Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Krispy Kareem posted:

My hands smell like eggs now. :(

This combined with your avatar makes me laugh.

On topic though, does anyone know if it's still possible to find 120 Kodachrome? I've searched google with no real results (mostly it's people complaining about processing and such). Is my only hope to watch ebay and hope that the seller stored the film properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Dang. That's what I was afraid of.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

New toy that arrived yesterday:

I've put a roll of Velvia 50 and Portra 400 through it already but won't be able to see the results until tomorrow or maybe the day after. I'm very excited.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's beautiful. The Mat-124's are something I've never really looked at due to price. How much did that one set you back? Oh and the most important question does the meter still work?

What kind of strap is that? I need to find something simple for my TRL.

It cost me $350 at KEH, but it is in EX+ condition. They had one in EX for $325 and one in BGN for $200. I assume the meter still works but I haven't tried it as I use this:

The strap is just a padded Lowepro strap I picked up at the local camera store for $20.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Look what came in the mail!

Just got a birthday present in the mail, a Kodak 616 folder from my Aunt's collection. Unfortunately it won't see any use as film for it is something of a rarity, but it sure is pretty!

That is awesome.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

brad industry posted:

Anyone want to recommend a cheap place to get 120 developed in the Bay Area?

I get my 120 processed here, it's only a couple of miles from my house. $6.00 for slide, around $3.50 for negative without prints.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

I'm starting to process B&W at home, and I've got some questions maybe you guys could help me out with. I've done this before (back in 1997 in my highschool freshman photo class), but never since so my memory's a little rusty.

Back in the day we didn't reuse fixer, we just dumped it when we were done. If I'm going to reuse it, how do I know when it's gone bad? The clip test mentioned back on the first page tells you how long you need to compensate times for dying fixer, but not how to tell when it's actually dead.

When reusing fixer, are you dumping the used stuff back into the unused stuff, or into a separate "used" container? I assume you mix back into the unused fixer, but my Dad who had a fully functional personal darkroom back in the 70's-80's says that he kept two different containers.

How do you do a clip test for 120 film? It doesn't have that convenient little tab of film at the beginning.

How necessary is permawash? Back in my old photo class, we went straight from fixer to wash with no step in between. A lot of people say it's not needed, but then there's others who who swear it's the most important step of the process.

Various places on the internet say that I use the same volume of chemicals for a roll of 35mm 36-exposure roll as a 120 roll. How does this make sense? 120 is close to 70mm wide, so wouldn't you need twice the volume of chemicals to cover it as a 35mm roll? Shouldn't I be using the volume for 2 rolls of 35mm?

Many, many thanks if you could answer these questions for me.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

much appreciated answers

Thanks. My kit arrives tomorrow so we'll see how everything goes then!

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

MrMeowMeow posted:

I posted earlier in this thread asking whether the messed up prints I was getting were a result of my camera or the people at London Drugs. I got some more prints at a different place today and it definitely looks to me like I have a light leak:

How would I go about fixing this?

I asked one of my friends and she said I might have to buy a whole new camera. Say it ain't so! :smith:

Well it depends on where it is. My old Minolta had a light leak, and I was able to fix it by just gaff taping around the back after it was closed. It's a little annoying to do every time I load new film, but it works.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Anybody know where I can get a 6x6 mask for my Holga? Freestyle has them for 3.99 but they appear to have this BS $25 minimum order thing. B&H also has them for the same price, but they don't stock them and it's a 1-2 week waiting period to ship them.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Can't you just file out the 6 X 4.5 mask?

Yeah I thought of that, but I'm no good at working with tools and building/modifying things. I'd probably just screw it up, and then I'd have no mask. Plus I want to keep the 6x4.5 around in case I ever want to use it again.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

^^^Yeah, that's what I'll do if I have no other choice.

Since mine is an older model that only came with the 6x4.5 mask. The newer models come with both. The problem I have with the 6x4.5 is that if I'm holding the camera the "normal" way it's shooting in portrait format, and I prefer landscape. With the 6x6 I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 12, 2008

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

The mask only snaps in one way and turning the camera every time is a bit of a nuisance, but since I also prefer 6x6 I think that's the way to go.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

MrMeowMeow posted:

I was in here a while ago complaining about my camera possibly having a light leak. Turns out I'm just a dork and I was winding the film the wrong way once it was finished. :frogbon:
So whoever said it looked like sprocket agitation or whatever was dead-on.

I've decided that Velvia is super fantastic. I just got back my slides from the store yesterday and they're so sharp and the colors are amaaazing. It's so expensive though, especially when the price of scanning is added on. I don't know how anyone could afford to shoot velvia on a regular basis.

I shoot Velvia in 120 all the time. $6/roll at the local camera store for the film, and $6/roll for processing at the local lab. When I'm shooting 6x6 it's only about $1 per frame. Not all that expensive.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

That's weird. It looks like fog on the lens in the second one (like Luxmore said), but it looks more like a light leak in the first one since it isn't covering a majority of the picture. Don't know what to tell you.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

But screwing around with manual mode on a camera that has metering, why?

Because sometimes meters lie. Sunsets just for a quick example.

Edit for more explanation:
Sometimes you don't want to go by what the meter says, it will not give you the results you want. For example, the meter told me that 1/60 shutter speed I should have IIRC F2.8 for this picture. That was exposing for the the whole scene (the wall, etc). But to get this result I needed to stop down to F11 or so.

Full manual lets you make choices like this.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 27, 2008

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Re-read what I wrote. If you know that a meter will lie under a certain scenario, you can compensate just fine with exposure compensation in the 'auto' modes.

Yeah, but I think most cameras will only let you go +/- 5EV, what if you need more than that?

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Sure, go manual by all means. Nothing against it, but I fail to see the value of touting manual as "serious photography" when most of the time you're just manually doing what the camera was about to do for you. :) And honestly, I can't remember the last time I needed more than +/- 2EV compensation.

Oh I definitely see what you're saying, and you're right, 90% of the time I'm just spinning the dials until I get a proper meter exposure. For me it's just how I shoot. I come from the cinematography world where there is no auto-anything. Auto-focus, aperture priority, none of this stuff is heard of on a studio film camera. Full manual for me just seems more "streamlined" and I work more efficiently that way. There are rare times I use aperture or shutter priority, when I don't have time to fiddle with the controls, (sports, etc.) But most of my stuff is slow, take-your-time kind of material.
Anybody who touts full manual as more "serious photography" is a pretentious twat. How you shoot should be based on your needs and your own personal workflow.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

So I just got a load of old darkroom equipment from a garage sale (old chemicals, trays, paper, tanks, reels, etc.) and I've got a question. Most of the chemicals are bad, but there were a few goodies to be found. There was an unopened, yet expired, bottle of Ilford rapid fix (I'm planning to do a clip to see if it's still usable; 4 bottles of Photoflo 200 (who needs that much Photoflo?); and a bottle of Permawash. The question involves the Permawash. There's a small crack in the cap and it's been exposed to air for probably around 5 years. Will it still work? The directions on the side of the bottle say that the working solution oxidizes within 8 hours, but how long will the concentrate last? Internet research reveals claims it last will a very, very long time but no concrete numbers are given.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Sorry to keep coming back with problems, but I've got another one. For some reason I can't seem to get all of the fixer out of my negatives while washing anymore. Normally the Ilford method up to 30 inversions works fine, but the last 3 rolls I developed didn't work. I even went up to 80 inversions on all of them, and still my negatives are just a teensy bit purple. I don't think it's the fixer because I did a clip test and it's still clearing in a minute-and-a-half, so I don't know what the gently caress. Any ideas?

Edit: The only thing that's changed is since it's getting colder here my tap water temperature has gone down by about 3-4 degrees, could this be the reason? But even if it is, why wouldn't an additional 300 inversions make up for it?

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 1, 2008

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

I'm using Ilford rapid fix. It's reassuring to hear that lots of film stay purple, but the thing is I used to be able to get them completely clear, so now that they're not it makes me kind of nervous.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Snaily posted:

Haha, I've heard about these but never actually seen one. These are ridiculous and awesome at the same time. I want one!

EDIT: drat. It's around $2100 after the currency conversion. That auction has a lot of really neat older cameras.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 9, 2008

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

I came across this tutorial on how to use instant coffee to develop black-and-white film, so I gave it a shot and thought I'd share the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Luxmore posted:

Seriously, I decided to try this a while ago and I could not find "washing soda" anywhere. If anyone has soda-finding tips, let me know, because I'd love to give this a try.

I couldn't find washing soda crystals anywhere either, but it turns out that washing soda crystals are just sodium carbonate, a common ingredient in dish-washing detergent. So I just bought the most generic detergent I could find (to reduce the number of possible additional chemicals) and just used more than the recommended amount in the tutorial to compensate (1 additional scoop). Worked fine, although I think you have to overexpose even more than the tutorial's one-stop recommendation with this method. I shot 50iso and rated it at 25 like the tutorial said, but I also bracketed upward as well. The best exposures were 5 stops over. Dishwashing detergent evidently doesn't do as good a job of activating the developer as pure sodium carbonate would.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 12, 2008