Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Reichstag posted:

That's what I thought. What's throwing me off is the flash thing.
Maybe the flash unit is covering up the leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

brad industry posted:

Anyone want to recommend a cheap place to get 120 developed in the Bay Area?
I don't know what's considered cheap, but NEWLAB is $6 for develop only and they at least used to be the de facto standard photo lab of the Bay Area.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I just ordered an EOS 3 from KEH. It's been almost 8 years since I shot film, so I'm pumped for this :dance: I already have an Epson V500 from when I digitized all my mom's Kodachrome slides, so I'm going to be doing my own scanning.

I mostly shoot landscapes but I do some people shots too. I'm thinking the best general-purpose color film for pictures outside would be Ektar 100? Also thinking Portra 400NC might fit my needs for higher-speed film. Is color balance something I need to worry about if I'm shooting indoors?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

guidoanselmi posted:

I might be the only person who doesn't care for ektar too much - I would say shoot slide for landscapes. It's rare that I'll like a landscape I've shot in negative.
Some of my friends have been pushing me to shoot slides, so I gave in. Also figured it wouldn't hurt to try a bunch of different stuff.

Arriving next week at the same time as the camera - one roll each of: Velvia 100, Ektachrome E100G, Ektar 100, Portra 160NC, Portra 400NC, and good ol' Tri-X.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's here!

Soft-touch shutter = :aaa:
Eye-controlled focus = :aaaaa:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ferris Bueller posted:

how much did you find the EOS 3 for?
$240 shipped for EX on KEH. Not gambling on ebay and Craigslist sucks in my area.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
So, my EOS 3 seems to eat batteries. $15 2CR5 batteries. It killed the last one in under 24 hours. :suicide: (Yes, after the first one I made sure the switch was set to "L".)

BUT

KEH is awesome! They're RMAing it and I'm getting another one! :dance:

e: apparently the blinking "bc" could mean a malfunction as well as low battery. Either way...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I didn't want to wait for batteries to come from elsewhere - I was coming up on 30 days since I bought the camera...

I'm probably going to buy the Kodak 2CR5s B&H has for $6 and buy some more film too so shipping doesn't hurt so much.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I got my film back from Dwayne's! :dance:

These are all Portra 160NC. I'll scan the Ektar tomorrow.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

unixbeard posted:

why does film come in multiples of 6?
:eng101: It comes in multiples of 4. The 24-frame roll is a relatively recent introduction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/135_film#Length

All of the negative protectors I've seen are designed for strip lengths of 4 or (less commonly) 6. That makes 24 and 36 exposure rolls ideal, since those numbers are divisible by both 4 and 6...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I got a bunch of freezer-stored film with my new-to-me RZ67. All of it expired about 10 years ago, but it's supposedly been in the freezer since. It's 5 or 6 boxes of Vericolor II and some random Portra and Superia. I'm thinking I should rate the film one stop slower. Does that sound about right or does the fact that the film was in a freezer mitigate its age?

I've also read that pre-2000 C-41 generally requires a stabilizer to avoid fading after developing. Will Dwayne's or other labs do this on request or will I need to treat the negs myself after I get them back?

edit: I rite gud :downs:

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DJExile posted:

What's a good general use (400 ISO, I'd say) B&W film to use for travel? I'm guessing different films have different 'feels' to them. I'd like to get back into practice now that I have a new OM body on the way. I'll be going to Paris later this summer and I think some B&W would be pretty fun.
The answer to any question containing the phrases "400 ISO" and "B&W film" is Tri-X.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DJExile posted:

Awesome. Seeing it on Adorama for $3.59. Good price?

E: This one, unless I'm wrong somewhere
That's it. Haven't seen it cheaper anywhere recently.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mysticp posted:

I just got a freebie bag of old 120 film all at various levels of expiration and I have no idea how it has been stored.

Kodak Portra T100 (02/2005)
Kodak Tri-X 320 (10/2009 and one from 05/2005)
Ilford FP4 125 (08/2006)

I will shoot all the b&w myself. No idea what to expect from the Portra though, it's tungsten balanced so stuff I would never usually shoot. I'll try a roll and see how it looks, maybe anyone here interested in trying it?
I'd gladly take the Portra T100 off your hands. How much do you have?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mysticp posted:

PM me. As long as you put the effort into shooting a roll and showing us the results here I will mail you a roll for free. I only have 5 rolls so I want to try and spread the love a bit :)

PM sent :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Rumour has it the tungsten-balanced films keep their reciprocity for longer exposures at night, I've seen people talk about "up to 4 minutes" though I don't know the details (or how trustworthy such reports are).
T100 should be good for at least 2 minutes! http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e2468/e2468.pdf

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

HPL posted:

I find analog needle-type light meters are good because you can see all the aperture/shutter combinations at once plus you can wave the meter around and see what the highs and lows are and average it out.

I got a Gossen Digisix recently. It's got a lot of the fancy digital meter features while still being used like the analog meters we know and love. At $150 it's not too expensive, either.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

spf3million posted:

Can someone with a v500 and/or v700/750 take a picture of it next to something of reference so I can see how big they are in real life?

From the last page, but - my V500 with a New Yorker, a $5, and a Lenspen:

It's certainly not tiny, but it's a hell of a lot smaller than the HP Scanjet 5200c I had in high school.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

gib posted:

The best thing about it is the lack of grain. It is the sharpest negative film I've ever seen. I think it was designed to replace slide film.

I'd believe that - my best results with Ektar have been in situations where slide film would also have worked well. I think Ektar is somewhat more limiting, though, in that I only get good results in scenes with strong/direct light. Anything from overcast days looks like crap.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Man_alive posted:

I had the film developed today, only to find that there is nothing on the film. At all.
Just to be clear - the manufacturer's edge markings were there, right, just not any images? If the film is completely clear that means it got fixed before being developed and/or the lab's chemistry is hosed up.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I think the new Portra 160 is pretty sweet.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

2400 dpi is massive overkill. I use 600 when I'm feeling masochistic, 300 normally. Play around with 48 bit vs. 24 bit colour and tell us whether it's worth it.

I disagree; I find 2400dpi to be the optimum, past which I get diminishing returns on resolution. There's definitely more detail past that which I won't be able to get out of the negative with a flatbed scanner, but that's plenty for my purposes. I end up with around 7.5 megapixels out of a 35mm frame and 34 megapixels out of a 6x7 frame.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Tried some nighttime long exposures with Portra 400. Looks like +2 stops is a good adjustment for reciprocity failure past 5 seconds.

Tried +1 stop, way too thin - but still scanned great:

Tried +1.5 stops, still a little thinner than I'd like but almost there:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

brad industry posted:

What is the reasoning behind this, because it sounds like you would just end up with thin negatives.

Well, yeah... but part of why I posted those two pictures was to show how well even super thin Portra 400 negatives scan. Definitely some ridiculous shadow detail.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

guidoanselmi posted:

great shots
Thanks! I was really excited to get this roll back. When I looked at the negative I was all :ohdear: but after deciding to give it a shot in the scanner anyway I went all :dance:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

brad industry posted:

Yeah but all print film has really good exposure latitude. ISO isn't set in stone or anything, it's more like an average. The same film in different cameras will vary in where it falls on the curve.

I guess I don't understand why you would want to do this (or at least I couldn't see any reason looking at that article). It's better to overexpose print film, and you shouldn't chemically push anything unless you have to.
Not saying I would do it intentionally, but I think the idea is to avoid the undesirable color shifts etc. from chemically pushing, while still rating the film at a higher ISO so you can get the shutter speeds you need in a certain situation.

Maybe I'm showing my inexperience with color negative film or the amount of time that's passed since I printed optically, but I wasn't expecting to get what I got out of a negative that looks like this:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:q:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DancingPotato posted:

They're ALL 220 rolls!? Wow. That should keep you going for a millenia or so...
Maybe not a millennium, but at least a year or two...

Anybody want some? I'll part with up to 5 rolls a person for my cost, $7 plus actual shipping. Seems to be about the going rate. Expired 2009, supposedly freezer kept since, except for its trip to me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

penneydude posted:

2. Apparently when you unstick tape from things it gives of a weird, faint green light. Usually not something I would notice, but when you're taping 200' of film to a spool in total darkness, it catches you off guard a bit.

Triboluminescence! :science:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cannister posted:

A little while back mysticp sent some free expired (2005?) rolls of Portra 100T to the first few lucky goons who spoke up - luckily I was one of them and here are the worthwhile results from my roll:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannister/sets/72157627255877020/
Oh, those are on the Portra 100T??? Nice. I figured I would save my roll for the next time I shoot something where reciprocity failure and warm color temperatures are an issue...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

How do you deal with overly curly film? Is there any miracle cure when your negatives like to curl up, making them way too hard to push into sleeves or place in the enlarger?

I suspect it happens with old film that has been stored too warm...

Also: Do your B/W development at home. Anything else is just wrong.

Curl across the negative or lengthwise? For curl across the negative I curl the negative sleeve too as I put in the negative. For lengthwise curl, once my negs are in strips to go into the sleeves, the curl isn't ever so severe I can't coax them into the sleeves. Occasionally I'll have the sleeves at the edge of a table so the un-sleeved portion of the negative strip can hang off while I thread in the beginning of the strip.

For me, both types of curl seem to resolve themselves after a few days in a negative binder with a few pounds' worth of other negative sleeves pushing them flat.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I found a local camera shop I didn't know about that carries a variety of developing chemicals :swoon:

I have 35mm reels but not 120 reels. I remember the last time there was a reel discussion people seemed to be split pretty evenly between plastic & metal. I personally think Hewes stainless are the way to go for 35mm, but there was at least one person saying that plastic was better for 120 specifically. Those of you that do your own 120 - metal or plastic, and more importantly, why?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Maverique posted:

Do you find it easy to get cheap film in the US? I'm having a hard time getting over the "loving portra 800 costs 7 something euros" barrier.

Shoot Portra 400 at 800. It'll do fine.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Captain Postal posted:

AP compact developing tank reel. Fully compatible with the normal AP developing tank, together with every other developing tank in the world (jobo, paterson (what I use them with) etc).
Are these the same? http://freestylephoto.biz/55043-Arista-Premium-Plastic-Developing-Reel It's clearly not the Classic and it clearly has large tabs, but it doesn't say anything about "compact" anywhere. The site you got your photo from - http://www.frugalphotographer.com/catChemicals.htm - is out of stock.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mannequin posted:

How does Ilford 400 hold up when pushed to 1600?

I've pushed HP5+ to 6400 before with usable results.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I know we have a lot of P67 users in here, but why not consider an RB67? It doesn't have the same crazy focal-plane shutter vibration issues, there's interchangeable backs, and you can get kits for $300 (or less if you're patient).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Well, call me crazy for walking around with my RZ then v:shobon:v I keep the neck strap short and brace it against my chest when I shoot.

After I got the RZ I considered getting a P67 instead - using one was my first exposure to medium format, in fact - but I love having interchangeable backs too much. I usually use the WLF and leave the prism finder at home, because that does save quite a bit of size and weight.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Did my own B&W for the first time in 9 years. Feels good man.

Pan F Plus in HC-110 Dilution F. Underdeveloped a little, so the negs are somewhat flat, but it's easier to deal with in a scanner than in an enlarger.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mannequin posted:

That looks great! I'm still a little nervous about doing my own b&w developing and have it done with the rest of my film. The main problem I have is dealing with temperatures since my apartment is almost always too hot.

Thanks. Temperatures are actually pretty easy to adjust for unless your apartment is way above 80 degrees. What I do is I fill a metal bowl with water and wait for the whole thing to come to room temperature. Then I use the water to mix my developer. That way the developer temperature won't change over the course of development and you'll know exactly how much to compensate. Other temps don't matter so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mannequin posted:

Shot with Provia 100f (which I can't seem to find anymore these days), I like the pastel look to it. It was shot almost wide open because I was low on light, I think stopped down with a tripod would have helped it quite a bit.

If you're willing to give them your money, the Lomography shop seems to have it in stock. I just talked to a lady at Freestyle who said Fuji's been giving them the run-around on when there'll be more available...