Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

gib posted:

I just shot a roll of Portra 400 NC at a wedding. Where should I get it developed and printed, and does the chemistry used (Kodak vs. Fuji) matter?

Should I avoid the local drugstore (which uses Kodak)? Is there much of a difference between optical prints and digital ones for smaller prints? I'm mostly concerned with the colors.

I'm a bit late to this thread ( I should venture out of PAD ) but I think the main concerns are dipping the film vs. sending it through rollers. When rollers are poorly maintained they can get dirty and scratch your negatives. On the other hand that photo chemistry gets better the more you use it so a place with more volume might get better results, at least those are my experiences.
also

Krispy Kareem posted:

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the scanner might work out for me afterall. I found a pretty comprehensive review on it and the scanned negatives looked pretty good out of the box. If they don't pass muster I'll spring for the Better Scanning holders.

The 4990 can scan at something like 12,800 dpi, it's really pretty good for what it is.

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU