Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just picked up an Epson v700 scanner which seems to do a pretty decent job of film scanning so I'm hoping it prompts me to go back to shooting film some more. Unfortunately for concerts it's horribly cost ineffective to shoot film since there are so many unpredictables and you end up needing to shoot 100+ frames to end up with a handful of good shots. I really wish there was kodachrome 800, I love the aesthetic of it but could never shoot 200 at a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'd love a recommendation of a good high speed, contrasty film for concerts. I'm thinking of pulling out my old Elan 7e body and running some film through it again. For color I used to shoot Fuji NPZ 800 pulled to 640 to make sure my blacks were true and the colors were nice and rich. I can't remember what my favorite black and white was though... I believe I used T-Max and Ilford 3200 interchangeably. and looking back at prints I can't remember which yielded which prints.

This is what I'm looking for and I'm pretty sure this was with the Ilford but I can't find my negative to double check.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

killabyte posted:

Have you considered Fuji Neopan 1600? That is a very contrasty film and I like the grain qualities. Easily my favorite high speed film.

I've never tried it, looking at some results though on GIS I like it's characteristics. I'll probably have to pick up a roll or two each of this, the Ilford Delta 3200, and T-Max 3200 and try them all in the same setting at a show.

I don't have the luxury of a darkroom at my apartment right now, is the Neopan something that my local labs should be able to develop for me?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jollygrinch posted:

Most places in Portland send it off to someone else, even ProPhoto who I generally like. Turn around time is only a couple days though. Someone recommended Blue Moon to me: http://www.bluemooncamera.com/

Their info page doesn't say anything about sending it off, but I haven't been there myself yet to take a look. I've got a roll of 220 color that I'm about to kill off that I'll need someone to develop for me, thought I'd give them a try.

For black and white I gave up looking and just got a scanner and a towel to stuff under my bathroom door (dark enough to load the reels) and do it myself now. I don't print much though, I doubt my scanning quality would compare very favorably to a pro place.

I don't mind sending it off for developing, and I actually have a pretty decent scanner that I bought earlier this year to scan some old family slides and prints. I used to take my film to quickstop photo because they would scan everything for a reasonable rate and had quick turn-around time but it'll be nice to not have to worry about that added cost. The scanner I got is an Epson Perfection v700 I haven't done much negative scanning yet but it seems to yield pretty great results with a bit of tweaking. Scanners seem to have improved a tremendous amount in performance since I was doing negative scanning in college 5 years ago or so.

I've heard good things about Blue Moon but that's quite a trek for me and pro-stop is a short detour on my work commute from SE to Beaverton.

Thanks for the info, time to pick up some film and find a show at a good venue to shoot.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jollygrinch posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to get over my hang ups about taking people's pictures on the street, protests help.

To add some film discussion, the Neopan isn't quite as contrasty as that shot makes it look. I just didn't expose that one as well as I should have. Over all it has a very nice tonal range. I'll definitely be shooting more of it.

The Westboro Baptist Church (the "god hates fags" people) are gracing us with their presence today. Hopefully they and the counter-demonstrations will provide a more sizable group to work with.

wait, wha??? they came to Portland?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jollygrinch posted:

They went down to Silverton to protest the new mayor, Stu. I went to high school in Silverton. Stu is a man, but dresses like a woman and has had breast implants. He isn't actually gay, he has a girlfriend. I'm not up on my terminology, so I don't know what that makes him. The Westboro people inform me that God hates him anyway.

zuh, seriously? that's not something I'd ever expect to happen in Silverton.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody have any experience with Voigtlander rangefinders? I get the impression they're basically just a poor man's Leica. True?

The r2a/r3a in particular have me pretty interested but I think it'll have to wait until after I'm able to save my pennies up for a 5d MkII.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtr2ar3a.htm

I especially like these results

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Reichstag posted:

The Voigtlander RFs are by no means a "poor man's Leica." They are in some ways better than the Leica RFs. They are newer, have more modern feature-sets, and yes, are much, much cheaper.The Leicas are great cameras, but I'd put them closer to equals, just different tradeoffs for each.
Some people will tout Leica's supposedly better build quality, but this should not be taken to mean that the Bessas are poorly made. They can take a beating, and feel solid. I have no doubt my Bessa could take a few falls and would keep on ticking.

That, and they are made to use ltm/m mount lenses, which are the real draw for most serious Leica users (not collectors). You will be able to choose from all of the Leica catalogue, in addition to the wonderful offerings from Zeiss, Voigtlander (Cosina), Minolta, and many others.

Also: Really nice, bright framelines.

which frame do you have? Is there such a thing as an autofocus RF? Unfortunately I've never known anyone with a rangefinder to actually be able to try them out. Since I do primarily concert photography I'd be looking at buying the widest aperture lens I could find, likely a 40mm f/1.4, and realistically I'd be shooting wide open or nearly wide open at most venues I go to. (I suppose that's not the case if I use iso 3200 though).

My major concern is that when I'm shooting wide open the action moves too fast for me to use manual focus. I'm constantly switching subjects and the performers are moving back and forth all through the show. I've heard range finders are easier to determine proper focus with in low light settings but never having used one I just don't know.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Luxmore posted:

The Voigtlander rangefinders are pretty sweet. They're not built to the same standard as a Leica, but they're very good quality machines, and the lenses are great. I promised myself I wouldn't baby my R3M, and it's been nothing but reliable in the years I've owned it (samples here).

Ugh the T70 is gross :barf:

I'd take an AE-1 or an A-1 any day over one of those... or at least a T90.

I don't suppose you know anyone in Portland that I could rent/borrow a rangefinder from? I just want to get my hands on one to try them out at a concert and see how well I can determine wide aperture focusing in the low-light conditions of a music venue.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've expressed a desire to get back into shooting film at some point and my girlfriend has told me to put a nice camera on my wish list (if not for Christmas than maybe for another special occasion in the future).

I'm wanting something with some history that would be a great conversation piece for street photography or random trips. I have a polaroid land camera that I use quite a bit as well as an SX70 that I use quite a bit less due to the unpredictable/expensive Impossible Project film... sucks to spend $3/shot on film you have to shield from light for 30 minutes to get a half-decent image.

Cost not being a huge factor I've always wanted to try a Leica M6 or M7. I've never had a chance to shoot one but have been drawn to Rangefinders for a long while and would love to try shooting a few concerts here and there w/ fast B&W film like I got started w/. The other one I've been toying with the idea of is a Rollei 3.5 (or ideally 2.8). Most of the subjects I like to shoot are low-light and hand-held so speed matters to an extent. I love the idea of just putting a fast 35mm or 50mm on a Leica and calling it good for a traveling camera. I don't picture myself doing any enlargements bigger than maybe 20x30 so medium format certainly isn't necessary but I do love shooting w/ a TLR.

Any thoughts on what a good collectable film camera would be that would inspire me to want to carry a film camera around again? Everytime I bring out my polaroid land camera I have a lot of fun and have great conversations. I want something that will do the same w/ film.

setting up a dark-room in the future is certainly a possibility as we'll be moving into a house soon w/ a good sized garage.

Any thoughts/suggestions/considerations? If I decide on a rollei I'd need to do some more homework on the different iterations D,E,F, etc. if I decide on a Leica I'd want to try one before committing but it's hard to find anyone who has one to loan in the area.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Paul MaudDib posted:

My personal opinion is that you don't get much real value out of a Leica. The glass is pretty good, but you can put it on a cheap Bessa or something and get equal results. While ergonomics and build quality is a real thing, I don't think it's worth paying several times as much.

Rolleis own though, I love my 3.5E Xenotar. Rolleicords are cheap and great, the Rolleiflex model gets you auto-sensing film loading and a TTL reflex finder (which makes focusing a snap), and the Planar/Xenotar models are great. 2.8s are significantly more expensive than the 3.5s for pretty marginal gain - they're a half stop faster, but the 3.5s are equally good in terms of image quality. There's also no difference between Planars and Xenotars apart from collectibility, they are essentially identical optically. Apart from some models that are especially collectible, generally the higher the letter the newer and more expensive it is. There's a pretty big jump right after the E series, so I'd look for a 3.5D or 3.5E on any sort of budget.

Shutter speed relates to field of view, not focal length, so figure you'll need to stay above (1/35mm equivalent focal length). TLRs can actually be shot pretty slow because they have a leaf shutter and they're fairly big and stable, and the Tessar/Planar models can be shot wide open. Depending on your use, the Yashica Lynx 14 is also a good low-light shooter. I also like the Olympus XA, which has a slightly slower but wider lens.

For maximum class and collectibility, though, you should buy a Kodak Medalist. It's got a rigid body like a TLR, rangefinder focus, and a Heliar-type lens. It does use 620 film though - you either need to respool the film to 620 spools, or have it converted to use 120 on one/both spool.

I guess the main thing holding me back from the TLR would be size/portability. I appreciate the form factor of a Leica and also the lower cost of shooting 35mm would be a bonus... I'd imagine working with 35mm in a home darkroom would be easier and cheaper than 120mm too no?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MrBlandAverage posted:

I've never heard anyone say they wanted to shoot Leica to save money. 120 is just as easy as 35mm to process and not significantly more expensive considering how much more negative you get.

obviously shooting Leica isn't a budget decision. But it'd be nice to keep the per-roll cost down after the initial investment.

I'm also thinking if I ever want to try to shoot a concert or event w/ film I'm going to be much better served by a rangefinder than a TLR.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Thank you for all of the awesome recommendations. I'll definitely be needing to get hands-on with a few of these.

A few points of clarification... One of the biggest factors keeping me from shooting street stuff more frequently is the bulk of carrying my DSLR (5DmkII) rig around. I'm not expecting to find the type of film camera I want much smaller than a modern DSLR but I definitely definitely do not want a Pentax67 or Mamiya7 or whatever other ridiculously large MF system w/ interchangeable lenses. A TLR is about as bulky as I'm willing to get for now and still feel comfortable putting it in my duffle bag for weekend trips and what not.

I shoot concerts w/ a DSLR w/ a 50mm f/1.4, 24mm f/1.4, and 16-35mm. I'm set for actually taking consistent shots at shows. Even pretty satisfied w/ using VSCO filters to do passable B&W conversions. I'm more interested in renewing that sense of challenge as a novelty (not something I'd do regularly) that came w/ shooting 35mm pre-DSLR's. I think it'd be a lot of fun to carry a 35mm rangefinder along to shows every now and then to snap a few rolls of 1600 B&W and see what turns out.

I'm totally open to checking out alternative MF TLR's along the lines of the Ricohflex or Rolleicord, as well as alternative 35mm RF's along the lines of the Bessa's & Oly35's. I'm much less interested in checking out the larger MF's.

I'd love to hear more about what differentiations or tradeoffs there are between the Ricohflex, Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Autocord, etc. or the Bessa, Oly35, Leica's

I'm more drawn to the later Leica's and Rolleiflex's because of their legacy/heritage and some of the creature comforts of things like aperture priority. Also I'm not paying for it so... :10bux: :holy:
A lot of the paid events I shoot are sort of fashion/style events where carrying around a premium brand can spark some good conversations, open up doors for networking, and I know it sounds ridiculous and vain but it can't be completely discounted possibly improve my perceived legitimacy or make me stand out from the crowd a bit more.

Sorry for not doing a very good job of conveying why I was looking at those particular cameras earlier. I'm definitely keyed in to how well most of these hold their resale value which is another reason I don't mind going for something that might seem like overkill.

So... it'd be something like 60% street & travel stuff, 20% outdoors/hiking & landscapes, 20% events/concerts

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Spedman posted:

Your pictures will come out just as bad with a Leica as they would with a Bessa, but for 1/10th of the cost. To me, getting a Leica just for its little red dot so you have a conversation starter is a pretty stupid thing to do, you'll just have a "steal me" sign around your neck when you travel and be worried about dropping the drat thing while hiking. Also I wouldn't be comfortable asking my significant other to spend so much on a camera, just because "you said I could get whatever I wanted", but I'm probably projecting here.

Tldr: Leicas are for dentists.

I'm pretty sure the differentiation is Leica's are built to be more bullet-proof than Bessa's.

I honestly wasn't expecting that I'd come into this w/ people hating on the brand. I mean if you've ever had a bad experience with a Leica or Rolleiflex then I get it, share those anecdotes with me. Please don't try to steer me away from a Leica or Rolleiflex because of the price though, I've been pretty clear that the price shouldn't be a major factor here (within reason: I'm not going to buy a Leica M9 anytime soon just like I'm not going to be buying a Canon 1DX anytime soon.)

I'm likely going to give her a short list of some cameras I'd love to own in the future and if the occasion arises that she wants to buy me a nice gift then great, I'm not going to stamp my foot and throw a fit if I don't get exactly what I want. This is more aspirational stuff but we're at a place in life where a $1-3K gift isn't out of the question. More details than I need to share, I'm just trying to get feedback on some specific cameras from people who actually have experience with them but maybe I need to go find the dentist messageboard.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's pretty clear you decided before posting in this thread that you want a Leica, so just ask for that.

I'm totally open to being talked out of it, I just want it to be for the right reasons, not because people think the only people who use Leica's are dentists I know it's from Mad Men

Spedman posted:

Again, I was totally projecting, so sorry if I came of a bit snarky, but I really didn't like your reasoning for getting a Leica, as you seemed to like the idea of owning a Leica and using it as a status symbol rather than as a super high quality 35mm rangefinder. But if you get one, love it and shoot the gently caress out of it, then more power to you, seriously.

And the concept of having $1-3k for a gift is completely foreign to me, so if its not an issue, just get one. But remember the glass ain't cheap either.

No worries, I can totally see how I came off as an idiot by stepping into the film thread with an opening post like that... honestly I shot 35mm film for several years before picking up my first digital camera, I've been away from it for a long time but I'm no stranger to it, I know the stereotypes that come w/ Leica's but I also know that the few people I know who have owned them have always praised them for being the best cameras they've owned. I want something that I can hang onto for a long time and feel excited to shoot with, ideally something that I could pass along to family. I was shooting w/ my polaroid land camera over the summer and had a friend's grandmother come up to me to tell me that she has her deceased husband's Leica from the 30's and she offered to give it to me if I would use it to take a portrait of her family because nobody in her family is a photographer. The moment of extreme giddiness that came from the thought of being handed an antique Leica I thought spoke volumes to the reputation they have. Sure, that's my perception that is not unaffected by marketing and media but it's still a thought that I'm sure anyone in this thread would be excited by. I didn't follow up on it because I'm sure her family would have hated me for trying to take a family heirloom away and I'm pretty sure she has mild dementia but it was still a fun thing to dream about for the few minutes it lasted.

RustedChrome posted:

I have a Leica M6 as well as a Bessa 2A and 3M. I shoot with the M6 regularly, the Bessa's sit unused most of the time. Yes, the Voigtlanders work fine (mostly) but the feel and shooting experience is so much better with the Leica. It's just a much more precise machine and it really does feel like it's built to last several lifetimes. I can look at developed film strips and spot the ones from the M6 simply by how precise the spacing between each frame is. The gap between frames on the Bessa's are various widths. I guess it's really intangible things that make me like the M6 more. Also, mine has a black dot and blacked out lettering so it doesn't even scream "Leica" to anyone who sees it.

And this is exactly the type of thing I was hoping to hear, thanks for sharing!

alkanphel posted:

I don't own a Leica but I have plenty of friends who do. From what I know, get an M2 if you want something that will last forever and if you don't need a meter or don't mind spending more for an external meter. Get a M6 TTL if you want a meter inside and TTL flash sync. Get the MP if you want something like the M2 but with a meter inside and you have no budget.

Also note that Leica film bodies are the cheaper part of the system, it's the lenses that will kill your wallet. Unless you start to explore all the different M-mount lenses out there, like Voigtlander, Konica, Zeiss, etc.

also super helpful, thanks! I know the lenses are $$$ I'm envisioning sticking to one lens for a good long while, probably just pick up a decent 35 or 50.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd recommend a Yashica Lynx 14 if you wanted to focus on a concert rangefinder, but it does sound like you want the Leica. If money's no object, yeah, go hog wild.

I'd love to hear what would make the Lynx a better rangefinder for concerts. Again, I wouldn't be heartbroken if I decide it doesn't make sense to take it to shows. It'd be fun but not a deal-breaker, I'm much more interested in a street/travel camera.

Sorry for thread-hijacking, I appreciate the suggestions and hopefully at some point soon I'll be able to actually contribute my own experiences w/ film again.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'll just leave this here...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/wan/4380586164.html