Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Saltwater question ahoy!

I've had 2 betta tanks for 2-3 years now and I got a 10g freshwater up and running over the summer. I'm in love with it but miss the excitment of getting everything together and starting an aquarium. I've been researching nano saltwater aquariums for a few months now but have some questions to see if its even possible for me to have one.

I live in a house with other roommates so all of this is confined to my bedroom which isnt the biggest. I see everyone say to get a 5-20g bucket setup to premix your saltwater and get it to proper temperature. Makes sense however I really wouldnt want a big ugly bucket of water just sitting in my bedroom. Should I abandon this now since I cant have this bucket setup constantly? I have no problem pulling it out of the closet and mixing it the night before though.

I'm looking at a 3-10g "pico" tank, probably closer to 3g as I really like the jbj pico. However I read somewhere where a guy was having to top his 3g off everyday or the salinity would shift. I also dont have a problem with topping this off myself except I'm usually gone on the weekends. Is this normal for so much to evaporate in a day for a salinity change in a small tank? I would really not have a ATO mostly just because I like to keep it as simple as possible. If I really need an ATO then what do you guys recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

csammis posted:

You could use a gravity/pressure driven solutionlike the one on my tank.
I have seen these and loved the concept but I saw many posts about people have problems with them leading to overflowing. Have you ever had a problem with it?

You filter your own water? Is this the most cost effective solution instead of buying jugs at the grocery store and the such?
e: I just read earlier in the thread where you talked about your filtration setup. How often does the filter need to be changed on that?

Anyone have any good links to a 8g-10g setup? I wont be trying to grow any crazy corals just the basic lower light ones.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 30, 2008

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Thanks! I'll be sure to post any updates if I go ahead any do this. Can anyone recommend a good 10gal that doesnt need to be modded to hell?

Thoughts on the Aquapod 24 gallon, 64W Compact Fluorescent System?

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 30, 2008

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Hood Ornament posted:

Modding seems to be part of the fun, actually.
I have no probably modding, I love it. However I just dont want to buy a kit and end up replacing everything besides the actual tank anyway.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Went by my local salt water hangout/store today, even though I don't have a SW tank, its just a really nice place. Here is a cell phone picture of their 1200 gal reef display tank. It is amazing.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I have read that T5s basically produce the same heat as MH, it just doesn't seem that bad because it is distributed so much evenly over the tank instead of one blazingly hot source. I have never had T5s though so I can't say from experience, I do know that MH reflectors get hot as poo poo and don't accidentally rest your arm on them.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Keeping the liverock damp will be fine, wrap it in wet papertowels or something. Thats how it is usually shipped to the LFS. I would have a rubbermaid at home waiting to put the rock in though, minimize the die off as much as possible. How old is the tank? If it is pretty old then you may be best just getting all new sand, disturbing the sand bed in established tanks can stir up all kinds of gunk.

If the equipment is all good then $1500 is a good deal but if its off brand/cheap stuff then you will definitely end up replacing all of it as you get more into the hobby.

I just moved my 33g and that sucked enough.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

The return pump is fine, people over do it all the time but I believe the sump should have minimal flow through it. It is a filter, it needs time to filter.

I don't have a name brand in mind but I would get one where you can hook up a air pump to it so it remains sucking. If possible I would drill the tank though, I know people have used hang on overflows for years but it would worry the hell out of me.

Lights look fine, the most important thing is individual reflectors which it says it has and bulb choice. So I would just upgrade the bulbs and be happy.

e: about fuge's
I have a 10g sump with plenty of room for a fuge. But if you want bigger compartments you can always get a hang on fuge for the sump or tank. I plan on getting a hang on fuge for the sump to clear up some space.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Kill_Discussion posted:

It's alive!

3 hermit crabs, 8 snails, 3 peps and 2 skunk shrimp, 2 ocellaris (one orange, one black), 1 blue tang, and a banggai cardinal all now call my tank home. Between all the live stuff, some food, and a couple other aquarium necessities we dropped a small fortune at the LFS. Maybe in early December I'll buy some corals and consider it an early Christmas present.

I can see how this hobby can easily turn into an obsession. I'm already thinking "Man, this 36G is not big enough for all the cool poo poo I want in there."

Did you dump all of this in at once? And your right about one thing, that tank isn't big enough for all that cool poo poo, as in the tang specifically.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Trillian posted:

I would really love a reef tank, but something is bugging me. How possible is it to stick to aquacultured livestock?

Its much easier now, online retailers like liveaquaria have a huge amount of aquacultured livestock.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Hoping someone here has any helpful suggestions related to my tanks problems. Its getting really frustrating to the point I would really like to take it down and start with another tank completely. I'm just going to link my 2 threads from RC.

The only change since posting is that I now have a Deltec MC500 for a skimmer.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums//showthread.php?t=1775869

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773706

Basically all my fish are doing happy (2 clowns, a purple chromi, and a diamond goby). And some of my corals are doing great while others are doing terrible. I have some candy canes that I saved from another reefer that have just taken off, also a frogspawn that is working on splitting and does great. I have 2 frags of zoas that are great color and open fine. While all my other zoas havent opened in weeks/months. I have a GBTA that opens and gobbles up food, looks good.

Also have a leather that I adored in my old nano since it was huge, but it hasnt opened in weeks/months either and I'm worried I'm going to lose it. In the middle of this current situation I started dosing a small amount of kalk in the top off and the leather actually opened for a few days again but then closed.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I've thought of this and tried moving things around to lower flow areas with no benefit. Also many have said things like never too much which I don't really believe. And the 2 zoa frags that are doing best are right in front of one powerhead.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Woops should have mentioned that I got rid of all the HA, have some cyano now but I feel confident I can conquer that as I have before. The HA really bothered me.

Nothing really changed when I switched to T5s, I felt like the lighting was just way too much since I didnt really plan on keeping any SPS besides a few caps I already have. Everything was doing just as bad or worse under MH. I have some zoas on the sand, some on the very top and some in the middle. None of them are opening.

While I cant see anything, I was thinking maybe they were infected or something of that sort. Should I try dipping them, if so with what?

I've been wanting a vortech but wasn't sure how to position one in the tank, seems like in a 4' tank I would need two which is definitely out of budget.

e:
I use carbon and GFO that I get from a local club member which many others in the club use in a TLF reactor.

Man looking back at pictures of the tank when I first set it up, it just looks so much healthier. And I noticed a lot more corals that I've lost. A kenya tree (i thought these were invincible) and my mushrooms have shrunk by half at least.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 31, 2010

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Yes I make my own water, filters were just changed a few weeks ago when I read 4-5TDS. I'm well aware of leathers shedding and have experienced it but this is months now.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I got a GBTA around the same size or a little larger for $30 from my local club (richmond, va) a while ago. Its grown a lot too.

heres a pic when I first got it, it now has actual bubbles.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Depends on what coral you have but I would never want mine over 10 and I aim for as close to 0 as possible with my mixed reef.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

They dont help anything but I love the way the tank looks at night with them. Its kind of a room divider in my studio apartment though so its a nice night light too.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Picked up a Elos mini with stand/sump/everything else this weekend for $300. Will post some images when it gets all put together. Just waiting on a LED fixture for it. Really want the AI Sol Nano but the ship date keeps getting pushed back.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Been building a 24 LED hanging fixture for my Elos Mini, pictures below for anyone interested. Just waiting on my ALC for my reef keeper so I can set the tank up.

http://imgur.com/a/bzyYN#5clEj

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Where the hell does one even find a Japanese Bullhead Shark?

I can't even find anyone keeping these in a aquarium of any size. You have told him pretty much everything, the shark will die in little to no time. I'm sure like many sharks they are extremely sensitive and a uncycled aquarium that it barely fits in and run by this moron, it will perish quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I dont get the point either, sure wash it over in RO water or something before putting it in the tank but surely no reason to cook it like live rock.

• Locked thread