and tanks trying to shoot you down, and you could find different weapons, like lasers and missiles.

I really want to say this is Fury3 or Hellbender, because I remember flying down tunnels and avoiding shifting walls and stuff, but I don't remember sphinxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Hobbit posted:

Another game that I believe was on the PS1, you were in a mech-suit and you went around a dungeon like maze and it was scary.

Kileak, maybe?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Flight of the Amazon Queen. It's freely available now, works under the SCUMM VM.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it might be Cubivore. There's EVO too, but that's definitely not a Dreamcast title.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FabioClone posted:

A game from the 90's: A 2D game where you control a spaceship. You went from planet to planet doing different jobs, talking to people, and fighting other ships. I think it was shareware, where the first episode was free and you'd have to pay for the rest. I remember that when you would hail other ships and planets, their picture would appear in the corner of the screen and you would have dialog options. The only other thing I remember is that one of the alien ships you would fight looked like a red triangle.

I know it's not much, but anybody remember this?

Solar Winds by Epic, maybe?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

What? Elaborate a bit more?

I think he means this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

The second game was one of those one player fighters that came before street fighter 2 (late 80's maybe). You played as this typical "Conan" dude that entered a Colosseum and had to fight varius mythical creatures. I remember that the third foe was a lizard man with a shield made of stone that you could break. In between fight you used your earnings to buy better weapons, a poleax was the best to deal with some cheapass dragon that you had to hit in the neck to kill (when killed his head dropped, all mosters had some kind of gory or interesting death).

Any of them ring a bell? Thanks.

This one is Hippodrome.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

This is a PC first-person adventure game. The story to the game is that you're part of an army sent in to invade a bug (big bugs) infested world via a portal/wormhole-thing. You have to wear suits and take drugs (I think) to survive the environment, but it turns out that, once you're knocked out and 'captured', the bugs and blasted landscape were just products of the suit/drugs, and you've been fighting fairly peaceful people all along, because your government wants to invade or something.

The scenario definitely sounds like Quantum Gate, but the ending you've described definitely isn't in the original game. Could be the sequel that I could never find, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds an awful lot like Majesty, Vinlaen.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Maybe a few years back I saw a preview for a game maybe a few years down the road where you play a bug or a cockroach or an ant or SOMETHING and you just had to get through. And there was a dying rat with it's back broken in a trap and you had to sneak by it but it flipped out and started chomping at the character in pure dying spite, in the preview, and I was just wondering if the game ever got finished or how it did.

I have tried so many google permutations but found nothing although I did get distracted when I spilled my morning coffee. Maybe I missed one but I give up regardless.

Harlequinade is right, that is definitely Bad Mojo.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's Cyberia again, Nemesis of Moles.

The bomb puzzle involved changing the mode on your high-tech shades, and reading the logic-gate schematic that the various switches fed into. That or brute-forcing it through trial and error.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You're close. It's Gwana Bwana.

And the chess-like game the other fellow is thinking of, is probably one of the Archon series.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

jeanclaudtransam posted:

This was an old PC game from around the early 90's. It was RPG/adventure fantasy game with very basic realtime 3d graphics...

I'd lay odds that this is Shadowcaster.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, this was a DOS game. It was kind of a point and click sim game, the premise of which the earth had gotten all hosed up, and humanity had fled to different planets, who were now hostile with each other in a lot of cases. You started on the moon, I think, and had to build scout ships to search for minerals, mining ships, additions to your base (I think), fighter ships, and turrets (I think) for defense. I think it was the Martian colony who was always trying to gently caress your poo poo up. Anyone know this one? I've been looking for it for ages and can't remember the drat name to save my life, and can't find my old floppy disc of it to check either.

Millennium.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

RespectShmaa posted:

I used to play this topdown rpg-style game CD-rom game for windows 98. The game started out with a CGI of this black widow spider with an hourglass talking about something. It also showed killer bees swarm some random farmers, and that was the intro. The game was from the top view and it was 2D. It started out with you in this town and you find out that lots of people have been slaughtered. I can remember the dead bodies would be swarmed by crabs on the beach, but when you got close they would scatter. The enemy's were totally white and you had to punch them to kill them. After you somehow escape the island, you go to this other world with giant bugs. I distinctly remember a giant praying mantis that would kill you if you talked to it too much. I can't remember the name of the game but maybe you guys might know?

I'm almost certain that's Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DethklokworkOrange posted:

There was this game I had for the original Playstation. I don't remember very much about it, but for some reason I've been trying to remember the name. I THINK it was a fixed-path platformer game with a little more depth than a side-scroller. It had a very industrial feel to it. I think you had a robotic arm weapon (???) or something that you collected upgrades for. This has been driving me crazy.

It could be One.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

First up is a weird little platformer, that was a shareware episodic game back in the era of CGA/EGA. It was vaguely fantasy themed, had three episodes (each sold separately IIRC), and you shot little beams to fight enemies and had real pixelated human hearts for a lifebar. Very basic, similar to Jill of the Jungle style platforming too. I believe it MAY have been published by Apogee, as well.

The bit about the human heart life gauge makes me think of Dark Ages. Apogee, too, at that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Your last one might be Zone66, Patashu.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

It's an old shareware first-person RPG, somewhat similar to Might & Magic. You started out in a town with multiple dungeons in it (I recall a sewer and a prison, there may have been more). I seem to recall every dungeon area with monsters being underground. It was amazingly difficult and easy as hell to die. HORRIBLY maze-ish. Probably 1990-1995ish. PC game, I think windows-based. I seem to vaguely remember white brick walls throughout most of the town. I know it wasn't one of the Might & Magic series, and I do not remember seeing your weapon at the bottom of the screen. It was 3D but you could only move 1 screen at a time and only in north/south/east/west. Any ideas?

Those weren't terribly uncommon, unfortunately. My best guess would be one of Moraff's games though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus. The craziest thing is, that was my second guess... but I couldn't remember the title.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

There was a PC game, that came out sometime around I think 1992 where you are a budding music video producer on some weird rear end planet and your job is to go out onto the planet's surface and record footage to edit into videos. Oh and there was some kind of food processor in the basement. Not the best description I'm sure, but can anyone name it?

Total Distortion, possibly?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably Gender Wars, Putka.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

RTS game, 3D, you could pilot giant mechs and customize them, and I believe there were 3 stages of every map. Underground, on the planet, and up in the sky. This was a relatively old game that was one of the first 3D RTSes I ever played. Can anyone name it?

Metal Fatigue.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Impossible Creatures to me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Encryptic posted:

- This game was set in Egypt, I believe. The first level had the character running towards a pyramid in the distance and dodging spears or something, then the second level was running up the steps of the pyramid and dodging falling stones, then the third level was inside the pyramid and jumping over pits and avoiding stuff falling from the ceiling.

This one sounds like Aztec Challenge to me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

sansuki posted:

I wuv yoo. Seriously, play this. Its great.

Echoing this. It's pretty easy to cheese once you've got a handle on things, but that fits the theme.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Machismo posted:

God drat! That is it! gently caress that game was weird for a kid!

I could never make it all the way to the hamster. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

kofrad posted:

I remember a game sort of like an fps, but I don't really remember there being any weapons at first. You started off on a dock or a boat of some sort and would go through a door. After going down a hallway you got into a gun turret and had to fight off planes or something. I can't even remember what the computer was running, may have been OS\2 Warp.

Would love to find out the name of it.. was probably one of the first computer games I ever played.

This sounds suspiciously like Cyberia.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Unreal posted:

I've been searching for an hour and I can't find it. The game was released around the time of Jazz Jackrabbit (So about 1994/95). It was a top-down shooter and you flew a hovering ship of doom. It wasn't an on-the-rails shooter where the screen scrolled automatically, but the camera followed you as you banked around 360 degrees. At first I thought it was raptor, but no, that's a standard scrolling shmup.

I'm sorry I can't give more details, if I could I'd probably be able to find it myself.

Zone 66, maybe?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kilty Monroe posted:

Sorry to quote myself, but I really want to find this game again and I don't think it was ever really distributed outside the thread its programmer posted a couple years back. The thread went on for a quite a while until everyone got stuck on the same level in the final "challenge" set that required perfect timing through a long series of lasers. I'm sure the thread is well buried in archives and I'd be digging through them right now if I had archives access.

All I remember is that the graphics were outer-space themed and a bit simple and blocky, and it had kind of a trance/techno soundtrack. What really made it stand out from other puzzle games was its really clever level design that could have you trying different solutions for hours. Please help. :(

Is it possibly (youtube video) Crystalex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mad Mage Era posted:

This is a game that has eluded me since the early 90's and I'd appreciate some help. I was too young to play text-based games like this at that stage in my life, so my only memories of this are of me watching my parents play it on their computer.

This game came out sometime before 1995; I'm sorry that I can't get more specific than that. I think it was an old adventure game, but I'm not positive. I remember the graphics; they were detailed, but they had a limited color palette. I think this game ran on DOS. The upper half of the screen was an image while the lower half was white text on a black background.

The only thing I remember of it was one death scene (or I assume it was a death scene). It was a scene where a character (your character?) rotted away, going from flesh-and-bone to just a skeleton in a dissolving transition. The image was focused on the character's head and shoulders and he was lying on the ground.

I also think power plants were involved. I remember seeing them, anyway.

Please tell me my young mind didn't just make this all up :ohdear:

This sounds like Rise of the Dragon to me.

• Locked thread