Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

poopinmymouth posted:

There is an Olympus rangefinder with a 40mm 1.7 lens at my local photo store for 29 euro. I would like to purchase it. However this will be my first film camera, and I am clueless as to what film to try. I have literally zero preference or experience, other than knowing that both kodak and fuji make film.

I have played with the DXOfilmpack, and if their treatment is accurate, I like Fuji Reala 200, however I have no idea how accurate it would be to real film. If I like people, and color, especially ones that preserve skin tones well, what should I go with? Preferably something color, and that I have some leeway with (like needing to shoot a stop under exposed.

Try Reala 200 or another C-41 film for your first roll, for faster feedback. Avoid anything that says vivid colors, unless you like orange people.

For your second roll, I suggest digging out a roll of Kodachrome 64, so you can have the experience before it's gone forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pyruvate posted:

Are there any places that still have Kodachrome, or am I going to have to get it from eBay?

For what it's worth, it's not impossible to find in Sweden. Normal (converted) price is $25-30, though (but that includes development).

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I found some on a UK site a while back (probably gone) but Dwayne's has said they do NOT accept European mailers.

Do you have a quote for this? That would be an immensely lovely thing for them to do. I looked around on their site, but couldn't find anything.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Paul MaudDib posted:

:words:

Ah. That's still annoying, but not as bad as I first thought. I thought they'd stopped accepting European mailers full-stop. At least us on this side of the pond can get it processed :unsmith:

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Dwayne's doesn't accept European mailers directly. You mail them to Kodak in France or something, and Kodak bundles them and sends them to Dwaynes. I think.

I have four rolls of Kodachrome and four mailers. The mailers are done at the end of the year, and I'm kind of considering selling two of the rolls of film, but it's PKR-64 which is expensive. :smithicide:

Yeah, you send them to Lausanne in Switzerland. Not a big bother, really.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

guidoanselmi posted:

for posterity:

That's a lot better than I expected.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

gib posted:

The really cool ones can also record exif-like information (shutter speed, aperture, etc.) IIRC, some put it between shots and others put it all on a frame at the end of the roll.

The weirdest is the Nikon F6 with the MV-1. It writes EXIF-like files to a CF card.

It's the best of both worlds! :haw:

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

fronkpies posted:

My girlfriends getting me a plustek 7500i for Christmas so i can finally stop taping my negatives to the monitor.

The price sure is right for the PlusTeks. Have you found any decent reviews?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

fronkpies posted:

Few of the first scans with the plustek 7600i se.

Very pleased with it so far, never realised scanning was so time consuming though.

Nice!

I was looking at buying one of the Plustek 7x00i:s for myself for christmas, but found someone selling a CoolScan V ED (LS-50) for less than a new Plustek, though it's missing the $25 adapter for cut strips of film, so I can only scan slides right now. Looking at your scans, I may have made a bad choice.

Can't wait to share the pictures, though.

Snaily fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 16, 2009

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Hot Dog Day #20 posted:

I picked up a Plustek 7300 a couple weeks ago to go with my film developing supplies. For $190 after rebate it's definitely tough to beat in terms of the detail it pulls off the film, but (while it's not a big deal with my new shots) it brings out dust and scratches so much more than my old flatbed that most of my old film and family slides are rendered unusable. Not sure what the deal is :confused:

You should really get the ones with an i. They run infrared dust removal (some call it Digital ICE) which can really do wonders with C41 film (and E6 slides, I think), at least.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
800 ISO print film pop quiz: Any opinions on Kodak Portra 800, Fuji Superia 800, Fuji Press 800 (do they still make this?) and Fuji Pro 800z?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

HPL posted:

I've used store brand Fuji Superia 800 and it's okay, but not that great. Mind you, that's the consumer stuff not the pro stuff. To be honest, I'd rather use my DSLR for colour high ISO work or shoot black and white if it has to be film.

If I had a DSLR I probably would, too.

With the spread of comments, the question seems to have devolved into what I can find locally. Shame that film is that difficult to get these days.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I guess it depends on what country you're in but I buy almost all of my film online (usually Freestyle for B&W films, eBay for color). The local selection is pretty dismal where I live, generally only buy film from them if I'm in a rush.

I'm leaving for New York on a short trip in a few days, and realized the Superia 400 I had planned to use is pretty dull and slow after shooting Tri-X at 1250 :3:

Dismal is the word here, too. Normally I buy film online and have it delivered to a chain store, but it seems not even Fujifilm themselves care all that much about the Swedish market (they still claim that 800z is called NPZ800 on their swedish website, for instance). There's always buying at B&H or Adorama once I get to NYC, but I'd like to have some film in the camera while travelling, too. Perhaps some ISO 400 slides would be amusing.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A trip to NYC sounds like the perfect time to stock up on film! If you like Tri-X, order some Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle and have it shipped to your hotel. It's rebranded Tri-X, available in 24 or 36exp rolls, as well as 100' bulk spools.

My favorite slide film for cross processing was Kodak Elitechrome 400. Kind of hard to find now though :-\

I'm just debating how much film I can carry with me in the carry-on. 25 rolls is reasonable, right? Right?

Though if worst come to worst I'd really prefer buying film that's completely unavailable here (i.e. 800z) than film that is available, but hilariously expensive (e.g. Ektar 100, Tri-X). I also have to decide whether to buy 135 only or feed the ol' semi-broken Hasselblad some 120. Decisions, decisions.

What's the decorum for having stuff shipped to a hotel, anyway? Write name, c/o the hotel? Freestyle are not competitive for all films, but the Arista ones are amazingly cheap.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

brad industry posted:

I've carried more than that before. You can request a hand-check (and they are required to do it if you ask) although they always loving bitch about it.

I've tried that both in China and Spain to no avail. Never had a roll ruined yet, though - perhaps they both had newer machines?

Maybe third time's the charm.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Supposedly, anything less than 1600 ISO is fine to go through a machine. You can also get an x-ray film bag (which shows up as a big blob on the cameras) which they simply hand check as opposed to hand checking everything else you have.

I've heard that too. As mch as I'd like to get a lead-lined bag, it does seems excessive (and heavy). I don't plan to buy 1600+ ISO film anyway.

I had the same roll of ISO 400 Minox film in the camera during at least ten domestic flights, and that came out just fine.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

notlodar posted:

Do this. It even works on the French. Bonus points for Ilford 3200 so they can go "oooohhhh my!"

Wouldn't that be "ooooh la la!"? :)

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
A roll of C-41 film ripped off the reel inside the canister in my camera a few days ago. I have ruined parts of it by exposing it to light (before realizing what had happened, and then removing the film from the camera in a bag), but I'd like to try developing it.

Now the question is - how do I give it to the camera store down the road? Backfeed the film back into the canister and mention that they wont have to cut it off the reel? Give them the developing tank with the film in it?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

HPL posted:

Fixer stinks but you'll learn to love it.

Either it's the Diafine or the fix, but something makes my hands smell for 36 hours when I've done some developing. They smell like wood pulp factories.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

HPL posted:

Good lord, have you people never heard of gloves?

I suspect my gloves are semi-permeable, and my tank likes to leak a tiny bit, at least when I'm opening it.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

fronkpies posted:

There is no worse way to spend a Sunday than scanning and rebuilding your lightroom catalog from scratch.

Cant. Scan. Much. More.

What PlusTek is that, and how do you like it? Bonus points for not just letting your RSI-ed wrists talk.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

fronkpies posted:

It a 7600i se.

I like it, image quality is good, infrared is good although i dont use it that much, scan time is pretty fast, loading gets annoying as you have to feed the negative holder through yourself and the maximum resolution is no where near advertised but they very rarely are.

For the price range its basically one of the only choices for a dedicated 35mm scanner there is, one day ill have a nice drum scanner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisdhegarty/ The most recent 2 pages where all scanned with it, cant remember what resolution, probably about 1600 or something like that. Once i get organised ill post some better examples/comparisons.

Cool. The 7x00i SE was on my shortlist, until I found someone selling a Coolscan V for the same price (I'm lacking the capability to scan unmounted negatives, but I'm looking high and low for the FH-3 adapter for a reasonable price here in Sweden). I'd love to see a comparative review, but the market is rapidly dwindling, as far as I know.

And yes, scanning sucks balls.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Martytoof posted:

There's nothing quite like opening a camera to put film in, only to see a half-exposed roll of film staring back at you.

I literally just froze and looked at it for like ten seconds as reality sank in.

In my defence, I routinely play with it by shooting blanks with no film just when I get bored, so seeing "15" on my frame counter means nothing. I forgot to put in the little "film in here" tab on the back of the camera :(

The one time I did this (after a wild party where I'd torn the film trying to wind it back drunk, only to forget it in the morning) I only ruined the last four frames and a random smattering of three more. I was lethally quick in closing the back again, though.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

orange lime posted:

It's a waste, but it's not like I crank the thing open and let it fly. The stream of water is about 1/8" wide, if that. I should definitely get some hypo-clear though -- didn't realize it made the washing so much shorter.

Oh, and one other thing. I have some Minox film (9.5mm wide, about the width of one of those fat rubber bands) that I need to flatten out. It's on a fairly thick base and the narrowness of the film itself makes the curling worse. I am intending to re-wash it to get it all limp, but then -- how do you recommend I dry it so it goes nice and mirror-flat like the negatives I get back from the lab?

I also have problems with my minox negs - originally hang-dried. Mine have curled length-wise, so that is impossible to get the whole image in focus with my film scanner. I guess I'll have to rewash and flatten them somehow. But how?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Where did you buy yours from?

I'm confused, some of the rolls appear to be process paid, is that including sending it away?

Back in the old days, it used to be that rolls bought in the US did not have processing paid, because of a US ruling that locking film sales with processing was anticompetitive, whereas rolls bought in the rest of the world were process-paid. I imagine that's falling apart now, though. And I wonder if I'll have to pay processing for my Swedish-bought roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

HPL posted:

You can get Portra in 800.

There's also Fuji Pro 800z.