Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Picked up a Canon A-1 w/ 50/1.8 and 135/2.8 to take to India with me. Pretty excited to have joined the film club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Spedman posted:

I feel a bit odd when I go back to a DSLR and automatically try and wind the film on with my thumb and find nothing. :v:
I can't stop myself from looking at the back of the camera body after taking a shot on film.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This guy should have a machine-off with nonentity's light saber's.

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8822&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9185&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Guy built his own SLR and working on a RF.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HolaMundo posted:

This one is awesome.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sadi posted:

Those turned out rather awesome actually. This one especially. Do I remember correctly that you accidentally shot color film with a red filter?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Oh ok, I guess that makes more sense.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I have an A-1 and it has everything I could want. Plus the ASA goes to 12800!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Sometimes the wait to get the images is a bit frustrating I admit, but I don't think I could ever go back to APS-C SLR's now.
I actually really like this about film. I have several roles that I haven't gotten around to developing and I'm looking forward to seeing what I shot. I have a vague idea but I don't remember most of them, plus who knows how awesome or horrible they'll end up.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You can, but the camera's ISO dial tops out at a measly ISO 800. If you get the meter recalibrated to read a stop fast the range will be 50-1600, with the option to get the low ISO's back with the +1.5EV backlight compensator switch if you want them.
I seem to remember you talking about this a while ago, but how does one go about recalibrating the meter?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There's a cinematography thread in CC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982 that might be more suited to your questions. This is basically a film (still) photography thread. There's also this relatively quiet thread on digital video in the dorkroom subforum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3294359. New digital SLRs are now video capable and are seem to be the next big thing and would allow you to film with only a camera body and a lens and not have to worry about all the film side of it.

The dSLRs which are video capable are (from wikipedia):
code:
Canon 	
High-end - 5D Mark II (2008) · 7D (2009) · 1D Mark IV (2009)
Mid-range - 500D (2009) · 550D (2010) · 60D (2010)

Nikon 	
High-end - D300S (2009) · D3S (2009)
Mid-range - D90 (2008) · D5000 (2009) · D7000 (2010)
Entry-level - D3100 (2010)

Pentax 	
High-end - K-7 (2009)  · K-5 (2010)
Mid-range - K-x (2009)  · K-r (2010)

Sony 	
Mid-range - a945; 580 (2010) · a945; 560 (2010)
Hope this helps a little.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sorry to change the subject, but is there anywhere else a guy can go to find an Olympus XA aside from ebay?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm more along the lines of impatient. I can't seem to get more than 2 weeks in the US so waiting around for deals on the 'bay are annoying and I don't want to buy it now for twice what it's worth if I don't have to. Just replied to a posting on CL though from last week. Fingers crossed!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
<--- Proud owner of a brand new used XA. I've never used a rangefinder before, poo poo it's kinda tough to see the little yellow patch in the center. Does it need to be cleaned or something or is it just old? Or do I need to man up and grow a pair?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

My XA is jammed. I ran my first roll through it yesterday just fine. Today, mid roll, I wound the shutter thing, and then there was no click when I pressed the shutter. I was surprised at how light the touch is on the XA, it takes barely any pressure to fire. I would the film back into the spool and left the leader out. I did the battery check and the beep stops when I press the shutter, the timer also goes off when I press the shutter. It just wont seem to release the cocking wheel. Any ideas? It's a really fun camera and I just want to use it more.
What'a up new XA buddy :hfive: I don't really have any insight unfortunately. So what you're saying is that the shutter is stuck? I agree the shutter button is really hair-trigger, but did you try really squishing it down and putting pressure on all corners individually if possible to try to get it to fire?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I stopped in Central Camera for the first time to try out some Ektar (they were sold out) and some of the new Porta 400 (also sold out). The guy who helped me was a bit of a creeper but nice enough when he realized I know at least a tiny bit about film. Anyway, they had a few Pentax Asahi 67's there, holy poo poo those are comically huge.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I recently found a bunch of Kodax MAX 400 and Agfa Vista 200 at my parents house. They're at least 10 years past expiration and were stored at room temp. Is it even worth shooting them?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ExecuDork posted:

What else are you gonna do with film? Just don't shoot anything super important, I bet you'll find some interesting colour or grain effects on film like that.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I just didn't know if anything would show up at all or if it'd just be some color shifting/hazing etc.

beeker posted:

I had a roll of Agfa Vista 200 that was likely about the same age when I shot it and was stored in the same conditions. This was how it came out in terms of colors: http://i.imgur.com/TNoGE.jpg

It wasn't horrible, everything just looked less vibrant and more pale.
Alright, cool. Thanks for posting an example.

Now I just need to find a place to develop and scan photos in Bangkok.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Picked up 2 rolls each of Provia 100F, Elitechrome 100, and Ektachrome E100VS. I'm excited to shoot my first ever slides.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Got some cheap film developed:

CNV000017 by spf3million, on Flickr

CNV000022 by spf3million, on Flickr

CNV000007 by spf3million, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Testing out the new Olympus Pen Half Frame camera and realized with horror after walking around half of L.A. and taking 70 photos that the film leader hadn't caught when I loaded it.
This is my greatest fear.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Do you guys think the free falling silver prices will affect b&w film anytime soon? Any idea how much the price of film is associated with silver do you think?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Fists Up posted:

Frozen Lake by Fists Up, on Flickr
This one is my favorite.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Can someone with a v500 and/or v700/750 take a picture of it next to something of reference so I can see how big they are in real life?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I saw some (a bunch of the GIS results are blocked in China for some retarded reason), I still couldn't really tell. I'd be leaving it at a friend's so I can scan my film when I'm stateside and I don't want to ask to leave a big honking plastic box there if they're really big.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

atomicthumbs posted:

I thought dynamic range wasn't "the number of tones" or the smoothness, but the difference between lightest and darkest possible light recorded by the film (for instance, something with higher dynamic range could record detail in bright clouds and darker landscape, whereas with a digital camera you need to tonemap or whatever).
Hm, that's what I always thought as well.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I thought HDR images didn't actually increase the dynamic range despite what the name implies. I thought they tricked the viewer into seeing additional perceived dynamic range by making some parts of the image darker or lighter than they actually were.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MrBlandAverage posted:

From the last page, but - my V500 with a New Yorker, a $5, and a Lenspen:

It's certainly not tiny, but it's a hell of a lot smaller than the HP Scanjet 5200c I had in high school.
Awesome, thank you!

Elite Taco posted:

1) If I go to B&H's site and order B&W film, I can assume that it's NOT C-41 unless it says so specifically, right? If so, I can develop that stuff at home. I guess I get a v5000 or whatever and go to town scanning them or something.
Correct.

Elite Taco posted:

2) If I send my film off to a place like this:
http://www.northcoastphoto.com/film_developing_scans.html
And they process and scan the negatives, I assume those files will be negative images, right? Can I use lightroom to reverse the colors?
They will likely reverse the colors for you and will probably do some sort of auto adjustment for exposure and possibly white balance. This usually results in bad grain in under exposed pictures as the software tries to increase the exposure to whatever the auto thinks is right. (Probably less of a issue with B&W film).

Elite Taco posted:

3) Buying film. I can check b&h, adorama, my local shop for good prices on color film. Is this the best way to go about buying more film? Also, can I buy large spools of B&W 35mm film somewhere and load my own canisters?
Online is almost certainly cheaper. Check freestylephoto.biz and Amazon as well. I've noticed that one site is not always cheaper than the others. It depends on the day and what film you want. You can buy a few types of film in bulk rolls and load it yourself, you will need a bulk loader for this. You'll also need canisters. If your camera uses the DX code on the canister (the silver and black pattern) to automatically set the ISO, you'll need to get the right canisters. You can also buy rolls in bulk to save some money and all of the hassle as long as you know what you want.

e: wow beaten twice

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Elite Taco posted:

35mm is as close to full frame as I'm likely to get for a while. Thanks again!
Technically, it is :)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just found a few old old rolls of 400 speed Signature Color film at my parent's house. I don't think it's c-41, it says you have to mail it to Austin, TX for processing. Is this worth shooting or is it like the Seattle Film Works movie film which is more trouble than it's worth?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The film scanner I ordered just came in now I can finally scan those 30-some odd rolls I had developed but didn't scan in an effort to save money. Half way through roll #1, holy poo poo this is going to take forever. I know this is asked every page or so, but is 2400 dpi overkill? Also, 48 bit color worth it?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ciro-Flex posted:

I've found that a can of compressed air is a godsend for clearing off dusty negatives. I used to use Pec Pads but even that didn't get all the dust off.

Works great for cleaning off vinyl records too... I'm so analog I think I should have been born 40 years ago.

Anyway, I just contacted the Ritz Camera in Chicago at 750 N Rush St. They develop C-41 35mm & 120 for ~$5 a roll, and they scan an uncut roll of 35mm for $5! And they have a 1hr turnaround time! :monocle:

This is the best deal in town, folks. Central Camera sends ALL their film out and the cheapest I've gotten there was $7.50 for develop only.

Ritz will do slide film, but they send that stuff out and it costs $13 for developing and mounting. I'll have to drop some 35mm off there to be scanned and I'll report back with how their quality is.

spf3million in medium format thread posted:

CSW Film Systems in Chicago does 120 in E6 or C41 for $4.10/roll. http://www.cswfilmsystems.com/. There's also Phoenix for $4.60/roll for 120 in E6, C41, and B&W. http://phoenixchicago.com/services/#film
Only marginally cheaper on 120, 35mm is better at Ritz. Scanning is wayy cheaper at Ritz too, wow.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hah yeah I couldn't find it at all. I also wrote down South Damen instead of North Damen so I was like... what, is it inside the United Center??

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I believe the Narita airport has a sign that says safe for less than or equal to 1600 ISO. As long as you're going to a developed country I don't think it will be a problem. It's when you go to a place like India where you will probably run into problems.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Here's two from Sanghai, can't decide which I like better.

Are the splotches from lovely development or is it lovely film?

spf3million fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 11, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm thinking that it's film defects because these two are neighbors on the end of the roll and the rest of the roll scanned pretty cleanly. Tough to see on the upload but the splotches are kind of off-colored too, sort of blue-ish.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I know this comes up all the time, but for cheap b&w, 100 & 400, is Arista Premium (Tri-x) worth the $0.60/roll premium over Legacy Pro?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Be prepared, it takes a lot longer to scan a roll than you'd expect.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

atomicthumbs posted:

sierra nevadas here I come
Where are you going?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

~~ mad science time ~~
Those look pretty awesome.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Try getting it as hot as possible.

e: http://www.novalynx.com/reference-rejoining.html
http://forums.homesciencelab.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=212

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Usually slide film is called E-6 film or slide film. I'm not a huge film buff but I've never heard it called color reversal film but a quick google confirms that people do call it this. Normal C-41 color is called color negative film, however, so don't get that mixed up.

The new Portra 400 seems to be sold out frequently whenever I try to buy it in brick and mortar stores. Online seems to be the way to go. Slide film definitely comes in 35mm format. I think all types of side film currently produced are available in 35mm. Yes you can process it as E-6. That's what it's designed for. If you want to be a cool hipster, you can develop them as C-41 as well.