Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Cross quoting from the general gear thread to bring more discussion here (in reference to me looking at getting an N80+battery grip+28-80 for $140)

Luxmore posted:

Not a terrible deal on the N80, although I'd hold out for an N90, which is hugely more solid and will work with manual-focus Nikon lenses.

Meanwhile, film is more or less a personal choice, and you may have to try out a few before you find one that you like. What sort of stuff do you shoot?

I went ahead and got the N80, as my local store doesn't get a lot of this kind of stuff on consignment, as well as the fact that while the N90 will meter on a manual lens, it is not compatible with VR lenses, which is the direction I see my lenses taking in the next few years.

First off, this thing is pretty sweet with my 50/1.8. Coming from the D40, I grew tired to trying to hit the focus manually, but obviously the N80 can nail focus in a heartbeat. Well...I haven't gotten anything developed yet to confirm, but I shot 2 rolls of TX400 at EI400 at a party this weekend, and should be getting in a dark room by the end of the week (I haven't been in a dark room in maybe 10 years!!)

Has anyone here ever use Diafine w/ Tri-X 400? Why do I see conflicting reports about whether or not it will expose the TX400 to EI1600 with the "standard" proccess? I understand some people choose to set their camera to 1100 or something they feel gets the exposure they're looking for, but others seem to insist that they shoot at 400 and the Diafine doesn't overexpose it...

Also, I wouldn't mind if someone would talk about some of the finer points of shooting slide, as I'm very much used to the latitude of B&W and doing all the processing myself. I'd be really interested in shooting my campus w/ velvia before I leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What I would recommend, and it won't cost you more than a roll of film.

Go find a low contrast, a medium contrast, and a high contrast scene.

Shoot each one at EI 400, 800, 1600.

Go pick some other scenes that you will commonly shoot (portraits, landscape, still life, yada). Shoot each at 400, 800, 1600.

You can get fancier and use 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600 if you want to spend more film but I really don't think it's necessary for most...

Develop in Diafine and pick out the best looking results for each type of scene. You might find that a certain scene does best at 800 while another looks nicer at 400.

It'll only cost you a roll of film and teach you everything you'll need to know about Diafine and that film. Don't be afraid to overexpose either if you want to explore a bit, who knows, you might find that something like EI 200 and flat lighting works magic for you! :)

Great idea, I pretty much figured this is what I'd end up doing. I think I can autobracket +1 and -1 from 800 and have it all figure out in an afternoon. As far as training my eye...well that's why I'm getting into film, no shoot, review the lcd, adjust, and take the right exposure :D Now, for getting my hands on the developing tools. Expect me back in about 2 weeks asking about making prints :D

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Luxmore posted:

Also if anyone wants some short-dated (August 08) Neopan 1600 for $5 a roll, let me know, because I just picked up a crapload of it.

A quick flickr search interests me to this film, what is your experience with it? I would be interested in a few rolls if a beginner like me could develop it.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Found a good deal (free, lol) on two rolls of expired (4 months) Ilford Delta 3200. I shot it at 6400 (night street life), and was wondering if I should go with diafine or a traditional process?
I liked tri-x 400 @ 1250 ISO in diafine, and I think for what I shot, grain would probably be a plus.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Reichstag posted:

what's that? film thread print exchange?)

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I rotate my prints frequently in a number of frames in my living room, and it'd be fun to swap up some prints with other people!