Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So it turns out my dad has had a Pentax SuperProgram camera with a ton of filters and lenses sitting in a backpack at the back of his closet for years he just handed me today to go with my x-t1. However the camera looks to be quiet crusty with dust around the dials, in the view finder, and in the camera on the mirror itself but otherwise works just fine. What's the best way to clean it up or would the best option be to bring it into a camera shop to have it done? I know literally nothing about film cameras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So while cleaning out a closet I found my dad’s old Pentax Super Program which is convenient as I was thinking about 35MM. Given it’s spent over 20 years in a bag stuffed in a closet I’m going to take it to a shop to have it looked over, cleaned, and lubricated if need. Before I go through all that and pay for it, though, is this a decent camera to get back into 35MM film with?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Speaking of getting back into film photography I was eyeing used Nikon F6 bodies with tax return money next year since they seem to go for around $900 in excellent condition from what I could which is like $1,500 cheaper than new. Has anyone had any experience with both this camera and buying used? Is there anything I would look out for or wary of when looking at a used one?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What are some good eye cups that’ll fit on a Super Program body? Got mine back after having it looked at. Besides the CLA the only thing that had to be done was replace the light seal and the foam around the mirror since they had become stiff, brittle, and flaky with age.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I was talking with the guy who runs my local second hand camera store about a Nikon F100, after the thread suggested it instead of buying an overkill used F6, and he suggested a brand of camera that I’ve never heard of that’s supposed to be good. He has on hand a Minolta a9 and a7 he suggested and from what I’ve read online these are apparently really good cameras but I’ve never even known about this manufacturer until doing further research. I guess there was some update that could be done to the a9 but he didn’t have a version with it done and of course no one does it now so he was pointing me towards the a7. Anyone have experience with Minolta cameras and the a7 in particular? There seems to be a cult following online for them

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

polyester concept posted:

If you've never heard of Minolta, I am going to wager that your photography is not at the level that would necessitate a flagship camera body regardless of the brand. Get one that feels good to hold. One that the most common buttons and features feel obvious and natural to your hands.

This is true. They were a little before my time since the last time they put out a camera I was 10 and using a Polaroid iZone and a WWF Slam Cam :laffo: but yeah my skill is at a level I would classify as “wet bag of garbage”. Luckily the store lets you test out how cameras feel in store so I think I’ll take some time to just hold and feel around each one like you say, see which one sits in my hands best

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Why are Spectra cameras massively failing across the board compared to other Polaroids? Is it just planned obsolescence starting to hit or something?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

New Pre-developed Lomo. You open the film canister and there’s a printed photo of nothing but sprocket holes that have been over exposed. Save the energy on having to go out and find something to photograph and save the money and time on having to get something developed. $39.95 per canister for the regular version, $59.95 for one with spiral bokeh

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I miss peel apart a lot :sigh: and yeah I was using Instax wide for a bit but seeing how excited Fuji is for axing film at the drop of a hat I’m incredibly wary of investing in any film ecosystem of theirs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anyone in the Rhode Island area know where’s the best place to have film developed and doesn’t ship it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I use an old rear end mini Mac with my Coolscan 9000ED so I can use the Nikon Scan native software