Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Try looking for a Epson Perfection 4490, not as :coal: as the 4990, but since the demand is low try finding one for cheap used. I had one for a while I was trying to unload and ended up giving it to a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Fiannaiocht posted:

Would anyone know how to check how many shutter actuations a N80 would have? I just wanted to make sure it isn't on it's last legs since my gf's camera is starting to go and it's making me paranoid.

I broke down early on and got the Sekonic here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E89...H2T0BPXNAZ0MYX&

The good news is that I don't really care about built-in light meters, and the way I amass cameras over the years this is actually paying for itself :xd:

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Rontalvos posted:

Edit:

I bought a used one of those off ebay and I love it so much. It's easy to use and I've been getting great slides while using it. I'm gonna buy a Sekonic L-208 (comes with a shoe mount!) next week though because it's so button small :3: and I'm tired of being afraid of losing/dropping a $260 meter while I'm out and about with my $10 film cameras.

Original post: My dad's an ebay fiend and has a small cache of film cameras he's currently listing, and if it's kosher I can link people to auctions he's putting up so you can bid knowing they've been goon inspected and approved.

Anyway, he's got a Pentax K1000 that the meter seems to just be on all the time, no matter what, with no way to turn it off. Is this normal?

And a Minolta X-700 that the meter works and everything but even with a fresh set of batteries it refuses to release the shutter. It sure likes beeping at me but won't do much else.

My meter comes out to get the initial reading, then promptly goes back in a pocket or bag. Where are you finding $10 cameras? :) I don't use anywhere near all of the settings, but it's been a great meter for me. As for the K1000, I don't have mine at the ready, but IIRC the metering is through the lens, right? If so, that's where the lens cap comes in handy, and will effectively turn off the meter. I seem to remember another model with a small plastic plug that covered the meter, but I don't think that's the K1000.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Why you'd need more than 2 cameras/backs is foreign to me. 100 in one, 800 in the other, gogogo.
Of course, my 3rd film camera is currently on its way to me now. gently caress you, gear lust.

I am getting ready to go on a light hiking vacation with my family in a month, and I am- kid you not- seriously planning on taking 3 cameras. I'll have my Nikon D80 for my digital stuff, my Bronica for trail shots (probably the bulk of my photos), and my Crown Graphic for landscapes.

The good news is that each hike will be short, at 2-3 miles total for each day. Luckily I found some tricks, like getting a larger hiking backpack and putting a camera bag inside it. It should be interesting, but I only have 1 day back to process all my film before I have to get back on the road traveling for work.

Oh, and the Sekonic will be in the bag too.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I'm not brave enough to leave the DSLR at home just yet- the 50mm is just so damned good at capturing stuff, although I am already at the point where it will not have the dual battery grip or the kit lens. I honestly don't know off hand what lens the CG has on it, but I can say it's too late for new purchases in time for the vacation.

Oh, and the DSLR will be used by everyone in the family, aside from the wife who I am trying to find budget to get her a micro 4/3. Here's the plan:

Snapshot Camera:
Nikon D80
50mm Lens
Single battery, no filter, etc.
Probably set on Aperture Priority for family

Mixed Use Camera
Bronica ETRSi
40mm Lens
Possible Cokin adapter ring (for my existing GND/ND filters)
2 Backs (May expand to 4) for Ilford 3200, 100, and Kodak 400.
Grip, waistlevel viewfinder, bubble level

Landscape Camera
Crown Graphic
?? Lens
6 double-sided backs for ISO 25, 100 and 400(?) B&W and color films
(This represents a big investment, as my local pro shop charges ~$10 a sheet for color development. I do my own 4x5 B&W via the 'taco method'.

Other Gear
Magnesium Bogen Head, Bogen Tripod.
Sekonic Light Meter
3 Foot shutter release
*Looking for timed shutter release for family MF/LF pics

I will be picking up the backpack today, and will start adding the gear/weight to my current hikes. I would be happy to do a trip report if anyone is interested, I am giving my oldest son my K1000 for the trip and a digital P&S to my youngest son.

I really could use some suggestions on mechanical release timers for the Bronica and Crown Graphic.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ouch. The one closest to me only charges $2.75/sheet, but it's like a half hour drive each way. Haven't tried them out yet (loaded my first 4x5 today, but it's B&W) but I imagine they'll be getting my business pretty soon. How are you supposed to take sheet film in to be developed, anyways? I don't have any spare boxes laying around yet.

You just take the box in. Make sure they are in the bag AND the box, don't ask why :( I'd seriously recommend the 'taco method' after you see the bill for your first batch. All you need are some hair bands without the metal part (my wife found me some at a 99 cent store) and a double-120 stainless tank. The most I have done in a tank is 3, but people say you can do 4 no problem.

I'll be doing all the B&W myself, but the color I will only be using on the "Oh my god what a shot" kind of circumstances.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I really don't have any boxes I can spare yet... I wonder if they'd crucify me for bringing them in still loaded in the holders.

I've actually read about using sections of PVC pipe for the taco method, which seems easier. Regardless, Ace Hardware was closed and I had to have my results tonight so I just freeballed it in trays. Goddamn did I botch it. My nails aren't talons but I should have trimmed them first, the emulsion has gouges all over. I realized at the end after flipping on the lights that I had actually poured D-76 instead of fixer into the last tray :downs: Need to pay more attention to the labels on my gallon jugs. Not the end of the world since these were just random test shots, but still pretty annoying. I went ahead and re-fixed it with no apparent fogging or anything, but spending 20 minutes in pitch blackness wondering if I set the timer right really isn't much fun. Think I'm going to suck it up and buy a Combi-plan, would be better on the road anyhow.

Was at least pleasantly surprised how easy it is to load 4x5 holders. I also used my hat as a shutter to take a shot with my Aero Ektar (shutter speed was about a half second; thanks for the tip, 19th century :wotwot:); holy poo poo I cannot wait to get a camera with a working focal plane shutter, that thing is awesome.

Very quick and dirty scan with laptop LCD as a light table, 5D, and PS crop/inversion:

Very nice. I ended up blowing my camera fund on a V700 scanner, and I have to say I have been very pleased with some of my early photos. I tried some Polaroid/Fuji film with some Polaroid backs, but the film is far easier and since I'm not doing pro work I'm ok with not seeing the actual shot until I get home.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I thought I'd do a quick interest check here (followed up by an official SA-Mart entry if there's interest) for my Olympus 35RC and my Yashica Lynx 5000. I can post photos and whatnot, and they both have fresh batteries. I'm just not a rangefinder person. (View Cameras 4lyfe!)

Anyone interested?

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Rednik posted:

How much are you thinking for the Yashica? I have an old Lynx 14-e with a broken shutter and light meter that I would love to replace.

How does $35 shipped sound? The black stuff has started to peel around the ends of the camera. I was told to either try glue or give up and replace it.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Make me an offer, PM me to work out the rest.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Rednik posted:

The black stuff meaning the leatherette or the foam sealing the edges? If it's the latter, I'm in luck because I have a lot extra from fixing my Olympus XA. If it's the former, I'm sure I'd be able to glue it back together.

How does the camera work, though? Is the light meter and everything in order? The $35 shipped is sounding pretty good, I'd just need to check how much I got in my last work-study paycheck.

The leatherette. The light meter is good and measures ok, and I only did a test roll when I bought the camera.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Seconding air blowers. I also keep a bottle of windex handy. I clean just before I scan, it's part of my workflow :)

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

If it's 400 or lower, it's really just best to hand carry it. If you check in it bags, you'll get it fried by the high-powered poo poo they scan hardcase and metal luggage with. If you mail it, you're at the whim of the carrier- some are ok, but my understanding is that customs and the USPS do multiple scans of various levels of suspicious packages.

If it's hot poo poo, get it developed locally- otherwise for me (and I travel about 75% of the year), ISO 3200 is local-only film.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I've got your large format right here :)

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/02/16/a-camera-large-enough-to-live-in/

Great googly moogly- can you imagine his chemical costs?

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Hoping this is useful. Selling several of my favorite film cameras like my Olympus 35RC, Crown Graphic, & Bronica ETRSi.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3477371

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Ilford Delta 400, downtown Chicago in the winter of 2011.

v700-doscher-008.jpg by jdoscher, on Flickr

Ilford Delta 100, Munich in the summer of 2011.

v700-doscher-022.jpg by jdoscher, on Flickr

By now you can guess I found some undeveloped film.

hybr1d fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 13, 2013

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Don't forget the coin cell battery for the meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

krnhotwings posted:

Finally completed a roll of Portra 400 that had been sitting in my camera for almost a year. It's my first roll of the new Portra, and I gotta say that I love the colors.

Scripps Pier by krnhotwings, on Flickr

What's up San Diego? I'm out of Carlsbad.