Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know where these circular light leaks could be coming from? I know the spots around the edges are probably coming from around the door because the seals are shot. I took the shot on a Pentax ME Super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
It could be a reflection. Although I have another shot with the light source on the other side of the frame and the arcs are still in the same spots. Could it be leaking through the hinge side and messing up exposed shots on the spool? Most of the pictures I have with the arcs I took in one late afternoon at burning man. I shot and advanced the shutter quickly but the roll may have sat in the camera for a day or so before I rewound it.

And a shot that I really like just to share for fun

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

ansel autisms posted:

Scan em yourself dingus

I'd like to but I don't want to shell out the cash for a scanner.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was some self developing and scanning chat a few pages ago and Im ready to take the plunge. Does anyone have a preferred place for chemicals and supplies that they recommend? I need everything for developing C-41 and E-6.... tank, thermometer, changing bag etc. Does anyone sell a kit? I was looking on Amazon and B&H.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess I'll go the Amazon route for the hardware then. Im really surprised about how few prime options they have for developing chemicals. I can't find anything for E6 and B&H does not accept online orders for a lot of chemicals. Either the chemicals are tough to ship or this is really more a niche thing than I thought. I'll probably hit up the B&H store in NYC next weekend.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bookmarking that. I'm not normally so lucky, I life a couple hours north but it just so happens I'll be in the city next weekend. The scanner is ordered... Im sure I'll be posting some scans soon.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bro I'm a nooblet too, this is my first roll of slide film and I'll be happy if I get two decent frames off the whole thing. You gotta start somewhere!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just got my V550 up and running. Any tips for color correction? Ignore the dust and scratches, this negative has seen some poo poo and was shot on an old Kodak Retina IIa.

Edit* I just saw the color correction advice above is pretty much what I did.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 13, 2019

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you sure your meter is correct and your shots aren't underexposed? B/W film has a lot of latitude for over/underexposure while still looking ok. 400iso is a good all around daytime film speed.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Asking as a newbie: Why not use blank substrate as your blackpoint?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

Basic newbie questions:

I shot a roll of Ultramax 400 and the sky is white in every picture, and even pictures without sky in them look overexposed. My question is how to avoid that next time? I shot using aperture priority and I thought that having a lot of light was a good thing (lol). They were mostly taken with a small aperture, f/11 to f/16. The best pictures ended up being the ones shot at night because of this :(

Second: Bit of a story here. I rode a bicycle down a hill with my camera in the front basket (stupid, I know) and I stopped very quickly after realising that this was very likely to damage my camera. When I stopped and checked it the light meter no longer worked. A few days later I checked it and the light meter worked again, but a few days after that it again didn't work and still doesn't. It's possible it just needs a new battery, but if not -

I've got a roll of Tri-X that I am interested in shooting at 1600. If the light meter is gone, what are some tips for shooting it manually? I basically understand the exposure triangle theoretically but I don't have a lot of practice

Are you use the ISO setting on your camera was correct? If you had it set to something like 100iso you'll be perpetually overexposing your shots. Its also possible your light meter or shutter speeds are out of calibration on your camera (this can be cause by a weak battery as well so maybe the battery is hosed).

If your light meter 100% quits you can use a light meter app on your smartphone. Ive used apps a few times and found them to always be right on.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

How much did it cost to have your super serviced? Mine could use it. The up and down manual shutter speed buttons are on their way out (up has already left).

If the other poster does not want your camera I will jump on it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've shot maybe 25 rolls in the last year, with 5 or so being E6. I thought I had it all figured out because my last bunch of C41 rolls were correctly exposed so I shot 4 rolls E6 at burning man thinking I'd get sick shots.

There were some nice pics but drat did I have a lot of screwed up frames because of lighting. I love my ME super but I may just get a fully manual camera and a light meter.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dudeabides posted:

Pentax ME Super
SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.7
Developed at home (not sure I'm reading this one right, I haven't had my coffee yet)
Ilfosol 3 9:1 solution
About 10 seconds every minute
I pushed the film 1 stop and pushed development one stop so the time was 13:30
It's showing up on my negatives

I also have an ME Super and had funny flares like that before I changed the seals on the film door. All I did was stuff some black wool yarn in the crevices and all of my rolls have been good since.

I still have an odd dark band across the top of the frame once in a while but I think that's a problem with the shutter or light meter.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any ideas on how much prices will increase? Bracing for a 50% hike.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I picked up a Pentax ME Super SE

If you find your meter is hosed and you really like the camera I can vouch for this guy for repairs: https://pentaxs.com/ I sent 2 bodies to him, one with broken buttons and the other a stuck shutter. They came back working great just a couple weeks later for $300. Not a bad price to pay for 2 cameras that I can depend on now.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I generally just shoot rolls and rolls of crappy pictures and hope two or three are nice.

For real though, I find as long as the camera is working well you can trust it. You might have to spend some time getting used to different film stocks. For example slide film is a lot more sensitive than negative film and you'll develop an eye for when scenes are too contrasty and when you should meter for mods/shadows/highlights.

That said I've never even attempted to keep a log of my shots and I've probably paid for it.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 9, 2023

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

my Pentax ME Super ]

That camera looks like it's in really nice shape!

lollybo posted:

Shot on Olympus SP, on Fuji 400 film.

I like that foggy old house shot a lot. Are you somewhere down south?

I bought some of the cheap Fuji stuff from Walmart once time years ago and was pleasantly surprised with how good it was.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've never used an auto winder but I'd assume it'd always wind the roll back into the canister. It'd be super confusing to wind it back the way an unused canister looks.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ohtori Akio posted:

Bought an old-style K1000 off a guy with a couple small lenses, cheap flash, and accessories, then he gave me a thirty minute rundown on how to use the thing. Picked up some standard film on the way home. About a week ago I thought I wanted an instant but I guess I'm gonna learn to use a 35mm. Taking recommendations on what film to put in it once I've wasted a few rolls learning to shoot.

Portra 800 is probably my favorite all-around film since it looks nice and is flexible to a lot of different conditions. I'd start with that until you get some shots you like.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
C41 development is pretty easy IMO. It might take a try or two to feel comfortable with it since it's pretty much a half hour race against the clock to pour, agitate, rinse etc but it's not bad if you use a timer app and a thermometer.

Scanning is a different beast IMO and sucks pretty bad. I'll go ahead and hate on my v500 flatbed because it's slow as poo poo and even after everything is scanned you still need to color correct and remove dust etc. I just let the lab do it and if there's ever a time that I don't like the lab's scan I can pop it in the scanner myself.

Edit: I guess maybe you don't have to scan all of your negatives in at once and only choose the shots you think are OK, but Ive always tried to do them all.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone played with super old stuff and/or repaired a camera with bellows? Worth it? Fun? I was given these old cameras by my grandfather years ago. I'm interested in trying out the one on the right. It's a Kodak vest pocket camera which apparently was a really popular model with soldiers in WWI. The same grandfather mentioned we had a relative fight in the war... It wasn't until getting into shooting it that I figured out that the serial number on this dates to the early 1920, but it looks like there are a couple small holes in the bellows.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

I'd be more curious about whether the shutter actually fires and if the timing is correct on it at all. The focusing can also be a seized nightmare and can make your bellows dry rot issues worse as you try to articulate it.

drat I didn't think about the shutter speed potentially being messed up. The shutter on my current Kodak vest pocket only works on 1/25th but I bought a second on eBay that is supposed to work nicely. Im hoping I can get one good unit from the two. They also still sell film for the smaller camera, althoug its expensive at like $15 for 5 exposures or something.

Megabound posted:

Yes in fact I did an entire blog post on it and it's fun but time consuming

https://cohost.org/CalmBrain/post/830004-making-a-bellows-for

But you could also just make a paper bellows and that would work just as well for your purposes.

https://youtu.be/FhVlJGSK92s?si=RCWugMGizbPv1Zrj

This is great! I'd like to make replacement bellows at some point if mine are all hosed.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish I'd gotten such a good one for my first roll! Nice work

lollybo posted:

My favorite shots from a Pentax ME super and the SMC 50mm 1.7 lens from a trip to California way back, shot on Ektar 100, developed and scanned by NCPS

Is NCPS a mail-in place? I've been using The Darkroom for years but I've been thinking of trying other spots out. And the pics from my Pacific Coast Highway trip with my ME Super were victims to a wonky film speed dial. Everything was really underexposed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's funny I was just looking at Memphis Film Labs and was thinking of giving them a shot. I normally get the upgraded scans at the darkroom which I'm normally satisfied with except for pics that are a little under-exposed. Underexposed pics look sharpened to hell and I think Id be able to do a better job salvaging so-so shots that what they give me back.