Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m currently embarking on my first foray into film since I took photography class in highschool.

I picked up a Pentax ME Super SE (I can’t figure out what makes the SE different, anyone know?) with the 50mm 1.7 lens at goodwill. The shutter wasn’t firing on it, so following a video on YouTube, I took it apart and proceeded to completely gently caress it up even more!

After spending some time meticulously combing through said repair video, I managed to get it back together, and apparently the act of just putting it together made it work again! The shutter fires just fine now and it all seems to work.

I picked up some Fuji 400 because it’s the only thing my local Walmart had and I’m not gonna stick serious money into film until I get a roll developed and at least know that the camera actually works.

Apparently the metering systems on these can get wonky with age, so I’m considering grabbing a metering app to see if it lines up with what the camera suggests. I’m hoping it works because the in-eyepiece metering is pretty neat IMO.

Also because I’m the type of degenerate who buys up old lenses and runs them on a DSLR with adapters, I think I have one or two Pentax K-Mount lenses already that I can try with this body too.

Anyway, that’s my “return to film” story.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That would be the case, it’s a split diagonal focus screen, which I’ve never used before, but it works out nicely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do you make up for the lack of exif data in film? Is it even a problem once you get your camera figured out?

What I mean is I’m keeping a log in my phones notes app of each shot, what the settings are that I used, what the cameras meter said about the exposure and any other details.

I figure once I get the film back I can troubleshoot any issues I see.

For instance, since I’m still learning this camera, I thought I had it in aperture priority mode, but I had it in manual mode, didn’t adjust the shutter speed, and took a shot that the camera said was underexposed and most likely will be. No clue if it will be salvageable or not, but when I get a black frame back at least I’ll know why

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you have to adjust how you shoot film in cold weather? We’re heading into chilly weather here and my thought is since shooting film is ultimately a chemical process, does cold affect it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've noticed that the ISO (ASA I guess) wheel on my Pentax ME Super has little notches between the ISO values that it can be set to. For instance, between 400 and 800 there is a dot on the 400 side and a dot on the 800 side that he knob can be set to. Are there films with ISO's in between 400 and 800? Is this a way to trick the camera into extra exposure compensation? It already has two stops of compensation on either side of the exposure available on a separate wheel. I dont think this is accidental, as there is a definite detent for each dot, and there isnt one between the two dots

Whats going on here?

Here you can see it set to the in between dot:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 11, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a dingus posted:

That camera looks like it's in really nice shape!

Weirdly, for a Goodwill find, it is! Everything seems in working order, the 50mm lens is clear as can be, AND it came with a period correct denim shoulder strap, which is :kiss:

It seems whoever owned it before me actually looked after it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Film and/or Thrift gods have smiled upon me today.

I spotted a Pentax camera bag while out thrifting today. I was going to get the bag just because I thought it would be cool to keep my ME Super in, but upon picking it up, I discovered that it had not only a Pentax ZX-30 with the 28-80 kit lens on it, but the bag was full of film canisters!

The film is a mix of Kodak Max 400 and Fuji Super HQ 200

My question to you all is, are these canisters unused? I only ask because this is an auto-winder camera, and could theoretically wind each canister to the exact same spot, like they are right now. However, I feel like this would really confuse the user and make them mix up what film is used and what film isnt. So, would this camera wind the completed film into the canister? Can I assume these canisters are unused?

There is a roll of film already in the camera, so once I get ahold of some CR2 batteries, I'll shoot the rest of that roll and find out for myself how the camera winds it, but if anyone knows, let me know

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a dingus posted:

I've never used an auto winder but I'd assume it'd always wind the roll back into the canister. It'd be super confusing to wind it back the way an unused canister looks.

This is my thought too, so fingers crossed for unused film.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol the whole kit ran me $6

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does home development save money, or is it a time saver, or both?

There are two labs in the Milwaukee area that do in-house development, and it’s about a 20 minute drive depending on traffic in the city for me, so it’s not horrible, but not super convenient either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My question to you all is, are these canisters unused? I only ask because this is an auto-winder camera, and could theoretically wind each canister to the exact same spot, like they are right now.

I solved the mystery, the camera winds the film back into the can, so the canisters I have look to be unused. Only one way to find out for sure though and that’s to shoot them.

The camera body itself is unusable, apparently the Pentax ZX line is notorious for the mirror getting stuck in the up position because the gear that drives it is plastic, which turns to dust after a while. Pentax issued a replacement brass gear for it, which is essentially unobtanium in 2023, and the replacement process is not for someone who doesn’t repair cameras for a living, apparently it’s deep inside the body.

Oh well, $6 still got me a nice Pentax bag, 5 rolls of film and a kit lens that actually will mount to my ME Super (thank you Pentax for your stubborn refusal to change your lens mount). A win overall.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 14, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a way to determine the age of film without the original box?

The 5 rolls I have didn’t come in the box, can the numbers on the can be decoded somehow?

I can just shoot them a stop or two below their rating as a guess I suppose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is DSLR scanning that big of a difference? I have an epson perfection v370 photo and I feel like it does a pretty good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those of you scanning film with a scanner, what software are you using?

I have an epson v370 photo and the epson photo scan software is a pain. I struggled a lot getting it to crop images properly, and it doesn’t allow you to adjust the crop at all. So you either have to scan the film like a transparency and then crop everything yourself, or deal with it’s botched cropping