Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If it's oversaturated, then it's underexposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

which can happen pretty easily if you shoot at night and don't take into account reciprocity failure

Yup, exactly.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Don’t most major airports in the US have CT scanners now at the security check? Those will absolutely wreck your film.

EDIT:

I've had varying degrees of hand checking when I used to travel with film on international flights. I just don't do it anymore after an incident at Haneda Airport. It's been 11 years but it still angers me to this day.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 5, 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

i scan as 48 bit raws in silverfast and use NLP by the book. it’s great.

Same except in Vuescan. Scan everything as a 48 bit raw positive with all the color correction/balancing off.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Reminds me of when I was in film school and 2 of my classmates each exposed two exposed rolls of Kodak 7219. One guy took his hands out of the changing bag twice, and the other guy opened the canister twice (the second time after we told him not to do that again).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

Welp I just got the slides back and it's a clear cut case of the lab loving up the scans (although a lot of the photos are still on the underexposed side). But if you want something done right you do it yourself.

Pretty much. It’s why I scan all my film and do the post conversions myself. I’ve never been happy with what the lab gives me.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

Aren't there only 500 of them? Clearly meant as a collector's piece I think. I'll likely pick up an M mount rangefinder next year but there's plenty of fish in the sea.

I think the 500 limited number was just speculation from the Leica Rumors people, same with its supposed 'entry-level' price. The $5k price tag just gave an upper limit to used M6s now so I'm imagining that used M6s are going to go north of 3k fairly soon. :lol:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I personally don't bother with Delta 3200 if I want a 3200 speed B&W film. I usually just push HP5 or Kentmere 400 3 stops in development and I've liked the results.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Bronicas are awesome and will give you just as much quality as a Hasselblad or Mamiya (GS-1 user here).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

majour333 posted:

^^I really hope so!

Anyone developed kentmere yet? My sweetie got me 5x 100 and 10x 400 for Christmas. Can't wait to see how it holds up.

I've developed Kentmere in 35mm. It's a pretty good emulsion if you develop it with the right developer (handle with care though because the emulsion is incredibly easy to damage). I developed mine with Clayton F76+ and the grain is really clumpy with not a lot of fine detail. Developing Kentmere with HC-110 is supposedy much better.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

frogbs posted:

I’m sure there’s plenty of other business factors behind the price increase, but I’m starting to think Kodak are going to price film so high that it starts to lose steam again, just as it’s popularity is on the rise for the first time in decades.

Can't wait for Kodak to learn about the trust thermocline.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

Unless you're flying with 3200ISO film I don't think you have anything to worry about from passing it through the x-ray (if it's in your carry on). I pushed 400 to 1600 and that didn't have any problems either.

Not true as all major airports/hubs have switched over to CT scanners and they damage film of all ISO speeds.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

When was this? I flew through Newark in November with a shitload of film and didn't bother with a hand check.

Apparently it's been happening the past year. There was a huge discussion about it on other forums and people were reporting the major hubs were all CT scanners, with a few people testing whether the CT scanners destroyed only high ISO films and the consensus was no film was safe from CT scanners.

EDIT:

Apparently Kodak and Fujifilm put out something back in 2020 saying "yeah get your film handchecked if you see a CT scanner"

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2023

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

the Spain Virus posted:

Developing Velvia 100 is forbidden by the EPA in the US

I had to look this up and holy poo poo, I didn’t know you couldn’t even process Velvia 100 anymore.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Ziggy Smalls posted:

What about betterscanning? Their holders are great.

I think most people don’t suggest that guy since he’s been incredibly hard to get in contact with lately.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Voigtlander Bessas used to be like $600 new. :smith:

I ended up with a Zeiss Ikon ZM back in late 2008, still going strong and it's probably the camera I take out the most now.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The Canons can be had for under $200 with the 50mm f/1.8, maybe 400 ish with the 50mm f/1.4. Sure you’re limited to screw mount glass, but all the cheap stuff is screw mount anyways, and you can carry it forward to M mount if you upgrade in the future.

Honestly, I would go with this recommendation (either the Canon 7 or P would be great). Just be aware that you can't go between Russian and Japanese screw mount lenses (different thread pitches).

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 5, 2023

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Had no idea about that - they both work fine on the LTM to M mount adapters I have, at least?

I know the earlier 35mm Jupiter lens is too deep for most non FSU cameras, but that’s the only incompatibility I knew of.

There were also a bunch of nerds saying the 85mm Jupiter isn’t actually accurate with any RF, but I don’t think any of them had actually used one before, I shot mine on my Bessa with no issues.

I’m trying to remember correctly what it was (I may be misremembering), but I think it was mainly not putting Japanese screw mount lenses on Soviet bodies because of the slightly different thread pitch.

I may be wrong though and it might be complete bullshit.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ok, I managed to track down what the issue is. Apparently Canon used a slightly different thread pitch on their really early screw mount lenses (pre-1950), so you're not supposed to use those on other non-Canon screw mounts. So as long as it's not one of the early Canon Serenars, you're good with any screw mount lens.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I'm just hoping that film and used gear prices finally go back down to normal.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
My suggestion for Vuescan settings is to have color balance set to “off”, which should turn off any digital gain Vuescan might apply when set to anything else.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
A friend of mine in film school lived in a 2br/1b apartment and had her home darkroom in her closet so it's possible but I don't know if anyone's willing to go that far for a darkroom.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
You won't know until you shoot them and get them developed.

In any case, the chances that they're unshot are high though I don't know if Pentax ever did factory modifications for their cameras to do leader out. I know Nikon did factory modifications if you sent your camera to them if you wanted leader out for your film winder (my F4s came with the leader out modification).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Nikon Coolscan 5000 and Epson V850 with Vuescan