Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

breathstealer posted:

The best kind of film is free film. A friend of mine just cleared out his fridge and gave it all to me, because he doesn't want to shoot expired stuff. And so here's the loot, expired between 1998 and 2002:

Jeebus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I've recently found the darkroom to be my new sanctuary. I've been making prints the last few weekends from rolls of film I shot over the last year. It's very therapeutic!

Nothing to informative or significant to add, just glad a public darkroom opened up in town. :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just a heads up, Freestyle Photo is selling Arista II ISO400 35mm 24exp rolls in 20 count packs for $25. From what I've read, it's relabelled Agfa.

I got two. :v:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I need to get some 120 C41 souped and scanned (I have a scanner but would prefer to have some 'decent' ones done with development). Before sending it off to Dwayne's I just wanted to see if anybody had any other suggestions for mail order development -- Dwayne's is pretty good in my experience but I'm always open to other ideas. :)

Tangent to this question: When mailing in film (35mm/120) what type of mailer should be used? Does it need to be lined in any way or rigid? Is 120 safe if it's just wound around the roll and taped like normal?

Inquiring minds want to know!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

MrMeowMeow posted:

I hadn't even thought of buying bulk online and doing mail processing. Should I be looking at freestylephoto.biz for mail processing or somewhere else?

I'm looking for a new lens to accompany my 50mm 1.8 and I mainly shoot nature stuff, so I guess I'd be interested in a wide angle. Any recommendations on what I should get for my canon ae-1?

Oh and one last question, can lenses mounted on an AE-1 autofocus, or are they always manual?

The AE-1 hails from a time before autofocus was invented. As far as a wide-angle lens, I'd suggest a 28 or 35mm lens. KEH carries lots of 3rd party 28mm lenses for under $15.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Luxmore posted:

Canon made a few FD-mount AF lenses; I know I had a 35-70mm in the store a few months ago. They take AA batteries :D
We do not speak of such abomination! :ssh:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

gib posted:

Diafine lasts an insanely long time.

Can someone tell me what the hell is going on in this photo?

and this one

Both are on Fujicolor 100 or Superia 100 on a Zeiss Ikon. This white thing shows up in a bunch of the shots on that roll, especially near the end. I was changing lenses a bit, but these may both have been shot with a 3rd-gen 50mm Summicron, which I guess isn't known for flare resistance. Although, I used the same lens for tons of shots on other rolls and on the digital with no flare problems. This doesn't look like regular flare to me anyway. The security guys at Heathrow refused to hand-check my film, and insisted that they had done "extensive testing" proving that their x-ray machines wouldn't damage film. The problem occurs in different places on each frame.

What is this? Light leak? Improper development? Some crazy sort of flare?

You's hainted! :tinfoil:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Back_From_Termina posted:

I came across this tutorial on how to use instant coffee to develop black-and-white film, so I gave it a shot and thought I'd share the results.

I've got a friend who does this but he seems to be unable to load the film properly because he'll shoot a roll of 120 w/ his 6x6 Yashica TLR and only get about 7 good pics. I haven't seen the negatives but the way he describes them makes them sound like they're not loaded in the reel right and are touching while he's developing.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pwn posted:

For people who have bought bodies from keh.com: What's the most reasonable grade you would personally buy? The difference between BGN and LN is quite a lot, as far as price is concerned, so hopefully someone can shed light on this.

I've gotten 3 Mamiya M645 bodies and an RB67 body from KEH, all rated BGN. BGN is for things that work perfectly but look ugly. And ugly is subjective.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Frinkahedron posted:

I borrowed an AE-1 from a friend to see if I wanted to start playing with film again. Turns out I got bit by the film bug hard, so I'm looking to get an AE-1 of my own. Is ebay generally a good place for photo equipment this old? I'm worried that I'll get one and have light leaks or something when I get it.

That said, how much would it cost to get one serviced?

I've always gotten the bodies from eBay and lenses from KEH for Canon FD mount gear.

Garry's Camera charges $53 including shipping for clean, lube and adjust (CLA) of a Canon AE-1.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mannequin posted:

In terms of medium format, would any of my current Nikon F-mount lenses work, or would I have to get something specific to medium format? I basically know nothing about this.

You'll need lenses for the format you choose as they're made to project an image circle large enough to cover the entire frame. The F-mount Nikkor lenses would only project to cover 36mm x 24mm, which falls short of 60mm x 60mm of a 6x6 medium format.

And as an aside, I can sell you a Mamiya M645 kit if you're interested. I'm in New Orleans for the New Year, but PM me or find me on AIM sometime.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

hybr1d posted:

As much as I hate double replies, here it goes. I've currently got an Epson 4490, and my LF habit has me looking at a scanner that can accomodate 4x5's with a larger backlight. I am looking at the V500 and V700 - can anyone provide an opinion on either? I think the V700 is the only one with a backlight big enough to do 4x5's, and with my experience with MF on the 4490 I am thinking about getting a Better Scanning film holder for the new one.

The V500's Transparency Unit is large enough for scanning 120/220 strips. If you want to do whole 4"x5" sheet film scans, you'll need the V700 or the time and patience to scan parts of the 4x5 neg and stitch it together.

I too am looking at the V500 but I don't shoot LF, so it'll do everything I need.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HPL posted:

I know this sounds like heresy, but does anyone make medium format lenses with fast apertures like f/1.4? And can you get 120 or 220 film in ISO 800 or 1600?

Mamiya made an 80mm F/1.9 for the Manual 645. That's the fastest I've seen for any medium format lenses, but I'm only personally familiar with M645 and RB67.

Ilford makes ISO3200 B&W. Kodak and Fuji make ISO800 C-41 color negative film. If you've got a lab you trust, you can push Provia 400 one or two stops.

V - :ohdear:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 15, 2009

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Stregone posted:

Is there anything on the net that gives step by step instructions on how to develop my own black and white film? I've googled the subject but can only come up with sites that talk vaguely about it like I already know what to do, or sites that talk about what developer to use with what film and the pros/cons etc.

You essentially need 3 chemicals, a reel, a light sealed tank and a dark place to put the film on the reel and into the tank.

Step 1: You get in the dark place, open the exposed film, put it on the reel, put the reel in the tank and put the large lid on the tank.

Step 2: You pour in the developer and follow the directions for that developer and that film. Each film has a different development time for each developer. It's usually on the inside of the box, but you can find out times on the megacompendium: http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Step 3: Pour out developer and pour in the stop bath. Follow the directions that come with the chemicals but I usually do about 3-5 minutes of agitation/inversion for thoroughness. YMMV.

Step 4: Pour out the stop bath and pour in the fixer. Rapid fixer takes 3-5 minutes, regular 5-10 minutes.

Step 5: Pour out the fixer and take the reel out of the tank. Film off the reel and hang it from a clip somewhere to dry.

That's a simplified version. 8th-samurai has an in-depth version posted at the beginning of this thread on page 1 :holy:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gnomad posted:

My first "good" SLR was the Minolta X700 on the right. Gnoma'am gifted me with the X700 right after they came on the market and I definitely got my use out of it. A lot of film has gone through this camera and it's been all over the place, sadly, somewhere along the way it fell on the lens and broke the f-stop ring behind the lens. It still works in full manual mode but the metering is irretrievably off, no matter what setting I use the exposure is off the chart overexposed. I have considered trolling ebay for a parts camera, as I really liked the X700 and know how to work it but decided that it was too much like work and I would just sunny 16 it until the shutter dies.

And then, today, I find the X700 on the left. This one is in perfect condition. Not a scratch on it. The plastic sheet is still on the bottom, there were no batteries, no wear marks on the film plate or in the film chamber anywhere. It shows every sign of being a new camera. I found it at a Salvation Army store with the f1.4 lens for the princely sum of $8.50.

Initial dry firing with the batteries from the old X700 was successful so I loaded it with film and I'm going to run a roll through it. I'm just so astonished at the condition of this camera, and I won't be using it for parts.

http://garryscamerarepair.com/ You can get that wonky X700 CLA'd for $48 total. I've sent three cameras to him for repair and all came back good and clean.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HPL posted:

Okay, crazy idea time. Buy an old film autofocus EOS to use with my EF lenses. Good idea or bad?

Good idea. I've got a Rebel S but I want to get an old 1 or 1N eventually.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Tested my scanner today! This is all film shot over my holiday break with my wife. Minolta X-700 with a 58 F/1.4 and 28 F/2.8

Zibby, my wife, and JoBot! (Arista II ISO400 pushed to 800)

Fur hoodie on the NOLA streetcar! (Ektar 100)

My wife at the Frenchman Hotel! (Kodak Gold 200)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HPL posted:

What scanner?

Oops, forgot to mention that :ohdear:

Epson V500

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HPL posted:

Nice. I've been looking around for a V500 but of course now that I'm actually looking for one, the price got jacked up $25. :argh:

I got mine from B&H, but I had a $100 gift card from Christmas :coal:

It's $175 at B&H but it's back-ordered again. I waited 3 weeks for it to be in stock again before I could order it. :holy:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Aside from spending money on film and lenses, I also threw out a small bid on ebay for a Calumet 4x5.

And I won it . $86 total.

My wife is going to be pissed :3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

hybr1d posted:

I highly recommend giving the print paper as negatives a try- although I didn't do it, my 4x5 negative development killed me for a while on my b&w budget. Getting 4x5 negs developed is far more expensive from labs than roll film, and the darkroom developing gear seems to be pretty pricey too.

I'm fortunate in having options here. There's a local shop that will develop B&W 4x5 negatives for $1 a sheet (5 sheet min.) or I can use the shop's darkroom and gear to develop myself at $10/hr.

They also have everything for enlargements should I decide to make prints from the negatives.

It's a great place.

Edit for more info: I talked to the owner and he wants to order some Shanghai film to test. He told me he'd rent me pre-loaded film holders for the 4x5 with a total cost of $5/holder. The $5 covers $1 per sheet of film, $1 for development per sheet of film and $0.50 loading fee per sheet. That pretty much covers his cost on a 50 sheet pack of ISO100 4x5 and lets him play with it while I learn on cheap film! Hooray!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 23, 2009

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gnomad posted:

While cleaning up around the house, I found an Argus C3 and a roll of C41 BW film, so I took it as a sign and ran the film through the old Argus. Since I was burning some vacation time, I spent a couple hours tromping through new snow up at Hatchers Pass, 50 miles north of Anchorage and the playground of southcentral Alaska.

I like these! Good job!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, Dwayne's is the last remaining place to process it. I actually have a roll of exposed k64 (and 4 unexposed) I want to get developed, but goddamn it's expensive.

People on photo.net swear up and down that you can drop K64 off at Wal-Mart who then sends it to Dwayne's. It's apparently cheaper and takes slightly longer than sending to Dwayne's yourself.

Source. (posted in 2007)

Edit: My 12 rolls of Superia Reala 120 and 25 rolls of Arista.EDU ISO200 B&W 120 came in but it's raining and will rain all week. :sweatdrop:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 28, 2009

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

zmikel posted:

Anyone have any advice on techniques of printing with more than one filter?
No advice per se, butI have made prints using two filters before with negatives that had to be pushed two stops. The contrast filters helped pull a little detail out of the negative. I believe I used a #00 to get a base image and a #4 to make the contrast pop out.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

CanuckBassist posted:

I really like the look of this picture. I like the blacks and contrast. Is this achieved in the developing process?

If that's a scanned film frame, then it's exposure + development. If it's a scanned print, it's exposure + development + print/enlargement technique.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HPL posted:

I'm looking at the Mamiya M645 system and it's looking like an attractive option too. The M645 Pro body, 55mm f/2.8 lens and AE prism finder should do me to start, right?

I'm thinking down the road a second 120 film back for swapping between ISO 400 and ISO 1600 film would be good as well as the 80mm f/1.9 lens.

It's 6x4.5 but from what I gather it shoots in landscape by default instead of portrait like some 6x4.5 cameras, so that's better for me.

I've got a Mamiya M645 1000S w/ the 55 F/2.8, 80 F/1.9, 150 F/3.5, waistlevel finder and CdS metering prismfinder and it's an amazing system. The negatives are landscape by default and the 55 F/2.8 is a good choice for a wide angle lens. I think you'd be happy with an M645 kit.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

God-damned Pilates posted:

I just got a used used Minolta XD-5 off ebay, and naturally, the seller's description of "perfect" left much to be desired (such as, say, light seals). The major problem is that the shutter decides when to return more or less when it feels like it. I know to go get a CLA for the camera, but is there anything I might be able to do to clear this up? I'm pretty handy with cars/motorcycles and computers as far as the physical repair of either is concerned, but I worry about tiny, tiny parts getting lost or damaged, and I don't know enough about internals to know "if you touch this part here, the sweat will damage it" or whatever.

Anybody have any tips? This isn't an emergency; I have my SRT as well :)

Garry's Camera Repair will fix that XD-5 for $53 total.

http://garryscamerarepair.com

You might be able to find schematics for taking it apart. It sounds like the shutter mechanism is gunked up.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Lambster Bisque posted:

Oh you actually own the camera? Well that's awesome then. I wish I could afford LF :(

You can find deals out there from time to time. I got essentially the same camera he has (Calumet 4x5) on ebay for $80. All it needed was film holder(s), a lens, and a lens board. Ended up reselling it locally for $80 because I didn't have time to get into it.

So have hope!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Today's happy film camera story comes from Craigslist. I found an ad for a Canon AE-1 Program w/ lens for $30 and an EOS 850 w/ 50mm lens for $70. I e-mailed the seller and was able to snag the EOS 850 kit. The AE-1 was already spoken for, sadly. I haggled via e-mail and talked the seller down to $60. Score!

I get to the meeting place (Walmart parking lot :bravo2:) and check out the EOS 850 and it turns out that it's a 50mm F/1.8 Mk I. And the seller was a high-school aged girl with her mom. :sweatdrop:

I gave her $80 so I wouldn't feel so guilty for selling the lens for $160 later :coal:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyone interested in a film swap? I'm probably not the only person who buys in bulk, and it'd be cool to have some more variety. Heck, still I've got two rolls of 120 (Ilford 400 and Portra 400) and don't even own a functional medium format camera anymore.

I also ask because 10 rolls of Portra 160 showed up at my door today, and it'd probably take me a long time to go through it. Kodak was giving away some expired old stock they had laying around in their vaults through Flickr, I found out about it through RFF and didn't think to post about it here until the next day... by then it was all long gone :smith:

I've got some Arista II 400 135-24 from Freestyle when they were clearing out the Arista II line. PM me if you're interested in a swap! :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Last weekend I brought my EOS 3 and 430EX to a party. It was a themed party in honor of the movie we were watching that night. 1950's dress (optional) for the Hitchcock masterpiece "The Rear Window."

I shot on three rolls of film:

1 Roll of Arista II 400 @ ISO 400
1 Roll of Arista II 400 @ ISO 800
1 Roll of Arista EDU 100 @ ISO 400

I developed all three rolls at the same time using Diafine (thanks Clayton Bisby!) and fixed w/ Kodak Rapid Fix.

I scanned them with my Epson V500 and didn't do anything fancy.

My favorites are:

The rest are here: http://3l337.org/gallery/Hitchcock_Party

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Martytoof posted:

Fronkpies, you might want to invest in a small funnel if you're going to be pouring a batch of fixer back into it's container, as you should. Go to a dollar store and pick one up. I think it's essential because good luck pouring that smelly poo poo back into a thin necked bottle otherwise.

Quoting this to remind myself I need one. When I developed the film yesterday, the fix left my entire house smelling like catfood.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

killabyte posted:

Leaving your film in the Diafine (1 hour in each part, or 30 mins in each?) for an hour is totally pointless. It's probably not harming anything but thats just making your dev take longer. The diafine, unlike developers like Xtol or D76, exhausts itself in the film pretty quickly.

Yeah. 5 mins in part A, 5 in part B. Ta-daaaaaaaaaaa.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

MIRV Griffin posted:

...FD lenses?

Yeeeeees?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mannequin posted:

Do any of you know if it's possible to buy any remaining Kodachrome that isn't expired by 10+ years? Even if I just buy one roll... time is running out, I would like to get one done just for the hell of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Rolls-KODACHROME-64-Kodak-Select-24-Exp-Outdated-/330459862613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 ?

edit: Fixed

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 14, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mannequin posted:

Your link doesn't work, buddy.

Fine <:mad:>

Fresher link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodachrome-64-35mm-36-exp-Slide-Film-05-2007-/120608207071
5 packs of 2007 expired Kodachrome 64 36 exp http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Rolls-Kodachrome-64-35mm-36-exp-Slide-Film-05-2007-/120608577745

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 14, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Martytoof posted:

Can you expand on this? How does it work?

Paul Muaddib's article is an excellent write up of how it works.

Diafine is an arcane and black magick. But it's really nice to use since it lasts forever and is pretty much time, temperature and ISO agnostic.

I developed 4 rolls of film in a single tank that were shot accordingly:

ISO 100 shot @ 400
ISO 400 shot @ 400
ISO 400 shot @ 800
ISO 400 shot @ 1600

It took five minutes in Bath A, five minutes in Bath B and 5 minutes in my fixer. Ta-da!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

evil_bunnY posted:

The A2e was for the American market, I don't think I've ever seen one here!

The A2e is the same as the European EOS 5.
Edit: And I reed gud. Sorry guys.

Most of the Canon cameras take a 2CR5 battery. Having one handy would help test long-neglected cameras. Also, bring a lens to test the contacts and make sure the camera's electronics are still good.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 12, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Captain Briney posted:

(I think you can use diafine more than once but I'm not sure)

Since Diafine is a two-part developer, you can reuse the liquids. You soak the film in Part A for minimum 3 minutes, allowing the film to absorb it. Pour the Part A back into your storage container then pour in Part B. Part B only reacts with the Part A in the film, after three more minutes you pour the leftover Part B back into its storage container.

It's like MAGIC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

plaz posted:

So anyway! I'd love to have a run around with it and try taking some shots; is it worth spending money on taking it to someone to get it cleaned and looked at?

http://www.garryscamera.com/ is where I sent all my Canon AE-1's for CLA. The SRT will cost you $45 for CLA. It's totally worth getting cleaned up and repaired. Then you can shop https://www.keh.com for cheap lenses!