Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
So got my first roll of portra back and it is like the most beautiful poo poo ever.

0380944-R1-059-28.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

0380944-R1-029-13.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

0380944-R1-017-7.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

However, I can't help but feel like the high res scans I got back are less sharp than the low res ones. The scanner they used was a Fuji glacier sp 2000 if anyone is familiar with that model. I got both the high res and low res scans on the same CD.

low res
0380944-R1-027-12.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

hi res0380944-R2-027-12.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

Pay attention to the grass detail, viewing both at full screen. It seems like the lower res scan has much more detail and overall looks less blurry. I wonder if they scanned it twice and botched the scan focus on the high res one?

lollybo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Been shooting a lot of film recently.

23740034 by kgao1989, on Flickr

4772000_4772000-R1-042-19A by kgao1989, on Flickr

23740013 by kgao1989, on Flickr

How long do you think small-format film is going to last? For me I think the biggest advantages of film are the smoother highlight transitions, and the ability to shoot full frame without paying a hideously expensive amount for a DSLR with full frame capabilities. I feel like the dynamic range of film and non-linear response to light are nice, but that advantage is going away as DSLRs get better.

I love the all-metal, solid and compact construction of a well-built 35mm camera. To me the excessive buttons and techno-crap on plastic fantastic DSLRs don't even come close to the joy I get from the all-metal precision of a leica or even consumer grade 35mm camera. But it does make me very sad to see the amount of film labs dwindling. Of course medium and large format film will not go away in the near future, but what will happen to our beloved 35mm cameras?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
First 6 shot on Yashica Electro GSN. I like the lens but I don't love the lack of control for exposure. Mine also seems to underexpose in all dark scenes for some reason.

Last 2 on Zorki 4k with industar 61 lens. I am impressed by how sharp this old and cheap lens is. I heard the quality control is variable, I must have received a good one. Also my first time shooting with just the sunny 16 rule.

[

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Shot on Olympus SP, on Fuji 400 film.

I know it's not technically Superia, but I like how neutral it renders the colors. Had them developed and scanned at my local lab, they have a Noritsu scanner. My local lab seems to have a magenta tint, which I find pleasing, it can be corrected in post if I cared enough.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

a dingus posted:

I like that foggy old house shot a lot. Are you somewhere down south?

I bought some of the cheap Fuji stuff from Walmart once time years ago and was pleasantly surprised with how good it was.

Yes I was in Brevard, North Carolina. Had to turn the car around to find somewhere to park, but I think the result was worth it.

Yeah I think it's a decent film- not as much character as some other films, but nothing distinctively bad about it.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite shots from a Pentax ME super and the SMC 50mm 1.7 lens from a trip to California way back, shot on Ektar 100, developed and scanned by NCPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

a dingus posted:

Is NCPS a mail-in place? I've been using The Darkroom for years but I've been thinking of trying other spots out. And the pics from my Pacific Coast Highway trip with my ME Super were victims to a wonky film speed dial. Everything was really underexposed :(

I saw a few people complain about the scan quality from The Darkroom. I really like their articles and videos I find them entertaining, but I haven’t used them myself so can’t say about their quality. NCPS is a mail in place, I have also used Dwayne’s as well as Richard photo lab and they are all pretty good.

The next place I want to try is Memphis Film Lab- they individually adjust each scan, offer discounts for bulk as well, and the prices seem low compared to other lab. However I heard the turnaround times are usually slower than other labs. It seems to be a popular choice on other forums.