Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

HookShot posted:

Can someone humour my stupid question? I know you can't run film through X-Ray machines. That much I remember from when I was 10 and used film.

What I can't remember if is this applies to both developed and undeveloped film.

So if I'm going on a plane and I have a film camera, should I put it in my checked baggage to avoid the X-Ray machine? And what about the film I've already developed? Checked baggage as well?

Thanks guys.

It's only fast undeveloped film (ISO 1600 or more) that can be affected. Checked baggage gets even stronger x-rays than carryons, so don't check any film. If you're paranoid ask for a hand check - have all of your film in a ziploc bag. I've done this many times and never gotten any hassle aside from one overzealous TSA agent wanting to open the boxes the film canisters came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
the brown santa came

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Acros :allears:

Oak Cliff by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Oak Cliff by RHITMrB, on Flickr

HC-110 Dilution E, 7 minutes at 20 degrees C.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DJExile posted:

God help me, I might get into developing my own B&W. The process doesn't seem that complicated, but I have a few questions:

What am I looking to pay to get myself a good setup with all the pans/chemicals/wheels I need?

How big an area do I need? I can't dedicate a room to it, but it sounds like I only need space for 2 or 3 of those little tub things and a little extra. I thought I'd heard someone say they just use their laundry room since there's no windows and did things on top of their washer and dryer.

How wary do I have to be about these chemicals in terms of a ventilated room, burning the poo poo out of my fingers, etc?

I guess I need at least one of the solutions to be at 20 degrees Celsius. Are there tricks to holding it exactly there or is general "room temperature" fine?

After I get a roll developed, am I best off making my own prints then, or shipping the negatives somewhere?

I appreciate the help :shobon:

If you're just developing film, you only need a sink to pour chemicals into your tank and a closet to load film into your tank. Having a darkroom with tub things and ventilation is only necessary if you're planning on doing wet printing.

I personally have my thermostat set to 20 degrees C anyway so I get the water in the ballpark out of the tap and then leave a tub of it out and it gets to room temperature after an hour or two. Getting the water temperature right is only going to be a major issue if you live someplace so warm that the cold water is warmer than 20 C.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

guidoanselmi posted:

It should have one of the highest, I thought. I figured ISO corresponds inversely with Dmax

Pan F+ has given me the thinnest-looking negatives I've ever had. Still scans/prints great, like nielsm said.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

The developed roll is completely blank. Not even frame spacing, just a 5-foot strip of grainy medium gray, with about 2 inches of black at the leader.
When you say it's gray, do you mean it's opaque gray? If so, it didn't get fixed.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

It's translucent gray - light comes through it if I hold it in front of a bulb, but fuzzy. Is there a way for film to not get fixed even in the presence of fresh, known-good fixer?

Now it's sounding more like your film got exposed to light. Sorry :(

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

So, I scanned in some 35mm film on my V500 and had it printed at 8x10 at the local Ritz Camera. It looks like total poo poo. Is it's Ritz's fault? Is it the V500's fault? Can 35mm just not be blown up reasonably to 8x10? I want to say the resolution was around 2000x3000 on a 30mb TIFF file, so I didn't imagine it would look so blurry and pixely.

Sigh.

How does the scan look at 100% on your monitor? If it's blurry and you can't see detail there at 2000x3000, something isn't right with the scan. Otherwise it's Ritz.

I scan at 2400dpi on my V500 and end up with about 2250x3400 scans with plenty of detail, so it's not that the V500 isn't capable of it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

What I've understood is that you do not need to push Portra 400. Underexpose by three stops (like you did), develop as normal, then print or scan some crazy-rear end negatives.
It's not what I would call ideal, but you can still get great images.

I posted this before, but - this was way underexposed, maybe two or three stops:

And this is what the negative looks like:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I bought $350 worth of Portra just in case. :sweatdrop:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

Yeah but what will you do in 6 months? :ohdear:

This is in addition to the brick and a half of 400NC I have in the freezer. I'm set for another two years. That should be enough time to save up for a medium format digital setup :o:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Schofferhofer posted:

So who's buying up Ektar and chucling it in the freezer? I've got 15 rolls of ektachrome to work through right now but am thinking a few Kodak pro packs might be a safe bet.

I'm not a fan of Ektar but I'm stocking up on Portra. This is in addition to the brick of 400NC-3 I already have in the freezer. All 220. :getin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Geek USSR posted:

So does this mean my negatives should be OK? Because the prints came back with the same line as the scans.

The prints could very well have been made from the scans. Check the negatives for scratches, and show it to the lab - at the very least you could get some free film as consolation if it's actually scratches on your negs; otherwise they'll rescan it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

the posted:

Can you guys go into a little bit more detail on this? The -/+ explanation was really helpful, but it looks like I don't see that on my camera.

For example, right now I'm shooting on ISO 400 film, and I have my camera set to f/1.8 and 1/125 shutter speed.

When I look through the lens I see:

M 125 1.8

Nothing indicating I'm about to overexpose the shot, which I believe I am since it's an extremely bright sunny day and I'm pointing out the window.

You may actually be retarded. In the Canon thread you referenced having read the manual, so I know you have seen this text:

quote:

[SETTING]
1) While pressing the shooting mode selector, turn the electronic
input dial until "M" appears in the display panel.
2) Remove your finger from the shooting mode selector.
· At this point, the initial setting is always 1/125 sec. at f/5.6.
3) Turn the electronic input dial to set the desired shutter speed.
4) Press the manual aperture set button.
· At this point, " OP ", " 00 ", or " CL " lights up instead of the shutter speed. (The aperture value remains
unchanged.) The meaning of each display follows:

OP: underexposure (OPen the aperture)
OO: correct exposure
CL: overexposure (CLose the aperture.)

5) While pressing the manual aperture set button, turn the
electronic input dial until " 00 " displays. The corresponding
aperture value displays.
6) Remove your finger from the manual aperture set button.
7) Determine the exposure referring to the shutter speed/aperture
combination. You must rely on your own experience for setting the
exposure.

· Set a slower shutter speed if "OP" remains lit when the electronic input dial is turned to the lens maximum
aperture.
· Set a faster shutter speed if "CL" remains lit when the electronic input dial is turned to the lens minimum
aperture.
· The camera-shake warning does not sound in the manual mode.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 15, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

echobucket posted:

Sounds like you don't have a visible meter in your viewfinder. I would be looking into another body or buying an external light meter. Or just shoot in Aperture or Shutter Priority.

Edit: Never mind. I see that it does have a sort of visible meter. I'd still get a different camera, life's too short to deal with a crappy design like that IMHO.

the seems to think that the camera is metering when you hold it up to your face without pressing any buttons.

edit: he should learn how to use a camera before buying another one.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 15, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

I legitimately mourn the loss of ortho sheet film. Developing by inspection sounds pretty cool :smith:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/24605-REG/Ilford_1813157_Ortho_Plus_4x5_B_W.html http://www.freestylephoto.biz/3728100-Rollei-ORTHO-25-iso-Orthochromatic-8x10-10-sheets ?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

Both of those are basically copy films. They're "ultra-contrasty", "technical, steeply working." You may be able to tame them with special developers and poo poo, but it's kind of unappealing to have a grand total of like two film-developer combinations available.

I don't have personal experience with this, but there seem to be a bunch of 8x10 shooters using x-ray film because it's super cheap. You're certainly right that it would be cool to have more normal film/developer combinations...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

whereismyshoe posted:

So I just bought another camera today - it's a canon EOS rebel, but..it's just a rebel. no x, no xs, no nothing else. On the body it just says "EOS Rebel" with a red streak under rebel. I can't seem to find any other information about this specific camera anywhere, anyone know anything about it?

It's probably this: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/eoscamera/EOS1000FRebelS/index.htm

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
New Jobo CPP3 rotary processor coming soon. With this and that Plustek and maybe a V700 for 4x5 I won't have to leave the house except to take pictures :swoon:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/blog/?p=47&preview=true

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

How does FP4+ compare to Acros? 100 ISO vs 125 ISO isn't a huge leap, especially since I'd be shooting both at 100 anyway. Acros is $1 cheaper per roll, and I've seen some phenomenal stuff with it, but I've never shot it personally. I guess I should just order some and shoot it and stop being a ween.

Acros is a magical film made of pixie dust and fairy wings. That said, it's a tabular grain film, so if you prefer the more traditional "look" of cubic grain, FP4+ is what you want.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

unleash the unicorn posted:

Is there any cheap B&W film still in production or is it all acros and delta now?

Talking 120, Acros is pretty cheap at $3.20/roll but there's also Lucky SHD and Arista EDU for under $3/roll. Is that not cheap enough?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

squidflakes posted:

When you're developing, at what point can you turn the lights back on? I thought I read in this thread that once you've dumped out the developer, you were ok to remove the lid of the tank to wash and then do fixing.

It's not safe until after the fixer. Also, don't stick sheets together - that's just asking for trouble. Use the "taco method" if you don't have a specialized 4x5 film holder.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
About half of my freezer is film.

Edit for list:

35mm:
HP5+
Portra 400
Velvia 50
random Kodak/Fuji/rebranded consumer film

120:
HP5+
Brick of Portra 400NC
Brick of Portra 100T
about 30 rolls of New Portra, both 400 and 160
Pro 400 MC
Vericolor II VPL
Tri-X
Plus-X
T-Max 100
Provia 100F
Provia 400X

4x5:
FP4+
HP5+
Acros
Astia
Provia
Velvia
NPL 160
Portra 160
Portra 400
Ektachrome
Era 100

Instant:
Polaroid Pogo
Polaroid 669
FP-100C, FP-100C45
FP-3000B, FP-3000B45

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 1, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does anyone know where I could get some film reels with the large guide flanges? I see a few kits with them, but no one seems to be selling individual large-flange reels, only short flange reels or kits.

I only have like two or three of the good ones. The short flange ones (just a 1/4" nub) work OK as long as everything is absolutely bone dry. The film kinks and buckles out of the track, 35mm is usually OK but 120 is so wide that the unsupported middle starts to crease. I've had that happen about three times now and am going to make an effort to get the small flange reels out of my kit.

I use these exclusively now. $8.99 at Freestyle.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Those are also fine for AP/Paterson tanks, right?

Life's too short to gently caress around with my crappy small-flange reels...

Yep! I use them interchangeably in my AP 2-reel tank and my Paterson 3-reel tank. Even the agitators are compatible between the AP and Paterson tanks.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

How are E100G and Provia 100F for skintones?

Not bad to pretty good, depending on the light. Looks to me like E100G does better in the shade.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=68222134@N00&q=e100g
http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=68222134%40N00&q=provia&m=text
http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=e100g+portrait&m=text
http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=provia+portrait&m=text

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

Hey you buttheads, KEH is having an up-to-10% off everything sale right now. Buy everything except the 6x7 TTL finders because I'm buying one Sunday or Monday.

Thanks for reminding me. I just snagged a multicoated 210mm Symmar-S for less than eBay prices.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
astia owns

that is all

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

Ektar is awesome

As long as you're shooting in bright sunlight. And as long as you don't overexpose. Or underexpose. And as long as you don't need the dynamic range you get from other negative film...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

Any opinions on Fuji Reala? It's the cheapest decent 100 ISO film on Adorama, and I'm about to take a vacation where I need to stay on a budget :shobon:

I get magenta casts in anything other than direct undiffused sunlight, so for my purposes it's in the unusable category along with Ektar.

Is your vacation far away enough that you could get some lightly expired Portra 160NC off eBay instead?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

alkanphel posted:

Looks like Fuji is killing more film, Velvia 100F is discontinued in most formats and they're stopping Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10 formats: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/19/fujifilm-discontinues-a-number-of-formats-from-the-velvia-film-lineup/

EDIT: Fuji themselves says they don't know anything about this hmmm....

Fujifilm UK has made announcements like this before, where they say it's true worldwide but it's in fact only for the UK. I'm all stocked up on Astia now so I may be biased, but I'd wait and see before freaking out.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

So I shot a couple rolls of Pan F today and I've not had a lot of luck with. I used Rodinal 1+50 for 11 minutes at 20C like Ilford recommends and the massive dev chart says. The negatives came out very thin. I had this problem the last time I tried to shoot Pan F and just assumed I'd hosed up the exposure because I'm still pretty new with using a flash manually. This time I noticed that the text in the rebates (frame numbers and the "Ilford Pan F") are also very thin so I wonder if it is a developing issue and not a shooting issue (for what it's worth I also shot two rolls of FP4 today and they came out perfectly exposed).

Anyway, has anyone here had success with Pan F and rodinal? If so what time/temp did you use?

Regardless, with the magic of photoshop I made the scans look nice, but I expect they'd be a bitch to print from...

I've always had Pan F+ come out looking way too thin but somehow scanning and printing perfectly v :) v

If you're having trouble scanning with the Ilford recommended times, add some agitation and/or time and you're set.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

Speaking of potentially poo poo products, has anyone had any experience with Lomography's DigitaLIZA masks? I'm waffling between $60 for a set of DigitaLIZA masks (120+135), or $80+ for one BetterScanning 120 holder. The negative holders that come with the V500 are pretty lovely.

The Betterscanning holder is way more than $20 worth better than the Digitaliza.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Reichstag posted:

As a rule, scanner software for consumer scanners is nightmarish at best, single button at worst. Apparently the Imacon and various drum scanning softwares are quite good, but for the rest of us it's a lesser of very-close-levels-of-evil thing.

Nope, drum scanning software is a piece of poo poo too. At least it's got the extra power that comes with the drum scanner features (focus, aperture, etc.).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Anti-Derivative posted:

just grabbed a V500.

How long does it normally take you to scan 35mm positives???

My settings are

4800dpi
24 bit colour
no corrections except for ICE. (should i be using the unsharp mask??)
TIFF files.

it took like 20 loving minutes. Is that normal? Are my settings a bit unreasonable?

4800dpi is way beyond what the V500 optics are actually capable of. Try 2400dpi.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Anti-Derivative posted:

I'm *really* used to digital cameras which are more ... forgiving ... when it comes to obtaining a decent exposure.

I... I don't understand... :psyduck:

Are you shooting slide film?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

My eye is guessing 35mm, I'm curious if I'm right.

A hint of the rebate at the top of a portrait orientation image tells me 645.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
This is what happens when I rely on zone focus because the rangefinder on my XA is badly out of calibration :downsgun:

Pylsur by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Thanks to Man_of_Teflon, though, I have a new, perfectly calibrated XA! :neckbeard:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

Does Man_of_Teflon know how to make the rangefinder patch visible again on an XA?

I didn't get mine fixed, I just bought another one :o:

Dim rangefinder patch usually means you just need a good cleaning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs posted:

acros good, but picture severely overexposed because of wrong metering

acros grain in nearly blown-out areas bad

You just need to shoot larger formats. :v: I didn't see any weird grain in this shot overexposed by 7 stops...