Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Welp, mysterious death of my yellow tang. Found the corpse remarkably complete (no eyes tho) and flushed it.

Sorry to hear that. I bury my fish near my shed. Maybe in a million years an alien paleontologist will be baffled by fossils that don't belong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rallos posted:

Caught my puffer puffing up today! Nothing stressed him out that I could figure out. Just turned to look at the tank and there he was all puffed up. He deflated himself shortly after this photo and came begging for food so I think he was just "stretching his muscles" so to speak.

:3:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I can add Humu Humu to list of species of animals that have bitten me. He's been getting bolder lately, last night I wasn't watching while siphoning and he got me right on the fingertip. Not big enough to draw blood yet but it was a pretty good pinch!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Florida shark torture video has me in a bad mood. :mad:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I have about 15 new aiptasia in my substrate. :negative:

I don't see any viable alternative to pulling the substrate and starting from drat near scratch.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I have had excellent success in one of my tanks that got aiptasia with a file fish.. have you tried that before you gut the whole thing?

Issue is my triggerfish. I suspect he will beat the piss out of a filefish. I could put him in my QT but it only a 10 gallon.

I already pulled the live rock a few months ago. Right now it is just aragonite and a few sections of PVC pipe for the fish to go in and out of.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

As luck would have it today was the last day of dollar per gallon sale at Petco. Picked up a 20g high. Trigger will go in the 10g, tang and wrasse in the 20. Cycling both QTs first.

Once fish are out of display tank I'm going to fill it with freshwater and run for a week or two.

All while this is going on I'm going to be ammonia cycling my rock in a trash can.

:psyduck:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Never ending Aiptasia nightmare update. My QT tanks are still not cycled. I guess I was inconsistent in feeding Ammonia because they both stalled.

Within the last two weeks, my rectangle trigger started looking faded and hiding a lot. I have suspicions that he was always not totally healthy. I think he was partially blind. He was really bad at eating, he would miss constantly when trying to bite food. Usually he would get it pinned in a corner before he could hit. I tried feeding him some scallop and I would practically have throw it in his mouth. He would then chew and spit it back out. Ditto for shrimp and ahi tuna.

Yesterday when I got home from work he was just laying on his side in a corner. He didn’t try to escape the net. I quickly drained one of the QT tanks and did 100% water change plus double dose of prime. I gave him a 4 minute dip in RODI water and then put him in the QT with melafix. His color returned and he actually looked better.

This morning he was dead. I’m pretty bummed he was my favorite fish. Now I’m second guessing myself on everything. Was he spitting it all out or just being messy? Was he really blind or just clumsy? Should I have left him in the display tank? Part of the reason I pulled him was the aiptasia are everywhere now. Maybe he was getting stressed from being stung? My yellow tang and wrasse are thriving though. Display tank is 0 ammonia and nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate. I don’t know, sucks. Feel so bad for the little guy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I"m this far committed I'm going to see it through. I'll post some pictures this weekend of the current amount of aiptasia. It's ridiculous.

Trigger was buried with full honors near my shed. My neighbors must think I'm crazy but I've never been down with putting pets in the toilet. They're family.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, it was great but really hard to watch at times.

Just watched it. :smith:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Here's some pictures of my aiptasia infestation. My QT is finished cycling and the yellow tang and wrasse are safely away. Tonight I'm going to start draining the tank and I'm going to refill it with freshwater. Screw you aiptasia!

There's probably between 100-200 in the tank right now. They have taken up in the substrate as our can see, and also on the filter intake, heater and pumps. I'm guessing there are probably some in the filter as well. I put a couple of sections of PVC that were infested in a a small tank filled with saltwater and it was a massacre of aiptasia and some bristelworms that had stowed away. I thought I had one hermit crab left but I haven't seen him since last week. I was hoping to save him from the freshwater purge but oh well.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I did the deed. I dropped the atomic bomb on my tank. 100% water change, replaced with 56 degree tapwater with no dechlorinator. My powerheads are no blowing around clouds dead bristleworms. The few aiptasia still visible are shrunken and black. I did see one small shell on top of the sand, perhaps the sole survivor hermit crab. I immediately transferred it to a little tank with normal saltwater but no signs of life.

My only fear is that the tank will really start to smell like poo poo tomorrow while I'm at work.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Bonus:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Yup, it smells like low tide at garbage beach.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Guess what my LFS just started selling? Bergia nudibranchs.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

theres a will theres moe posted:

It's like ten thousand spoons

I literally LOL’d at this. Thanks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

What a wonderful smell I've discovered! I left my Eheim canister filter unplugged but still full of water and various filter media. I only intended to leave it like that for a day or two, but the holidays hit and it turned into two weeks. When I opened it it smells like a mix of dead fish and diarrhea. I rinsed everything out, added some extra sponges from my saltwater QT and hooked it back up. Added my fully cured base rock back to the display tank a few days ago with the powerheads running. Now all water circulation and filtration is running and I have the heater running at 85. Hopefully the bacteria will dig it and it won't take super long to recycle. No sign of aiptasi, or anything really other than for my first diatoms today.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Seconding the RODI unit. My algae issues went way down when I made the switch. FOWLR setup.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My RODI system is the size of briefcase. I hooked it into the brass pipe above my laundry room sink and it sits on a shelf above it. When I need to make water it’s just a matter of opening some valves and putting a 5gallon water cooler bottle on the end of the output. With the valves closed all closed the laundry sink works as normal.

I then take my bottle of RODI water and mix it with instant ocean in a 5 gallon bucket and use it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

our foray into the marine aquarium life is coming along slowly but surely, and we're acquiring the last of our equipment. just need to get our return pump, display tank light, and the RODI system. I'm looking at the light and RODI below; thoughts, comments, concerns with my choices?

Lights

RODI

I figure the 100gpd on the RODI will be sufficient for the 55g marine and 38g freshwater displays we have, with some room if when we go bigger.

RODI is not recommend for freshwater aquariums. They need the dissolved minerals. You could add some stuff back in but there are very few situations where it is worth the hassle.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

It also depends on your source water. Guppies for example don’t do as well in hard water so a 50:50 ro and tap works best for them if you water is hard like mine.

Also I thought discus freaks used rodi and dosed mineral salts?

In other news I got some new anthias and frags. All looked good and then my led ballast tried to burn my house down :/

Discus are an exception because they are so particular it’s often easier to start with pure water and add different products to get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What minerals? I've been using rodi on my fw tank for years, since I already have it for the sw tank. If you're compensating for evaporation I'd think you'd want really pure water since minerals are left behind.

Iron, potassium, phosphate, etc. Remember, fish drink too. It’s fine to use for top off, but everything I’ve ever read on the topic says it’s not good for plants especially, but fish as well.

• Locked thread