Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Looking for a film scanner that can do 35mm and 120 film.

Budget of about $500 but obviously cheaper is better.

Can anyone reccommend something which is not a horrible frustration to use and gives me enough resolution to stick my images in lightroom for (sometimes fairly significant) editing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Epson V500/V600, and throw in a Betterscanning holder. For $500ish you're in V700/V750 territory though, which might be worth the upgrade, especially if you think you might be moving in to large format someday. Even if you're not, they have somewhat better image quality, and the larger scanning area lets you scan more frames at a time, which is convenient.

Thanks, will dig around online and then see what the big camera shops have when I'm in Kyoto tomorrow.

Developing prices are not too bad here but for some reason scanning and burning to DVD is just insane.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

MediumWellDone posted:

Just to let you know, the Epson scanners go by a different naming system in Japan. I have a V600, but it's sold as a GT-X820.

I personally found it cheaper to buy one from Amazon.co.jp than somewhere like Yamamda Denki. COD home delivery is pretty cool too if you don't have a car.

Thanks for this.

Was wandering around Yodobashi today confused and unable to find any of the models mentioned earlier, booted up my phone and found your message.

I also couldn't find them on Amazon last night, but now I can!

The prices seem about 1000yen cheaper on Amazon, so not much, but better than nothing.

Do you think I'll get enough workable data with a V600 so I can salvage some of my lazily metered shots in lightroom?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The V600 + a good program like vuescan or silverfast should allow you to use multi exposure to get all that shadow detail.

Rad.

Any point in getting the professional edition of Vuescan (free updates for life, twic the price)?

Scanning software seems like the kind of thing that would hopefully just work and not really need continuous updates.

EDIT: Oh wow, somehow missed the whole thread about scanners. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Might be back in here in a few paycheques to get started on doing some home developing.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 10, 2011

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
That's cool, for some reason I thought the chemicals cost a lot.

I have a new camera arriving today or tomorrow that I want to get the hang of, first, so I'll get a few rolls through it and developed by someone else to make sure I'm metering everything ok with it then give my own developing a try.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
First roll of film on a new camera, got it developed by a small local lab, need a little help troubleshooting what's going on in the bottom left.

Is it some kind of light leak or is it something from the developing process?

It was only on 2 or 3 shots out of 12, always in the same position/pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Finally got everything I need to start doing my own black and white at home... EXCEPT the tank/reels...

Was in Nagoya last weekend and big camera store had a nice selection of tanks, but zero reels for any of them. I will be there again next weekend and they have a nice stainless steel tank which can fit 4x35 or 2x120 that I would like to buy.

Are reels fairly mix and match? Can I safely pick up that tank and then find some reels somewhere else online?