Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

a strip of unexposed film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My d90 would be so sweet in brushed aluminum/magnesium. Plus I could clobber peons with it.

When you think about it though, quite a few DSLRs have metal housings, they're just covered in plastic and rubbery compounds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gnomad posted:

I'd have it delivered to the office.
That's just delaying the inevitable. :laugh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Armed Neutrality posted:

I do the same thing with fly rods, then I lie about the cost being about a fifth of what it actually was, and she still yells at me. "What, you paid how much for a stick to catch fish?" If only she knew...
A happy dysfunctional relationship! What's not to like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leica-mount Nikons :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lambster Bisque posted:

Pretty sure he said 'affordable' there ...
Are used models still that expensive? (I truly have no idea, I find the whole rangefinder concept retarded in this day and age).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

It's actually you who is retarded. :)
If you like film I don't see why not, but people buying things like M8.2's just boggles my mind.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We have a v500 at my current client's print shop and while I can't speak of the scan quality the LED light you don't have to wait for is amazing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TokenBrit posted:

My V700 has to warm up. Mind you, it's such a short part of the overall scanning process that I don't find it to be a big deal.
Yeah, but they had a 350 before and it does take a good 15 seconds. It's really more of a psychological advantage, but it kinda makes the process smoother since there's only a long wait once you've defined the scan area.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can't really fit more than 40 shots worth of 35mm film in a canister. It's just cheaper.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Are you using your scanner's maximum res?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pwn posted:

No, I selected a DPI setting to closely match the existing scans I had. I'll keep working on this over the next few days. I don't want to return it, but if this is the best it can do, the money can be better spent.
Aren't the scans you got downsampled? Really just give it a shot at max res and go from there (welcome to half an hour per strip!).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you have a lab available and they're competent, the only question is how much you value your time :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

notlodar posted:

My time is more valuable than my happiness :(
:(:respek::cry:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL you're the seedy underbelly of concert photography :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

At that price that's a pretty amazing score. Thanks for the history lesson :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can get an Olympus 1-14 focusing screen? I ordered one from KEH but there was a 1-10 screen in the case instead of a 1-14. :argh:
Hahaha so you finally you broke down and still didn't get the right screen?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thermometer?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

penneydude posted:

Do you have any tips that might help me out?
Shooting white people with chrome is a recipe for disaster, for one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

this seems like an appropriate place to share this link:

http://tokyocamerastyle.com

i've been drooling for 45 minutes already
Some of the poo poo people walk around with is pretty amazing
What's even more amazing is that quite a few walk around with no film loaded :eng99:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gaffer tape a spare to your camera, problem solved.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A body with retro styling and a best-of mix of features from the EP1 and the pana M43 camera (plus a good EVF) would be pretty sex, yes 8)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a dude not too far with an Olympus 35 RD for sale, what should I reasonably expect to pay for it?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So I've been looking at film cameras for a while now, and I'm slowly posing hope of finding a decent rangefinder (Minolta 35, Canonet 17). I did come across a dude selling a good condition R3 (with a 50 and a 90 elmarit-R). Too bad it kinda defeats the purpose of the cameras I intended to get (small body, fast glass to throw BW film in and take everywhere) or I'd go take a look at it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

If you want something easy, you'll probably want something with some kind of metering, which Leicas don't have.
Yeah the R3 meters I'm pretty sure, it's just... big.

It's kind of a dangerous way to go about it but I don't have a fixed budget, as long as I end up with something usable by a digi-newbie and with features worth the money. So stuff like metering Leica rangefinders are pretty much out, and I'm more looking for stuff like decent shape QL17, 35RD's (pretty much nobody wants to part with those, it's ridiculous), things like that.

The goal's really to get something smaller/lighter than my D90+Sig 30 combo, as that's what I carry everywhere now, and it gets aggravating when I have my work laptop+adapter plus a bunch of work-related hardware/reports in my bag already.

It seems the thing to do is not be afraid to look at camera's from the UK/Germany, as the stinky loving Dutch only ever bought cheap rangefinders with slow lenses. Still no 35RD in sight, but there's quite a few QL17's for decent prices. I'd really rather get away from a mirror-slapping beast if I could at all.

Thanks for the advice the lot of you, I feel the same as when I got my D90: the more I read the more I see the amount of poo poo I don't know.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 3, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just won an Olympus 35 RD 8-)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Toys!

Now I need a battery and a lens cap :ohdear:

Is there a euro-goons recommended place to get film?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks for the links pals. Tri-X for less than 3 pounds a roll is just what I was looking for. Hurray for the weak pound 8)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

If you plan on shooting a lot, look into bulk loading. Canada is in a similar situation in that B&W film prices can be horrific, but bulk loading takes a bit part of the sting out of that.
I just got the camera, so I'm first going to check whether it's got leaks or any other show stoppers, then arrange for some kind of metering (Wein cell probably) so I don't have to drag the dSLR along just for that.
Also I've got C-41 color film in it now, but I've got to find a place that'll take that B&W since I don't have any developing supplies. What the gently caress did I just get myself into :ohdear:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Look it up?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you want to minimize fast temp shifts wouldn't you want the bag to be full of air?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it's a one time thing don't forget you could look at used stuff and resell it after.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd get the F3 just for the 50/1.2, but you should be aware it's not exactly a lightweight combination. Get your friend another Nikon :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why you'd need more than 2 cameras/backs is foreign to me. 100 in one, 800 in the other, gogogo.
Of course, my 3rd film camera is currently on its way to me now. gently caress you, gear lust.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

loving. SCORE :neckbeard:

# Pretty much mint F3, DK-6 eyecup, Type D screen
# Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8
# MD-4 Motordrive
# SB-12 Speedlight + bag
# SC-14 Flashcord TTL
# MC-12a Remote cord
# AH-2 Tripod adapter

200 bucks.

Anyone got a Type H, K, J or G they could do without? :ohdear:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 10, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Meh.

Olympus 35RD
Nikon F3
Hassy C/M.

That's it :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My F3 just got in, so it's question time, since a camera with a meter and a motor winder will do horrible things to my film intake.

- Is there a guide somewhere listing which (unbranded/third party) films are which (first party/too rich for my blood).
I found semi-cheap Tri-X here (I'm on the old continent).

- Euro film nerds: Are there any recommended places to get cheaper film?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just shot my first couple of rolls with mine. Took the winder off after the first one: I'm not yet made out of money :mad:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Oddly, the slower the shutter speed you select, the more you have to turn the film winding knob which also cocks the shutter. You would think it would be the other way around, but whatever.
You need to wind the timing mechanism further for the longer shutter times, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

First shot ever taken on my F3 :unsmith:

Cheapo NIKKOR 50mm f/1/8 AI.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 21, 2010