Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twovansnotone
Jun 25, 2004
I have to say I don't really shoot film much, simply because of the hassle- I'm really lazy about developing it, and then printing is just another pain in the rear end. I love film though, and I'm so excited that this thread finally got going! I started photo in High School with black and white, on my beloved Pentax K1000. We used Kodak Tri-x 400, and probably my favorite thing to do was overexpose and underdevelop. Usually just to ei 200 or 100, but I'd like to try pulling a little more. I am now a huge fan of Pentax cameras, and hence bought a Pentax DSLR when I decided to go into digital stuff.

I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks, for about 6 months or so. When my boyfriend and I are done, I've already decided I'm going to buy myself three new photo things (as soon as I can afford them, of course!). First, a film scanner ($500); Next a nice photo printer ($300-$500); Lastly, I will upgrade my digital slr ($700-$1000); for a total of $1500-$2000 into my photography HOBBY. Photo is a ridiculously expensive hobby... Yeah, and we'll be wanting to go to Europe after a year or two also. Looks like I need to get a really high-paying job. Good thing I'm in education, huh?

/random

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twovansnotone
Jun 25, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm trying to compile all the necessary pieces and parts to develop my own 120 negatives and haven't seen this answered anywhere - can I use ANY kind of light while loading my film rolls onto their spools? Like a red light?

It probably shouldn't matter, I just don't know how delicate I have to be loading film.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I may have some equipment you could use. I'll have to look for it, but I'm pretty sure I have a stainless steel developing tank and reel for 120 film. Today only deal! Free, plus s/h! (s/h = $99.95)

I'm kidding of course. I would really be happy to send it to you free of charge, but I'd hope for a small paypal to cover the shipping. Anyway, if you already have tanks, no big deal. Unless they're plastic, in which case I strongly suggest you try stainless steel. As for advantages, they're a little more durable (but if you're careful with your equipment that doesn't really matter) and they use a couple ounces less of the processing liquid - at least that's been my experience. And they just feel more traditional. Anyway, let me know.

twovansnotone
Jun 25, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was set to pay $21.95 for a plastic developing tank. Is this a daylight tank with a 120 reels? If so I'd be more than willing to buy used.

Krispy, Here's what I have:

(all stainless steel)

a) tank for two 35mm reels or one 120 reel (no cover)
b) tank for four 35mm reels or two 35mm and one 120, or two 120s (with cover and daylight safe cap)
c) four 35mm reels
d) one 120 reel

I think you'd probably want (a) and (d) if you're just doing 120, but you'd have to find a cover. That's probably better anyway, because the rubber covers they make now are much easier to get on and off than the steel one I have for the huge tank. Also, I'd kind of like to keep the huge tank... But I'm not actually using it right now, and probably won't for while, and I have a couple other tanks anyway. I'll try to get some pictures tonight or tomorrow. The inside of the smaller tank is a little grungy, but should wash up very easily with steel wool or something (it is STAINLESS steel after all!)

And it would probably just be like $5 for shipping and packaging, I really can't imagine it would be more than that. It's not like it needs insurance or some really careful packing. Also, I'm really jealous that you're going to be doing 120 film (I may have already said that.)