Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I shot a few rolls of 10 year old nph400 at 100-150 and it still had an enormous blue or red cast. Lots of color work needed to make it work.

Once tweaked it was still not as neutral or clean as clean as brand new superia 400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Developing b&w at home sounds a lot more intimidating than it actually is.

Just stick to a single type of film and a single type of developer. Don't go nuts with the developers.

The massive dev chart is your best friend, and I also like an app called develop! that times all of your stuff and also lets you make your own recipes.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You could always ship chemicals in powder form

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

How are you scanning? What software are you using? What are your settings?

I'm assuming you are using an epson flatbed like 100% of people here, so either use epson scan or silverfast, and scan it as a positive, with all corrections and dust removal off. You can do that step later.
Make sure you are using 48 bit color (16 bit per channel).

What you will get is something that looks exactly like a negative.

Try working from there.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

How to go from a scanned positive to a negative:
1) in photoshop, press cmd i
2)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 8.30.39 PM by Ryan Chan, on Flickr

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Having some issues with developing/scanning/???

Some of my negatives have these lines right through them; they are a consistant pattern, along the length of the film. Not always though, and they're not always on adjacent frames.

Sometimes they are light, sometimes they are dark.

They have showed up on two separate rolls of film, one fp4 125 and one tri-x400.

Hasselblad 500cm, shooting that fp4 and tri-x.
Both of these are developed in D76 1:1, fixed with (very old) ilford rapidfix (which has since been replaced).

both of these are from the roll of fp4.

and neither can be seen on the negative even with light and magnification. On the FP4 roll, it shows up on 3 frames that aren't sequential.
On the roll of Tri-X, I can see it without light or magnification. But it only appears on two frames, both in the middle of that roll.

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 21, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The latter, also they like to talk about souping their film and they also sell things on forums and then remove the price after it's sold.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

It's a real good deal, if everything works.

500cm bodies are about 500 each alone. 220 backs are cheap because nobody makes 220 film anymore, but 120 backs are still closer to $150.

basically you could buy that, separate it into two full setups, and sell one to pay for the other.

you'll definitely need a handheld lightmeter as well.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Lemme know if you want to sell the 150mm or one of the a12 120 backs :)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Shoot slide

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

natura is approximately a thousand times better.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

underage at the vape shop posted:

So in June theres going to be a camera fair in Brisbane, with loads of poo poo for sale. I figure it's a pretty good opportunity to get a cool 35mm camera, maybe a medium format, and make some money. I think I should probably start tracking prices now to have a good idea on the day, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I figure, anything leica and anything medium format (particularly mamiya and pentax going by the thread) would be pretty easy to sell, but what else is desirable? Is this a really bad idea? I've been looking at ebay and gumtree (kinda like our craigslist) and theres often not much there I recognise, except dudes trying to sell contax g1s for 1600 and ae1s for $800

E: I realise I probably won't make much money but I honestly enjoy it. It offsets the cost of my current gear + anything I buy to keep too.

nobody is buying leica r and leica cl's
nobody is buying mamiya 645 either

you won't find any real good deals, but if you're into big cheap piles of broken things or boxes full of cloudy uv filters then you're set.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

It'll flatten out a bit after it is a bit dryer, but it's best to weigh it down inside a heavy book for a few days first.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

To get the film out of the slot, get another piece of film, put a small piece of double sided tape on it, jam it into the slot, and rewind the film until it catches. Then pull it out.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Have you considered other dev Chems for b&w, there are tons to choose from outside the regular rodinal, d76, and hc110

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I never considered that. FP4 to me seems kind of like smoother HP5. If it pushes as well, I guess it could be worth a shot?

(In fact, it was the flat but grainy look of some HP5 I shot on an overcast day that got me wondering about alternatives. I wonder if FP4 + 2 would have given smoother grain and more contrast in that situation..)

In other news, it's nice having a relatively compact and portable 6x7 camera.

FP4+2 is not that smooth. It has a lot more contrast though:

huevos by Ryan Chan, on Flickr
cauliflower by Ryan Chan, on Flickr

these two are FP4 at 500, I can't remember if it's D76 1:1 or Rodinal 1:24 that I used.

And FP4 at 125 (box), D76 1:1
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 8.36.16 PM by Ryan Chan, on Flickr

A fair amount of contrast added on that one.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 21, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

look on the bright side, you could have spent $600 on a contax t2 and then have it broken down and been unable to get any repairs for it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The big thing is that the v800 can scan 4x5. With the 600 you have to stitch.
And the film holders hold a lot more.
Iirc the v800 comes with silverfast which is the best scanning software ever made.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

yes, that's the dmax for you.

V800 dmax is 4, and the v550/600 claims 3.4.

Optical quality on the V800 is better as well, and has a higher actual DPI.

Basically the only reason to buy the v550/600 over the v800 is money.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

:smug: i get mine in a psd :smug:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Leicas are cool but the most solid feeling camera is not a Leica.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Get a piece of film, put a piece of double sided tape on it, jam it in, turn the film winding thing and then pull hard.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I saw a seller whose grades are

New in box 100%
Like new in box 95%
Mint+ 90%
Mint 85%
Mint- 80%
EXC+++ 75%
EXC++ 70%
EXC+ 65%
EXC 60%
AS-IS 50%

motherfucker, "EXC" is not 60%. 60% is barely a C.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Since then there's also buyfilm.ca. Dunno how they are but they sell film in Canada.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Don’t worry my 24 2.8 has a huge blotch in the middle of the image that looks like you smudged the film. Every single frame.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Can’t help you on the first question (but I’m sure there are tons of east coast places which charge a similar price)

As for the second, it’s best to scan as a positive and adjust it in post. You learn to sort through things really fast.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

because it's good + cool

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

8th-snype posted:

Too bad Tmax is trash.

F t f y

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

when you buy your tank, make sure you buy at least the 3x35mm tank. Otherwise, when you get into 120 film, you can only do 1 roll at a time.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I love slide film more than the average person but when it comes down to it portra is the most advanced color film ever devised

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

sup film thread

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Also the focus point of the scanner isn't necessarily there. If you have a holder then you've still got a lot of work tweaking and tuning the exact height before it is spot on.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Let
Me
Tell
You
About
My
New
Scanner

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Dudeabides posted:

Please. Do.

Also:

Anyone ever dabble with Lubitels or other cheap soviet medium format cameras? Pros? Cons?

i bought a bomb rear end nikon coolscan 8000. the scan quality is unbelievable. the dynamic range and sharpness is next level.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

What did you pay for it? They go for $1500+ here. Which is quite a lot for a 15 year old piece of technology that might break any day.
I've never managed to get quality i was happy with from 135 film and a reasonably priced scanner. I've used Epson flatbeds with a better scanner ANR glass holder and that Primefilm/Pacific image 7200/3600 dpi dedicated scanner both with vuescan and native software but it was all meh at best.
Coolscan is probably the way to go but a shame they are not exactly cheap or plentiful.

i did not pay anywhere near $1500 but that's a lot more luck.

It's exceptionally complicated and difficult. It only takes firewire, and official support is only up to osx 10.1.
the alternatives to nikonscan are vuescan (painful interface), and silverfast (499€)
the film holders are just as expensive.
the scans take a looong time as well.

The quality is also insane. absolutely smokes the epson that I had before.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Have you looked at the negs with a loupe

When you load the film do you hold the nearly full roll while you advance the take up?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

welcome to the coolscan club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

it's a big ugly plastic camera that doesn't look good as an accessory.

nobody buys it so nobody else buys it so the cycle continues.