Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tron-
Jun 8, 2007
I'm looking into picking up a large format field camera, perhaps something folding. I was curious about medium format, but since the photos I plan on taking will be primarily of the architectural nature, I'd like to have all those delicious adjustments of tilt, rise, fall, etc. Can anyone make any recommendations? Ken Rockwell likes the Tachihara, I'm a bit curious about finding a used Linhof because I loves me some fine German technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tron-
Jun 8, 2007
I just picked up an older SCSI Imacon scanner on ebay. I chose it over a Nikon 8000/9000 ED after deciding I didn't want to deal with wet scanning or newton rings or any of that kind of nonsense. I've used Imacon scanners before (there's a photo studio in town that rents darkrooms and scanning stations by the hour) and the magnetic film holders make things move *much* faster. It's a "virtual drum scanner" - the film carrier is bent as it moves past the CCD so there's no film flatness issues.

They pop up on ebay from time to time and there are models that do scan large format film. Mine came with a RATOC SCSI to Firewire adaptor and it works great. You have to use the older FlexColor scan software, which works fine. Scans at 30 MB/min and 120 film at a max resolution of 3200 dpi. I blew up a 6x6 slide to 30in x 30in and it looks great. That's my recommendation if you have a ~2k budget and don't ever want to deal with Nikon's horrible horrible tech support. I have a friend with a 9000ED and it's finicky and jams up all the time on him. He's sent it in a few times to Nikon and it's always come back with the same problem. He's given up and just deals with it.