Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
For people who have the money, but are intimidated by starting out, you can always use GARF's bullet proof reef system. All you have to do is put in your tank size, and then it tells you exactly what you need to buy, and when to do stuff.

http://garf.org/bulletproofreef/bulletproof.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Can somebody help advise on lights? I have a 36" rimless tank that I'm just starting as a marine tank. I'd like to find a cheap lighting solution to get going - normal output florescents would be fine for now, as I'm just planning on beginning with zoanthids and xenia. I can upgrade in the future.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Thanks for the lighting advice. I have a 24" marineland led unit, which I know isn't gonna cut it, but I was just hoping to keep costs down, as the wife isn't thrilled about a bunch of purchases all at once. Might have to wait a few more paychecks to get everything I need, I guess.

Volkerball, check out garf.org. They probably have the best instructions on plywood tanks, and are very well respected, despite the look of the site.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
LFS is selling live rock for $6/pound. Is this a reasonable price?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Thanks for advice, all. I appreciate it.

After some research I feel pretty comfortable starting with my lighting by building a dimmable 12 led unit, for basically the same cost I would've paid for T5s, and I can do another one of them in a few months when I'm ready to add more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
How well do you know your local LFS and how set are you on keeping permanent residents in your tank? I know some people that continually buy baby fish of species that will outgrow their tank, grow them out, trade them to the LFS for more fish/whatever. You're taking a risk in assuming the LFS will want your fish, but if you talk to them and know that there's always a demand for a certain fish you like, it might widen your possibilities.

Also, you are right: puffers are awesome. :derp:

• Locked thread