Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MA$E'S OLD CAR posted:

Nope, not that one. You could only fly from planet to planet and there were like 10 planets altogether. Every planet had a weird alien faction, some were religious, others were businessmen etc. Can't remember much more details, except that police sometimes stopped you in space if you accepted to carrying illegal cargo.

Someone already mentioned Gazillionaire and I have to agree. Each planet in that had a distinct race and action. Gas planet had cheap fuel, tropical planet raised moral ect. But you couldn't really build up a relationship with any planet.

For my forgotten game:
When I was a kid I was at a bowling alley that had an arcade. I was watching someone play this arcade game. This was about 18 years ago but, I'm really sure that it was a Mario game. The level I was looked similar to the overworld levels from Mario 1. The only thing I remember clearly is that there was a giant pie on the ground. It took up like half the screen and would have been hard to jump over. I'm a little hazy but I think landing on the pie killed him. I've never gone back there and never heard of anything like it.

was this a real game or am I half remembering a different arcade game, or am I just insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

RobeAndWizardHat posted:

This one is really bugging my sister and me. It was a computer game from the late 90s, most likely. We remember bits and pieces, so here goes:

There was a money tree. You had to clean up a park and you got a prize. It had some sorts of mini games where you earned money. There was a cat girl who sang a song about like cleaning and her life or something...we, sadly, remember some of the lyrics:

"Gotta hurry, gotta scurry,
I'm as busy as I'm furry.
That's a lot of hair,
a lot of jobs,
and oh I love them gobs and gobs..."

It goes on, but, uh...this is embarrassing enough haha. Pretty sure it was like a 2D adventure-type game. Hopefully this is enough information to be helpful. Thanks!

I could probably sing half the songs in this if I had to. The game is called Moneytown.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
About 15 years old. A side scrolling game where there were constantly spears and knives and things coming in from off screen. You could jump or duck or knock them down. There was fighting too, but I think it was more dodging stuff. This game sticks with me because I played it at a mall. It was a standup arcade game but free to play.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

...! posted:

Sounds like Gladiator, but that's more like 25 years old.

This isn't it. The one I'm thinking of took place out doors. I'm also pretty sure it was strictly 2D and didn't have that illusion of depth that most beat-em-ups have.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

axolotl farmer posted:

Kung-Fu Master?

I'm pretty sure the game I played had better graphics. I think it was still before then SNES came out but arcade games had 16 bit graphics.

and I think the game took place outside.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Capsaicin posted:

What was that old freeware platformer with all the hats?

This is weird. It's much newer and an FPS but it sounds like you are describing Team Fortress 2.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Holistic Detective posted:

So I just watched The Fifth Element and it's reminded me of a game I played a demo of years ago that I just can't properly recall. Here's what I can remember:
  • Took place on the lower levels of some vast city (Hence why The Fifth Element reminded me of it)
  • You controlled a group of several people, each with different skills to solve puzzles.
  • At least one person on your team was a robot or similar.
  • I'm pretty sure your squad was supposed to be members of the police or army or something.
Somebody help me out, this is driving me crazy.

This was to be Project Eden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eden

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I'm trying to to remember this 2D platformer/hack and slash game I used to play on the Sega Genesis, it was a medieval game where you could use magic, it wasn't Golden Axe and the only other thing I can remember was it had a game case twice as big as normal ones and the graphics were really nice.

The first thing that jumps to mind is "King of Dragons" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_dragons

Any chance it was the SNES and not Sega?

edit: sorry I read that as having a large game "cast" which is what always made that game stand out to me.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 19, 2011

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This was a commadore 64 game. The first level was a 2D cut away of a building allowing you to see the different rooms. You started near the top and there was another character running around at the bottom trying to catch you. There was a copier or something on the 2nd floor that could drop papers out of the window causing the second character to run over and gather them up. I could never figure out a way to dump the papers and get downstairs before the badguy came after me.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Execu-speak posted:

I remember this old NES game I had when I was a kid where you were a scientist running around maze like levels manipulating pipes etc to get out. It had really good two player and I think it also was one of the games that also used the little robot thing for the NES.

Can't for the life of me remember the name though, it was tons of fun and I played the poo poo out of it.

This has to be Gyromite.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Erasmus Darwin posted:

Is this it? http://www.mobygames.com/game/cpc/goonies_/screenshots/gameShotId,227396/

That's Datasoft's The Goonies, based on the movie and not to be confused with Konami's various games that were also based on the movie.

(The copier was supposed to be a printing press churning out counterfeit money.)

This is definitely it. I can't believe anyone got it from that description so fast.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Digital_Jesus posted:

Alright, This thread has now generated an idea in my brain.

Back in the DOS days, probably on a 5.25" disk, I played a game that was (IN COLOR WITH GRAPHICS) set in a Radio Station or a TV Station or some kind of Broadcasting Facility. You had to wander around and solve puzzles or some poo poo like you were in a pseudo game show, there were tons of rooms and unfortunately I don't remember anything other than it was fun as hell.

Also about the same timeframe as the radio station game there was a platform-ish jumping game set in an ancient egyptian pyramid settings. You'd jump around and collect symbols to open doors and stuff.

This has been bugging me for years so if anyone has a clue please help :ohdear:.

We they edutainment? I think you may be referring to: OutNumbered! and Challenge of the Ancient Empires!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

onecircles posted:

I played this game some time between 1996 and 1998. It was like a tank warfare game, but the player controlled a flying mountain with a castle. You would customize your floating mountain with all manner of strange guns, and then go fight other flying mountains. A highlight for me was building an island covered in light towers which would shoot a laser beam while rotating. Many deadly laser polygons were had.

Is this game as rad as I remember? Thanks much!
I forget the name, but it's been mentioned at least 2 times in this thread if you feel like going back through it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I never played it but maybe Tropico?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
My school had this too. It was one of the super solvers games. I think called "treasure mountain."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

dads_work_files posted:

Boppin', by the tragic internet clown Jennifer Diane Reitz. The comic you're thinking of is

Wow so what did this guy actually do? Just refuse to make a game for her?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Nut Bunnies posted:

There was this PC game I played as a kid that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. The main character was a kid with a striped shirt and he had a blue dog. You were looking for this stink beetle & had this rival that was also looking for it. You went through rural areas. It had a really unique art style, too. Ahhh this is killing me!

I think I played this years ago for like 5 minutes on a demo machine at a computer store, but I also don't remember the title either. Was it a sort of point and click game with really long cutscenes?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This one is probably impossible. I played it about 15 years ago. It was an in browser game that was all text based but I think it used check boxes and stuff too. I just remember you start by making character and you had a really really long list of skill to choose from. With stuff like hypnotism and levitation. The opening scene you are overhearing two guys talking about how some magic thing will effect the spice trade. I never really figured out how t get anywhere in it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is probably hopeless because everything I remember is really vague.

Played in 1990-1992 on an arcade machine
A 2player beat-em up
The first level was a city street in the day time
Enemies were generic 90s thug types.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

al-azad posted:

Okay, that narrows the list down from 1,000 games to 999 games.

Were there selectable characters or was player 1 and player 2 tied to a specific character?

Do you remember how much room the characters took up on screen? Let's say on a scale of Final Fight being the largest and Crime Fighters the smallest.

Was it realistic or "weird?" Like are we talking The Warriors multiracial gangbangers or Streets of Fire neon rock-and-roll or Hobo with a Shotgun "suddenly I'm fighting a demon robot with a noose-gun"?

No selectable characters. I don't really remember the size of the characters but it was 2.5D style where you had some up and down movement. The bad guys were definitely on the normal side. denim vest/ leather jacket type guys. I kind of remember them tending to let you best up their allies instead of swarming you.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

al-azad posted:

If it's not Crime Fighters then it sounds like Vendetta (Crime Fighters 2).

I don't think either of these are it. It definitely didn't have anyone you could kill in one hit.

Chinook posted:

I can't imagine it's Final Fight but it does have a few normal thugs early on.

baka kaba posted:

I'm gonna say Renegade just because, even though it could be almost anything

I'm afraid it's not these either. I wish I could remember more but I think it was just extremely generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Chinook posted:

I played Street Smart in a laundromat by my house in like 1990, and even though it's only one thug at a time (I think), it also fits the description somewhat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzh1y6UuCu4

I think this is actually pretty close in visual style, but it was a more traditional brawler with multiple enemies.

• Locked thread