Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I'm thinking about Buying a Bessa R3M w/ 50/2 lens. Any thoughts? I am interested in trying a rangefinder out. My requirements are that the camera have a light meter and be reasonably affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

gib posted:

Meters in RFs are nice if for no other reason than they let you know when you've left the lens cap on.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the R3M package with the Heliar. Looks like a nice well made camera.

Someone will have to explain to me these rangefinder metering comments I see around? I'd never buy an SLR without a meter so I don't quite understand why I would want a rangefinder without one.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Well, I got the Bessa R3M kit. It comes in a really nice presentation box.

It seems very nice. The camera feels very solid, even more so than my SRT-101 and about on par with my F3.

The heliar lens is nice, very compact. I'm impressed how small rangefinder lenses are. The lens is very heavy for it's size. The collapsible feature is a bit gimmicky in my opinion, though it would be cool to have a lens that collapses down very small.

I will try to run some film through it this weekend if I get a chance.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
I need some ideas or anyone with experience on develping ancient film.

I was cleaning out my closet in my bedroom at my parent's house and found an undeveloped roll of Tri-X from the mid 90s. I want to try and develop it and see what exactly is on there because I took a lot of really hosed up pictures when I was a kid so I bet it will be fairly amusing.

I have Diafine and D76 at my disposal. Which one should I try? I am thinking I will go for the Diafine. Would the D76 be a better option? At least the Diafine takes the guessing game out.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

Diafine. It will reduce the fog on the film, I have seen 70 year old negs come out printable with that stuff.

An update:

I just finished developing the film. It is hanging dry right now. I used standard 3+3 diafine and fixed it in Kodafix (I really need to get a non hardening fixer). They look somewhat overexposed. There's about 15 usable images from the roll of 24. The film looks to be circa 1994-1996.

The images consist of some bizarre looking self portraits, a few pictures of my television set, a couple pictures of my computer, a picture of my dog, my brother, and my backyard.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

They look overexposed? Or are they really light? Hardening fixers just make washing the film take longer there shouldn't be any other difference in modern films.

Yeah, I made the hardening fixer comment because it sucks washing film for 25 minutes.

The pictures are overexposed but not too bad. They are extremely grainy.

It's funny, I have been looking through the pictures (they are very mundane pictures) and I narrowed the date down to Memorial day weekend of 1995. There was a calendar on the wall in the picture of my bedroom. All the days were X'd out up to May 27th. There was also a nice stack of Pogs sitting in my windowsill. I would have been in the 6th grade.

killabyte fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 30, 2008

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Lambster Bisque posted:

Here's some hastily shot pics of my current collection. When I moved from Australia to Scotland about 6 months ago I came with a duffel bag containing about 4 shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, and 5 cameras ... (I've built on it some, since then)

"MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN" Olympus Six

What do you think of the Olympus Six? Do you shoot with it much?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Lambster Bisque posted:

I love it, it was a gift/loan from my girlfriends grandfather. I've only had a chance to run a few rolls of film through it - but when I finally spring for an Epson 4490 or something of the sort (in the next week or so) I'll scan up some of the negs so we can both see just what sort of shots I'm getting out of it. So far the initial impressions are really good though, it has a really nice feel to shooting with it, second only to my Leica-clone FED.

I just bought an Epson V500 scanner and it seems to work pretty well. Try one of the windows live ebay deals to get one at a good price.

I'm interested to see how the Olympus Six performs. I would love to have a semi compact medium format camera.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Snaily posted:

So my Diafine finally arrived (got stuck in customs, :10bux:x 5 lost there). At least it turns out I was sent a gallon while ordering a quart. Also got a hugeass changing bag and some Minox film, so I'm ready to roll. Is it a bad idea to only mix up like a pint of each of the solutions? I don't have any gallon-sized airtight bottles at the moment.

Also, I have some Tri-X and a roll of Minopan 400 that were shot at their nominal EI - how would I go about developing them in Diafine without overdeveloping?

Edit: Minopan 400 == APX 400

You really can't develop them in Diafine without overdeveloping, especially the Tri-X. Tri-X in Diafine is rated at between 1200-1600. Developing it in Diafine is going to lead to a 3 stop overdevelop.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That's complete and utter poo poo and I suspect you have never used Diafine or any similar developer (or you'd find out like everyone else that Tri-X is nowhere near the rated 1600 but rather closer to 1k if you care at all about shadows). Because of the two step solution and lack of real agitation, the developer will wear out in the highlights before overdeveloping. I generally shoot Tri-X and Plus-X at box speed and have not once 'overdeveloped' a neg. They come out gorgeous, and because of the way Diafine works you are unlikely to ever gently caress up exposure or development too badly. Sounds like magic? Probably is, but as long as I get great negs I am not going to argue with it.

edit: PS, 1600 is two stops away from 400, not 3.

Chill the gently caress out. I have used Diafine. It's sitting in my closet right now. I've never shot Tri-X at 400 and developed it in Diafine, except for a 15 year roll that I don't take too much stock in, but have never read of anyone besides yourself doing it. Everything I've read on other forums seems to suggest that ~1200 is about as low as people generally go in it.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

brad industry posted:

Anyone want to recommend a cheap place to get 120 developed in the Bay Area?

Where in the bay area? Foto Express is pretty good and they have a few locations. They do 120 C-41, E-6 same day.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Does anyone have any Rodinal developing tricks or advice? I like what I have seen with it on slow speed films. I tried developing some Plus X 120 in Rodinal last night and the roll did not turn out well. It was easily scratchable and the image was rubbing right off. I am not sure if something happened with the fixer, or what.

What is the recommended agitation? I did 30 seconds to start and 5 inversions each minute.

Is an acid stop batch recommended? I did a water agitation for 30 seconds.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

Things like this wouldnt happen if everyone listened to me and did regular clip tests.

Well, I have only used this batch of fixer for about ~10 rolls and the batch is only about a month old, so I wasn't too worried about it.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

TokenBrit posted:

I've signed up for 2 classes in using a darkroom (2 x 2 hour sessions) and should have a clue by the end of it. There's a camera club near me which has enlargers, scanners, chemicals, dark rooms, cutters, everything, but they obviously want you to be accredited before they let you loose on their equipment.

I shoot Nikon DSLR, so I've got some Nikon full frame lenses to start with. (50mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2.8 micro, 300mm f/4.5 AI-S ED-IF and hopefully a wider lens of sorts soon). Do I buy an FM2n, or do I spend a little more money and get a medium format camera? I'm tempted by the medium format because I have a 35mm style SLR already (albeit digital) so the MF camera will be new and fun.

I'm tempted by a Mamiya RB67, or maybe some sort of 645. I'd also like a 6x6 because square format just appeals to me, but I haven't seen any in my price range yet. Any advice for hot buys? If you really feel like picking something out for me, there are good UK prices at https://www.ffordes.com I don't really want to spend much more than £250-300 for a camera with a lens as I'm not 100% sure I'll stick at it, to be quite honest. I think I'll still use my D300 as my main camera, but I'd like to use film cameras for some specific projects I have in mind or perhaps to get a more interesting take on a photo in a studio. D300 for shots to give to the model, Medium Format for me to play with later.

Should I get something with a meter or just accept that I'll need to buy a meter? I plan on getting into studio photography soon so I suppose it wouldn't be a bad investment.

Have you considered a Bronica ETRSI? I picked one up with a speedgrip, 75 mm lens, 120 back for less than $300. It's a nice solid combo.

edit: To echo Clayton Bigsby, If you want Square format, see the Bronica SQ series. A bit more expensive but not by much.

If you have those Nikon lenses you might also consider a used F100. Easily one of the best modern SLRs around.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How are the Russian FED rangefinders? I'm thinking of buying a Bessa R3A down the road, but wanted to try out something cheaper to see how I like using a rangefinder with interchangeable lenses first. I realize the Bessa is a much nicer camera (as are the lenses, although most of the Russian lenses should work on it), but I want to test the waters with something cheap before I put down that kind of cash. I'm looking more at size/convenience of use than optical quality par excellance.

For a lightmeter, what's something fairly compact and light that I can slip in a pocket or slide on to the hotshoe? What lenses from the Jupiter lineup are generally recommended/not recommended?

I know they're Russian, but are they at least somewhat reliable? I've had one LC-A and now a pair of Olympus XA's die on me and I'm kind of sick of having things break. At least FED's are cheap...

So I recently bought a Bessa R3M kit. I am actually looking to sell it if you are interested. I decided I would rather use a Leica M3. I only put a few rolls through it and it is in great condition.

As far as a lightmeter, I use a Sekonic L208. It is very small and fits on a hotshoe and is only about $100. It seems accurate enough.

As far as Russian stuff, the Jupiter-8 is the most highly regarded of all the Jupiter lenses. The Industar-22 is also good. I have both of these lenses. The reason they are good is that they are copies of Zeiss / Leica lenses. Keep in mind you are going to need an adapter to use these lenses on a bayonet mount camera like the R3A if you ever get one.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

Borders aside, under 800 is fine. I took ISO 400 film to Europe, and it got scanned twice on each side, came out looking fine.

I'm always scared of that. I always ask for my film to be hand checked at the airport. Usually they complain and ask if I have anything over 800 ISO, so what I usually do is throw a roll of 1600 Fuji in the bag so that I can point to that.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Does anyone have any tips for cleaning up black and white negatives for scanning? Do any of these anti stat cloths or solutions work? Some are quite expensive.

I can deal with a little bit of dust in Photoshop pretty well but some of my negs are downright filthy and my attempts with brushes and Eclipse aren't cutting it.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

brad industry posted:

I don't like antistatic cloths because when you wipe down a negative you can drag a piece of dirt across and it scratch it.

Just use canned air and/or turn on ICE on your scanner. If they're really dirty you can always re-wash and Photoflo them.

I haven't had good luck with canned air. It just seems to blow dust around.

Digital ICE doesn't work with B&W negatives unfortuntely...

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Bunny Fiesta posted:

I'm thinking about getting into photography -- I was planning on going digital until I looked at this thread. Now I'm in love with the contrasty black and white look that film gives, you bastards. I do have a few questions, though.

I have no idea what would be a good camera to start with, but I saw the Nikon FM2 being tossed around earlier in the thread, and it sounded nice. On the other hand, the Mamiya 645E mentioned earlier in the thread sounds pretty neat too. The only thing about a medium format camera that puts me off is that I know even less than about lenses, film, and developing for medium format than I do for 35mm. Would I still be able to develop my own film relatively easily with medium format film?

I'm planning on taking pictures (B&W predominantly) of places (buildings rather than nature, if it should make a difference), and maybe people at fixed ranges, so I don't foresee being slowed down by manual focus becoming a problem. However, I also have no serious experience with photography of any type; please let me know if I'm completely off base here.

In short, all of the photos in this thread are awesome. Help me be like you.

Start with 35mm. Medium format is just as easy to develop but many of the cameras are more expensive and somewhat unwieldy. I think you should spend time with 35mm to see if you truly enjoy it.

Buy something cheap like an older Olympus or Pentax to start with. Keep your investment to a minimum. I wouldn't even start developing film right away. If you want to start with B&W, buy some rolls of Ilford XP2 Super. It is B&W film that can be developed at a drug store.

The investment in B&W can actually be fairly expensive. The chemicals and the equipment to develop is under $100, but you need to either buy an enlarger and have a darkroom to print or you need to buy a scanner tha works with film, otherwise you are going to get bored real quick.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

MrMeowMeow posted:

I was in here a while ago complaining about my camera possibly having a light leak. Turns out I'm just a dork and I was winding the film the wrong way once it was finished. :frogbon:
So whoever said it looked like sprocket agitation or whatever was dead-on.

I've decided that Velvia is super fantastic. I just got back my slides from the store yesterday and they're so sharp and the colors are amaaazing. It's so expensive though, especially when the price of scanning is added on. I don't know how anyone could afford to shoot velvia on a regular basis.

If you buy Velvia online in bulk and do mail processing it can be around $10 /roll.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
So, what kind of scanner do you guys use? I am finding the scans I am getting out of my Epson V500 on 35mm suck. I recently shot some Provia 400X (great film btw) and some Ektachrome and the scans I am getting are awful. The detail looks terrible and the colors look off as well. How much better would a Coolscan V be? Can anyone post comparisons of a flatbed vs a dedicated film scanner? I haven't been able to find any good comparisons.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Luxmore posted:

After trying to scan negatives with an Epson flatbed, I went ahead and spent the money on a Coolscan V, and the only thing I regret is not saving up for a Coolscan 9000. The scans from the V are infinitely superior in pretty much every way to the scans from my Epson 4490.

All I can say is buy the thing, you won't regret it.

Can you post a couple of examples? Some 100% crops would be cool if possible.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Back_From_Termina posted:

Sorry to keep coming back with problems, but I've got another one. For some reason I can't seem to get all of the fixer out of my negatives while washing anymore. Normally the Ilford method up to 30 inversions works fine, but the last 3 rolls I developed didn't work. I even went up to 80 inversions on all of them, and still my negatives are just a teensy bit purple. I don't think it's the fixer because I did a clip test and it's still clearing in a minute-and-a-half, so I don't know what the gently caress. Any ideas?

Edit: The only thing that's changed is since it's getting colder here my tap water temperature has gone down by about 3-4 degrees, could this be the reason? But even if it is, why wouldn't an additional 300 inversions make up for it?

I think some films have a slightly purplish look to them. The developer might have something to do with it. Others look fine. Tri-X in Diafine always looks a bit purple to me...that might be the worst offender. Acros comes out the clearest.

What kind of fixer are you using?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

MrMeowMeow posted:

Someone on here recommended Fuji 800 Pro Z as something nice to pick up, so I'm going to go get some tomorrow and I was wondering if 1600 color film exists, and if so, what kind should I grab?

1600 Superia exists. I have some in the freezer but I have never shot it.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

An awesome camera. It would make a nice compact travel MF camera...which is lacking in the market today.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Back_From_Termina posted:

I came across this tutorial on how to use instant coffee to develop black-and-white film, so I gave it a shot and thought I'd share the results.

I bought the goods to do that (washing soda is REALLY hard to find) but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Maybe I will try it tomorrow.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
The washing soda I ended up finding was by Arm and Hammer: Super Washing Soda. Comes in a huge box.

I can ship people a few oz of it they really want. PM me.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
I'm thinking about buying VueScan. Is it worthwhile?

Right now I have an Epson V500 and the images I am getting out of it with the Epson software look like crap. I tried to scan some 120 Velvia and the colors straight out of the scanner look awful and they seem very unsharp. Does VueScan have film profiles that can automate a lot of this? I'd rather not have to mess with each image in photoshop to make it look like Velvia.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I'd love a recommendation of a good high speed, contrasty film for concerts. I'm thinking of pulling out my old Elan 7e body and running some film through it again. For color I used to shoot Fuji NPZ 800 pulled to 640 to make sure my blacks were true and the colors were nice and rich. I can't remember what my favorite black and white was though... I believe I used T-Max and Ilford 3200 interchangeably. and looking back at prints I can't remember which yielded which prints.

This is what I'm looking for and I'm pretty sure this was with the Ilford but I can't find my negative to double check.

Have you considered Fuji Neopan 1600? That is a very contrasty film and I like the grain qualities. Easily my favorite high speed film.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I've never tried it, looking at some results though on GIS I like it's characteristics. I'll probably have to pick up a roll or two each of this, the Ilford Delta 3200, and T-Max 3200 and try them all in the same setting at a show.

I don't have the luxury of a darkroom at my apartment right now, is the Neopan something that my local labs should be able to develop for me?

You should be able to develop in your apartment just fine without a darkroom. I develop things all the time. I use a changing bag to get the film on to the reel and in to the tank. After that, there is no need for darkness.

A local lab can probably do it just fine, though. I'm not sure what developer they use. I use DD-X for it, though.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

ryangs posted:

What developer do you use with Efke? I always used D-76 1:1 (for everything) at school and have never experimented with anything else, but now that I need to buy my own chemicals, it's time.

Rodinal responds well to low speed film like Efke. Efke has an "old school" look. I also find Rodinal really easy to use because you really don't have to worry about the temperature of the rodinal, just the temperature of the water, which is much easier to manage.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Luxmore posted:

The F4 gets such a bad rap and I have no idea why; I love the way it handles and the autofocus is just fine.

Buy it and go nuts, it's my favourite Nikon AF camera and there's no reason it shouldn't be yours.

I don't think the F4 is compatible with "G" lenses which is a great reason to buy an F100 or F5...but if you have no intention of using a newer lens, the F4 is a good camera.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Pretty sure it works fine with G glass.

Only in Program and Shutter Priority.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
I just got a few rolls of Ektar 100 from Freestyle. Has anyone else tried it yet?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Well, I got around to trying a roll of Ektar 100 today. I drove up to Mt. Hamilton in San Jose where there is currently snow, which is a real novelty for the bay area. I thought it would be a nice place to test, with snow, blue skies, foliage, dark interiors, etc.

I had it processed at Costco and the Noritsu machine hosed up the scans and the prints. I am thinking I will just use Costco for developing from now on and skip the prints. There are lines and marks running through the scans and the prints. They are just prints of the Noritsu scans which look like crap anyways.

Anyways, back to the film. The grain is really tight. Even on the crap scans I can barely see any grain. It's a very saturated, contrasty film. Foliage really pops. It actually doesn't seem to have as much latitude as I am used to with color neg film but that's just my initial perception. It sort of looks like Ektachrome.

All in all, I really like it. I will try to scan and post some actual examples. The picture themselves are crap unfortunately.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Alright, here are a few samples from my Ektar 100 shoot. I shot the roll pretty quick so the images aren't anything special.

I went back to Costco and made them rescan the pictures because the other ones were awful. Even these scans aren't that great and have some dust spots on them.

Mt. Hamilton, San Jose, CA. Nikon F100, 14-24 f2.8 and 50 f1.8, Matrix Meter, Ektar 100.

No post processing at all has been done on these images and no filters were used at all.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

pwn posted:

I'm looking on Keh.com for a nice lil' used F4 and I see a lot of them are denoted "LEADER OUT MODIFIED." What does this mean and functionally what will it mean for me? Because there's this BGN F4e that is just singing out to me, but I just don't know what the implications of this leader out mod business are.

Just curious, for what reasons are you going with an F4?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
I'm thinking about buying another medium format camera. Currently I have a Bronica ETRSi and a Yashica-Mat. The bronica is nice but the quality from the 645 negative is not that much of a leap from 35mm. The Yashica-Mat is nice is and in pristine condition but the ground glass is dim and I don't much care for the TLR experience, even though they are quite trendy right now.

What I am looking at is a Pentax 67, a Fuji GSW690 (aka the "Texas Leica"), or possibly a Mamiya 7.

The Fuji is the cheapest of the bunch and has the biggest negative at 6x9, but the thing is comically large and I don't think it will fit well in any camera bag that I own. I can work around those two issues though, and the price is right at around $700.

The Pentax is also gigantic and heavy, but is an SLR, which I prefer. It's got interchangeable lenses, viewfinders, and a general reputation for quality. The price is around $500-600 as well depending on which lens I get.

The Mamiya 7 is also an interesting choice but would cost me around $1500 with a lens and everything. It is smaller and lighter than the other choice. The downside is the price and I have heard that the build quality is crap. I am not ruling it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

dunno posted:

I've heard plastic tanks might be trouble for stand/semi-stand development. True/False/Why?

I'm heading back to hc-110 (obscene dilutions) from diafine because I feel like a lazy jerk and am sort of fishing for an excuse to buy a cool-looking metal tank.

I haven't heard that, but I can tell you that metal tanks and reels are so much nicer. I have the slightly nicer metal reels that have little hooks in them that you slide the film on top of, instead of a clip. They are a bit more expensive but easier to use than even the best plastic reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
In case anyone is interested, I am selling a complete Bronica 645 setup.
ETRSi body
120 back
Polaroid Back
75mm Zenzanon 2.8
Speed Grip
2 boxes of fuji instant film
Unmetered Prism

All for $350 shipped and paypal'd. Thought I would throw it up here. It's a nice little setup but I bought a Pentax 67 so this is the odd man out.