Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I have a couple, actually.

The first two are from one of those "1001 games on two CDs!" type of things. One was a 3D type of game like Block-Out (the kind where you have a paddle and you break bricks). You saw the level from the view of the paddle itself. The levels were fashioned so they looked like rooms. The passwords for the first set of levels were Hyrdogen, Helium, Lithium, etc.

The second game was called Amiga, but Googling for it only gives me info on the Amiga system. It was a very simple game with lots of blocks and such on the screen. You have to move a snake from one end to the other. When you push a direction, it kept going in that direction until it hit something. I think certain colors of blocks would kill you, help you, etc. If anyone knows anymore about this game, please tell me.

---

SNES RPG: Five characters to the party. About as generic an RPG as you can get. Eventually, you went up in the sky. I think the basic "potion" equivalent was "Plums" or something.

Edit: Oh, and a PS1 game...you had a red, yellow, blue, and green player. You fought to put crystals in containers, but you had to rotate the room to get to different containers.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Panic Restaurant posted:

I'm almost positive that's the original Breath of Fire you're thinking of.

I'm actually positive it is. It's Sara who's using the spells to put out the fire in Drogan (I think that's the city). You then go up and fight a giant Frog in a castle and they build a statue of you.

I really love that game, and the sequel is one of the better RPGs of the 90s in my opinion.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
A couple...

1) SNES - Golf - HORRIBLE 3D Graphics - courses were on mountains and in canyons and stuff.

2) Unknown platform, I heard about this on a Retronauts podcast a while back. It was apparently a Korean game that when the developers wanted music, they asked someone in America to send them what were examples of popular music. The guy sent them a mix tape, and when they got a demo of the game, it started out with Smells Like Teen Spirit, and there was a samurai level or something with "Two Princes" by that lovely band that did "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong".

3+4) Two PS1 RPGs - they came out around the same time as Legend of Legaia. One you were a knight and you had a pink fluffy sidekick or something, and the other was a two disc game. It was weird though in that there was an underworld, that if you wanted to go to, you had to change discs. It made playing the game really annoying, and I stopped once I got to that point. I think one of the characters was a floating Albert Einstein head.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Alright, I got a few.

1. It's a Megaman game, but what game does this song come from? http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PLXPBDKF

I thought it'd be Megaman 5 (either Star or Gravity Man), but I was wrong.

2. An old series of PC games. They were based off of learning, and one you had to save a TV station or something, and another was on a mountain, and a third was in a school with robots. I'm pretty sure your character didn't have a face, but rather a large denim jacket and a big red cap pulled over his face.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Saint Septimus posted:

That's Ducktales, moon level specifically. I admit that it did make me think it was one of the space-themed Megaman levels though.

Awesome. That song is one of the best songs I've heard come from a game - it's right up there with "Mighty Mighty Man" from Fallout 3 and the intro to Megaman 3.

---

Here's another one, and I play it pretty regularly, but I don't know the name of it. I see it in Japanese arcades pretty often. It's a first person on-rails shooter, but instead of shooting, you have these things you punch with. I don't know, it's pretty wacky. There was a "gang" level where you infiltrate an all-black gang in LA or something, and then there's a japanese level with ninjas that you punch in the face.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
There was an RPG a while back, or may be recent, that had a boss that just said "Buh Buh buh buh buh buh buh" over and over.

I think it may have been one of the Paper Marios, but can someone please help me out on this?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Sorry for a necromance, but does anyone remember an RPG where, about halfway through, your characters find a large mural in a dungeon or something that it supposed to tell the end of the world, or the past, or something? I think it was PS1 or PS2 era.

I know Tales of Vesperia had one, but I don't think that's the one I am remembering. If I remember right, it was in sorta a yellowish brown room, and as you were going deeper into the dungeon, the mural was on your left side.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What was that old freeware platformer with all the hats?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

TeamJesus posted:

I used to have a game back when I had a Windows 3.0 computer, though it may have been a DOS game.

In it, you dropped balls straight down from the top of a gamemap, and the ball would follow a pre-determined path. It could deflect, hit switches, or hit bad guys... but you could only choose which spot horizontally you dropped it from.

I recall it being a two player game.

Ultimately, it was a puzzle game as you would have to use some of the balls to open a door, move a bad guy, etc.

I have absolutely no idea what it was called but it was fun as hell.

It wasn't like The Incredible Machine where you were building these systems, you just had to solve them.

Edit: Found it!
Bolo Ball
http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Bolo_Ball.html

So I was slightly off how it worked, but oh well.

Oh man, Soleau Software. Kings of the 1001 games on one CD.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Erasmus Darwin posted:

And it's also not freeware. The only thing TF2 has in common with the described game is hats.

A better match would be the Flash game Platform Racing 2, which at least matches 3 of the 4 (freeware, platformer, hats). However, it's really not that old either -- only two and a half years or so. Although I suppose you could argue that's old in terms of Flash games.

Okay, by old, I mean I played it within the last 3 years.

I mean, this game had a whole lot of hats.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

dregan posted:

Wario Land? Alternately a google for 'platformer with lots of hats' gives: http://www.funny-games.biz/hats.html

Definitely not that. It had more of a "slick" look to it.

There were probably like, a ton of hats. Maybe 30ish. Like, you'd find one in the house you start in, then you go to the dungeon and you find a lot more.

I'm pretty sure they were all just cosmetic though.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Gorilla Radio posted:

Kid Chameleon?

Nope. It was an old flash freeware game from a few years ago, max.

It was a platformer, I think the dungeon was a giant tree?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Crazy Achmed posted:

Could this be The Tall Stump? It's a flash game that won a competition a few years back - I wouldn't call it particularly old, but it definitely has a lot of hats.

Yayyyyyyyy!

That's it. :3:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, reposting from like a year ago.

I had a game on one of those 1001 games on two cds things. It was just called "Amiga". It absolutely looked like a pre-NES game.

The screen was full of different shaped blocks. You controlled a snake, and you started at the top. You push down, and you would go down until you hit a block. Then you could turn. The goal was to get to a green block somewhere on the map. All the rest of the blocks were orange-ish red.

Searching for "Amiga game" doesn't work, obviously. Anyone have any idea where I could find it?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

That Awful Nick posted:

Math Blaster: Pre Algebra. loving loved that game.

There was also "MATH MANSION".

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
There was a little PC game a while back that was similar to a multiplayer version of Push Me Pull You except you were colored sand. If you were able to surround parts of the opponent's sand, you would turn it to your color slowly. I know that it had at least 3 player support, possibly even 4. Anyone remember that?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

oh hell and drat yes this game was so much fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I remember an old, late era NES game that was open world side scroller with private eye beat em up type aesthetics?

• Locked thread