Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Luxmore posted:

Also if anyone wants some short-dated (August 08) Neopan 1600 for $5 a roll, let me know, because I just picked up a crapload of it.

A quick flickr search interests me to this film, what is your experience with it? I would be interested in a few rolls if a beginner like me could develop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm thinking of getting some Efke 25 in 120. To shoot long exposures on my Yashica 635 in daylight.

I saw these amazing photos some russian guy took in St Petersburg of crowds moving through the city. All ghostly body parts and sharp buildings. I want to do something like that in my city.

Anyone ever use this stuff? I know they recommend a hardening fixer, which Kodafix is so Im good, but any other personal tips would be nice.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

A quick flickr search interests me to this film, what is your experience with it? I would be interested in a few rolls if a beginner like me could develop it.

One of my favorite films for street photography, works great at 800, 1000, and 1600, decent tonality and sharpness for such a fast film, extremely grainy and I love it.

Heres an example of it, this was shot in a dark basement with a single bare bulb, I guessed exposure at 1/4th at f3.8 at box speed, and it was probably a full stop underexposed there was still plenty of detail in the negative though.

8th-samurai posted:

I'm thinking of getting some Efke 25 in 120. To shoot long exposures on my Yashica 635 in daylight.

I saw these amazing photos some russian guy took in St Petersburg of crowds moving through the city. All ghostly body parts and sharp buildings. I want to do something like that in my city.

Anyone ever use this stuff? I know they recommend a hardening fixer, which Kodafix is so Im good, but any other personal tips would be nice.

I've shot a roll of it in 35, but haven't had it developed yet, but looking around flickr I'm very excited to see what its like.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001
I have some Efke 25 6x9 sheetfilm that I can't use because it won't fit in my 2x3 Speed Graphic holders :argh:

UserNotFound posted:

I actually have no idea, my first roll is hanging up to dry right now, though it won't tell you anything about the low light performance since I shot it during blazing mid-day sun. Looks like johnsavoia's got that end covered, though.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

drat you film thread! I bought a Graphlex 4x5 off Ebay, should get it in a week or so. I also just bought my first batch of film chemicals and tanks in god knows how long, primarily because the local shop nearly doubled the price of their already expensive developing fees.

As for the 4490, I have had mine and been very happy with the speed and quality, mostly with 35mm and 120 scans.

My question is- are there any benefits of using bulk loaders, or has that died off with digital? I loved the bulk loader we had for film, and I don't need 80 million 35mm cannisters floating around.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

hybr1d posted:

My question is- are there any benefits of using bulk loaders, or has that died off with digital? I loved the bulk loader we had for film, and I don't need 80 million 35mm cannisters floating around.
I'm not sure why bulk loading would lose relevance because of "digital"; if it's done anything, it's made the loaders cheaper, so you're actually further ahead.

Congrats on the 4x5, by the way.

Luxmore fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 17, 2008

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Yeah, I just remembered the bulk loader right after ordering a bunch of rolls of Tri-X. How does everyone store their beauties? By no means do I have anything that I'd want to show off to others, but I do enjoy looking at the cameras when they're not in use. Does anyone have the same lust for their older gear, and how do they handle it?

Thanks!

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

Yeah, I just remembered the bulk loader right after ordering a bunch of rolls of Tri-X. How does everyone store their beauties? By no means do I have anything that I'd want to show off to others, but I do enjoy looking at the cameras when they're not in use. Does anyone have the same lust for their older gear, and how do they handle it?

Thanks!

I have everything in a big sliding drawer under my bed, which is right next to my desk, I often find myself opening it up and playing with various cameras when I should be doing something else, if I had more space I would love to display them somewhere nicer, as it is I have... 29 cameras, dozens of lenses, a few flashes, filters, accesories, parts from broken lenses/cameras and more film than I'll reasonably shoot anytime soon, all in a jumbled mess beside me. As far as lust for old gear, I'll admit it, if I see a banged up spotmatic at a thrift store or yardsale, I must have it, old cameras are absolutely beautiful.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

hybr1d posted:

How does everyone store their beauties? By no means do I have anything that I'd want to show off to others, but I do enjoy looking at the cameras when they're not in use. Does anyone have the same lust for their older gear, and how do they handle it?

I have mine on a bookshelf. I'm always picking up my Seagull and playing around with it, or looking wistfully at my broken LCA and Olympus XA.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I have mine on a bookshelf. I'm always picking up my Seagull and playing around with it, or looking wistfully at my broken LCA and Olympus XA.

Broken XA? How broken? Because it really deserves to be fixed and used. :ese:

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
All my cameras just chill on my desk, I usually end up fiddling around with them at various points during the day.

Talking of gear, show and tell time I reckon.

This is my Bronica ETRsi, love it to death. It takes 120 film and shoots 6x4.5 through a 75mm f/2.8 Zenzanon PE lens, which has better optics and coating then the earlier MC and EII versions. Leaf shutter with 1/500 sync etc etc. It's a wonderful camera, I picked it up from eBay for a good price, boxed in mint condition (still had the original battery and the serial number sticker on the tripod mount is unmarked).

And with the speed grip and AEII prism viewfinder (built in lightmeter which is useful)... I usually use it like this, but it gets loving heavy after a while. Also, using the waist level finder and guessing exposures is much more fun.

blambert fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 20, 2008

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

blambert posted:

That's a beautiful camera. I've always wanted that form factor, but went with TLR's instead. I'll scan eBay for Kiev 88's occasionally, but I can't justify another film camera when I'm still in need of a TTL flash for my DSLR.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What's the difference between the ETRsi/etc from the SQ-A/etc lines? I was looking at an ETR/ETRs/ETRsi lens on eBay (donor lens for a homemade tilt-shift on my 35mm) and noticed it went for kinda cheap.

Reichstag posted:

Broken XA? How broken? Because it really deserves to be fixed and used. :ese:

It was such a great compact, I miss the hell out of it. It's something really small... the meter works fine, aperture blades/ISO selector are fine, but the shutter will only fire on one speed 95% of the time, I think something like 1/60s. I tried googling the problem and a few people had written that it was an electromagnet/lever assembly (accessible through the bottom plate) at fault, and to try lubricating it with lighter fluid. I tried it before and it didn't really work... I could get the proper shutter speed maybe 40% of the time, but it soon went back to the usual 5%. I'm trying again this evening (getting ready to pack for a long trip this week), but it's not going too well.

Anyone else have a guess what the problem might be? If I can't fix it on my own I'll just buy another one and leave this one around for parts/a project. I was thinking about turning it over to a repair shop and having them recalibrate the meter to underexpose by 2 stops, giving me an ISO 100-3200 camera. I wouldn't mind risking one with a gimp shutter as a lab rat, then put a functional one under the knife. I've got 10 rolls of Natura 1600 burning a hole in my fridge :p

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 19, 2008

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's the difference between the ETRsi/etc from the SQ-A/etc lines?
Mostly that the ETR series is 6x4.5, the SQ series is 6x6.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

blambert posted:

All my cameras just chill on my desk, I usually end up fiddling around with them at various points during the day.

Talking of gear, show and tell time I reckon.

This is my Bronica ETRsi, love it to death. It takes 120 film and shoots 6x4.5 through a 75mm f/2.8 Zenzazon PE lens, which has better optics and coating then the earlier versions. Leaf shutter with 1/500 to 8s etc etc. It's a wonderful camera, I picked it up from eBay for a good price, boxed in mint condition (still had the original battery).

And with the speed grip and AEII prism viewfinder (built in lightmeter which is useful)... I usually use it like this, but it gets loving heavy after a while. Also, using the waist level finder and guessing exposures is much more fun.

What did the full setup with speed grip and prism viewfinder run you? I'm looking to move past my Yashica, and this looks like a good way to do it.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I paid £350 on eBay (with 3 rolls of 800z and 3 of PanF Plus 50), seems to be the going rate... possibly slightly high but considering it's condition I don't really mind. Ones with the EII lenses go for quite a bit less.

Edit: That's UK prices mind you. Am I right in assuming it'd be cheaper in the US?

blambert fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 19, 2008

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

My Yashica arrived today!
1 sec and 1/2 sec speeds are a bit sticky, but other than that it seems fine. Can't wait to run a roll through her.
This thing is way smaller than I thought it would be, yet heavier. Came with a decent condition leather case too, but I think I'll keep it out of that.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 19, 2008

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nice D! If you exercise the shutter a bit it wouldn't surprise me if the 1/2 and 1 sec speed get a little smoother.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I love my yashica. Seeing that picture makes me want to go out and finish the roll of film in my 635. Except for that I think its ektachrome and the light sucks around here right now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I went to the camera market today to look for a replacement for my Olympus XA. I found one shop that had one, but they wanted $100 for it. Haven't decided if I'm that desperate yet (eBay + EMS shipping almost makes that price competitive).

Also saw a Mamiya RB67 (jesus christ those things are huge) and a Canon 7 with 50mm f/0.95 (asking about $1600... pass).

I've got 10 rolls of Fuji Superia I'd like to use on my upcoming trip. I've got an Elan II body that could take it (as well as a 50mm f/1.8 and 21mm f/2.0 for low light shooting), but the XA's highest ISO setting is only 800. Would I still get decent results if I overexposed it by a stop and told the lab I'd exposed it at 800? I know it's a waste of good high-speed film, but I've seen precious little ISO 800 film around. I only paid about a dollar a roll for it anyways.

Any other small, sub-$100 (pocketable would be nice, though not totally necessary) cameras with AE metering and support ISO 1600 or greater I should look in to?

blambert posted:

Edit: That's UK prices mind you. Am I right in assuming it'd be cheaper in the US?

Yeah, you guys kind of get it in the pants as far as camera prices, especially if you're comparing against the weakened dollar. Unfortunately you'll often get hammered with duties if you try and order something from overseas, unless the seller is willing to get, uh creative for you on the customs declaration form.

Luxmore posted:

Mostly that the ETR series is 6x4.5, the SQ series is 6x6.

Whoops, that's it. I was looking in to buying some Bronica gear last year, but decided go with lighting equipment instead. Still, looked like a great system, and everything is very reasonably priced. MF has been a buyer's market for a the last couple of years (lucky us!)

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've got 10 rolls of Fuji Superia I'd like to use on my upcoming trip. I've got an Elan II body that could take it (as well as a 50mm f/1.8 and 21mm f/2.0 for low light shooting), but the XA's highest ISO setting is only 800. Would I still get decent results if I overexposed it by a stop and told the lab I'd exposed it at 800? I know it's a waste of good high-speed film, but I've seen precious little ISO 800 film around. I only paid about a dollar a roll for it anyways.

Not familiar with the XA, but theres not exposure compensation that you could use to fool the meter into exposing correctly? Otherwise I would say the Elan II and 21/2 would be the ultimate combo with some 1600 film.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

johnasavoia posted:

Not familiar with the XA, but theres not exposure compensation that you could use to fool the meter into exposing correctly? Otherwise I would say the Elan II and 21/2 would be the ultimate combo with some 1600 film.

Unfortunately not... it has a +1.5 stop compensation lever for backlit subjects, but that's the wrong way. I'm hoping to take one to a camera tech someday and have him recalibrate the meter -2EV, to give me a more modern ISO 100-3200 range (plus have ISO 32 or whatever accessible with that backlight compensator). Having ISO 3200 plus the 35mm f/2.8 Zuiko lens in my pocket would be awesome.

I was looking at OM's and considering one of them plus a 50mm. They're not quite small enough to fit in a pocket, but still amazingly compact for a full-frame film SLR.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Unfortunately not... it has a +1.5 stop compensation lever for backlit subjects, but that's the wrong way. I'm hoping to take one to a camera tech someday and have him recalibrate the meter -2EV, to give me a more modern ISO 100-3200 range (plus have ISO 32 or whatever accessible with that backlight compensator). Having ISO 3200 plus the 35mm f/2.8 Zuiko lens in my pocket would be awesome.

I was looking at OM's and considering one of them plus a 50mm. They're not quite small enough to fit in a pocket, but still amazingly compact for a full-frame film SLR.

Doing some quick reading on Superia, looks like you could expose it at 800 and develop normally and still get decent results, even better if you could find a lab that would pull process it for you. If you gotta have the small camera, go for it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

johnasavoia posted:

Doing some quick reading on Superia, looks like you could expose it at 800 and develop normally and still get decent results, even better if you could find a lab that would pull process it for you. If you gotta have the small camera, go for it.

Great, thanks! 1600 print film doesn't require any special equipment or chemicals, right? (so I can just take it anywhere?)

Now to get that written on a card in Vietnamese and Lao, and I should be all set :cool: Going back to that market on Monday, hopefully nobody bought it.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Great, thanks! 1600 print film doesn't require any special equipment or chemicals, right? (so I can just take it anywhere?)

Now to get that written on a card in Vietnamese and Lao, and I should be all set :cool: Going back to that market on Monday, hopefully nobody bought it.

Is it c41? I would try and find a decent place, go to a camera store and have them do it or use wherever they ship to, dont trust a CVS with anything but the film CVS sells.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
New toy that arrived yesterday:

I've put a roll of Velvia 50 and Portra 400 through it already but won't be able to see the results until tomorrow or maybe the day after. I'm very excited.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Back_From_Termina- Very nice. I have to wait for my film to get here from freestyle before I can try my Yashica.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Picked up a pretty much mint condition XA for $90 today at a shop. It's more than I'd have liked to pay, but options were limited and I know I'll get a lot of use out of the little guy on my trip. Rangefinder is brighter and more purple(?) than my old one.

What do you guys think is a reasonable asking price for a Seagull 4B-1 TLR? Trying to sell mine locally and not sure what to ask. It's in very nice shape, with a cable release, 4.5x6 mask, and a neckstrap/case thing. I've also got 38 rolls of 120 film (half slightly stale but refrigerated Velvia 100, half Lucky 100 B&W film) to offer along with it, though I can always split that up and sell it to Holga shooters. Mods, this isn't a passive-aggressive way of offering it for sale in the thread by the way.

johnasavoia posted:

Is it c41? I would try and find a decent place, go to a camera store and have them do it or use wherever they ship to, dont trust a CVS with anything but the film CVS sells.

Yeah, just C41 (as is the Kodak B&W I got). There's a pro lab I use here for everything but the throwaway experimental stuff, but I'm going to be on the road for 2 months and don't think the heat and humidity will do the film much good, since it's a bit past its expiration already.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Back_From_Termina posted:

I've put a roll of Velvia 50 and Portra 400 through it already but won't be able to see the results until tomorrow or maybe the day after. I'm very excited.

That's beautiful. The Mat-124's are something I've never really looked at due to price. How much did that one set you back? Oh and the most important question does the meter still work?

What kind of strap is that? I need to find something simple for my TRL.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's beautiful. The Mat-124's are something I've never really looked at due to price. How much did that one set you back? Oh and the most important question does the meter still work?

What kind of strap is that? I need to find something simple for my TRL.

It cost me $350 at KEH, but it is in EX+ condition. They had one in EX for $325 and one in BGN for $200. I assume the meter still works but I haven't tried it as I use this:

The strap is just a padded Lowepro strap I picked up at the local camera store for $20.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

Back_From_Termina posted:

That's pretty hot. It's always a pleasant surprise to see older cameras in such nice shape.

Nice meter, too.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Well Im an idiot. I have been patching up the leather case for my Yashica 635 and taking the drat thing off to change film. I saw the strap on that 124 and immediately put a spare one I had lying around on it. Much better this way.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Is b/w Arista crappy film? That is what we used in my intro to Black and White photography class back in college.

It seems to be about the cheapest stuff out there but is it any good?

What is some other good, yet low cost b/w film (and where can I get it)? By the way, I am just using this film in my Holga and I plan on developing my own film in the near future.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Arista.EDU is currently Foma and Arista II is Agfa, and neither one is crappy film—but they're not the Ilford films Arista was, if you specifically liked the original. Buy a couple rolls of each and see if you like them.

Beyond Freestyle's house brand, you've got a ton of choices out there, with Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford being the biggies, and a bunch of smaller brands. Once you find something you like, it's sometimes cheaper to buy a whole box (usually 5 rolls) of it than singles.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I had nothing to lose and an afternoon/evening to kill:

As gentle as I was trying to be, one of the solder joints by the frame counter came undone, so I've got to take it to a shop and get it touched up before I finish the rebuild. These things are so fiendishly complex with a million tiny little moving parts, it's amazing they don't break just by looking at them the wrong way. I'm glad all I was going after was the shutter.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Look what came in the mail!

Just got a birthday present in the mail, a Kodak 616 folder from my Aunt's collection. Unfortunately it won't see any use as film for it is something of a rarity, but it sure is pretty!

And, of course, goodies from freestyle.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Look what came in the mail!

Just got a birthday present in the mail, a Kodak 616 folder from my Aunt's collection. Unfortunately it won't see any use as film for it is something of a rarity, but it sure is pretty!

That is awesome.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I left 5 bricks of 120 film in my car for one maybe two days when it was ~100F in Savannah, GA. How hosed am I?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

brad industry posted:

I left 5 bricks of 120 film in my car for one maybe two days when it was ~100F in Savannah, GA. How hosed am I?

Shoot one and find out?
You might be pretty hosed, though it matters more if they were in direct sunlight than the temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I just got back from the Sequoias this afternoon- I didn't have a chance to shoot any 35mm, but I shot 5 decent rolls of 120 and already have a couple keepers on my D80. Upon arriving home, I found the newest and by far the most complicated member that wanted to join my camera family, my 4x5 Century Graphic.

Also pictured, my beloved Pentax K1000 and well-travelled Yashica 124G.

EDIT: Looks like the image attachment barfed. Any resident mods that can remove the attached image?

Only registered members can see post attachments!