Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember I used to have a demo version of a game where you were a robotic cop going around shooting stuff. I thought it was really fun and visceral at the time. There was also a mode where you were up against an opponent and had to go around and install turrets and stuff until you managed to take over your opponent's base. Come to think of it, it was a pretty good game for its time. Does anyone know what it was called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Judge Holden posted:

Looking for a PC game from probably a decade or so ago that had a really Lovecraftian/Eastern European vibe. It was first-person, and your goal was to figure out what was going wrong in a town where there was some kind of virus that was infecting the people (it may have been supernatural in nature, I don't remember). You basically started with nothing on the outskirts of town and had to puzzle poo poo out as you went, and over the course of the game the town got worse and worse. It was incredibly hard and frustrating and was kind of legendary for being one of those games that nobody finished because you were dumped into a situation with no direction and could die over pretty much anything. It wasn't really a first person shooter or anything; it was more like an adventure game that used a first person interface.

This sounds very familiar. I think it was mentioned in one of the Ben Drowned threads. Not sure what the name is, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I remember I used to have a demo version of a game where you were a robotic cop going around shooting stuff. I thought it was really fun and visceral at the time. There was also a mode where you were up against an opponent and had to go around and install turrets and stuff until you managed to take over your opponent's base. Come to think of it, it was a pretty good game for its time. Does anyone know what it was called?

I should add that you were a robot that was also a cop, not a cyborg or something. Also, I think you were blue.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

Future Cop: LAPD. I remember playing that turret skirmish game so much since every time you beat the enemy bot it'd get harder and its robot would look cooler. But IIRC if you lost it'd revert to a lamer, easier form which kind of sucked.

That's the one, thanks! It'll probably just ruin my nostalgic memories, but I'll have to see if I can still get my hands on the full version.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This has been bugging me for a while: I'd like to know the name of a fantasy RTS-like game set in a dark, desolate wasteland. I think you could, for example, place a cage filled with some sort of monster in it to defend your base, and there were definitely flying monsters too. It was probably released somewhere in the mid- to late nineties. For some reason it feels like the name started with the letter R, but I could be totally wrong.

I know this is all fairly vague, but I am 100% sure I played this game as a child, and now I can't seem to recall its name.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm looking for a nineties nation-sim game. I think it involved ruling either Ukraine or some West African country, building factories and making/keeping campaign promises. The game featured a top-down cartographic view of your nation dotted with buildings and the like, and it looked pretty good for its time. I thought it was called 3000, but Google isn't bringing up anything.

cmndstab posted:

This is probably wrong, but could it be Bumpy?

Don't know if this is the game that guy was looking for, but I remember spending hours upon hours playing this. Brings back memories.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

I was talking about old games with a friend and he brought up this PC game that he can't remember the name of. It sounds utterly insane and I'd be convinced it was some fever-dream of his if I didn't have a weird feeling that I've played it or something very similar in the past. Here's the details as far as our collective minds can recall. Most are probably exaggerated or invented wholesale.

The game's story revolves around a giant flying insect, a mosquito or a wasp or something along those lines, who speaks english and has a cliche "bad attitude," making absurd wisecracks and bad puns all the time. He commands an army of smaller, but still huge, insects of varying types. You play as a space marine stereotype who chases him through each level only to get stuck at various points fighting a wave of enemies while he looks on and mocks you.

The details are fuzzy at best, and we can't both agree on much of the game's premise or plot, but we both definitely recall a game with a giant flying insect with a bizarre personality making lovely jokes and bad puns. My friend is certain that he was VO'd by a surprisingly high-key actor, one who doesn't normally do video games, let alone an obvious budget title like this.

This is an old post, but it doesn't look like anyone has replied to this. Are you sure you're not playing as an insect as well? Because I definitely remember a fairly lovely nineties game where you play as some kind of mosquito that has to make his way through someone's house, spitting at enemies and collecting tiny nuts or something. I remember it featuring the sort of humor you're describing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

scamtank posted:

Oh, that's Banzai Bug. It had a pretty unique art style for its time.

That's the one, thanks. Never did manage to finish it; controls were kind of sluggish if I remember correctly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm looking for a nineties nation-sim game. I think it involved ruling either Ukraine or some West African country, building factories and making/keeping campaign promises. The game featured a top-down cartographic view of your nation dotted with buildings and the like, and it looked pretty good for its time. I thought it was called 3000, but Google isn't bringing up anything.

Anyone?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never played it but maybe Tropico?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico

Nope, you were running an actual country, and the Ukraine was one of the available choices (I think). The game itself might have been Russian, which could explain why it's so obscure. The internet is not bringing up any information.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

Bit of a long shot, but perhaps you're thinking of The 3rd Millennium?

That's the one, thanks! It looks almost exactly as elaborate as I remember it. I was about ten years old at the time, and English is not my first language, so I have no idea if it was a good game. Only thing I remember is never managing to get re-elected. Going to check to see if the publisher is offering it as a free download.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Was going to ask about a game that turned out to be Revenge of the Mutant Camels. Figured it out on my own through google. Still mentioning it, because it was just such a fun game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

No but thank you again. I am definitely remembering some weird colors and modern art like backgrounds. Definitely deserts and deserted gas stations.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Holy poo poo, this is it!

Thanks a ton, been looking for this forever.

I played Imperium Galactica II as well, back in the day. It's a pretty good game, but I thought the campaigns were really hard, except for the initial Human one. I never managed to survive first contact when playing the Shinari campaign and would lose the game after fifteen minutes. I don't know, maybe I was doing something wrong, but it's frustrating when you like and mostly understand a game's mechanics yet still lose whenever it gets a little harder.
I had the same thing with Heroes of Might and Magic III where I thought I had the hang of it, yet I would still start having a hard time as soon as the game stopped holding my hand. Maybe I'm just bad at games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Farecoal posted:

I'm trying to remember this other educational game I played. It was about history, and it featured some weird alien guy who you had to find in various time periods, and there were interactive drawings of these periods.

Gus Goes to Cybertown? Though Gus is more of an anthropomorphic dog than an alien, I don't know.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay, this is probably going to be hard one since I only vaguely remember it.

It was a shareware version of a late 90's or early 2000's adventure game. Modern setting. I think the player character was investigating something at a hotel, and I believe he had to search lockers or something in the beginning of the game. The demo ends when he makes it up to one of the hotel rooms and discovers a clue involving one of the windows...I think.

Come to think, it might be the same game that biopanda is describing, but a lot of the details he mentions don't ring a bell for me. Maybe it's because he had the full version.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

Edit: Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon.

This game is hard as poo poo (for me), by the way. Playing the second scenario of the campaign, I invariably get wiped out. But yeah, though some might find it unncessarily tedious, I liked the fact that you had to manually put your soldiers on horses, provide them with weapons, and so on. I always appreciate that 'organic' kind of feel in strategy games, sort of like in Populous: The Beginning.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Narmer posted:

In elementary school in the 90s we used to play tons of simplistic games on those old Mac Classic machines. One game was my favorite back then, I haven't played it since the mid 90s so I can't remember the details too well. The player controlled a mouse and you have to guide him through a simple sort of maze. You had to get keys to be able to pass through certain walls. When you beat levels you got to upgrade a throne room. Sorry, it's hard to describe from memory. This would probably have been released some time in the first half of the 90s.

Is it Rodent's Revenge? I vaguely remember playing that game as a kid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Miguel Prado posted:

I only remember playing the demo on a pc, back in the late 90s. The setting was a city of some sort in the future, the player controlled a flying car and could dock in different garages/buildings. I do not remember the goal or objectives of the game. Pretty sure the perspective was first person or third person.

Any idea?

Is it Quarantine? I remember playing that game as a kid in the nineties.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kgummy posted:

You know, I looked at that game, and I wasn't sure if that was it, but the more I think about it, I think it is. I don't quite remember it being entirely like Stronghold, but other stuff does seem to fit. Especially the other modes mode; I remember there being a story mode that I didn't really bother with, but instead this other mode that was multiplayer and it seems to fit in with what I remember. The menu does look vaguely familiar, too. I can't find the castle upgrading screen for the first one, but the description I'm finding about Stronghold 2's castle upgrading seems to fit.

I'll have to ask my dad about it, since he played multiplayer with me on it. I've asked him before if he remembered the game and he too couldn't remember the name of it.

From your first paragraph I thought it was Stronghold too, but that game is not turn-based and player's bases are on the same map. In campaign mode you could get attacked from off-screen, though.

Your description doesn't sound like the 2001 Stronghold, unless I'm really misremembering the game. There's also the Stronghold released in 1993, but that one is real-time as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cidrick posted:

Pretty sure this is Last Half Of Darkness

Fantastic atmosphere for its time.

I think I remember playing this, or something very similar. Does a snake pop out and kill you if you open the wrong drawer in one of the rooms? That really scared me as a kid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Either that or Bolo Ball, which it seems to be based on.

I definitely remember playing this as a kid in the nineties.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cmndstab posted:

Word Rescue, most likely.

Edit: Actually, checking that game again it's not really about getting letters, though that is something you can do for extra points. Not sure, sorry.

I remember playing this and Math Rescue as a kid, both were actually a lot of fun.

I didn't know much English back then so I'm not sure how I managed to progress through levels in Word Rescue.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember that one, being able to name things and found colonial cities was great. I think the endgame involved rebelling against your colonial overlord.

It's easy to google if you add 'Interplay' to the search term.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm trying to remember this old multiplayer game from like the early 2000s, it was a platformer and the goal was to find the other player's base and hack their computer. I think the base doors were invisible or something. you could buy turrets and stuff to protect your base.

Sounds a bit like Future Cop's Precinct Assault mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQv8lNc7FZc

But less a platformer and more about destroying everything in sight.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gus Goes To Cybertown?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It mashes a lot of genres together, but I liked it. It's different in a good way. Not my favorite Larian game, but definitely worth trying.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And also, Serious Sam is good rather than bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is going to be exceedingly vague, but I remember playing a sort of point-and-click adventure game with detective elements, in a modern setting. You start out in a building on the ground floor somewhere, inspecting lockers (?). You end up in a hotel room eventually, and then the shareware/trial version of the game ends. It was probably a mid or late nineties game. That's all I remember

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

...! posted:

This is a real long shot but could it be Deja Vu?

I'm afraid that's not it. I'm pretty sure my game came out later, maybe for Windows 95 or 98. I don't think you were a literal detective either, though my memory is so hazy I honestly don't know.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seven Kingdoms I & II have Greeks as a playable civilization, but they're not historical games. I don't know. That's a tough one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That is a very DOS-looking game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought the universe's expansion was accelerating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Google's best guess: lady

Thanks, Google.

• Locked thread