Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
why let a thread with such great information die?

I'm a complete newbie to reef tanks but I recently got inspired to make my new unused 75 gallon aquarium into a SW reef tank. I have run very successful planted FW aquariums.

What exactly is the purpose of an RO/DI filter? Is it really necessary in growing those beautiful corals that are pictured? I want to focus on the coral more so than the fish.

How do corals grow? Will they just pop up from the live rock or will I have to buy/order them separately?

How much Live Rock would I need for a 75? I don't want it to be too heavy laid with rocks, just enough to have a lot of coral and sustain a few fishes. I want there to be a good amount of open space.

What is the best and easiest method of filtration for a tank of my size (75)? I have an extra 20g long sitting around, can I turn it into a sump?

What kind of lighting and substrate would I need for a medium maintenance tank? I already have a T5 HO Glo fixture that is 24 inches. I can replace the bulbs for reef ones and get another of the same unit to cover the rest of the 24 inches. Should I do that or just get a new unit?

I checked the reef websites but they are very vague and it seems like I should already know this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I think I'm just gonna buy a whole new lighting system. Hopefully this one will fit in my hood. http://cgi.ebay.com/ODYSSEA-48-260W...tem300270422031 is the one that I am thinking of ordering. The only problem I see coming up is finding a place I could buy bulbs for it.

I think I will be investing in an RO/DI unit for my tank. Any brand recommendations?

From what I understand I don't need to invest in a canister filter, just a protein skimmer that I will be putting in my sump? My tank will be glass so I am at quite a conundrum of what I will do about the siphon and overflow.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Just found out that ALL coral and anemone in Hawaii is illegal. What complete bullshit. That doesn't stop everyone from doing it though; there is a huge community of coral traders. I am still determined! Plus the fish are amazing! Do coral just randomly pop up on live rock sometimes or do I really need to get frags?

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
I think I'll concentrate on making the fish happy for now until I can find people to trade with. I'm kind of sick of my schooling fish so I'm sure I wanna get big colorful fish with personality.

What is the logic behind not using bioballs in my sump? I plan to put a pad where the water comes in along with a protein skimmer but I'm not too sure what else to throw down there.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
So I could get my cycle going with LR, Sand, SW and a few fish with a protein skimmer hanging on the back and still have it function? I'm pretty I'll be adding a powerhead or two to increase circulation.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
So the best order to add things to a tank is sand > salt water > test parameters > add lr > cycle > parameters again > fish?

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Just ordered a few things from marine depot!

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~ACUPDB.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~HD19101~child~HD19201.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~IC1515.html

Hope I made the right decision. Cost quite a bit too! Anyone have experience with any of these things? I decided not to cheap out on the lights and get the retro icecaps. With that ballast could I add more caps and reflectors if I want to upgrade? I'm also gonna keep it fish only with live rock. What kind of bulbs should I get?

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
75 Gallons. I was hoping the powerheads would be enough but I guess I'll throw another one or two in there with my light bulb order. If it matters I want the colors of the fish to pop out a bit more. It's going in the living room and I want it to be appeasing to the non aquarium type of person too haha.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Looks like I got hosed again :(.

I bought the Ice Cap complete retrofit kit from Marine Depot.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~IC1515~tab~0.html

You would think that it would be easy running a salt water aquarium in Hawaii, being surrounded by the ocean at all but so far its been hard. I got my package today and decided to order the bulbs. When I added the bulbs to my cart, it costs over $100 to ship them to my area! Does that sound right to you? I have another t5 light fixture for my freshwater so I took out the bulb to see and it fits perfectly on the fixture. Should I buy the same bulbs except longer?

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
My reflectors came in and the bulbs that my local store has works with the system:dance:!

All I'm waiting for is the 20g long that I will be using as a sump, 10,000k bulb and actinic bulb. I ordered them through the store and they should be here on Wednesday! Almost ready to put the whole thing together and test it out. Gonna be using an overflow box for this one. Any tips on setting up the sump/refugium as far as plumbing goes?

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Would it help these cycles blow over faster if I used the RO water from the stations outside of grocery stores?

What would be the best way to clean sand I get from the beach? Ordering sand isn't an option and none of the stores carry anything other than crushed coral. Reef grows not too far off shore and our reefs are popular collecting grounds for aquarium fish.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...

Psimitry posted:

:argh: I thought we put this issue to bed.

But I'm just so CHEAP:(!

For all the awesome advice I'm getting here's some pics from my vacation to the Philippines.

There was a district dedicated to pets and it was just stall after stall of aquarium stuff. I could start a whole new thread with all the pics I took of all the types of puppies/kittens/fish/birds/whatever they had but since this is the SW thread I'll keep it down.

Sorry for the poo poo photography, it was just so surreal being surrounded by all this coral/life when all of it is illegal where I live:aaaaa:.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
I've already blown quite a bit not cutting corners and decided on the RO unit and crushed coral.

I'm very confident in having a successful run at this.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
RO/DI and refractometer came in the mail today. Trip to Home Depot to plumb it and to buy a few bags of sand and I'll be ready to set this bitch up. It's been pretty enjoyable getting everything together (not so much for my wallet), doing all the research, and bothering Psimitry for his opinion. I'll have pics up tomorrow of setup.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
The RO/DI is filling the tank at a beautiful trickle. Gotta keep an eye on this thing while it fills. The RO/DI is treating me really well so far and according to the local aquarium forums my area is known to have some pretty bad tap water. In the mean time ill be looking up fish profiles to decide how I'm gonna stock this thing.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Wow great pics. I can't wait to put fish in my tank. I just put the salt in and letting it mix so I can make small adjustments in SG. The water is really cloudy but it'll clear up soon. I went to the LFS and decided I want to get a copperband angel.

Sorry to hear about your tank Psimitry :(.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Shh :ssh:.. It's cycling.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
It does in the nuclear power plant beach biotope.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
And a Moorish Idol that doesn't die!

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Went diving and tide pooling today and caught some cool stuff. Didn't take pics but I caught a fairly large boxfish and some hermit crabs. I gave the boxfish to a friend while my tank cycles. I hope the hermit crabs will do ok too. There are also tons of starfish and other things that are really nice here but I doubt I want a lot of those species in my tank.

Also saw tons and tons of brittle starfish but wasn't sure if they were tank-safe.

Vigilantly Vigorous fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 2, 2009

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
All of em were black. I thought they were just a bunch of hairy worms till I turned a big rock over and saw 3 or 4 huge ones just bunched around. Next time I go I'll be sure to get one.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Here is what I'm hoping to have in my tank but I want more opinions from experienced aquarists on how it will fare.

Lawnmower Blenny
Copperband or Sailfin butterfly
Vagabond Butterfly
True Percula Clown
Blue reef Chromis or Blue Damsel
Brittle starfish
Yellow Tang

The "or"s are one or the other. Whatever I can find first or whatever would be more suited.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
I meant Longnose Butterfly http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=216&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4. The brittle star I will catch myself and all I have ever seen so far are black ones. Thanks for the words of advice, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wait on the copperband until I have a bit more experience and I find a good opportunity.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
I'm probably gonna keep an eye on whatever I get in a separate tank for a night or two. Won't be that difficult considering the benefit. The nice thing about just buying from the store is that they usually tell you if it's eating or healthy.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Where do you collect from Ludnix?

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
The harlequin shrimp are beautiful. Too bad I've only seen the red variety here.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
I don't know if I should be confused or frustrated but my Ammonia has showed little to none ever since I put my LR in. Two days after there was a small Ammonia spike but since then it has been 0. Nitrite didn't show up but there was Nitrite. I'm gonna give it another week before I test again. Should the skimmer be on though? It's putting out a lot of nasty stuff.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Yeah I've got a few medium dime sized aiptasias in my tank. Probably just gonna use lemon juice or something.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Lets just start a new thread already and compile all this awesome information we have. The opening post isn't that informative for starters or appealing for potential hobbyists.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
I put a 20long under my 75. The skimmer I bought was a tight fit which makes it a bitch to take out to clean. Take your comfort into consideration.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Ok so I've narrowed it down to these fish...

2 Cleaner shrimp
Red Firefish
Royal Gramma
Longnosed Butterfly
Powder Brown Tang OR Red Stripe Angelfish

With my tank all cycled I can start stocking soon.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Yeah the main SW store here is really tight with it's customers and one of the nice ones that worked there told me not to buy any of their cleaners because they have been dying/getting old shrimps. I already added a firefish and the longnosed butterfly today. I wish I had my camera working right about now.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Those are some beautiful pictures. What kind of lights are you running over it?

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Back in the hobby after a year off. Would a Tunze Nano Osmolatorbe appropriate for a 12x12x12 7.5 gallon cube? This would be for a nano reef with no sump.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
It feels so good to start a new tank after a long break. First one was a 75g FOWLR now I want to go nano reef. Here are the plans for equipment so far.

12x12x12 7.5g rimless cube
Ecoxotic pico LED arm with two white/blue and one blue strip.
AC30 W/media removed

Some pictures!

Was thinking about getting the nano osmolator but I will probably get it. Has anyone ever used pure water club RO/DI? http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=270

Seems like a good deal since I am only getting RO/DI for a nano tank. Planning on keeping just soft corals.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Was scared that my desk would not hold the weight so I am putting it on my dresser until I know for sure. I was able to sit on the place I would put it for a solid 5 minutes and I weigh 180lbs, think this would be too heavy for my desk? The tank is 7.5gal for the record.

Seeding! Light is just for photo, waiting on my sexy ecoxotic LEDs.

Will be adding base rock tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Awesome. I'll move it back onto my desk where it rightfully belongs.

• Locked thread