Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

SNES RPG: Five characters to the party. About as generic an RPG as you can get. Eventually, you went up in the sky. I think the basic "potion" equivalent was "Plums" or something.

Secret of the Stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there's this game where you're like playing ping pong or something

it's old

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lexorin posted:

There was this RTS I once played for all of 30 minutes in the mid 90s. All I can really remember is that you had a mother ship of some sort that touched down on some random earth-like planet. From there you could direct a construction rover to construct buildings. I remember that when the buildings where being built they would have a little construction animation going on with scaffolds and whatnot. And that's about it, really not a whole lot to go on...

Every RTS ever

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Slickdrac posted:

Here's a game I really want to learn what it was called, so I can play it again.

It was a robot fighting game, like Mortal Kombat, it was a DOS program that has to be at least 16 years old, iirc. You started with this one blocky robot, and as you won fights, you got more money. I don't remember if you could upgrade your robot at all, but you could buy better robots. The best robot was fairly curvy and cool looking (to my ~5 year old self) and it's special move was what I called "The Shadow Attack." When you used it, you would start having a trail of your robot start following you, kinda like if you turn on trails for you mouse. The fights took place in a cage, I'm fairly certain the walls were electrified as well.

That's about all I remember, I used to play this game on my cousin's computer. He kept hiding it so I couldn't play, and got pissed at me every time he saw that I had kept cracking his attempts to keep it from me. Him being 12 years older than me makes it something I still bring up to him from time to time. Sucks to get your tricks broken by someone who is a third your age.

One Must Fall: 2097, possibly?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krakhan posted:

Here's a request of mine, which has been bugging me lately:

It's an NES space shooting game, where the levels are each planet in the galaxy (starting from either Mercury or Pluto). The enemies come from the center of the screen, and your ship moves around in a circle with fire shooting towards the center of the screen. I think there are powerups and such too you can acquire as well. Any ideas?

Sounds like Gyruss.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Chumpion posted:

It was on pc.. but i had it for the psone, it was called corporation or constructor or something and you set up houses and then had to get rid of squatters and hippies whilst managing your union or something.. or did you have to bring squatters in.. either way it was a very odd game but strangely endearing and i would love some flashback to it.

It was posted on the previous page and it is called Constructor.

edit: my penis is larger than subtledagger's

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tynam posted:

Request!

I've been searching for this game for a while now, and figured I'd try here. PC game. Early 90s or possibly earlier. The game let you choose a country of modern Earth, and you became that country's leader. If I remember correctly, the game resource was population, and the game revolved around manipulating it. You could launch nukes at opposing countries to reduce their population, launch missile defense systems to protect against nukes, use propaganda to steal enemy population, etc. Random events would happen too, like aliens stealing population. One event I clearly recall (probably from propaganda) was a country having a free BBQ, stealing population from adjacent countries.

Quite possibly one of the best time-sink games.

This sounds like New World Computing's Nuclear War, which was remade as Nuclear War 3: Ground Zero.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

What's that FPS that's in production that's suppossed to have good and somewhat realistic gun mechanics/physics/etc. They had a preview video of it showing the bazillion firearm choices you had available to you, and the action showed the character with a FN FAL, I think. He was adjusting the distance on the iron sights to hit longer range targets.

I can't remember the exact name, but I do remember that the game is effectively canceled since a whole bunch of coders left the company.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Barney Must Die posted:

Name escapes me on this one, but I'm pretty sure it started with an A.

It was an old Commodore 64 game, basically like chess except when you took a piece instead of simply taking it both players would go into a little battle arena (with randomly place barriers in the middle) where you would run around and fight it out, so that ultimately event he defending player could win.

The only pieces I can remember where the pawns who were sword and shield type guys, and the queen who was (for lake of a better description) a lizard that shot a laser out of it's tail.

Any ideas?

Archon: The Light and the Dark

Weedle
May 31, 2006

404notfound posted:

One of the old DOS shareware games I used to play was this fighter that featured characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms. In the shareware version, the only two playable characters were Guan Yu (green robes, red face, used a polearm) and Zhang Fei (red/blue clothes, fistfighter with a hadoken-esque move). I've tried googling for it, but searching for a Romance of the Three Kingdoms-based fighter obviously returns results for Dynasty Warriors, except DW came out several years after this and was for the Playstation, not the PC.

Anybody got an idea what I'm thinking of?

Destrega?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

This is a Japanese game, likely an action-rpg, and likely one of those freeware PC games meant to look retro, like La-Mulana. Your character is a girl, and the visual style is very reminiscent of Earthbound.

I saw a youtube video which involved the player repetitively going into a room, turning the light off, and leaving. After about the ten millionth time doing this, when the light is turned off, this other girl in the room turns into this strange shape that looks like a misshapen ghost face and scary music starts playing. The player character starts crying, and this thing slowly chases her around the room (moving one floor tile at a time) until it catches her, and transports her to some strange nightmare world where the ground is white and I think the sky has red streaks. The player then wanders back and forth aimlessly, goes into a menu entirely in Japanese, selects some things, and eventually teleports someplace else.

Edit: I think this was mentioned here or somewhere else in a thread about scary games.

Oh gently caress I know EXACTLY what you are talking about what is the NAME of that

edit: it starts with an e

Weedle fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 30, 2008

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ganty posted:

Wow I really want to play this now for some reason.

ME TOO :byodood:

I know there is a video on Youtube of this game, why can I not find it

Weedle fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 30, 2008

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

This is a SNES or Genesis ROM I played over a year ago. It was a bloody sidescroller that reminded me of Splatterhouse, though it was more dark fantasy than horror, or something. You start out as a guy that can run, jump and shoot, and the first level is in some sort of building that may have had an elevator section, but definitely had a big boss chasing you who reminded me of Crocomire from Super Metroid. After that, you turned into either a demon or a dragon-man who could double jump, and the second level was in some sort of evil garden or forest ruin. The bit I remember most clearly is that in this stage there were these fairy enemies who would fly out of tree stumps, and I think you could kill and eat them for health. Somewhere in here was a boss who bounced around/teleported, and may have gotten smaller as you hit it. It might have been a big eyeball or a wheel, though I might be confusing it with that fire wheel boss from Actraiser.

Golden Axe?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deadkiller615 posted:

I never played it but I thought it looked cool. It was a third party pc game where you were on a cruse ship and everyone had to kill someone until no one was left. And was it any good?

The Ship. It's pretty good; people around here seem to like it.

also what do you mean "third party PC game"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ChirreD posted:

Maybe anyone knows this one:

It's a racing game, futuristic I suppose, and you race in a tube where you're magnetically attached to the sides. It's CRAZY fast, pretty much limited by your own reactionspeed. You have obstacles you have to avoid. Since it's a tube, you can rotate around in the tube (360 degrees), except if you are on the inside of a turn or bumped into an obstacle, you'd lose grip of the sides and float slowly in the middle of the tube, trying to get back on again (like a magnet).

Ballistics?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Captain Eric posted:

There was this one game that is not out yet (and probably wont be for some time) that was being made entirely by one person. It was some mmo/multilayer game that's supposed to have a fully persistent world and terraforming and had some crazy filters that make it look like a painting. Its ridiculously stylistic and ridiculously ambitious. I wanted to show the website to a friend who is a developer, but of course I cant remember it.

That would be Love.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gromit posted:

Sounds like some flavour of Space Wars. It was a very early arcade game, circa 1977, but you might have been playing a remake or emulated version. You don't say what platform it was on, so who knows.

1977, hell. Try 1962.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

I'm looking for a game I read about a few months ago and don't believe has come out yet. I don't remember what system it's for. It's a collection of "old" games by a fictional company, or a collection of new games made to resemble retro games, something like that. I remember it includes a full-length RPG. I had this exact idea a couple years ago, and am delighted that someone is actually making it.

Retro Game Challenge.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Olewithmilk posted:

Hi, guys! I'm really hoping someone know what game I'm talking about but I'm going to be really vague about it because I haven;t played it since I was little. It was a game for the commodore system that used tapes. It was text adventure, you were a detective and the opening part took place in your office. Even though it was a text adventure there were graphics on top of the text so you could see the room your were describing. In the detectives office was a big yellow mac and parked outside was a red car.

This is a long shot, but it might possibly be Borrowed Time (known as "Time to Die" outside the US).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dirty Job posted:

A third person fantasy game for the PC, the title had something to do with masks. Like, "blah blah mask" or "mask blah blah" not entirely sure which.

I remember it was really, really dark, and I never got further than playing it for a few minutes so I can't really say anything else.

edit: This was a long, long, LONG time ago. Around the time Half-Life came out.

Was it King's Quest: Mask of Eternity?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

campfire posted:

ALSO:
Microsoft sci-fi flying combat game (6 degrees, like descent), could use a joystick, I can't remember the name for the life of me, there were a bunch of different ships and things you could get as the game progressed and you may have been able to customize weapons too. This was also mid-90s iirc.

Probably Hellbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

^^ Not it.

Uhh let me think of what else the game had. You were the sheriff though not by choice, which was part of the reason you had to fight that guy. At one point a bunch of outlaws come into town and you have to shoot them down. You stay at a gambling parlor and can play card games, there was a Frenchman there too.

Man I wish I could remember its name

edit: I could be mistaken on most of these details too

Was it Law of the West?

• Locked thread