Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Logite posted:

I remember playing this shareware game that you could buy for $20 that was 2d-ish and had your spaceship and a few other opponents...you would shoot your projectiles from weak ones to stronger ones and the planets around you would affect the shot. Your opponents also typed text based insults out...it was a turn based strategy game that was totally awesome from what I can remember. I wanted to buy it so bad :(

I think it also had online play as well. I've been wanting to find this game for ages.

Warheads, I think this is the main site for it: http://www.warheads.net/
Thanks for your post, I completely forgot about the game as well.

There was this old Chinese warez cd back in the day (95 or 96 maybe?) that had this game where you rode around in futuristic motorcycles around a huge arena shooting other cycles. I remember the arena being huge with all sorts of obstacles and flips. The graphics were in 3d as well and I think it was playable online. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Logite posted:

Wow. I love you.

The game isn't nearly as good as I remembered it being. Online play is a plus though :)

Thanks again.

I agree I just loaded it up and was craving Worms instead. Glad I could help though.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The Shortest Hobbit posted:

I think it's a PS1 game, all I remember is it was a RTS or similar to an RTS, it was set in the future and you controlled a mech, you were the blue team or red team, and you could also capture turrets and build tanks and such.

Another game that I believe was on the PS1, you were in a mech-suit and you went around a dungeon like maze and it was scary.

It's probably not it but is the second game Amok? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amok_(video_game)

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

kitkat_skye posted:

Sounds like DeathDrome to me. That was another of my favorite demo CD games.

Unfortunately I don't think that is it. I remember the graphics being more flat shaded and the cycles actually looking more like a futurist cycle than a tank. It may never be found. :(

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Secret Ooze posted:

Before I go buying this for nostalgia, is it as fun as my mind is tricking me into thinking it was?

I remember liking the demo of that too but I can honestly say it probably sucks if you were to load it up right now.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Phatzilla posted:

Game is about 10 years old, i played it as a kid

It was a plasticine world a la Abe's odyssey.

The Neverhood? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverhood

Need more details for that though.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

BethelBAR posted:

Okay, this was a demo I played in the mid 90's, a side scrolling platform game where you were a wizard, all I can really remember is that you healed by drinking from water fountains. That's all I've got.

Was it Baron Baldric? http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4052

There was a sequel but it was isometric so I doubt it was that one.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Bob Smith posted:

A DOS game that was a sidescrolling adventure like Dragon's Lair, but which had really nice .bmp graphics (I remember the backgrounds were .bmps because I used to import them into MSPaint with "Paste Special" and make my own "levels" and write fanfiction about them.) One of the areas was a kind of blue cathedral with vaults and a waterfall on one side, and there may have been a rolling rock.

I seem to recall you had to press buttons and solve puzzles to stop things happening (like the rock rolling down and killing you.) It was probably fantasy themed, but I really can't recall. My memory makes it seem like a more hi-res La-Mulana, but it certainly wasn't La-Mulana!

Also, there was a platformer for DOS that looked a bit like Commander Keen, but probably wasn't (your character looked a lot more like the dude from Crystal Caves, but the graphics were more futuristic and Keen 6-like.)

When you mentioned Crystal Caves first thing that came to mind was Secret Agent. http://www.3drealms.com/agent/

It's probably not it but worth a shot. It used the same engine so it wasn't too "Keen 6-like."

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

OK, not a game, but a chain of stores. There was a thread a while back of this chain of game stores— they were large and elaborate, and each had some sort of unique and fanciful theme in the decoration. There was a space one, a western one, etc. I could've sworn they were called Futureshop, but that seems to be the Canadian equivalent of Best Buy. I think the chain I'm thinking of was in the western/central US.

Not sure of a game store but Fry's Electronics had that but it was for a wide range of products. I used to live in the Bay Area and I remember a cowboy one I think in Palo Alto. Used to go there all the time and I think it's what you are thinking of.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I remember a game for the gameboy where it was a top down perspective and you had to dig holes so monsters can fall in them. Once they fell in you would scoop the dirt back in to kill them.

I think the name had the word panic in it and it was Japanese themed. Anyone?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

hemoptysis posted:

^^^^ Doki Doki Panic? e: On second thought, that might not be it, but it's the only Japanese game with Panic in the title that sprang to mind.

That's the game that always came to mind too but no it's not it unfortunately.

Emalde posted:

Heianko Alien.

That's loving it thank you so much man. I guess there was no panic in it.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There was this PC side-scrolling platformer where if you pressed a button, your character was swapped with your sister's character. I'm pretty sure you had different weapons from your sister, and you had one health sphere higher then she did. I think one of you may have had a whip, but I'm not sure on that. There was a boss at the end of the shareware episode

Is it Realms of Chaos? http://www.3drealms.com/roc/index.html

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

There used to be an old shareware game on PC I played several years ago. It's tough to describe but here goes;

The program was contained within an MDI form, and it was basically a dungeon crawler/roguelike. It had a dungeon map, and a 2D view that was useless except to show a sprite of what monster you were fighting. It had a randomly generated dungeon with many levels, and (most) items you found had to be identified and aligned.

If you died, a rescue crew from the town could come get you and revive you (for a fee), or you could rescue yourself with another character. Depending on how long you were dead before you were revived, you'd take a hit to your strength or constitution.

I want to say the game was called "Mordror", but googling that turns up nothing. I think there's a newer, 3D version of it out and I'd like to see it for myself.

Pretty sure it was Morder because I remember playing that quite a bit (along with the Moraff games) when I was younger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor:_The_Depths_of_Dejenol

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

What's that FPS that's in production that's suppossed to have good and somewhat realistic gun mechanics/physics/etc. They had a preview video of it showing the bazillion firearm choices you had available to you, and the action showed the character with a FN FAL, I think. He was adjusting the distance on the iron sights to hit longer range targets.

I'm not sure but is it Soldner?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

Soldner is definetely not "in production". It's a 5 y.o. turd...

Oh well there is a sequel "in production" I think haha.

Nizzle posted:

This adventure game. It was top-view, so you saw everything from above.

I was a lot younger than so I only saw my mom playing it, but it had this whole.. detective thing going on. It had a lot of brouwn and red colors (lol, that's what I remember) And the music was pretty spooky.

I also remeber that you needed to find an axe at some point.

It was situated in the present (or the near future)

It was a tile based game engine.

In my head, the game is called 'alone in the dark', but when I look that game up, it's not topview, so I must be mistaken.

Was this maybe the Nightmare On Elm Street game? http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/freddy-pcgame/default.php

Is there anything else you can remember?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

404notfound posted:

One of the old DOS shareware games I used to play was this fighter that featured characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms. In the shareware version, the only two playable characters were Guan Yu (green robes, red face, used a polearm) and Zhang Fei (red/blue clothes, fistfighter with a hadoken-esque move). I've tried googling for it, but searching for a Romance of the Three Kingdoms-based fighter obviously returns results for Dynasty Warriors, except DW came out several years after this and was for the Playstation, not the PC.

Anybody got an idea what I'm thinking of?

Pretty sure it's Sango Fighter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sango_Fighter

I remember it being pretty cool but you know how nostalgia works sometimes.

edit: Oh yeah and I remembered the Final Fight mode in it just now. Kind of like how Tekken sometimes has the "Street Mode" in the console versions. I wish more fighters did that. :(

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Baram posted:

alright, i vaguely remember playing a game about 10 years ago. it was a pc online multiplayer shooter, pretty sure some sort of deathmatch thing. it was 2d and top down, tile based movement i think, all the icons of the players were real small. the weapons i could remember were guns shooting laser/plasma balls of different colors, laser machine guns, and probably rockets. it was set in outer space on bases or something i think.

Infantry Online? http://www.station.sony.com/casualProduct.vm?Id=039

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nick at Nite man posted:

I was just thinking about this game today and found this thread through google. Heres what I remember. The game was compatible with some stupid VR goggle type things. There was a huge level (of multiple levels?) and your bike could be upgraded with different weapons. It looked like a primitive version of Starfox-type graphics. It was hard as hell and jumping was difficult because once you jumped you couldnt really change direction, plus the worlds were so large that it was hard to find the enemies. I do remember you could shoot the trees though, and I often played lumberjack because I got tired of trying to find the enemy bikes.

Dude I can't believe someone else out there remembers the same game. One day we'll find it... one day. :(

Thor-Stryker posted:

Trying to remember a PC game, multiplayer 2d Side-scroller where you would build up your base, then go out and hack consoles for credits. You could buy upgrades for your character and base and use them to go stealth, have better weapons, or special tools made to hack enemy bases.
Was free at the time, I could never remember the title name though.

Silencer

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

An old shareware game that came on one of those "50,000 games on one CD" things (in other words, probably impossible to find). You drove a hover car on a track and had to shoot other hover cars and/or pick up packages. The game was a series of tracks floating in the air, but it was very easy to hop off the tracks and fall to your doom or explore. I remember the game was overall very dark, but the underside of the hovercars and terrain would glow flourescent colors.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Probably not it but what about Hi-Octane?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any chance it was Cyberbykes?

Holy poo poo you're the man.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Apotheosis posted:

The game I'm thinking of is an isometric shooter with cartoonish graphics. The cool thing was the sheer amount of customization available to the player--you could customize your character or create new missions and new campaigns. I think the title had something to do with dogs. It was an independent game available for free on the internet, back in 2000 or so.

I know there's probably a million or so games that fit this description, but it's a case of "I'll know it when I see it."

e: just remembered some other stuff: the characters looked fat, one of the campaigns involved zombies, and there were tons of weapons.

Cyber Dogs

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, I've got one.

This was a game released a number of years ago. I remember getting it from a "3,000 games on one disk!" disk I got at Wal-Mart or something (I was young, ok).

It was basically this fairly large, primitive 3D world/course with all these crazy obstacles everywhere and you rode a racing bike around (I think you could pick either a red or blue bike) and pretty much did jumps and tried to navigate through tracks in the air and other random stuff. If I'm not mistaken, the sky and ground were mostly black, with a lot of primary colors used for the obstacles and stuff in the level. I'm talking primitive 3D stuff here. As in I can't even really remember if there were any curved surfaces in the game.

Upon the level's beginning, a helicopter flew you around the level until you pressed the spacebar and were released, where you were dropped onto the ground below and could then do whatever you wanted until (I'm pretty sure this was the way it went) you took enough damage that you blew up.

It was actually a lot of fun because you could go really fast and jump really far and high if you did things right. Also, some of the obstacles / mid air tracks were pretty intricate, taking you through tunnels, up really high and narrow strips, through big loops in the sky.

In one level (I think there were only a handful total) there was a large(ish) pyramid of blocks in a corner you could climb around on (by slamming into the blocks at top speed and the physics engine would glitch out and shoot you into the air).

Oh, and one level had a green ground and blue sky, and featured a very large, walled fort that you could jump in and out of, as well as all around.

edit: also, there *may* have been small turrets that could shoot you, and you *may* have had the ability to fire back at them in a straight line. If it was there, it was only an afterthought though, as riding around and doing tricks was the main focus of the game.

Me and another goon had a similar game answered. Is this it by any chance? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbykes

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

sfwarlock posted:

The other was on the Amiga about 1987. I think I played a demo of it on either a cover-disk or a Fred Fish disk. You were running around some sort of surreal landscape, seeing a small part of it on each screen, and it looked a little bit like a smaller (4x4?) chess board with different heights and sometimes items on some of the squares, and you were a wizard who could shoot lightning. Googling "Amiga wizard lightning", obviously, has been less than helpful.

Another long shot but was it Mystic Towers? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_Towers

On second thought that was only released on PC but worth a shot.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

SaviourX posted:

Okay, so this is from back in the heady days of awesome freeware cds with 200+ games. It was a top down level-based 2d action game, and the gimmick was you could play 3 players at a time on the same PC; my brother and his friend worked it out that we'd crowd around the keyboard and each have our movement/fire keys, and it worked out pretty well.

I remember you could pick the red/green/blue dude and you ran around the map picking up weapons and ammo and poo poo and it might have had friendly fire? Anyway, it was novel at the time and i've totally forgotten the name.

Threat

I used to love playing that with my brother.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Auk14HP posted:

Can't remember the name of it, but the game I'm thinking of was an Olympic-type game for the NES (or possibly SNES, but I doubt it) that, throughout the events you'd compete in, would have you set the pace for your country's runner in a long-distance race that took place while you competed in the rest of the events (swimming, etc). After every few events or so, you'd see the progress in the long-distance race and get to set your runner's pace once again.

Any idea what this game was called?

I haven't played them in years so I'm not sure but could they have been one of the Track & Field games for NES?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

JimProfitAnon posted:

Does anyone remember the name of a Windows game... my older brother had it with Duke Nukem, it was some sort of racing game.

I want to say Big Red Racing even though you gave no description.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

McSlave posted:

I remember playing this FPS somewhere around fifteen years ago. You started walking around a base, you got your weapons and armor, then the rest of the game was going around apartments killing aliens, and you could also get into a tank if you went outside. Any ideas?

I never played much of it but was it Cyclones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

sfwarlock posted:

If you could pick the name of the CD out of backbrain, this page might help: http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

This rules.

• Locked thread