Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There needs to be a stickied thread for this stuff. Tracking down old games is great fun, but I think I've seen activity in three different threads for this kind of thing in the past week.

West Ham Sandwich posted:

This has been bugging me for a while and I don't think anyone will know the answer because I only have vague recollections.

You may or may not have been some cave man type creature. You were in a jungle like environment. You could get red orbs to power up. It was for the SNES. When you got these red orbs you turned into like, super sonic or some poo poo. Only I think you were tinted red. Yeah, if anyone figures this out I'll love you forever.

This is probably Congo's Caper.

Gleng posted:

I have one. It's a very early FPS on the PS1. It was set on Mars (I think). Some levels were inside a space station, and some were outside. One gun shot blue electric poo poo. It wasn't anything to do with Red Faction. That's all I've got. :(

There's a chance that this one is PO'ed. Edit: My only other guess for this is Defcon 5.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

That's gotta be Underlight.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Calculon posted:

This one has been bugging me for a long time. About fifteen years ago I went to a summer day camp and they had a computer lab. We played this game I remember being particularly fun - I'm not quite sure if this was a Mac lab or a PC lab but given the time frame I'll guess Mac.

Basically it was a LAN game that featured an over the top view of a Dungeon. You were a wizard or something and walked around the dungeon, casting spells and such at your opponents. You could pick up new spells and maybe weapons. I know this is pretty vague but this was fifteen years ago when I was 7 so I don't have the most detailed memory of the gameplay.

Anyone have the slightest idea of what this could be?

I can't remember the title, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it was a fairly popular game, and was mentioned in a previous thread.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Inside Outside posted:

Anyway, it was a Dos with (I think) eight bit graphics. It was sort of like Grand Theft Auto before there was a Grand Theft Auto; it was an open-ended crime game where you formed a gang and did everything from robbing houses to kidnapping rich kids from playgrounds to hold them for ransom. My favorite part about the latter was sometimes gangs of machine gun-toting grannies would gang up on you for trying to kidnap kids.

Sounds like Crime Fighter.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Green Puddin posted:

This other game is a shooter, the english title being something like MASSIVE SHOOTER 64K or something. I've done searches for it but can't find it, probably because the game is in japanese or some poo poo so trying to find an english name to an asian game doesn't seem to work out.

Cho Ren Sha 68K?

Edit: The worm one might be LieroX, now superseded by OpenLieroX.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 7, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Lars posted:

Looking for a typical sidescroller for the PC with some kind of space prince duck as the main-char. He might have been called Drake or similar. From what i can calculate, it might have come out in 96 or 97.
It played not unlike Earthworm Jim. My best recollection of it, is that the first levels are jungle styled, while world 2 is a haunted house.
Also, the powerups had an announcer who would literally yell at you what you got: ie - "FIIIIIIIVE THOOOOOOUSAND POINTS!"

It was a pretty amusing game for my 7th grade self.

Ring any bells out there?

Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (1996) has ducks, jungles, haunted houses, platforming, and a level called Muddrake Mayhem. No space ducks, though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Lars posted:

Nope, ain't the one - The main dork wasn't a known cartoon character - just a random.

Wow, I've played that game tons and I just now realized that the main character is actually Donald Duck.

Anyway, the game you're looking for is Crazy Drake, developed by Neurotech.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 8, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

little white dog posted:

The second game is also a side scrolling shmup but you play as a green and red ship with angel wings, it's a cutesy character and level design, you can get upgrades for your ship like bigger wings and better guns by killing things, the bosses were great, their was a level which was in darkness except a circle around your ship so you couldn;t see what was coming.

Fantasy Zone, hell yeah.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

tazman posted:

Something I played on my Atari loving years ago, you were this monster or something and the game was a platformer based in the sewers. You had to collect garbage and slowly make your way to the surface I think. I think it was called Trash but I can't find anything like that. Anyone remember it?

The only game with a similar title I can find is called Oscar's Trash Race. I haven't actually played it, so this might be completely wrong.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

Star Wars vector game

The only possibility I can think of is Star Hawk.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

LizardBeam posted:

I've got one. It was an arcade game, I played it probably 6 or 7 years ago. Standard side-scrolling beat 'em up, mostly involving punching zombies. The characters were a girl, a dude with a trench coat who had a psychic crystal thing, and a big dude. There super moves were like full-screen summoning sequences. I think the crystal dude made ice everywhere?

I am pretty sure most of the zombies exploded a little when you killed them. Oh, and the dude threw off his coat at the beginning of each level, for no apparent reason.

Night Slashers. Be sure to get the Japanese version, the rest are censored.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CyberSpeed

Also, up, left, down, up, left, down, right, left, down, right, square, X, circle.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I used to love this game for the PC during the late 90's. I believe it took place entirely in some kid's nightmares and the menu screen was above his bed or something like that. Anyone have any ideas?

Keen Dreams?

(If it's Keen Dreams, don't play it. It's an awful game and will only destroy any fond memories you have of it.)

Edit: Okay I really need to stop falling asleep on my keyboard.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Encryptic posted:

I seem to remember this game was called "Ghost Hunter" or had "Ghost" in the title, but Google doesn't turn up anything. At any rate, I remember it was some kind of single-screen platformer where you played this guy trying to get through a haunted mansion or something. I remember the guy falling through a crack and his body flashing a skeleton (like an old cartoon where someone gets electrocuted) and occasionally dropping into a pit where walls would start closing in on you.

Ghost Hunters

\/ Real Lives :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 28, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

mongoibur posted:

What happened to that goon developed side scroller game that was talked a lot about on these forums a few years back?

The screenshots showed nice graphics with reflective water, big explosions and lots of blood. It is possible the name of the game contained "face", but I can't really be sure.

Facewound? It's here.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

El Destructo posted:

Need some help with an arcade title from either the late '80s or early '90s...you piloted a ship along a 3-D "track" in outer space, with an identical track floating overhead. The "tracks" were flat, straight, and moved very smoothly left/right and backwards/forwards, like the roads in Outrun, and looked like a high-level view of the Halo "ribbon". Beyond this "advanced" graphics gimmick, the gameplay was an ordinary third-person shooter.

The cabinet I remember seeing was a sitdown cockpit model. I believe it was a Namco title, but I'm not certain.

I can't find a pic of the cabinet, but this might be Thunder Ceptor.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hunkty Krunkty posted:

This one should be really hard. It was freeware, made with "Klik and Play" or whatever. It was a platformer, where you had to collect flags. When you collected all of them, you moved on to the next level. The graphics were pretty bad, like they were made in MS paint. You play as a small man with a yellow face. This game came on one of those stupid "303 game collection" disks and I'd like to play it again for nostalgia. I thought it was called "Flag Runner" or something but I can't find info on it with google.

Flags of Doom, for 1 plater.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 15, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

SUBLIME! posted:

Ok, this one is an Arcade game I played whenever I went to Peter Piper's Pizza. It was basically this fighting game with giant robots. There was a regular generic anime story behind it, and you fought as a big blue(?) robot piloted by this spiky brown haired guy. There were these special powers and beams and poo poo but I'm not really remembering.

Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Quarantine, most likely. Great box art there.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

M. Propagandalf posted:

Not that one, although between it and Sunset Riders, those are the only two notable Western side-scrollers I've found released in MAME.

Could be Heated Barrel or Charlie Ninja.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Necc0 posted:

There's a game that I played as a kid that kind of freaked me out and I'd love to see it again. I think it was for the original playstation, and the intro consisted of being in a car accident or something, being rushed through a hospital, than taken downstairs in this dingy basement where a bunch of other people are screaming in dentist's chairs. This robot thing comes down and sticks needles in your eyes and then the game starts.

All I remember is you're in some sort of vehicle... or something I'm not sure what it was. But you were at a carnival and there were various puzzles you had to solve. Only other thing I remember is that the entire level was sealed in with a giant wall and if you got over the wall there'd be tons of this enemy who'd kill you.

Anything?

This sounds like Slamscape. I actually have it on a shelf right next to me and I can assure you that it's a poo poo game.

E: Here's the intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mom-2ZadGFQ

\/ I haven't actually played the game in like eight years, but the back of the case shows four different levels. The manual says you're supposed to free four "Orb-Ids" in each area, but contains no info on what gameplay actually consists of. I mostly remember the game being impossible to control and like thirty minutes long.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

No, I know which mod he's talking about. Really crudely drawn sprites, a kind of pencil/paper aesthetic and sound effects created by mouth. Damned if I can remember what it's called, though.

Foreverhood

E: Or maybe Pencil Whipped, but that wasn't a mod of anything.

Orleans posted:

One would be a very, very dark game online deathmatch game where you were either a human or on a team of aliens that looked like bugs. It was class based, and there were crazy things like a giant scorpion and breeder-style thing. It may have been a mod for Quake or something.

This sounds like Gloom for Quake II.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 3, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Okay, I,ve got a couple of hard ones. First of is a racing game, I think from the early 90's, since I remember playing a demo of it on our old computer with a 386 processor. You raced across various highways in America, and in the demo you controlled a red Lamborgini. It was 2.5D, the camera was behind the car. It had VGA colors, and all the drivers had these little, horribly pixelated portraits. Might have been from Apogee. I would like to remember the name of it, since it was the very first video game I ever played.

The second one is much harder. It was an arcade game, and you flew around in a plane, shooting at poo poo, and maybe doing stunts. You used a joystick to control it. If I remember correctly, you could play it in multiplayer against someone who was seeted in front of another screen, with his own joystick. I think you had to compete for points, and there was this announcer guy or something who liked a little like the Colonel from KFC. One of the plains you could fly was a Biplane.

For those that are from the Netherlands as well, I played this game somewhere in the mid-90's in Schiphol airport.

The third one was a Mario Kart clone for PC, played under DOS, and had little, cute animals instead of Italian plumbers. I remember playing it in battlemode against friends and having a lot of fun.

I don't excpect any of these to be found, but hey, it's worth a shot, right?

1. Lamborghini American Challenge
3. Wacky Wheels

E: The second one might be Wing War by Sega.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 18, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Buckingham Palace also shows up in the Red Alert games.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The game I'm looking for is a console RPG with turn based battles. One of your party members had a "pray" command that could make all sorts of randomized stuff happen, similar to Paula in Earthbound. There was a particular boss battle or something where using it wouldn't give you the usual random healing/status effects, but instead would just pop up a text box that said something to the effect of "In this place, there is nobody to hear your prayers."

I remember it being kind of unsettling because it was so different in tone from the rest of the game. There's also a 60% chance I imagined this game completely because that seems to happen a lot.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

That's exactly what happens in the final battle with Giygas. You need to use the pray command a whole bunch and you call on a bunch of different characters in the game, but sometimes it won't be answered.

I actually read through a text dump of the game before posting and didn't find anything, but I guess you're probably right. I need to replay that game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

Is that what you were thinking of?

At this point I'm thinking that I had a dream about playing Earthbound that felt creepier than the real thing, because I can't find any other games that look even remotely right from screenshots.

• Locked thread