Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Okay, dorkroom, I have a question for you guys. I'm going to a fair tonight and I want to do some available light pictures. I'm bringing my Retina IIa and my Zorki 4, and I was thinking of loading the Retina with some ISO 100 and the Zorki ISO 400, both color. My problem: I have no idea what aperture and shutter settings to use.

The calculator posted earlier in the thread (http://www.calculator.org/calculate-online/photography/exposure.aspx) is recommending f/8 for 1s with ISO 100 film for "Brightly lit domestic interiors at night, computer screens, fairgrounds, and amusement parks", but that seems suspect to me. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
So I've been getting into film lately. I started catching the bug a few years ago after I got a Diana F+ from Urban Outfitters (yes, I know better now and at least I got it a little cheaper than what they're asking now). I've moved onto to a couple 35mm rangefinders (Zorki-4 and Kodak Retina IIa) and love them both. I was just given a Nikon N2000, which is the first SLR I've ever used. It's okay. I hate the shutter/film advance deal and not being able to shoot without batteries.

Yesterday, though, I took out a Kodak Duaflex IV TLR for my attempt at some street stuff. Just tried to develop my own film for the first time tonight and completely hosed it. I did Diafine but didn't get nearly all the A solution out, but I didn't realize it until I went to pour the B in. Then I tried to pour all the B out knowing it wasn't coming out well (and of course, B is the *don't agitate!* solution). Still didn't get all of it out and didn't know how bad it was until I poured the fixer in... just terrible. One photo came out, the rest didn't. I had to share that with you Dorkroom. :smith:

I also have a question! There's a guy on CL saying he's got a Voigtlander Prominent with dynaron 1:4.5/100 and ultron 1:2/50 lenses and a working light meter for $500, but says in the listing to make an offer. This isn't somewhere where a lot of camera stuff moves well, so I'm thinking it might be possible to pick it up for a little less even. Is it worth it? I can't afford to spend that much on it for myself, but would any dorkroomers be interested in having me pick it up for them?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Reichstag posted:

Contaminating B with A isn't that bad, it's expected that some contamination will occur, as you aren't even supposed to rinse between stages, it's getting B into your A that will ruin it. Also, I've never heard of B being 'do not agitate,' and have always done the exact same agitation throughout my process (dev/wash/fix/dev).

Yeah I'm not too worried about contaminating the B with the A. The problem is that maybe a third of the B that should have gone in actually went in - that's how full it still was. As for the "do not agitate" part, I don't know, I got that off a tutorial somebody put together on RFF.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Is the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai worth the price difference with the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i SE for the better(?) version of silverfast?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
A quick Google makes it seem like it's probably in a canister: https://www.shutterjunkies.org/blog/2021/5/4/how-to-get-the-film-out-of-a-disposable-camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
??? The 8200 is good and way way less hassle than dslr scanning