Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
I'm going to purchase what's on the list from the list from http://chromogenic.net/develop + a small changing bag to get started on developing film instead of that amazon list. Is there anything else I should know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

Well now seems like a good time to go over B&W film developing. I only use one B&W film, Tri-X, because it's so versatile. You can shoot it at an EI from 50 to 12,800 and get acceptable negatives. Sure they are a bit grainy and contrasty but I'm in that. I suggest you mess around and find one film you like then stick with it until you know everything about it.

Now you are ready to pour in chemicals. The system is light tight at this point so feel free to come out of the closet (or where ever). Make sure your solutions are all about 20 degrees centigrade.

Set a timer and pour in your developer. It needs to be in there for 7 minutes with this film/developer combo. Use this
http://digitaltruth.com/devchart.html to get all the times you need, it's not perfect but it gets you in the ball park.

Wait I'm confused. I'm developing my first ever two reels today, and your HC1110 solution is 1:63, the solution I'm using. Isn't B Solution 1:31? Apparently 1:62 is called H solution, doubling the time of using B, but you're using the time for B. So is the Dev chart actually listing H solution (it says B) or are you using half the time?

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

I use 7 minutes for dilution B. It's pretty much accepted that kodak's published times for tri-x in HC-110 are too short. I have heard of people using as short as 5 mins in B but 7 mins is what works for me.

Edit: Nice catch on that dilution. I accidentally listed the formula for dilution H. That is what I normally use. I rarely shoot box speed so for big pushes I prefer a longer development time so that I can make better use of the semistand developing technique I described earlier to reduce contrast.

Okay whew. I thought I developed it for twice as long as necessary, thanks for the tutorial.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Should it matter if I scan to tiff files? Would I have more flexibility scanning a raw?

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
I was hoping you'd say that, I really hate the fact that I can't preview NEF files.

Edit:

porcellus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 6, 2008

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Why are these medium format rangefinders thousands of dollars? :sigh:

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
I'm looking for some rangefinders now, something along the lines of Olympus 35rc. Any suggestions?
edit I'm wishing that they can look as :cool: as a black m5. Probably not.

porcellus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 8, 2009

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Developed my first reel in a year last night, super excited.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/art/1256559892.html

Is this a good idea at all? 400' for $40, but it's motion picture. It probably doesn't matter, but I'm not quite sure if it's a good deal I should pick up on?

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Oh good call! I'll ask about what process type it is. I don't have bulk loading, but I think it's about the time to buy some, a Watson model off ebay or freestyle. Would it be a big problem since it's 400' and the loader accepts only 100'? I guess I'd have to unravel and cut it..

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Colour motion picture stock needs to be developed differently than standard c-41, and unless you have a decent amount of disposable income and live near one of the few labs that can process it, I wouldn't recommend trying it (as much as I wish I could shoot it).

Gnomad posted:

If it's like the film Seattle Film Works was using, it's going to be hard to get developed because of the coating that clogs C41 machines and the contrast might be sort of flat. Research would be critical.
If it was black and white, I'd say go for it, not so sure about color though.
edit-I googled the heck out of Fuji 8551/F250T and found nothing useful. TBH I don't know if I'd bother with the stuff.
Bummer, but glad I asked you guys anyways, would've wasted my money. Thanks.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Is this a good deal? http://salem.craigslist.org/pho/2071059878.html

I was looking towards buying an RZ67, are there going to be some noticable differences in picture quality?

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Expired already 8(
No! Good news though, picked up a Yashica Electro 35GS for 15$ at the local thrift store today. I guess I should just run a generic 6V in it and pray it works?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300424390504#ht_500wt_922
Good deal? I'm looking for a medium format w/ an AE prism finder. I'm going against either an RZ67 or Bronica ETRS, the Bronica seems to be the much cheaper counterpart.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Are you kidding? That looks gorgeous. Where do you learn how to do that?

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
Well gently caress me, I forgot how expensive it was to develop E-6. My local place, Citizens, is 8 bones for 36 exp. Any mail in-service that are cheaper?

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004

dukeku posted:

Citizens is totally my favorite lab. Nice dudes working there.
The coolest dudes.

Reichstag posted:

Not really. And yeah, Citizen's (Portland, right?) is pretty spendy. Unfortunately, while it is an hour away from me, it's still the closest place for me to get my 4x5 developed. :haw:
Eugene?

What's the scanner favorite these days? A few years ago it was the V500 or 4490. Has anything been improved upon? I need a scanner! Not now, but in the coming months. The other option I'm thinking about is just buying an old scanner for snapshots and have it drum scanned if I choose to print a project.

porcellus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004

penneydude posted:

Well I shot a couple of rolls of that motion picture film I bought - Kodak Vision 3 500T to be precise. I'll probably ship it out to the dude in Ohio I found that's willing to process it and post some scans when it comes back in a couple of weeks.

I really wish motion picture labs were better set up to take short (~6') lengths of film, but alas...this is what I'm stuck with.

Cool. I've always wanted to do that, curious and excited to see the results. With what camera did you shoot it with, did you have the entire length of film in your camera...? Any surprises along the way?