Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD
Here's some hastily shot pics of my current collection. When I moved from Australia to Scotland about 6 months ago I came with a duffel bag containing about 4 shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, and 5 cameras ... (I've built on it some, since then)

1941 FED-NKVD CCCP, Type 1d

"MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN" Olympus Six

Polaroid One600 Classic

Early 20th Century Kodak 35mm

1 of 2 Holgas (120 and 35mm)

Coronet Captain

Nikon F40 w/ Tamron 28-200

Goldline Tele 110

Yashica-Mat

4 lens toy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

killabyte posted:

What do you think of the Olympus Six? Do you shoot with it much?

I love it, it was a gift/loan from my girlfriends grandfather. I've only had a chance to run a few rolls of film through it - but when I finally spring for an Epson 4490 or something of the sort (in the next week or so) I'll scan up some of the negs so we can both see just what sort of shots I'm getting out of it. So far the initial impressions are really good though, it has a really nice feel to shooting with it, second only to my Leica-clone FED.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How are the Russian FED rangefinders?

I've got a FED NKVD CCCP Type 1D. I've only put a few rolls of film through it so far - but I absolutely love it, the quality of the camera is really very good. I'd recommend looking through the catalog on http://www.fedka.com/catalog/ and having a look at all the variants, it's going to be up to you just which model you want depending on features etc.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Snaily posted:

The best film camera dealer in Sweden is holding their seasonal auction soon, and just put up their auction list. It is in Swedish with certain comments in English, but I trust you people are mostly in it for the images. Notable objects:

Two golden Nikons (#341 and #344)
The Fotosniper FS-2 KMZ (#416) pictured above.
A plethora of Leicas and Hasselblads.

(The listed sums are in SEK, and starting prices. 10SEK ~ 7-8USD. Not affiliated in any way.)

I hate you so much, there's so much there that I want - and none of it that I can afford :/

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Problem with the Yashicas (and the lens isn't big enough to be a 14) is that the rangefinder beam splitter tends to turn to crap and you have a very dim or non-existent rangefinder patch on some cameras. I have an otherwise mint Lynx-14 that's practically unusable because of this. :(

I have a Yashica Minister D 700 (Minister D with the 45mm f1.7) - would've loved a Lynx-14 for that sweet massive f1.4 lens - but this was going for a steal. The main problem with the rangefinder for me is that it was obviously dropped once or twice in its life and the vertical alignment is a little out. Other than that it's in brilliant condition - though I'll find out how well everything works when I get my first roll of film I put through it back from the developers. But I guess there's no way to adjust the rangefinder patch short of taking it completely apart is there?

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

johnasavoia posted:

But you could go in an entirely different direction than this, I despise the cult of lomography, but you can still use those cameras to great results, provided you dont just do what you described.

Pretty much this. There has been some discussion in #creatives about starting https://www.fucklomography.com. The first link would be to eBay where you can buy every single camera that's on the lomography site for about 1/10th the price, the rest of the site would be devoted to how to take good photos with these cameras.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD
Smile! Polaroid is saved

quote:

For a generation, the Polaroid camera gave near-instant pleasure to millions of users around the world, chronicling everything from births and weddings to the downright explicit. But when digital photography came along in the 1990s – with instant images and the ability to edit and delete pictures before they see the light of day – Polaroid was doomed, its iconic white-framed snaps apparently defunct.

When Polaroid announced last February that it would stop production of its instant film, it seemed the much-loved camera was gone forever. But within weeks, a group of users had started a global campaign for the format to return. And now, thanks to an unlikely saviour, their pleas have been heard.

If all goes to plan, the Polaroid factory in Enschede, Amsterdam, will soon be making film again thanks to its new owner, an eccentric Austrian artist and businessman named Florian Kaps. Mr Kaps, 39, has dedicated the past five years to instant photography. He set up Polanoid.net, the biggest Polaroid gallery on the web, and the first ever Polaroid-only art gallery in Vienna, called Polanoir.

Now he plans to save the film. "The project is more than a business plan; it's a fight against the idea that everything has to die when it doesn't create turnover," said Mr Kaps.

Dubbed "The Impossible Project", the development of new film for Polaroid cameras launches today. Working with the Manchester-based black and white photography company Ilford, the machinery is in place to produce film of two exposure types, each compatible with both the classic SX-70 cameras popular with artists and the more modern 600 series.

Work has begun on a prototype. By hiring 11 of the original Polaroid team from the factory floor, Mr Kaps aims to mass produce both colour and black and white film under the Impossible label by December, coinciding with the projected date that existing stocks will run out.

This is brilliant news.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Reichstag posted:

If you can find one in working condition, a 120 folder will definitely fit the bill in terms of portability.

Olympus Six (or chrome six, or any of the variations they had) is a pretty good choice, the upmarket ones came with a 75/2.8 - and I absolutely love mine. They should be easy enough to find - as there was a bunch of them made, and you can grab them from anywhere from £50-£200 or so it seems.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

hybr1d posted:

It's in there... somewhere... :) I think most people are using flatbeds, specifically the Epson 4990 and V500, but I have a 4490 that's ok, and sometimes wish for a V500 or V700. I don't think anyone here has a film scanner, but maybe brad industry does.

I am pretty drat jealous of this setup -

(yep that's a drum scanner)

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Rednik posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations about an affordable 35mm rangefinder I could buy to use for the trip? I feel as though a rangefinder might be easier to carry around without attracting too much attention. I dug up a Yashica Lynx 14 in my closet but it appears to be busted :(.

How about buy any number of Russian rangefinders while you're over there? FED's, Zorki's, Kiev's ...

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

evil_bunnY posted:

Leica-mount Nikons :)

Pretty sure he said 'affordable' there ...

Also, he could try reading through the thread - this question has come up about 5 or 6 times in the past 30 pages.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Rednik posted:

Can the Russian rangefinders stack up to Japanese and European alternatives?

Not exactly, but they're quite a bit cheaper (okay, this is a lie - my Yashica Minister 700 was 1/4 the price of my FED 1f NKVD, but that's not the general rule). However you can find some really great quality Russian rangefinders from places such as http://www.fedka.com/catalog/ . It really comes down to what you're looking for. Compactness, interchangeable lenses, affordability, fully-coupled viewfinders, metering, etc.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I know some Ukrainian eBay sellers actually specialize in taking brand new Russian medium format gear and overhauling it/subjecting it to actual quality control standards. They charge a premium for this of course, but it's not outrageous.

Got a link to these sellers? I'm pretty interested.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hartblei does (you can order from their website), there's also a seller in NY on eBay that sells Hartblei's refurbs in the States.

Thanks for this, been looking for some proper Russian MF equipment for a while now.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

w_hat posted:

I have one of those and loved it, until it killed the $9 battery in a week :( I haven't touched it since.

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/battery.html

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What brand? I used to shoot Lucky 100 on my TLR when I was in China. It was less than a dollar a roll :3: They used to make an ASA 400 B&W film, but I think they phased it out.

Lucky actually make surprisingly good film, it did help that Kodak gave them a bunch of money and expertise back in 2003 though.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD
I think I need to get a picture of my collection actually - I'm running above 20 film cameras alone now ... thank god that so many people don't think they have any monetary value these days, you can get some really nice cameras for great prices.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Twenties Superstar posted:

I bought my first ever camera today (bigger is better right?) and a roll of Kodak film. I haven't figured out where to plug the film in yet (like a little slot for a tube or something??) but for now it's an awful lot of fun looking through the little TV in the back.

Trolling the film thread really is low :(

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

Twenties Superstar posted:

There is a fine line between trolling and a joke. :)

I bought that camera though and in place of an actual darkroom for loading the film holder I used a blanket and a furnace room hopefully I didn't just waste $30 on film by not being careful. That is a secret tip for the photography elite.

Oh you actually own the camera? Well that's awesome then. I wish I could afford LF :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

pseudonordic posted:

You can find deals out there from time to time. I got essentially the same camera he has (Calumet 4x5) on ebay for $80. All it needed was film holder(s), a lens, and a lens board. Ended up reselling it locally for $80 because I didn't have time to get into it.

So have hope!

I wish, I've been looking for years now - and while I've accumulated a mass (almost 30 I think now) of old 35mm and MF cameras I've yet to come across a 4x5 for a nice price.