Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

I'm interested in exploring black and while film photography more seriously, but am a little overwhelmed by the variety of stocks available. Could somebody overview a few of the popular stocks? What is a versatile starting point for a beginner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

MrMeowMeow posted:

Just a quick question, I want to take my camera with me when I drive across the Canadian/American border tomorrow. I know that at airports, x-rays can mess up film, but do I have to worry about anything being x-rayed tomorrow or should it be smooth sailing?
Nothing is going to get x-rayed at a border crossing. They might search your stuff if you act suspicious, but it's not likely.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Does anyone know where to buy Kodachrome at this point? B&H and Adorama seem to be out of stock.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Sadi posted:

Ok, so my dumb rear end miss loaded my RZ67 on a camping trip and the film was put in with the emulsion facing the wrong way. It was 220 so theres not paper that got in the way. What should I expect from developing? (it was color btw) Also I feel pretty loving stupid right now, that film + developing isnt cheap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redscale. It will probably be underexposed though.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Cannister posted:

Along with the Bronica I'm asking for for xmas I put together a list of different kinds of film to try out, and a bunch of stuff to start developing B&W's.
Here's what I have so far for film:

B&W:
Kodak Tri-X 400
ilford delta 3200
ilford delta 400

Color:
Kodak Portra 160NC
Kodak Portra 160VC
Kodak Portra 400NC
Kodak Portra 800NC
Kodak Ektar 100
Kodak Ektachrome E100G

Some of the shots that have really caught my eye in a few flickr film groups are shot on Portra NC, so Ifigured I'd get a few different rolls of that, the rest is a guess. Is there anything else that'd be fun for me to mess with that's missing? Or too much redundancy?
I don't mean to be a naysayer, but I'm not sure this is the best approach to take if you're just starting out doing BW development. The "look" of a single film stock can vary greatly due to changes in exposure and the development process, and many of the differences between stocks are going to be lost on you. Picking a single film stock and sticking to it for a while is probably more instructive than shooting on a bunch of random ones.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks for the replies - I'll be saving for a good scanner.

Start of roll by Execudork, on Flickr
Another dumb question: My last several rolls of 35mm have come back with pictures like this in the first position. This is caused by not rolling enough of the start of the roll around the take-up spool before closing the back and advancing to Frame 1, right?
Sort of. The problem is that any film pulled out of the cassette before the camera back is closed is going to be exposed to light and unusable. You're right that more film needs to be wound around the take-up spool, but the way to do it is by closing the camera back and taking an extra throw-away shot.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Do you guys prefer the metal or plastic reloadable cartridges?

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Have you checked the seals around the back of the camera? Those streaks might be light shining through the sprocket holes.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Well, if it was a light leak, it might only appear on frames which sat behind the shutter for a long time, when the camera was in high ambient light.

I've also seen streaks like that on B&W film from improper development. Did you have someplace reliable develop the film?

I.G. fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

edit- I'm guessing you already know about this guy, but if not, check these out.
Michael Wesely:

And a writeup about his process: http://www.itchyi.co.uk/thelatest/2010/7/20/the-longest-photographic-exposures-in-history.html?ref=nf
These are really cool. How does he calculate the correct exposure? It seems like you'd have extreme reciprocity failure. The article isn't very specific.

I.G. fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 26, 2011