Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've tried this on other forums to no avail so here goes... It was definitely on the Commodore 64 because that's all I had at the time. It was an arcady-adventury type game where you controlled a guy in a medieval (maybe fantasy) setting. There was a village and you could go into at least some buildings. The one thing I remember vividly was stealing from the shops because when you got caught there was this trial of sorts where a pointer on some gauges would wiggle from side to side and then stop and that somehow determined the outcome of the trial. For some reason I was always found guilty.

Sorry this is really vague but I didn't have a manual or box (of course), I didn't know English (although the game could've been in another European language I didn't know - I don't remember), and I was just a kid. It's been bugging me for quite some time now.

EDIT: I browsed through Mobygames' Commodore 64 games with fantasy setting and one player and it didn't seem to be there. One more thing though: it wasn't side-scrolling.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cmndstab posted:

There was an old adventure game for the C64 that I used to play with some friends but I can't remember it's name anymore. It was text-driven but graphical, like early Sierra adventure games. I remember very little about the game other than if you tried to pick things up by typing "pick up *item*" it wouldn't know what you were saying, but if you said "get *item*" it worked fine. The game had pygmies and a monkey I think. It was very old, from the mid 80s I think.

A bit of a long shot but how about Dallas Quest? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiugKchVXk It has a monkey, at least. And some sort of tribals. EDIT: Had to try it out and the game responds to PICK UP with WHAT!? but TAKE and GET work fine.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 3, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barrelfox posted:

This one is kind of obscure - there is a freeware adventure game that was released in the mid 2000s that featured classic lucasarts style artwork and interface, it was text only for speech.

All i can remember was that the first part of the game was set in the arctic and you played a scientist that had been dropped off at an outpost that had come across some alien artifacts. In the second act of the game, using some sort of alien mask your character is transported to another world.

The game was quite difficult and was criticised for having an overly complex story for the length of the game.

Was it a straight-up adventure or was there combat as well?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Too bad Mobygames doesn't have the ability to browse games by range of years. Which is kind of stupid since who the hell know exactly when a game came out?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chippy posted:

I hope this is the most recent incarnation of this thread beacause I found it through google. If not, can someone point me in the direction of the right one?

I'm looking for the name of a game I used to play on my Amiga 500+. The protagonist I think was a guy with a round green head, looked a lot like Pacman, but with a body. On the title screen (at least I think it was the title screen, but it might have been the "you beat the game" or "you lost" screen), Tchaikovky's 1812 Overture would play and on the final chord, the guys head exploded in a shower of crappy red sprites.

Game play is probably the thing I can remember the least about. I do remember level was a single screen, and there may or may not have been some element on collecting letters involved. I'm pretty sure you had to collect something. There were bees and beehives on the second level I think, but again not sure. I seem to remember the whole thing being quite surreal.

Anyone help me with these insane ramblings?

Wizkid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Video Kid?

Beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

While we're on an Amiga 500 kick -

It was set on a space station of some kind, I think you were supposed to be a person trapped in the space station, but you controlled a selection of different droids and your goal was to repair it/defend it from invaders? It was a top-down viewpoint and all the droids had their own little ability set, they may or may not have been able to be upgraded but I'm pretty sure you could unlock other droids for use. There were a number of different areas to fix, and I'm pretty sure you could revisit them as needed. I remember the graphics were "post-Psygnosis era" so the game was dark with quite glossy colours.

I remember I used to thrash this game but I don't recall ever getting anywhere in it.

Paradroid? EDIT: I can't read, probably not Paradroid. But play Paradroid anyway!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Double winners :psyduck:

After taking the names and googling I had definitely been playing both Quadralien and Paradroid 90 (the Amiga port of Paradroid) and over the years the two had slowly merged to become one game!
Now to get to the storage unit and flick through hundreds of disks to see if any have that written on them (then to get home and find they're corrupted anyway).

Is Quadralien worth looking into?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

Are you sure it was a Psygnosis game? From your description, it sounds like you may actually be thinking of Core Design's Shellshock (see also the cover).

Holy poo poo someone apparently bought it for full price (about 55 €), though you did get a 27 FIM (about 4,5 €) gift card from Pelit magazine with it!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

auzdark posted:

Second game was a simple side scroller, you are a moon buggy and have to jump over pot holes and rocks - pretty simple really, I also played that on an Apple.

Moon Patrol or a clone called Moon Buggy, perhaps?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soul_Yoinker posted:

I remember a game I played on my old pc in the 90s, where the opening was you being on a hill and watching your city get destroyed by a bomb, and then swearing to yourself that you would become a fighter pilot and gently caress up your enemy.

anyway i remember it being like a top down thing. Does any of this ring a bell?

I might be way off here but didn't Raptor have that sort of intro?

EDIT: It didn't. So now there's two of us asking :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rikimaru posted:

Old pc game. Think old school carmen san diego days. It was all of the fairy tale stories. You had to puzzle solve get people things etc. driving me mad trying to remember it.

Mixed-up Mother Goose? Simon the Sorcerer?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kissing Dad posted:

Second one was text based game with some pictures on the left side of the screen. All I can remember is the first room which was your apartment and you had to set your garbage on fire.

Sounds like a Legend game... Spellcasting 101?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

This reminds me of another ancient animal based computer game. You would choose an animal, and then have to navigate a screen (a grid layout?) with other animals on it. You had to avoid animals that were above you on the food chain, while moving over animals below you on the chain, unless you were on the bottom and then you were just avoiding everything. I don't think the game had any animations. Just your static little pictures moving left to right across the "board."

http://www.alivesoft.com/animalquest.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soun posted:

There's a game I have been trying to find for a while now that I can't seem to locate.

It was a graphical point-and-click adventure game circa 1995. The first "area" was some kind of a camp or ranger station or something, and I think you could go inside (or maybe the goal was to get inside?). One thing I do remember is that the 'map' was circular, and if you kept going in one direction, about 5 screens later you'd end up back at the start.

Teen Agent?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spergatory posted:

I'm looking for an arcade game, might have been Neo Geo. It was about a bunch of assassins trying to murder each other. The stages were huge and really busy, with hazards and weapons and powerups spawning everywhere sort of like a proto-Smash Bros. There was a stage at the circus where I think the tigers could attack you, and I think a stage on a ship that constantly rocked back and forth. One of the selectable characters was a pair of creepy twin children who never let go of each others' hands (so they were treated as one character).

That's about all I can remember about it.

I have no idea what this game is but I got this weird deja vu thingie and I'm sure I've either dreamed this game or Classic Game Room did a youtube of it last year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cirrial posted:

Ages and ages ago in what must have been the early to mid 90s, I remember this PC game where you had dinosaurs on a grid and you had to survive, I think? I remember there being a pop up dialogue about an extinction event threatening my whatevers. I can't remember if you controlled a single dinosaur or if it was more of a sandbox game but my kid memories say I was controlling a single dinosaur and clicking around the grid to move.

Of course nowadays I wonder if I dreamt the whole thing, considering I also remember Chex Quest never getting past the intro and crashing when it did, and having slightly more modern ( for the time) CGI and more adult looking space captain dude. Come to think of it, that might have been a game from a box of Honeycomb and not Chex Quest at all.

Anyone able to shed some light on these games that may have never existed outside of garbled childhood memories?

Dinosaur Predators?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doomguy's first job

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doctor_Acula posted:

I vaguely remember another game I had on my C128. It was like a detective game, where you were trying to solve a murder or something. I only remember that the first part of the game had you searching an apartment for clues. I believe the interface was similar to Maniac Mansion.

Murder!?

e: Nope, sorry didn't come out for the 8-bits.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doctor_Acula posted:

No, but that looks awesome. I remember this was a more modern time, but not really. Like a film noir, but with an '80s setting.

It really doesn't help that the Commodore had a game called The Detective Game, so Google (or Bing, if you're brave like me) is turning up nothing good.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood?

E: Probably not. I'm just trying to come up with games that have a murder in them.

Crime Time?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 12, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

This isn't an old game, but a recent one...it might even only be on Kickstarter or something like that.

But it is sort of a Metroidvania game, but the premise was that every time you died, your next "life" was the first character's son/daughter, who had slightly different skills, perhaps based on how you died the first time? And on top of that, I think the castle slightly changed each "iteration" as well?

Rogue Legacy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes! That's it, thank you!

Holy poo poo, look at this guy:

Is he going to fight alien invaders, or spend the weekend at Breckenridge?

Bubbles lookin' tanned there. The fresh air did him good. (Those are pupils not reflections :eyepop:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

This one's been bugging me for ages. I had this game back when I first got a computer, it was for an older operating system (Windows 3.1 or OS Warp, maybe?). It's an adventure game, and I think the guy you play as was some kind of superhero. I remember something about a catapult, and there was a laboratory, and at one point I think the game had you examining carpet fibres with a microscope because your sidekick had had an accident with a shrinking ray or something. Any of this ringing a bell with anyone?

(The Adventures of) Hyperman had a catapult I believe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It came with IBM Aptivas at some point which is how I got it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Game I played in a backwater arcade in 1981 in the back suburbs of Portland, OR. Can't remember what was in it, but made me have a seizure and forget what my name was an where I lived. According to the arcade owner, nobody ever came to collect the coins, just took readouts of data and photos of high score tables. After word got around about my seizure, two men in black suits came around and took the cabinet out of there. Can't remember the name but it maybe had something to do with Greek history?

σπάνιος Ιωσηφ

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

al-azad posted:

Probably Haven: Call of the King.

Mobygames lets you search by platform and genre, among other parameters.

Their way of categorizing (and especially sub-categorizing) games was really, well, wrong back when I frequented the site. Maybe they changed things?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember the name of this one. It had to be for the N64(Maybe ps1, but I doubt it), and it was a first person adventure game. It was set in a medieval castle and was certainly meant to be scary. The opening cut scene has you thrown into cell in the dungeon, and you get out by using sharp bone to pry open the cell floor grate. It was clunky and slow and had you backtrack all over the place with items. Also ghosts- I distinctly remember a rocking horse that moved on its own with a child giggling and it freaked me the gently caress out when I was twelve.

Edit: Well poo poo finally found it. Its Shadowgate 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPdWCoS-T8

I'm pretty sure I've played at least two fantasy games where you need a bone to get through a cell door. And I've never played a Shadowrun. I guess game designers aren't all that innovative.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unhappy Meal posted:

I remember this. That would be Starpeace Online, hopefully nobody gets any ideas about playing the unbalanced heap again.

-

My turn to ask you guys if you can remember some dumb game we played at one point. It's a 2d cyberpunk game. It's sorta like an arena game where you've got a bunch of players playing agents who have to get around the map trying to collect the win condition and get it back to their base (which they could place, but it just amounted to a hidden door in the environment). There would be NPC citizens and guards doing a simple pace back and forth walk, and agents could disguise themselves as citizens to fool other agents and not be attacked by the NPC guards. The graphics are that sort of grungy 90s realistic sprite stuff, not quite Mortal Kombat's actual photos, but pretty close. All the factions had their little quirks and gadgets, but the only faction I can recall is the one where instead of the agents being on the same team every agent of that particular faction is a lone wolf, the faction had a dorky name like Black Rose or something.

How many players is a bunch of players?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unhappy Meal posted:

I don't think we ever hit the server cap... so more than 6, but less than 12? I'm pretty sure the levels weren't large enough for more than that.

Ah it would've perhaps been helpful to mention it was an on-line game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pogonodon posted:

Sounds like Into the Shadows.

I have a really vague one for you guys. You played as an angel, you may have been bringing about the apocalypse, I can't really remember anything else other than wherever they had all their computers and backups being struck by lightning and burning to the ground twice, losing all the code both times.

Only game I have with an angel PC is Messiah. Still haven't played it though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Top-down adventure game, where you're a ninja, on the Amiga 500. I don't remember much from the game, except that it was really, really dark and blue, and it had this super distinct drawing of a blue ninja at the beginning. I recall it being obtuse and hard, possibly with a main antagonist showing up from time to time?

Was the Ninja in the Last Ninja games blue? Can't remember and I never did play the Amiga 500 versions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Oh, sorry, it wasn't the Amiga, but Commodore 64!

E:

And it wasn't Last Ninja, sadly.

EE:

You know what, it probably was. The gameplay doesn't strike me as what I'm remembering, but the intro seems to ring a bell.

The gameplay, as I remember it, was more like what you'd see in an RPG Maker title, visually. Also, I'm convinced that rain was involved.

Now I might be creating false memories for myself about a ninja game with actual top-down graphics like Gauntlet or Druid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

These Loving Eyes posted:

The main protagonist is a short stubby guy wearing a brown trench coat and a trilby.

:eyepoop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All I've got to say is Battlezone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

This is going to be exceedingly vague, but I remember playing a sort of point-and-click adventure game with detective elements, in a modern setting. You start out in a building on the ground floor somewhere, inspecting lockers (?). You end up in a hotel room eventually, and then the shareware/trial version of the game ends. It was probably a mid or late nineties game. That's all I remember

This sounds incredibly familiar. Was it a "free" game? (Shareware or freeware or similar.) I am read good.

I think the title had a bird in it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

...! posted:

Can't be Shadow Hearts. He said the setting is modern. Shadow Hearts is set around World War I.

Modern, not contemporary. World War I took place well into the modern era.

e: :goonsay:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gromit posted:

I think it was an arcade game. You're this fat guy with, I think, some sort of liver disease. You can't stop eating, and I think there was a Ghostbusters tie-in.

I'm reading this as a ABBBA non-sequitur.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm just going to throw Morpheus here despite never even having played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

demota posted:

There was a game I saw an article on years ago. It was a sidescrolling flight game. It had an intense sense of speed to it. I think the video had the plane flying right above some clouds. There may have been enemies to shoot, but the main visual focus of the game was just an insanely fast sense of speed. There may have been stunts involved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4tByHAo8E&t=124s

• Locked thread