Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Reichstag posted:

wanted to try this for so long, but i just hate shooting low iso film :(

it wasnt so bad, i was shooting my usual street stuff with it, 50/1.7 at f2 and f4 and I was getting 1/500ish in sunlight, out of two rolls only a half dozen shots were shaky blurred, I usually never dip below 400 speed film but this and a roll of delta100 someone gave me came out so loving nice.

I have one more roll of the 25, thinking of running it with my 24/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

If anyone wants cheap b&w film, this is repackaged tri-x, and this is plus-x, I just bought 30 rolls of the 400

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

What is a recommended 1600 speed black and white 35mm film? I see Fuji Neopan 1600 at Freestyle, that is all they have.

I've shot neopan 1600 and love it to death, tri-x at 1600 is also pretty nice, contrastier and less shadow detail, you can also pull delta 3200 or tmax 3200 to 1600, though I've never used either. (also the second two only work if you develop yourself, most labs dont do push processing)

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Nedsmaster posted:

I'm sure people know this, but as far as 35mm goes CVS is the cheapest. They do just the negatives for only $2.19.

when I dont have darkroom access this is what I do, cheap color film and cvs negs only, winds up to be 5 bucks a roll by the time I get the negs back.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

mcosio posted:

Where does everyone store their unexposed film? I have looked around and some people say in their fridge, others a room temperature closet or bedroom.

What do you do?

freezer

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

hybr1d posted:

Can anyone tell what model camera this is?

looks like Annie Leibovitz and i know she shoots with either an m6/7

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

HPL posted:

Learn to do your own black and white. It's simple. You can process it in your bathroom in well under an hour. You'll be able to shoot like a fiend once you learn how.

If you have any questions or concerns, ask away. That's why we're here.

You can see a 120 photo I processed myself about halfway up this page.

I think he's fine bro.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Cryhavoc posted:

Hey, do you know what the general quality of the Pentax manual focus lenses is like? I'm thinking of picking up a cheap 28 2.8 or 50 1.4, but i'm not really married to the system yet.

They're awesome, basically you're looking at 3 series of Pentax manual lenses(not including screwmount), the K, M, and A series, the K are the oldest, and largest, and generally considered the best quality, the M series was redesigned to be very compact, some people say at the expense of image quality, though I use mostly M-series glass and its no slouch. The A-series is just the M lenses with the contacts for aperture control, useful if you're using a more modern film or a digital body (though the K and M lenses will still work, albeit in full manual only). Pentax made some incredible manual focus lenses, I personally have the m28/2.8 and its practically a pancake lens its so small, very sharp too, I have a screwmount 50/1.4 and an a50/1.7, the 1.7 is a little sharper(also 25 years newer) but the 1.4 is a magical lens truly. Buy any Pentax glass you can and you'll be happy.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Just bought a 20 pack of Superia 400/36, a 10 pack of Kodak max 800/24 and an 8 pack of NPZ800/36, as well as an XA to go with my XA2.

Also looking to buy a Ricoh GR1 if anyone knows a reputable seller.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

killabyte posted:

I hope you didn't pay much for that Kodak Max. It's probably the single worst film I have ever used.

$16 for 10 rolls.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

I just bought the cheapest plustek film scanner and basically its great value for the money, dont expect drum scans but yeah its fast and awesome.

Back to scanning those 45 rolls from the last 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Snaily posted:

The price sure is right for the PlusTeks. Have you found any decent reviews?

I like mine, for what its worth.