Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I sometimes have some minor problems with my Olympus OM-1 meter. If I take a picture, the light meter sometimes "shuts off" - meaning that it drops down like it would if you turned the camera off. If I just change the aperture (on any lens), it "wakes up" again and goes back to normal. I do have to change the aperture back and forth for that to happen though.

Anybody know what's wrong? Easy/cheap fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

How do I best travel by airplane with film? Check it all in, or carry on? I remember a discussion lately about it but I can't find it.

e: carry on it seems, but I'm seeing some conflicting stories about whether or not the scanner will do any harm

Xabi fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 22, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

How big are files from 35mm film scans usually? I guess it largely depends on the resolution you choose, but is there a rough estimate I can use? I'm asking because I'll be scanning a lot of film with a mate and I'd like to know how much disk space I'll need to bring along. I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but I can't seem to find good stuff at other places.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Merci beaucoup!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

How do you store your negatives? I've just starting shooting film again, and I'd like to organise things a little better. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask and I didn't see anything in the OP but this must be the right thread....right?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Scanned some film but didn't do a good enough job with all the tiny dust. Sweet fancy moses, my hand hurts because of all the spot removing in Photoshop.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I had some film developed and something strange has happened to the last photos on the roll. In fact, I didn't even get photos #33-36 and I didn’t realise this until I got back home. As you can see, the pattern is different in every photo so I guess that rules out a camera leak? What else can explain this (and perhaps the fact that the last photos didn’t even get developed)? The film is Delta 3200.

I hope imgur links are ok:

http://i.imgur.com/fAAHKIe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mazC6X5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JjiylvX.jpg

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What kind of scanning software would you recommend? Vuescan?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

Silverfast, 48 bit tiff, scan as positive, don't use negafix.
Thank you, I'll try this with the processing tips in the OP. What do you do with dust (and sometimes scratches)? Fix it in Silverfast or Photoshop? Dust removal in Epson's software fucks everything up, so I'm a bit sceptical of letting the scanner software do it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Heads up, scanner talk:

What are your solutions? Sell all camera gear to buy a Coolscan? V600? Sell the house and buy a drum scanner or bust? I'm looking for something for a pretty normal human being (myself), with a decent quality/price ratio. Preferably for both 135 and 120.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Oops, sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I'll have a look!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

It's a marvellous setup and IMO much better than having the shutter speed on the dial close to the shutter. On the Olympus OM-1 the ISO dial is there Nikon et al have their shutter dial. The advantage of the Olympus setup, is that the left hand does all the work. I also much prefer having the shutter speed close to the body, with tabs, unlike Nikon et al where you adjust aperture on the lens close to the body. It's just harder to adjust that way. Olympus copied Leica by putting the aperture ring on the front of the lens.

Believe me, it's a marvellous setup and a big reason why I never bonded with the Nikon FM2 since I was used to the Olympus (the other being that the OM-1's meter is much nicer).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

Shoot Portra 400 or expose as it if was ISO 80, I've shot boxes and boxes of 160 and it's an immensely frustrating film if you don't rate it slower than box.
Do you also shoot Portra 400 as if it was ISO 200?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

mulls posted:

http://ukfilmlab.com/2014/04/24/film-stock-and-exposure-comparisons-kodak-portra-and-fuji/

Portra 400 has a 6-stop range where -2 doesn't look all that different from +4. Compare that with Portra 160, which looks kind of muddy and sad at -2 stops.
Yeah, I know but I've seen several places people recommending to overexpose 400 by shooting it as 200 or 320 for best results. It might be minor differences but I'm curious how Mr Ansel is doing it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I want to start developing my own black and white film (35 and 120) again. Previously, years back, I borrowed equipment from a friend so I'll have to buy the stuff needed.

So what do I buy? I remember someone hyping up some Paterson tanks and (possibly) reels, but I'm not sure which ones. Thought I'd hear with you guys before ordering lots of possibly bad stuff.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks a lot for all the replies to my questions about developing at home, especially SMERSH Mouth's epic effort post. Much obliged! It would be interesting to hear more about Primo Itch's "simple" approach though, but only if the man/lady (?) feels like it. Either way, it won't be a huge investment - but it'll probably be both rewarding and frustrating. I can't wait!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Oh my god I've bought a Leica.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

windex posted:

I kind of want to start a rangefinder/scale focus technique thread to counteract the DSLR threads because let's be honest SLRs with fancy autofocus are great for photos you take for other people but rangefinders and MF lenses are great for photos you take for you and forcibly rip you into the world of thinking harder about your photography.

So sup rangefinder budd(y|ies) how would you feel about a thread like this?
Is there enough to say about it to warrant a thread? I might not be the right person to ask though as I don't have much experience with rangefinders. This greasy German adventure could end up with me realising that SLRs are the way to go.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Walking around with my father's all manual Olympus was how I learned the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and film speed. You'll probably fumble a bit in the beginning, so you should probably start with some landscapes, other static objects or people who's not in a hurry. After a while you'll understand pretty quickly what kind of aperture (and thus depth of field) you're looking for in a scene and then you only have to change the shutter speed to get a correct exposure. After even more rolls of film, you should be able to measure the light pretty well with your eyes and experience*, so you might only have to change the shutter speed a stop or two. Also, overexposing film isn't a big problem, unlike with digital sensors, so when in doubt you should overexpose rather than underexpose.

Edit: you could read up on the Sunny 16 rule. In many (most?) situations it's pretty easy to guess the correct exposure values.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 24, 2016

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

The main thing to be aware of is that the camera's meter is quite stupid. Some other goon may be able to correct me, but as I understand it the meter "expects" the scene to be sort of... normal. It doesn't know if you're standing in a field of snow, it'll meter it the same as if you were in a field of grass--and then you end up with gray snow and everything else completely black. Same goes for any shot where there's a lot of sky; when I went to the ABQ Balloon Festival, I'd switch to auto mode and point at the ground to get an idea of metering, then set it into manual mode to actually shoot the balloons.
Yeah, it's looking for middle grey so you have to underexpose dark scenes (or they'll end up too bright) and overexpose really bright scenes (or they'll end up too dark). How much you have to over-/underexpose depends on what you are photographing. Also, old cameras are usually centre weighted so it's measuring the light in the centre (the size of the centre varies) unlike modern cameras that usually have matrix metering. However, don't spend too much time thinking about this yet IMO, the first thing to understand is the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and film speed (ISO).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Who does really good work in B+W/film?
You should check out Ragnar Axelsson.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I've got some Fujifilm 400h that expired in 2012. I think it's been stored in a fridge all the time but I'm not sure. Do I need to do anything when I shoot and develop this stuff?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Can anyone tell me how the average lab prints photos? Is there usually any adjustments being made or do they just stuff the negatives in and out come the prints? This might be a stupid question but I have no idea. I'm asking because I processed and printed some Portra rolls and the colours are all over the place.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The Messiah with his arms outstretched!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I messed up my film loading and in the process managed to rewind the film completely into the canister (I'm an idiot). Is there any hope of getting hold of the leader without one of those retrievers?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

anyone have experience sending Olympus stuff to the guy at zuiko.com? I went on a trip and my 200mm f/4 got stuck on the camera due to a missing stop screw and I managed to gently caress up the aperture coupling wiper contact while removing it
By all accounts he's the best there is. I'm thinking of sending him an OM-1 for a CLA but I need to find some money first.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'd like to find something that's a little less grainy than HP5, but not as clinical as Delta 400. Right now for me that's HP5 at 320 in Perceptol. I have no idea if Neopan 400 would be the right thing. Better processing practices are probably what I really need, but it would be cool to try out a different 400 ISO film.

It's also been a long time since I shot tri-x, but I don't remember it being very different from HP5.
Have you tried FP4 Plus @ 400?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

This looks tasty:

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/24/nikon-d850-doubles-45-7mp-film-scanner/

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Sauer posted:

Since my GAS knows no limits I will be picking up a "Mint, Like New" OM-1n with 50mm f/1.8 from a local seller later this week
Good choice.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Film Photo Gear on Facebook looks pretty good and safe but I've never used it myself.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I've got a load of 120 Pro 400H film that expired in the years 2012-2015. I believe it's mostly been stored in the fridge but I'm not completely sure. Should I do anything special or can I do the normal routine of slightly over-exposing it? Or is it a stupid idea to use it?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 5, 2017

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

i mean i am absolutely aping John Divola who does actually spray paint his own stuff and photograph it
Crazy John Divola!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

How many of you are on the new Leica M6 waiting list? I remember some rumours emerging in 2020 I believe about a new “cheap” film Leica. Well here it finally is for the small price of €5,050 / $5,295 / £4,500.