Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Only what was out of the canister will be toast, everything still in it will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Cannister posted:

Color:
Kodak Portra 160NC
Kodak Portra 160VC
Kodak Portra 400NC
Kodak Portra 800NC
Kodak Ektar 100
Kodak Ektachrome E100G

I'd suggest giving Fuji Provia 100F if you're going to give Ektachrome E100G a shot, personally I find Fuji's slide offerings to be a little better than Kodak's. And of course, don't forget Ektar 100.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Neopan 1600 pushed to 3200.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Stregone posted:

Yeah but dealing 1000 negatives is alot more difficult than 1000 digital files :p

It's pretty easy to lose 1000 digital files

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you've got a local lab, make sure to use it - I can get E-6 120 developed same-day :cool:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Definitely underexposing.

edit: and apparently those are 100F, which definitely has a slightly different look than 50.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Does anyone know of a good reference book on making RA-4 prints? Figured I'd ask here instead of the print thread as it's a bit more faster-moving.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

C-41 isn't easy enough for home development?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Make your own! :science:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Walgreens sells 10mL oral syringes real cheap, great for HC-110.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Citizens is totally my favorite lab. Nice dudes working there.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Plastic reels are super super easy with 120. The only time I've ever had a problem loading was when I had the rollers slightly wet.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

That's the right one. I believe they're 'compact' because you can bring them down to 135 size when not in use.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

But the P67 lenses actually get into Hasselblad territory of resolving power, so why not? :V

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Developed film is fine, exposed is not.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

██████████████♫LIKE!♫██████████████
██████████♫My Favorites♫♫ ████████████
►►►►►►►►►►GREAT:)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you're using one-shot, I think you can just throw your film in the developer without removing remjet if it's alkaline. Should be pretty easy to 'brush off' afterwards.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Don't scratch your wet emulsions.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the posted:

Can you guys go into a little bit more detail on this? The -/+ explanation was really helpful, but it looks like I don't see that on my camera.

For example, right now I'm shooting on ISO 400 film, and I have my camera set to f/1.8 and 1/125 shutter speed.

When I look through the lens I see:

M 125 1.8

Nothing indicating I'm about to overexpose the shot, which I believe I am since it's an extremely bright sunny day and I'm pointing out the window.

Can you just read your manual and come back to us? Holy poo poo.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

the seems to think that the camera is metering when you hold it up to your face without pressing any buttons.

the seems to think a lot of stupid things about photography

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the posted:

As you can see I'm making an effort to do that. Thanks for pointing out that spot in the manual, I must have missed that the first read through!

Have you considered digital? It seems like instant feedback is better for someone of the "can't pay attention" generation.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the posted:

lmao

The last time we talked about digital I got a thread gassed. I like working with film, despite my learning difficulties.

And, judging by that thread, it seems like you're working with film for the wrong reasons.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

soap

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Not rumors:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2156493/kodak-discontinues-colour-reversal-films

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mannequin posted:

My impression was that the meter took in the light coming at it and deduced that at a given aperture, X shutter speed was required. It didn't care if you were metering for a white sign or a black one because the meter was aimed at the direction that the light was coming from. So, theoretically, it should make a white sign white look white and a black sign black look black, and there shouldn't really be over/under exposure (barring, of course, any intricacies with the camera/lens configuration where if you get a meter reading for 1/2505 at 5.6 you are safer to meter at 1/125. That's kind of a separate issue).

The meter is going to read the black sign as grey and the white sign as grey. Meters read grey. If you point a meter at the sky it's going to see a higher EV than if you pointed at the pavement. Spend a few hours playing outside with your meter and learn how to interpret the readings it gives you into a proper exposure.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mannequin posted:

Well, sometimes the sky is the light source, especially if it's diffused and gray. In the examples I tried outside last week I aimed the meter to where the camera was going to be. The dome was not facing the sign, so it didn't know if the sign was white or black. All it knew was the amount of light hitting the dome. My assumption, and perhaps this is where I went wrong, was that it would see the light coming in and specify a shutter speed at the given aperture. But like I said, I wasn't aiming the meter at the sign so it didn't know what color it was. Sometimes I found that aiming directly at the camera gave me incorrect results, and aiming closer up towards the source of the light was more accurate. I haven't had enough experience practicing this so I guess I just have to run it through some more tests.

If you pointed your meter towards a light bulb, would you expect it to meter correctly? The light source is not what you should be metering - you should be metering your dome where the light is falling.

My method is to consider what kind of light is falling onto the subject. If the subject is lit in constant light (say, an overcast sky), I put the meter over my head (so that it's facing the direction the camera is facing) and pick the resultant EV. If the subject is lit in a constant light that's not the same as where I'm standing (maybe a building lit at night), I go and stand where the light is similar to my subject and meter there, facing the camera. Sometimes these need adjustments, and over time you'll start to understand a reasonable EV for each situation based on what you've shot in the past.

Sometimes you also need to hold the dome at different angles - how much of the light source is falling on the subject?Is the sky too bright? You need to take the whole scene into account before putting the settings into your camera. It's just a guide.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mannequin posted:

No, there was a white sign stuck on a fence. I took the meter and pointed it at the camera. The back of the meter was facing the sign. I took the shot at the given exposure and found that it was overexposed. The camera was in manual mode. ISO, aperture, shutter speed, were all based on the settings from the meter. Then I took a second reading by aiming upwards towards the clouds. It was the difference between 1/125 and 1/250, and the latter was the winning exposure. I was following the directions from the manual and from what I knew about incident reading and it was not giving me proper exposure. So I guess sometimes you have to just do a little bit of educated guesswork and you will find success. Now I think I've said everything I need to say on this topic.

Do you scan your negatives yourself? If you do, I doubt you're using film with a low enough DR that you couldn't handle the highlights during scanning.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

Well, never mind. I just downloaded the newest version and got the Demo license and all that. Everything seems to work fine now. The color profiles definitely seem better than Vuescan though.

The auto frame detection is pretty terrible (or I'm doing it wrong). Epson scan seems to do it perfect 95% of the time (unless the frame is very underexposed then it does weird things).

You might be better off making your own "film profile" by scanning all of your negatives as positives and inverting/making a curves action in Photoshop. Frame detection sucks in Epson Scan, too, but just not as much ;).

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Point the dome at the light source, not the camera :-)

Not always true, but this is what the whole "learning to interpret your meter" thing is all about.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Is your scanner glass completely clean? If there's glass in the calibration area your scans can get strange lines.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

I have a roll of Fuji Pro 400H that I bought a while back. Am I correct in my understanding of it as a slightly less flexible Portra?

Lots of grain, magenta tinge on overcast days. I bought a box as a Portra replacement and I was seriously disappointed.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What would you expect from Lomo film? The entire point of it is that it's absolute junk.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

It's passable for seeing what you shot. And I've seen perfectly fine scans from cellphones for web presentation. Please save your elitism for your next gallery exhibition.

Looking at your negative through a window is a pretty passable way to see what you've shot, but you don't see me advocating it as a scanning method.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Print film has more exposure latitude than digital can ever dream of. What world are you in?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Anti-Derivative posted:

i mean that i over and underexpose photos all the time because I am used to relying on a digital histogram, and yeah - that I can't just take the shot again when I get it wrong.

Learning how to meter correctly is a very large part of photography.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I wouldn't trust my film to a supermarket. What's wrong with sending out somewhere like NCPS or Dwayne's?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

"Compatible" is not the same. ECN-2, even without the remjet, is not the same as C-41. Ask Photo Engineer on APUG how to do it and prepare to be scolded into oblivion by an old chemist.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Portra 800?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sweaty changing tents are disgusting, and Hoganing your canisters is the only way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

Itts only between frames and very slightly on one frame. Ill take a picture. I'm guessing I didn't wash well enough or my hypo clear is bad or something, but I tried snipping a piece off the end and refixing / re washing and it persisted. The fixer was brand new and cleared a snip of film in like a minute so I don't think that was it.

e: might as well just edit this in. Do any more experienced nighttime photographers have tips on exposure? I way overexposed a lot of my shots last night, as previously stated was using pan F because that was all i had left, b&w wise.

This had to be pulled from the depths of hell in the scanner, it was a 5 minute exposure at f/11. Probably could have done about half that and been okay. although i did order a bunch of tri-x so i can just push it to oblivion and use normal shutter speeds

How are you metering?