Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

The thing about film is its not just based on film size, though that has a lot to do with it, tri-x for example is a rather low resolution film, compare this to EFKE 50 or any other slow speed high resolution film, and theres a big difference in "megapixel equivilancy" From my own experience scanning 35 and 120 film on a flatbed scanner made for film, I get roughly 6-8mp from low resolution films like tri-x or neopan 1600 in 35mm, and closer to 12-14mp from the same film at 645 or 6x6(120 film)

There is also the case that in digital files, unless you use an uprezzing program, at some point the file is just going to be pixelated when blown up a certain amount, with film this doesnt happen, you can enlarge and enlarge, and you will see the grain and there won't be any more fine detail, but you still get smooth transitions, which can add to the feeling of more resolution I suppose. Using a high resolution film in 4x5 or larger sizes is still the ultimate resolution champ, easily scanning to the equivilant of 1000s of megapixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

edit: and drat it, Leica rangefinders aren't hard to load...

No but they do take longer than a swingback does, and its a pain to have to cut your leaders ahead of time.

Quick question about diafine, I've been reading up on it, and is it really the miracle developer that it seems to be? It almost sounds too good to be true.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

I've been endlessly scouring keh, craigslist, local ads, and anywhere else to find a cheap 8x10 camera, I love shooting large format paper negatives, and I'm looking for a bigger negative than my Crown Graflex.

Is there any table for giving a general field of view comparison for focal lengths across formats? Like 80mm on 645 is similar to 50 on 35 is similar to 28 on APS-C, etc?

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

What's the process for dealing with light leaks on a large format's bellows? Also, here's a picture because I keep asking questions :)

Also, as I step from medium to larg(er) formats, should I try the 4x5 or jump straight to the 8x10? It's hobby only, and I am not looking for anything but bigger negatives.

If you plan to enlarge or scan negatives, 4x5 is a much much better choice, all the advantages of extra resolution/small DOF/movements, but in a much smaller and generally cheaper package, 4x5 is more common so better luck finding good deals on cameras/lenses/film/accesories, however if you find a great deal on an 8x10, let me know, and if you find another great deal, jump on it.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Chiming in to say how great KEH is, they rate everything a step lower than it really is, at the very least, I've bought a couple BGN rated lenses that could have been new for all I knew.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

MrMeowMeow posted:

Aw man, really? I was hoping to get this roll of tmax developed at like London Drugs or something, 'cause I haven't ponied up the money to develop my stuff at home yet.
When I got color prints a while ago I asked for no color correction, so I could see how my shots were actually turning out... is there a B&W white equivalent to color correction, or is what you see what you see what you get?

I was wondering, how do you guys organize your negatives and prints? I just have a couple of envelopes sitting in my closet right now, but there surely has to be a better way to arrange 'em.

Those plastic negative holders in a shoe box under my bed, well not so much a shoebox, but these cheap 'archival boxes' I picked up at a yardsale.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

To be honest, if you shoot black and white negative film and develop yourself, you can be off as much as 2 or 3 stops and still get a decently usable negative, something like tri-x or similar is very forgiving, I consider myself decent at metering without a meter, but I wouldn't really try it with anything but black and white.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Luxmore posted:

So I'm gonna be hangin' with Tom Abrahamsson on Friday, anybody need some softreleases or anything?

Yeah, and throw in a m3 or something too please? I'll pay full price for the soft release, hell even a rapidwinder too.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Luxmore posted:

So I'm gonna be hangin' with Tom Abrahamsson on Friday, anybody need some softreleases or anything?

Ok why the gently caress are these winders so drat expensive, I would pay even 100 for a winder for my IIIf, but thats outrageous.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

A quick flickr search interests me to this film, what is your experience with it? I would be interested in a few rolls if a beginner like me could develop it.

One of my favorite films for street photography, works great at 800, 1000, and 1600, decent tonality and sharpness for such a fast film, extremely grainy and I love it.

Heres an example of it, this was shot in a dark basement with a single bare bulb, I guessed exposure at 1/4th at f3.8 at box speed, and it was probably a full stop underexposed there was still plenty of detail in the negative though.

8th-samurai posted:

I'm thinking of getting some Efke 25 in 120. To shoot long exposures on my Yashica 635 in daylight.

I saw these amazing photos some russian guy took in St Petersburg of crowds moving through the city. All ghostly body parts and sharp buildings. I want to do something like that in my city.

Anyone ever use this stuff? I know they recommend a hardening fixer, which Kodafix is so Im good, but any other personal tips would be nice.

I've shot a roll of it in 35, but haven't had it developed yet, but looking around flickr I'm very excited to see what its like.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

Yeah, I just remembered the bulk loader right after ordering a bunch of rolls of Tri-X. How does everyone store their beauties? By no means do I have anything that I'd want to show off to others, but I do enjoy looking at the cameras when they're not in use. Does anyone have the same lust for their older gear, and how do they handle it?

Thanks!

I have everything in a big sliding drawer under my bed, which is right next to my desk, I often find myself opening it up and playing with various cameras when I should be doing something else, if I had more space I would love to display them somewhere nicer, as it is I have... 29 cameras, dozens of lenses, a few flashes, filters, accesories, parts from broken lenses/cameras and more film than I'll reasonably shoot anytime soon, all in a jumbled mess beside me. As far as lust for old gear, I'll admit it, if I see a banged up spotmatic at a thrift store or yardsale, I must have it, old cameras are absolutely beautiful.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've got 10 rolls of Fuji Superia I'd like to use on my upcoming trip. I've got an Elan II body that could take it (as well as a 50mm f/1.8 and 21mm f/2.0 for low light shooting), but the XA's highest ISO setting is only 800. Would I still get decent results if I overexposed it by a stop and told the lab I'd exposed it at 800? I know it's a waste of good high-speed film, but I've seen precious little ISO 800 film around. I only paid about a dollar a roll for it anyways.

Not familiar with the XA, but theres not exposure compensation that you could use to fool the meter into exposing correctly? Otherwise I would say the Elan II and 21/2 would be the ultimate combo with some 1600 film.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Unfortunately not... it has a +1.5 stop compensation lever for backlit subjects, but that's the wrong way. I'm hoping to take one to a camera tech someday and have him recalibrate the meter -2EV, to give me a more modern ISO 100-3200 range (plus have ISO 32 or whatever accessible with that backlight compensator). Having ISO 3200 plus the 35mm f/2.8 Zuiko lens in my pocket would be awesome.

I was looking at OM's and considering one of them plus a 50mm. They're not quite small enough to fit in a pocket, but still amazingly compact for a full-frame film SLR.

Doing some quick reading on Superia, looks like you could expose it at 800 and develop normally and still get decent results, even better if you could find a lab that would pull process it for you. If you gotta have the small camera, go for it.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Great, thanks! 1600 print film doesn't require any special equipment or chemicals, right? (so I can just take it anywhere?)

Now to get that written on a card in Vietnamese and Lao, and I should be all set :cool: Going back to that market on Monday, hopefully nobody bought it.

Is it c41? I would try and find a decent place, go to a camera store and have them do it or use wherever they ship to, dont trust a CVS with anything but the film CVS sells.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

I think scanners are like any other camera gear- go with what you can barely afford :) I am wishing I had the 4990 so I can do 4x5 negs from my new camera, but I'm not ready to sell my 4490 yet. Overall it's a decent scanner, although I haven't really used the Epson software for anything serious- I just use the imaging app in OSX.

Wanna scan 4x5 negs? Just shoot paper negatives and scan them like any other piece of paper, plus its cheap and fun to shoot at ISO 3

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

I'm not familiar with paper negatives- do you have a recommendation on a place to start?

Get in a room with a dim safelight and cut some printing paper down to 4x5, load it in your negative holders and meter for ISO 3 or so, develop as you would a print, by inspection. Super easy and you can get 200 frames for dirt cheap.
Depending on the paper you use, paper negatives can have poor tonality/dynamic range, but it can be so much fun, 20 minute exposures in the mid day sun are fun.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

This might be a longshot, but I'm seriously thinking about picking up some diafine and finally doing home dev, BUT I like to shoot 4x5 paper negatives, any chance I could develop those in diafine? I've always used dektol at my schools lab in the past, I would really rather not have two different developers, and I don't plan on ever wet printing at home.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, you could develop those in Diafine, though I'm not sure why you would want to. Diafine is ideal for roll film because you don't have consistency between exposures. On sheet film you can develop each frame exactly how you want...

I want to because I plan on shooting a lot of roll film, but also some paper negatives, and I dont want two developers.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

On the subject of Delta 3200, might be interesting to some, http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2008/07/pushing-envelope.html

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

longview posted:

How many MPs can I expect from a 35mm negative on that scanner, and would they be good enough for 13x18 cm or larger prints?

I have a Canonscan 8600F and I get about 6-8mp out of tri-x, obviously more out of higher resolution film, I tend to not scan anything higher than 10mp though, If I need a big print someday I'll just rescan.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

I actually just bought 10 rolls of Aristacolor 400, looking at some shots on flickr it looks awesome, grainy as hell, and only a 1.80 a roll!

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Friend with a friend at Hunts just got me a 20pack of Fuji Press 400 for 30 bucks... hot rear end poo poo.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

MrMeowMeow posted:

Trying to win auctions on eBay makes me want to shoot myself in the foot. I was trying to get a canon 28mm f2.8 lens on the cheap, but kept getting outbid by a few cents at the last second and on another auction I hit the bid button a second late and it had all ended by that time. I also tried to find the canon lens in stores in Vancouver but I only found people selling them for $100, and a sketchy pawn shop selling a 28mm lens for $35 but it was of very questionable quality. Frustration got the best of me and I settled on using the 'Buy Now' button on an auction for a RMC Tokina 28mm f/2.8 for about $40.
Guys, reassure me that I didn't gently caress up and that this Tokina lens will be okay!

I am pretty excited for it to arrive though, I need a reason to bring my camera around with me more often. Do you guys ever get in a rut where it's like you can't find anything interesting to take pictures of? What do you when this happens?

Change the technical way in which I'm shooting, normally I go for moderate apertures and easily hand-holdable shutter speeds, but sometimes I'll shoot everything wide open, or shoot at nothing faster than 1/30th, or purposefully defocus the lens and shoot at f22 to compensate, or shoot a different focal length than I normally do.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

breathstealer posted:

That wouldn't be the camera, that's either your eyes or just the sunny 16 rule being inaccurate (like it's supposed to be). Without any sort of autoexposure, it can't decide to overexpose.

Also: oh, NOOOOOBODY uses 2x3 film anymore :v:

The aperture or shutter speeds can be off from stated values, either due to error in the original camera or wear/tear over time.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Help a filmbrother out

The 6x7 has such a huge shutter/mirror that it induces camera shake easily, even on a heavy duty tripod, always try and go for the fastest shutter speed possible, regardless of how steady you might be, also the DOF on 6x7 is paper thin, so even though the image may appear correctly focused on the ground glass, even slight focus error will show in the negative, I'm assuming the 6x7 has a split image prism, use that, but dont focus and recompose because you're gonna be shifting your DOF.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Fragrag posted:

That clears things up a bit. Is it any different with DSLRs? Because when I preview the aperture, I can see the shutter closed, which means it's in front of the mirror. Or am I starting to confuse stuff?

Yes the aperture is in the lens, so you can see the affect of opening/closing it through the viewfinder.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

everyone but the first post on this page is a dumbass.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

On the advice of a local street photography guru I shot some 400 speed color film at 250(developed at box speed by CVS) and holy poo poo, dynamic range for days, even in the contrastiest of shots, shadows are open and I can pull detail out of every single highlight, every single shot has near infinite highlight detail, I know film is miles ahead of digital in this regard, but this is beyond anything I had seen. Film was Fuji Press 400, but I'm sure it would work for anything.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That sounds cool, do you have any scanned that you could share? How come you don't lose the highlights to overexposure?

Film takes overexposure much much better than digital does, at the expense of shadows not being as malleable as digital can be sometimes, so by giving it all that extra light, you get well exposed shadows, and more than enough highlight information.
Heres one straight from the scan, only inverted, taken around 2pm with the strongest contrastiest light we got that day.

and here is with -2.5EV in lightroom

From the whole roll I shot like this, not a single shot didn't have all the highlights intact.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Celluloid posted:

Lemme ask all of you a question:
I have a love/hate relationship with "Lomography". Being that I'm the only one in my company that seems to have any relationship whatsoever with it, I've been tapped to host classes/meetings in my store.

What sort of topics would your ideal Lomography class cover?

The cameras we will be carrying are the Diana, Fisheye, LCA, and Action Sampler.

I would like to see a Lomography class attempt to teach people precisely why those cameras give the "look" associated with lomography, and give people more of an understanding of the technical nature of photography beyond the happy accident mentality of lomography.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Reichstag posted:

There's nothing to teach, it's about being sloppy and calling it art.

But you could go in an entirely different direction than this, I despise the cult of lomography, but you can still use those cameras to great results, provided you dont just do what you described.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Becks posted:

Am I the only one who think that out of focus background (bokeh if you will) looks better on film for some reason?

Film, as compared to APS-c digital sensors, will have smaller DOF at similar fields of view, so it generally looks as though more of the frame is out of focus, or more out of focus, but aside from that I hadn't really noticed a difference. Though I suspect if you asked that question of Flickr everyone would agree with you.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

Can someone recommend someone that can do mail-in LF drum scans (or someone in the SoCal area that does walk-ins)?

I just went and shot my first 10 4x5's today, using Arista 100. My light meter told me that at f64 one of them was an 8 minute exposure, so we'll see how that comes out. I sent them off using my local camera shop (Oceanside Photo & Telescope), but they wanted $10 for each scan and the lady helping me had no idea if they were drum scans. I'm not paying $10 each for flatbed scans.

It was an interesting perspective shooting 4x5, and I really enjoyed it. There was a purpose and a rythm to it that reminded me of when all I had was a Pentax K1000, a couple bottles of chemicals and a college darkroom. It also made me appreciate digital too- like the fact that it will be days before I know if it completely sucked, so I have to rely on copious notes. I think I would kill for a LF camera that encoded the aperture and shutter speed on the edge of the negative.

For those considering LF, it was fairly simple to load, but instead of just picking up a roll and throwing it in, I had to make a darkroom just to load the negatives. It took me about a minute for each one, which is not bad, but it's not going to allow you to catch that 'quick shot' if you don't have any handy. I'd love to find a polaroid back for it, but I am having trouble finding a back for my Speed Graphic that is both obtainable and for which they still make polaroid film.

I also developed 3 rolls of 120, and will post later when they're dry.

If you want realllly long exposures and REALLLLY cheap film, just cut down photographic printing paper, its roughly ISO 3, can be cut, loaded, and even developed under a safelight(develop like you would a print) and is so ridiculously cheap compared to buying actual 4x5 film you really can't not shoot some, especially if you have some paper already. As far as scanning goes, 4x5 has so much resolution you can practically just use a decent flatbed scanner, unless you absolutely must print billboard sizes.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

Thanks for the suggestions- I will stick to contact sheets except when I want something printed huge. Looking at some of the colors in large format photos taken, I think I am going to shoot some color next.

Quick question: With extremely small apertures like 64, and exposure times running in the minutes, should I expect to see softer pictures of truly stationary objects like buildings, mountains, etc?

Because 4x5 is such a large format, diffraction is waaaayyyy less of a problem than it is on 35mm or other small formats. For instance, whereas with your average 35mm lens, the optimal aperture is f8 or so, it will often be f22 or f32 on a large format lens. Unless you were talking about motion blur, in which case no, so long as the camera and the subject are still, you will get sharp results.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Reichstag posted:

how can i shoot lf really cheaply? what is the cheapest 8x10 i can possibly get?

Cheapest LF would be a pinhole camera, either made yourself or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/151567-REG/Santa_Barbara_SWA2B_4_x_5_Pinhole.html or something similar. Or, for more control, a speed or crown graphic will get you a decent 4x5 press camera often with at least a lens, if not film holders. 8x10 is going to be expensive no matter what, if you're lucky you can find a beat up ancient 8x10 with no lens and no film holders for 300-400 on ebay.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

w_hat posted:

I want to see some pictures of the rangefinders/MF/LF stuff you guys have.

My Crown Graphic 4x5, sadly mine does not have the graphlex back, so I'm limited to just standard film holders, no readyloads or 6x9 backs :/ has a 127/4.5 Ektar lens which barely covers the format.

A 4x5 folder, I assume, since its literally a box with bellows on in that is roughly 4x5, not even close to light tight, the back especially, I have shot with this, though with a coat over the entire thing to block light.

Roleicord 75/3.5, I dont use this nearly as much as I wish I did, I'll be back in the darkroom in a few weeks though so that WILL change.

My Zorki 4, a russian Leica IIIf(I think...) copy, with 50/3.5 collapsible lens.

6x9 120 folder, focus is stuck at ~10feet sadly, I have other 6x7 folders but they are 620 film(and 6x9 is soooo much nicer) I've still shot a few rolls of street with this, ~10 feet ends up being fine in that case.

Pentax 645, first version, with 75/2.8, HUGE camera, HUGE beautiful viewfinder, HUGE LOUD KU-LUNK mirror, I have the 220 back, but you can use 120 film in it no problem.

I have a few more 35mm rangefinders, mostly fixed lens, and a couple 620 folders, as well as some brownies and what not, but this is the nicest stuff.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

My local camera store had a ME super with the rewind handle missing (rewind still works, just a pain) and offered it to me for 25, I asked if I could swipe the handle from my k1000(one of two, and I use neither) and he offered me a trade, k1000 for ME Super, threw in a roll of Delta100 too. I've always wanted an M series Pentax, this isn't the MX or LX I've dreamed of, but its drat tiny and a joy to shoot with.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

w_hat posted:

How do you like these two, especially Zorki, and do you think the price difference between the Rolleiflex's and the cords is worth it?

The zorki has such a tiny viewfinder that its really a pain to use, ideally I would like to pick up the CV 12 or 15 and just scale focus, and use the external viewfinders. Otherwise its a terrific little pocket sized camera (through leica-style film loading loving sucks).

I've never used a 'flex, so I can't comment, but theres really not much more I could ask for out of a TLR, shutter speeds go up to a respectable 500th, though one stop faster would be nice to really use this thing wide open in daylight, I don't know if the viewing lens' are any better on the 'flexes but a brighter screen would be nice, but theres really nothing major I would change.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

breathstealer posted:

That's a Zorki 1 of some description (can't tell the letter designation from the picture), and it was a Leica II copy (IIIs have slow speeds). Just being picky :)

im a fuckshit!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Spent 8 hours in the darkroom today, first time in over a year, and it all came flooding back. Developed and printed contact sheets for 9 rolls of film, a ton of different types which was a pain. Havent made any enlargments yet but hot drat it felt good, also 35mm Efke 25 negatives are so loving beautiful, its like shooting medium format film or something jesus its like the resolution does not end.