Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm in need of assistance on these two games!

Back in the late 90's I had a disk with a bunch of sharewares and things like that on it. On of the games was a 100% top down, galleon styled naval combat game. You controlled a single ship and could fire cannons from either side of the boat, sinking enemy ships as you went. The map was finite, and if you went off the edge, you literally went over the edge, and you would see a little animation of you ship falling off of a flat Earth. I thought the game was called "Galleons" or something, but Googling isn't turning up anything!

Game 2 was another game, but I think this one game on a demo disc from a magazine. It involved a hover tank of sorts (FPS POV) with two guns that you could see on either side of the window I believe. The level I remember was wintery. There were sprite based infantry on the ground, but I believe the environment and the vehicles were done in polygons. I don't remember anything else about the game. It was definitely futuristic or Sci-Fi. I want to say the tank was mostly white/grey?

Edit: Wait! Another mystery game has popped up. I barely remember renting this from my childhood. It was a Genesis game. Top down perspective. I just remember running my character through what seemed to be like a long forest, running away from these dark "ninja" dudes. I remember being creeped out as a kid at the way the ninjas moved and chased me. I also didn't figure out how to play the game. They would catch me and kill me. The chasing seemed to be the very beginning.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

There's Overboard/Shipwreckers, for PSX, possibly.

The game was completely sprite based. And the viewing angle was straight down. It probably predated the PSX, possibly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

I remember there was a strange and innovative PC game circa 98/99/2000 that was a hybrid between the RTS and tower defense genres. I only played it a few times, but I remember that certain towers could cancel out the effects of others, and there was a lot of strategic balance.

Did it involve connecting the towers together via land strips? I feel like there was a big post somewhere about a game like that in Games at some point in the last 2 or 3 years if that is the case.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This reminds me of another ancient animal based computer game. You would choose an animal, and then have to navigate a screen (a grid layout?) with other animals on it. You had to avoid animals that were above you on the food chain, while moving over animals below you on the chain, unless you were on the bottom and then you were just avoiding everything. I don't think the game had any animations. Just your static little pictures moving left to right across the "board."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's kind of vague, so here is a page with a list of vehicular combat games and the year they came out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_combat_game

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Does anyone know which PS1 demo disc had Parrappa the Rappa and Jet Moto 2 on it? I'm more specifically interested in the main menu background music for nostalgia reasons.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

dregan posted:

Interactive CD Sampler 5 apparently, which sounds like it should be the name of a Chemical Brothers track.

Yessss. Thank you! So many fond memories. I played the poo poo out of this disc. I think it had one or two hidden demos if you press a shoulder button and spun the squares? Sadly though, I would only go on to own only one game from this collection of demos. Cool Boarders 2.

My fondest memory was a bit of emergent gameplay with the Jet Moto 2 demo. There is a part of the map with very tall rock walls that have just enough slope to them that they can be used as an extreme half-pipe. I spent hours doing tricks off of those walls.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This is neither a question nor an answer to a specific question. Rather, I thought I would just drop this here since this is a game I have often forgotten the name of and I figured that others may have too, since I have never seen people mention it. I think I actually asked about it in another one of these threads.

It's Pushover, the domino puzzle game featuring an Ant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHPbo_ZPX0

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Going to give this another shot since this thread is breathing again.

Genesis game. I only had a few minutes with it as a little kid, so all I can remember is what seemed like a top down perspective. I remember my character being in some kind of forest, well grassy area with trees is more like it. All I can remember about the few minutes of game play that I had was that I just held Down on the D pad and ran away from poorly animated "ninjas". I use quotes because I don't really know if they were ninjas, or just dudes in black robes or something. But yeah, my only memory was just holding down on the d pad and running away for what felt like an eternity before eventually stopping and dying to the dudes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mister Snips posted:

I remember playing a tetris knockoff type game - all of the details are hazy but there were falling gems of varying color and the play area size changed between levels? The backgrounds may have been bejewelled-style crazy cgi backgrounds but that might be me making poo poo up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5q1bU59Ic

Vague and generic, but i heard this song and i nstantly remembered i t was used in at least one of the levels. some midi knockoff of the hook but it's immistakably from that game.

Hot Butter Popcorn was also used in the old computer game "Digger".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's been a while so I figure I'd repost this but in different words:

Can anyone name some mid to late 90's POSSIBLY very early 00's (talking 2000-2001 here) first person hover tank based games? Obviously futuristic. One of the gaming magazines had a demo of the one I am looking for on CD (the levels took place in snow, I believe.) It was mostly 3D graphics, but I believe infantry units were sprite based. I am pretty sure you drove a hover tank. It certainly felt like it.

Might as well also toss out this one again, but I admit it is rough because I remember close to no details:

Top down Genesis game, possibly involving ninjas? I believe the game starts in a forest or wooded area, because my only memory of the game was renting, not knowing what to do since it had no manual, and just running almost endlessly away from poorly animated "ninja" sprites (me holding down on the pad.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

Since you mention snow and sprite-based infantry, I'm guessing that you're looking for Uprising: Join or Die or maybe its sequel.

It was Uprising 2! THANK YOU.

Holy crap, nostalgia flooding in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVl9iQa1Xw

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

This sounds just a bit like Gain Ground.

This wasn't it, but hell if this video didn't make me want to play this game for some reason...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This is a recent (I believe unfinished, as of the last time I saw it posted) game.

It is a town builder that is I BELIEVE supposed to be very "simulation-ish", with regards to resources and such. It is not Towns or Gnomoria, I THINK it was meant to be more realistic. I hesitate to use medieval to describe it. It clearly wasn't meant to "modern". I feel like it was posted a couple of times through out the SimCity 13 threads for reasons.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That was it!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

EightDeer posted:

There's a 2D space MMO I can't remember the name of; it was like a cross between Asteroids and EVE. The only thing I remember about it is parking my ship on some planet's surface covered with other ships and then logging out forever.

Was it subspace-continuum?

http://www.subspace-continuum.com/screenshots.php

Those screenshots might not be good enough, but that is the only 2D space MMO I can think of, and it was one that I think had a goon thread at one point.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There was an oldish PC RTS I got on a magazine demo disk that involved customizable humanoid giant mechs with normal sci fi RTS units as support. This would have been somewhere between 1999-2003.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

With all these f2p games, it is kind of amazing there hasn't been a new Shattered Galaxy, or something nearly identical to it. I always wanted a WH40K version of Shattered Galaxy, since it would work almost perfectly in the format, but I suspect Games Workshop wouldn't want something that good pulling people away from the ridiculously expensive minis they already don't buy. :smith:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I feel like Gearheads was one of those games that I seemed to see everywhere. Demo discs, the discounted software area, etc. I remember being intrigued by it as a kid simply because of the fact that I kept seeing it. To this day, I have never seen more than screenshots of it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I borrowed Legends of Legaia from a friend in HS and remember finding the combat system so interesting. It definitely appears to be one of those forgotten games. It's amazing how much those weird rear end early enemies stuck with me all these years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I was going to suggest the Rushing Beat series (Rival Turf, Brawl Brothers, and whatever the third one was) but apparently those were SNES exclusive and never released in arcades.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The only thing I could find was Atari's "Anti-Aircraft" from 1975. But that doesn't have a crosshair, and none the cabinets I've seen had a sit down model, though Atari definitely had sit down cabs for other games at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOyH_D_XLWU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I figured I'd go ahead and post some examples of games that seemed to have disappeared off the face of the Earth that I had encounters with as a kid, just in case anyone else was thinking about them:

Galleons, a top down ship to ship (old timey ships) combat game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4X-BAqlFo

Cyberdogs, a top down action game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcsTmcyq_w

Laser Light, a laser based puzzle game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOQfCpD1Ms

Terminal Velocity, polygonal sci-fi action flight game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5x7Bhxl5U

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wasn't there a very similar looking game that let you design the bosses? And another game similar to that one, but with more traditional graphics (and more part variety)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Hell yeah Cyberdogs!

Did you know it's open source now and still being updated?

https://cxong.github.io/cdogs-sdl/

Holy crap. That's awesome!

• Locked thread