Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
Getting in on the first floor of a great thread.

I've still to actually develop any of the film I'm shooting, but I adore both my cameras for being amazing mechanical artifacts (neither of these are my pictures):

The big one, when I know I'm going to a photogenic place: My father's old Nikon F2 Photomic (info on what is probably the best site for info on old Nikons ever) with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 or a weird Tokina 70-200 zoom. Picture has a different lens.

The tiny one, which I aim to always keep on my person: The diminutive Minox B. It is about 1.5 x 1 x 4 inches, includes light meter and the design dates from the 30's. It is awesome. The film it uses, however, is rather queer (8x11 mm in proprietary canisters). It is still being produced, but in lesser and lesser quantities, and it commands a pretty awful premium.

I'll answer anything I can, and I am right now trying to import Diafine into Sweden thanks to this thread. One can try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Cannister posted:

I asked this before without an answer, you save a bunch of money & have more control of results with developing negatives yourself, but once you do that what are your options to get those negatives printed?

I'd really like to find someone local that prints optically; the usual response is scan and digital print, I think.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
I just bought $100 worth of supplies: Minox Minopan film (100 x 2, 400 x 3), Diafine developer and a changing bag.

I better start developing soon. This thread :argh: Diafine doesn't really oxidize, does it?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You can probably keep and use Diafine for years. After a long-ish time it can get sludgy but you can filter the liquid to clean it up.

Great. I'll mix that up when it gets here instead of the bag of D76 I had as a first choice, then.

What happened to that analog newbie camera guide you were going to put together? :v:

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

This thread. :v:

A few of us were tossing ideas around for an analog camera gear thread, but I don't see why that stuff can't just be in here... Luxmore had a pretty nice overview of different types of cameras, and I can certainly put together some recommendations at various price points if that's the sort of stuff you're looking for.

It might bring in more clueless newbies :v:

I'd like to think of myself as set for the time being (although a wide angle lens for the Nikon would be nice...), but I'd certainly enjoy a list of things on which to look out for great deals.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
I just found someone selling a load of 35mm film of various kinds in SA-mart (no affiliation), and thought it might interest the thread.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
So my Diafine finally arrived (got stuck in customs, :10bux:x 5 lost there). At least it turns out I was sent a gallon while ordering a quart. Also got a hugeass changing bag and some Minox film, so I'm ready to roll. Is it a bad idea to only mix up like a pint of each of the solutions? I don't have any gallon-sized airtight bottles at the moment.

Also, I have some Tri-X and a roll of Minopan 400 that were shot at their nominal EI - how would I go about developing them in Diafine without overdeveloping?

Edit: Minopan 400 == APX 400

Snaily fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 8, 2008

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
Oh crap. I have to mix up my D76 then, and do all that difficult temperature matching for my first rolls.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Molten Llama posted:

Difficulty is overrated. Developer to an ideal temp, use ideal box times, done. The internet likes to bitch and moan about reticulation, but everything from the big names has been reformulated not to reticulate under all but the most ridiculous conditions. (Which the internet also likes to bitch about, because now it's much, much harder to get it on purpose.)

If room temperature is way off from your dev, throw the other chemistry in a water bath to get it closer if you like (easy as pie if you're not using stop). Pragmatically, though, it's not a big deal.

Oh, I'm aware it's not a big deal to many people. It is, relatively speaking, a tad more difficult than the Diafine pour-in-pour-out for a newbie.

There's also the fact that developing in D76 feels a lot more wasteful, since you can't reuse the developer (or?), and it supposedly goes bad faster as well.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

8th-samurai posted:

Right. His point is that diafine naturally controls conrast, if fact it sucks at developing negs shot in flat light. If you overexpose and or develop you get high contrast, which through magical diafiney goodness ends up looking good.

So what, do anything and it'll look good? Overdeveloped means underexposed (for that development), doesn't it? Why would a developer work in both ends of the scale, but not in between?

(Also, I've given up on figuring it out beforehand - I have few test rolls I'll run through the soup once I find two gallons of cheap distilled water)

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
So I really had no more excuses not to try this developing thing.

I made photos! :woop:

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

MrMeowMeow posted:

Just a quick question, I want to take my camera with me when I drive across the Canadian/American border tomorrow. I know that at airports, x-rays can mess up film, but do I have to worry about anything being x-rayed tomorrow or should it be smooth sailing?

I worried about this my entire trip to Madrid, which is rife with scanners since the terrorist attacks a few years back; I counted eight passes on one particular roll. No fogging from what I can see - I presume that all new machines are safe and that what you should be worried about are the old scanners still in service.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Luxmore posted:

Buy a new lens.

Most expensive advice ever.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

The best film camera dealer in Sweden is holding their seasonal auction soon, and just put up their auction list. It is in Swedish with certain comments in English, but I trust you people are mostly in it for the images. Notable objects:

Two golden Nikons (#341 and #344)
The Fotosniper FS-2 KMZ (#416) pictured above.
A plethora of Leicas and Hasselblads.

(The listed sums are in SEK, and starting prices. 10SEK ~ 1.4USD. Not affiliated in any way.)

Snaily fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 10, 2008

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Snaily posted:

(The listed sums are in SEK, and starting prices. 10SEK ~ 7-8USD. Not affiliated in any way.)

So it turns out my conversion sucked. It should be 1.4 USD per 10 SEK. Apologies and free laughs all around.

(not Iceland)

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

MrMeowMeow posted:

For example, if my focus is on infinity and I point towards some trees in the far distance, they are kind of out of focus, but the sky will be in focus. What could be the reason for this?

Fun fact: "infinity" focus, that is, as far as the lens will turn, is usually beyond true infinity focus, so that the lens can still focus in extreme environments (say, really really cold, when thermally contracted) and to make assembly somewhat easier.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
Cleaning, lubing and adjusting your own cheap finds: yes or no?

More specifically, I'm thinking of getting a cheap Hasselblad with a sticky shutter and lubing it with the help of a service manual. Am I likely to ruin it?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Snaily posted:

Cleaning, lubing and adjusting your own cheap finds: yes or no?

More specifically, I'm thinking of getting a cheap Hasselblad with a sticky shutter and lubing it with the help of a service manual. Am I likely to ruin it?

I hate to self-quote, but I think I got lost in the deluge of shutter != aperture posts. I'm imagining camera service is basically disassembly in a clean spot, lube wherever service books says and reassembly without getting your private parts caught in the bayonet mount. Am I terribly naive?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

johnasavoia posted:

If you want realllly long exposures and REALLLLY cheap film, just cut down photographic printing paper, its roughly ISO 3, can be cut, loaded, and even developed under a safelight(develop like you would a print) and is so ridiculously cheap compared to buying actual 4x5 film you really can't not shoot some, especially if you have some paper already. As far as scanning goes, 4x5 has so much resolution you can practically just use a decent flatbed scanner, unless you absolutely must print billboard sizes.

Ilford has some Ilfochrome (formerly Cibachrome) plastic base "paper" that's supposed to be used for outdoor advertisment purposes, and it seems to be easier to develop at home than normal color process. Highly accurate color rendition, azo coloring that never fades...

I want to use it for a huge box camera some time.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

killabyte posted:

Just curious, for what reasons are you going with an F4?

Do you need to ask?

Actually, I think the endorsement of Kenny means you should think about what you're about to buy one extra time.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
The catalogue for another camera action is up. These days, 100SEK(Skr) = 11USD (yay crisis). All defect descriptions are in English, too.

I shall see if I can't get my grubby paws on a Hasselblad for cheap.

Snaily fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 2, 2009

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
Yeah, those are starting prices. They also have some fairly fishy extra fees tacked on: 20% + 40SEK in commission, +2.5% if you pay with a card.

:downsbravo:

I'm not affiliated with them in any way - I've been and looked at the auction objects a few times so I can vouch for the fact that they actually exist and do business. Beyond that, you're on your own.

Edit:

I just saw that they've started having the ability to have people participating in the live auction online come the 13th. Check it out.

Edit 2:

I feel kind of bad I got your hopes up. Here are the clubbed prices for the three auctions they had last year, for reference:
November 2nd
June 15th
16 March 16th

Snaily fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 2, 2009

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

pfft. more like VC. NC's for squares!!

Well, he did say he was shooting with a Hasselblad...

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Aww man, I just scored a Patterson tank with two reels yesterday. At least it only cost me a shitbid of $12.

Question to those with experiencing developing B&W: I generally do most of my shooting when I'm traveling, how feasible would it be to set up a little travel kit for developing when I'm on the road? Are pretty much all the chemicals you need available in concentrated form? Would most of it be able to fit inside an empty developing tank for storage when I'm not using it?

My R3a arrived yesterday and I'm so excited... the LTM-M adapter got here earlier in the week but I'm still waiting on a Jupiter-8 from Moldova and a J-9 from Ukraine. If the dweebs on RFF would answer their PMs I might be able to get a Nokton 40mm for my trip to DC next week :-\ Watching some eBay auctions on the Voigtlander glass and checking the classifieds on RFF I've been pleasantly surprised at how affordable the used stuff is (not that the retail price is that bad).

While I haven't tried anything else, Paterson tanks are OK to work with, in my opinion. Load it once or twice in the bag with a dummy film or paper cut to size, then you're good to go.

One problem with keeping chemicals in the developing tank is that it is generally filled with the reels. Also, you need somewhere clean to mix the chemicals (that contain enough to fill the tank). Third, you may want to bring readymade solutions that can be sued more than once (like Diafine, or fix). I got it down to tank+bag+four 0.5L plastic bottles (only one reel), which while travellable, isn't really ideal.

What'd you give for the R3a and lenses?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

pwn posted:

And I'm just finishing my first roll of Kodachrome. I hope I can get some more before it's over.

I was just about to post this. Tourist pictures of China, you'll be my only Kodachrome memory.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

have it your weigh posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Pentax auto 110 or any 110 camera? I may have just bought one because it was so cheap.

The last producer of 110 film just called it quits, but you may still be able to get some. Development is scarce. They are cute, however!

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
So I got a Yashica-Mat 124G for ~$100 as a potential gift for my brother. Anything special I should check out? Is the meter worth trying to get running, given that it was made for mercury batteries?

(picture from the seller)

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Leyendecker posted:

Where did you pick this up?

The Swedish equivalent of eBay, Tradera.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Gnomad posted:

I found a MAt 124G at a garage sale for $50, talked them down to $30-TBH I'd have paid the $50 but people always leave some bargaining room on the more expensive items.
About that meter-I used a modern EPX625 and checked the meter against my Gossen Luna-Pro. My target came up as f5.6, 125th at asa100 on the Gossen, so I adjusted the asa on the 124 to match, mine came in at 50 asa. So yes, you can use the meter with alkaline batteries, keep in mind that the voltage will drop off differently so it wouldn't hurt to check before important shoots.

Yeah, that's what I planned to do. Turns out I'd forgotten to update my address, so the camera is on the other side of the country right now - I'd have compared it to my Nikon F2 by now, otherwise. It'll mostly shoot B&W, so I can deal with the meter being a stop off.

In other news, I played with a coworkers Hasselblad 500C/M last week. I am now broken forever.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Gnomad posted:

You have 2 kidneys and really only need 1. Just a thought.

I could probably afford one - hell, they're less than $1000.

Then I have to choose between redundancy in Hasselblad:s or kidneys.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there a place to get similarly cheap 120 film? That site doesn't seem to have the relabeled Tri-X in 120.
e: "that site" being freestyle

e2: Neopan 400 looks a little better at $3.09 per 120 roll, vs $3.79 per Tri-X roll. Freestyle seems to be a bit cheaper than B&H which is where I was doing my looking earlier.

If you don't mind ISO 100 and a no-name brand, I know the frugal photographer has Shanghai GP3, a Plus-X clone under $2 a roll if you buy a brick of 50. I haven't tried it myself, though.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
On that note, has anyone bought from KEH from abroad? A relative is traveling through Georgia, so I can arrange for local pick-up, but I expect them to treat me like a thief over my Visa card. Are there any extra delays?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Stregone posted:

Has anyone done any autochromes (I think thats what its called)? Where you take 3 black and white shots, each with a red, green, or blue filter, and then combine them into a color picture? I'd like to give it a try. Any info would be appreciated.

I imagine it'd be annoying to swap filters without moving the camera. Those old autochromes are pretty badass, though.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

HPL posted:

I suppose the easiest way to do it would be to get one of those Lomo cameras with multiple lenses and then put colour filters over each lens.

Or build a turret for gel filters, perhaps.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
I have to share something slightly... suspicious. A dude here in Sweden is selling a bunch of Nikon MF gear on our local craigslist-knockoff:

20/2.8
28/2.8
50/1.2
105/2.8 Macro
180/2.8

- all of it F/AIs. He wants the equivalent of $1100 (This is actually a better deal than it sounds. The SEK has strengthened recently.) and by his own admission these lenses cost over 6k new.

It's a pretty clear-cut scammer, but if I had a car I'd drive down to his hometown and check them just on the off chance that he's for real.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Scammer or stolen, most likely.

He actually wanted to meet up in person for the transaction. I like to think that someone is getting a great deal, rather than that someone will get held up at knifepoint when they get there.

Me, I can't afford to be scammed. I just sent my relative to KEH, and have no money left.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Hasselblad 500C/M,
Zeiss 50/4 T*,
A12 back,
waistlevel finder,
light meter knob,
rapid winder crank (not pictured)

e:

Reichstag posted:

I'm running real low on on solution A
Does not compute. Can you give an estimate to how many rolls you've run through?

Snaily fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 18, 2009

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

breathstealer posted:

That makes sense, but in my case I have a single roll of Kodachrome available and I'm not sending it to the other side of the world just to have normal snapshots developed. I haven't figured out what to do with it even though I've held on to it for a year.

I used what may very well be my only roll of Kodachrome on a trip to Asia. I just got the slides back, and they have a certain something about them that I find very attractive. I'm not sure I did anything "special" with them in regards to exposure, though, so my suggestion is to just use it (tm).

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

TokenBrit posted:

I'm not saying waste it, but if you can, just shoot one normally before you shoot anything important.

Same goes for anything you change in photography. I wouldn't shoot a wedding on a different film stock from usual and use different chemistry for the first time so I wouldn't do it for anything else that's important to me.

I found that I leave too much in the shadows by default, probably because that's how I instinctively shoot B&W film which is the only 35mm film I normally use. My medium/large format slides are always well exposed.

I also don't get reds right with kodachrome, so I probably need to change how they feature in the image. I also didn't appreciate how the contrast is different to other films, so my use of contrast to pick out subjects against backgrounds instead of depth of field doesn't work quite so well with kodachrome compared to, say, velvia.

All sorts of little things that you may have become used to in your general photography may become stumbling blocks when you use a new film.

Well, yes, if you expect to produce at a technically highly proficient level, you have to try any new stock out. Within the context of snapshots (and in the light of Kodachrome's imminent demise), I found that, for my slightly lower wants, shooting away as usual (or maybe with a wariness in regards to exposure latitude) worked just fine.

There's also the risk that if you compensate for all the quirks of the film, you won't get as much of the Kodachrome character, which may or may not be you desire.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
I got some 'expired' Ilford FP4 from my local photo store. When I got home, it turns out it expired in 1997. What can I expect? Awesome fogging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Reichstag posted:

Depends on how it was stored, at the least, probably a little speed loss.

Supposedly it's been frozen, but the rolls were out on a shelf. I'll make sure to run it at rated speed in Diafine. I'm happy I didn't buy their expired slide film, though.