Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’m thinking about hopping onto the instant film bandwagon, and I’m wondering about the relative merits of going Polaroid vs Instax. I’ve heard pros and cons for both and I’m now overthinking what should just be a cheap(ish) whim.

My initial thought was grab a cheap Polaroid something off of eBay, but then that turned into the portability and $100 (and a prayer) on a SX-70, but I worry about lighting so I guess also a flash? An instax mini would be cheap but I don’t like the photo size. Yet there’s the wide and the lomo cameras and *head explode*

Obviously the real answer is drop $30 on an Autofocus 660 and see where it goes. But anyone have fun guidance to help further muddle my mind with?

Edit: $100 is about my max, but I’d probably pay extra to get the mint flash for an SX-70. So an SLR 680 is unfortunately out.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

GreaseGunner posted:

I say go for the Autofocus/Sun 660. Apart from my Spectra Procam (don't get a Spectra) it's probably the Polaroid I shoot the most. It'll be a high quality affordable intro into Polaroid so you can find out if you even like it, because the film really ain't cheap. You may also consider just buying a new Polaroid OneStep+ or OnesStep 2 as the film is a little cheaper.

I won’t, but why not the spectra?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

So my new-to-me Polaroid was developing with some lines so I cleaned the rollers as the internet says, wipe with a damp cloth, and I seem to have made it worse?

(Left is before, middle is one clean, right is two cleans)

Visually the rollers seem fine. There’s a few isolated spots of corrosion on the top roller that don’t seem to correlate to the stripes, and some marks on the ends that aren’t wiping off, but they don’t appear to overlap with the image.

Should I escalate to alcohol or is there something else I could try?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

After doing a bunch of sx-70 shooting I’m getting ready to grab a Pentax ME on a whim, but before I pull the trigger: is it worthwhile to throw away a few more :10bux: for something like an MX? I don’t really have a sense for what makes a better film camera or what extra money gets you.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Insanite posted:

FWIW, I use an MX most of the time. It’s tiny and tough, and I dig the manual mechanicalness of it.

Do you have reasons that you personally are going back and forth between the two?

I was first thinking ME since it seems well regarded and is a good impulse buy price (and the title of the gear thread). The MX seems the same but with more controls, but I'm balking at the price a bit.

I'll check the minoltas out, the prices on them look to be pretty good. Edit: or get my dad to give me his contaflex again...

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 15, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

New camera day! Thanks for the recs. I’ve already taken a bunch of cat photos, can’t wait to see how I messed them up. Already planning what lens to get next.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Megabound posted:

Nice choice, if you've got it stuck to aperture priority I'm sure they'll all be perfectly exposed. Comp and focus is on you tho.

I totally didn’t immediately forget to reset the exposure compensation dial for a few shots, no sir

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

For those that don't do their own developing, what are good options for it? I've got a couple of local stores that do it, but are any of the online options worthwhile? Get prints at the time or scan the negatives and choose from there? Anything else?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Do you guys have a favorite online film lab? My local labs are kinda annoying. I'm looking at The Darkroom or Indie Film lab, but it feels like a shot in the dark

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

How are the Plustek 8X00s for scanning?

Edit: or the V600?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

If I ever get into medium format, getting a new scanner will be the least of my problems

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Any advice for flying internationally with film? I've heard that hand-checking isn't as much of a thing as it is in the US, but also running it through carry-on xray isn't that big of a deal with reasonable film speeds?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Anyone have experience reviving the selenium light meter in a contiflex super B? I’m digging around google but wanted to check if there’s any first-hand experience here

Edit: just found a service manual and lol looks like I’m boned

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 9, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah I think it’s a case of using a light meter app on my phone and/or put it some place pretty

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I'm half-considering getting baby's first 120 camera. Is there really anything separating the plethora of TLRs in the $300 range? Is it worth is to spend a little more and get something like a RB67?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

the RB is really quite big and heavy even for an MF camera, whereas a TLR can generally fit into most camera bags as an extra "might as well bring it along" thing.

ooooh I didn't realize they were that big, yeah good portability is a big factor. I glanced at the Ikonta and kinda discounted it, but I don't have experience with rangefinders or TLRs so it's not like I'm making informed decisions here. My get just went TLR since all of my experience is with reflex cameras.

Fixed normal lens is fine, I almost never take the 50 off of my 35mm

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I just ordered a 135mm for my X-700 and I’m interested to see how it changes things for me. I’m shooting like 70/30% at my 28/50mm and I really have no idea how I’m going to have to change my thought process for it.

Speaking of being thoughtful, carrying a DSLR and a SLR on vacation is kind of annoying, but it’s nice to be able to spam the digital for posterity and just relax and have fun with film

All on Portra 400 with an X-700

May-25-12

May-25-18

May-25-26

May-25-27

May-25-05

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

tiniestacorn posted:

Sick. Looks like a Hopper painting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This one is amazing.

Yeah that one’s a banger, definitely my favorite from the trip. Maybe the best shot I’ve yet done where the filmy-ness really makes it. To think I nearly missed it because it was the end of a long day and I was zoning out.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I was doing some tests with negatives against a screen and it definitely needed diffusion

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

:10bux: says those are all unused. The auto-winder I have rolls in all the way, it'd be silly not to.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Recent adventures in Doing More B&W, some TriX 400

Recoome posted:

These types of finds are absolutely golden - looking forward to seeing the results.

Speaking of results, I shot some Washi S and absolutely fuuuuuuuuucked it up. It's 50 ISO sound recording film and I shot it in my Super Ikonta which produces great results but gently caress me I did not shoot it right. Below is probably the most workable photo but I didn't account for how Ortho it'd be and just a bit meh. I've got Fomapan 200 loaded in my Super Ikonta so I'll have another crack at these but yikes.

:eyepop: I'm a sicko for super contrast

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

VoodooXT posted:

You won't know until you shoot them and get them developed.

In any case, the chances that they're unshot are high though I don't know if Pentax ever did factory modifications for their cameras to do leader out. I know Nikon did factory modifications if you sent your camera to them if you wanted leader out for your film winder (my F4s came with the leader out modification).

Why would you want that?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Speaking of scanning how do y’all approach color correction of scans? Do you accept the scan as true to life or do a lot of lever fiddling? Keep yourself to edits that could be done in traditional printing? It seems like a lot of digital editing would defeat the purpose of shooting film but how do you know what accurate is.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Even Saint Ansel did a *lot* of darkroom wizardry, so if your workflow is hybrid there is no shame in dinking with those sliders till the cows come home IMO.

I mean I assume any editing you can do in a darkroom would be “ethical”, but does that include things like level and curve adjustments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Welp, I learned some stuff but I think the real question I was asking was overlooked, so lets talk examples. Now that I have a scanner (opticfilm 8300) I've been revisiting some favorite frames and scanning them, and at least with the color shots I've been testing, I've been getting some significantly different results compared to the photo lab scans. This is from a roll of Portra 400:

What the lab gave me:

What my scanner gave me using its Portra 400 setting and some very rudimentary level adjustments:

And I mean... what? Is that green cast authentic to the film or an invention of the lab scanner? Is my scanner right or is it adjusting away some inherent tint to the film when underexposed? How do I even figure that out without access to a darkroom to make actual prints? Or are both correct because there's no objective reality so I should just invent my own?

I'm no digital novice so while I know that any digital scan of a physical item is going to need some work, I was hoping a film scanner would be a reasonably honest recreation of what you'd get out of a darkroom. I'll pull the all the levers all day long on my digital photos, but I dunno it feels like if I'm doing the same to my film photos then what's even the point of shooting film in the first place, y'know?